Lens correction and Photo Ninja

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Questions
rswa
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Lens correction and Photo Ninja
Apr 14, 2013

I am quite impressed with the detail and color that Photo Ninja reveals, but I much prefer the automatic lens correction found in ACR or NX2. I know one can manually correct lens distortion in PN, but this is not always easy, especially if there are no clear horizontal lines in the picture. Is there some way of combining the strengths of these programs — e.g., having the lens correction from ACR or NX2 be read by PN?

I appreciate hearing any suggestions since I don't want to have to choose between an easy rendering of detail and an easy rendering of geometry.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens correction and Photo Ninja
In reply to rswa, Apr 14, 2013

rswa wrote:

I am quite impressed with the detail and color that Photo Ninja reveals, but I much prefer the automatic lens correction found in ACR or NX2. I know one can manually correct lens distortion in PN, but this is not always easy, especially if there are no clear horizontal lines in the picture. Is there some way of combining the strengths of these programs — e.g., having the lens correction from ACR or NX2 be read by PN?

I appreciate hearing any suggestions since I don't want to have to choose between an easy rendering of detail and an easy rendering of geometry.

When developing your raw file in ACR turn off any automatic edits that you believe Photo Ninja performs better. Use ACR to perform the edits that it does best.

Open your file in Photoshop normally, then acceess the Photo Ninja plugin. You can now adjust the file  with parts of the plugin where Photo Ninja is superior i.e. noise reduction, sharpening in conjunction with noise reduction etc. etc.. When finished Photo Ninja will return the file to Photoshop with its edits applied or you can choose to return it to its original condition.

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,514
Like?
In reply to tom60634, Apr 15, 2013

tom60634 wrote:

rswa wrote:

When developing your raw file in ACR turn off any automatic edits that you believe Photo Ninja performs better. Use ACR to perform the edits that it does best.

Open your file in Photoshop normally, then acceess the Photo Ninja plugin. You can now adjust the file  with parts of the plugin where Photo Ninja is superior i.e. noise reduction, sharpening in conjunction with noise reduction etc. etc.. When finished Photo Ninja will return the file to Photoshop with its edits applied or you can choose to return it to its original condition.

The problem with this workflow, as I understand it, is that you are using the inferior program, ACR, as the raw convertor and, thus, are sacrificing one of the great advantages of Photo Ninja.  A better solution is to create your own custom lens correction filters using the tool in PN's Distortion module.  It is very straightforward and easy to do.  All you have to do is find a suitable building to use as your subject.  I have done this for all of my Pentax lenses as well as my RX1.  The results are excellent.  Why not use PN as it was intended to be used?

Ultimately, Photo Ninja will offer a profile sharing feature, but for now, the distortion correction tool is your best option.

Rob

rswa
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 16, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

tom60634 wrote:

rswa wrote:

The problem with this workflow, as I understand it, is that you are using the inferior program, ACR, as the raw convertor and, thus, are sacrificing one of the great advantages of Photo Ninja.  A better solution is to create your own custom lens correction filters using the tool in PN's Distortion module.  It is very straightforward and easy to do.  All you have to do is find a suitable building to use as your subject.  I have done this for all of my Pentax lenses as well as my RX1.  The results are excellent.  Why not use PN as it was intended to be used?

Ultimately, Photo Ninja will offer a profile sharing feature, but for now, the distortion correction tool is your best option.

Rob

Thank you for your suggestions.

I agree that using ACR and then PN means that you are using PN as a filter plugin rather than as a format plugin, and so you are losing the benefit of PN’s impressive demosaicing algorithm.

Isn’t there a problem with creating lens profiles for zoom lenses? The amount of correction needed can vary non-linearly with focal length, with the wide-angle end requiring the most. This would mean creating a great many different profiles for the same zoom lens -- different profiles for different focal lengths. If the picture you took wasn’t at the focal length of one of your profiles, then you would have to roughly interpolate between two profiles. I was hoping for something simpler and easier, but perhaps that is the best one can do with PN for now.

Robgo2
Like?
In reply to rswa, Apr 16, 2013

rswa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

tom60634 wrote:

rswa wrote:

Rob

I agree that using ACR and then PN means that you are using PN as a filter plugin rather than as a format plugin, and so you are losing the benefit of PN’s impressive demosaicing algorithm.

Isn’t there a problem with creating lens profiles for zoom lenses? The amount of correction needed can vary non-linearly with focal length, with the wide-angle end requiring the most. This would mean creating a great many different profiles for the same zoom lens -- different profiles for different focal lengths. If the picture you took wasn’t at the focal length of one of your profiles, then you would have to roughly interpolate between two profiles. I was hoping for something simpler and easier, but perhaps that is the best one can do with PN for now.

Photo Ninja's tutorials provide specific guidance for creating correction profiles for zoom lenses.  The software knows how to handle it.  It's no different than with ACR or PTLens profiles.  You can find the tutorials under the "?" in the Distortion module.  Just follow the links.

Rob

tom60634
Senior MemberPosts: 1,919Gear list
Like?

Robgo2 wrote:

tom60634 wrote:

rswa wrote:

The problem with this workflow, as I understand it, is that you are using the inferior program, ACR, as the raw convertor and, thus, are sacrificing one of the great advantages of Photo Ninja.

rswa specifically requested information on how to utilize ACR with PN. At no time did I suggest that ACR is a superior or inferior program.  I just gave rswa the information that was requested, with no editorial comment, leaving it up to him to see if the technique that I related met his needs.

A better solution is to create your own custom lens correction filters using the tool in PN's Distortion module.  It is very straightforward and easy to do.  All you have to do is find a suitable building to use as your subject.  I have done this for all of my Pentax lenses as well as my RX1.  The results are excellent.  Why not use PN as it was intended to be used?

Ultimately, Photo Ninja will offer a profile sharing feature, but for now, the distortion correctio tool is your best option.

rswa owns ACR. ACR is at version 7.XX, PN is at version 1.1.xx. Saying that PN is superior in all aspects is naive. In the future it may well develope into the best all round raw developer, it's not there yet.

I believe that rswa has the right attitude, that is to be a tool agnostic - use the best tool (or combination of tools) that is available for your edit.

Rob

tom60634's gear list:tom60634's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
rswa
Like?

Robgo2 wrote:

rswa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

tom60634 wrote:

rswa wrote:

Rob

Photo Ninja's tutorials provide specific guidance for creating correction profiles for zoom lenses.  The software knows how to handle it.  It's no different than with ACR or PTLens profiles.  You can find the tutorials under the "?" in the Distortion module.  Just follow the links.

Rob

The tutorial acknowledges that for each zoom lens, you will need to create "a few dozen training samples." No such effort is needed for ACR or NX2. I guess I am just lazier than you: I was asking for something as easy & automatic.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Simple solution

rswa wrote:

I too had this concern when I started using PhotoNinja. I played around with the idea of using PTLens as an "after-PhotoNinja" tool but was never sure how it might effect the final image. I thought about saving images as TIF and then loading them in LR4 to use its correction functionality. In the end I decided to try to play with the distortion tool built into PhotoNinja. I did the following:

1) Took some images of my garage door (yes, my garage door). It has rectangular patterns on it and those patterns form straight horizontal and vertical lines. Added to that are the horizontal and vertical lines of the door opening itself as well as the horizontal lines formed by the door sections so that it can easily be raised or lowered. There are no large buildings where I live so this seemed like a good substitute.

2) I then used the straight line tools built into PhotoNinja to correct the curvature of those straight lines.

3) Once the lines were placed on the image I used the Auto Align button to straighten the image and the Train button to teach PhotoNinja the corrections for this lens and this focal length and distance.

4) That was all that was necessary. Now the software automatically corrects the distortion for all of those focal lengths and distances. Total time - about 30 minutes. Now I no longer have to worry about using PTLens or any other correction software.

When I am next at some place where there are large rectangular buildings with straight lines I will probably take some additional photos and verify that my settings are OK. But I have compared the correction settings using the "trained" PhotoNinja with those from both LR4 and PTLens for the lenses I have "trained" PhotoNinja and it seems spot-on. All I have to do now is check the Distortion and Geometry section checkbox or set the default to automatically turn distortion correction and and, presto, I have corrected images.

I worried about how much trouble this was going to be, but it turned out to be very, very little. Give it a try.

Robgo2
Like?

rswa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

rswa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

tom60634 wrote:

rswa wrote:

Rob

Rob

The tutorial acknowledges that for each zoom lens, you will need to create "a few dozen training samples." No such effort is needed for ACR or NX2. I guess I am just lazier than you: I was asking for something as easy & automatic.

I understand, but that is how Photo Ninja handles distortion profiles.  It sounds more difficult than it is.  I should think that you could profile a 24-70mm lens in less than 1/2 hour.  Yes, it takes a bit of initial effort, but once it is done, it is done forever.  I consider that a small price to use the best raw convertor on the planet.

Rob

alexsid
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?

I understand, but that is how Photo Ninja handles distortion profiles.  It sounds more difficult than it is.  I should think that you could profile a 24-70mm lens in less than 1/2 hour.  Yes, it takes a bit of initial effort, but once it is done, it is done forever.  I consider that a small price to use the best raw convertor on the planet.

Rob

Hi Rob,

let us not get emotional about software I agree with tom60634 who said:

I believe that rswa has the right attitude, that is to be a tool agnostic - use the best tool (or combination of tools) that is available for your edit

Some people think that PN is the "best raw convertor on the planet", others prefer different software. Personally, I did not purchase PN yet (after two-weeks trial) - not because I cannot afford to spend $129, I just felt that I don't need it at this moment.

It is perfectly OK to like PN, or LZ, or even Windows 8 - but I disagree with spending too much time on discussing their merits and using words like "inferior" or "the best on the planet". Such discussions are not scientific or productive and are just a waste of time.

Alex

alexsid's gear list:alexsid's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +16 more
Robgo2
Like?
In reply to alexsid, Apr 16, 2013

alexsid wrote:

Rob

Hi Rob,

I believe that rswa has the right attitude, that is to be a tool agnostic - use the best tool (or combination of tools) that is available for your edit

Some people think that PN is the "best raw convertor on the planet", others prefer different software. Personally, I did not purchase PN yet (after two-weeks trial) - not because I cannot afford to spend $129, I just felt that I don't need it at this moment.

It is perfectly OK to like PN, or LZ, or even Windows 8 - but I disagree with spending too much time on discussing their merits and using words like "inferior" or "the best on the planet". Such discussions are not scientific or productive and are just a waste of time.

Alex

Alex,

You are correct.  There is a certain degree of subjectivity in my pronouncements regarding Photo Ninja, but there are also objective differences of detail, color, presence, highlight and shadow recovery etc. that I and others have observed in numerous head-to-head comparisons with various raw convertors.  Assuming an agnostic stance requires ignoring such differences and falsely ascribing all judgements to matters of personal taste.  Ultimately, choices are made on the basis of subjective preferences, but that does not negate objective differences.  Rather than being totally agnostic about software, we should avoid overly strong attachments to particular programs and be open to new and better options when they come along.  That is how I discovered Photo Ninja, which I fully expect will be surpassed by some other program eventually.  When it is, I will simply move on with no regrets.

Rob

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,778Gear list
Like?

Robgo2 wrote:

alexsid wrote:

Rob

Hi Rob,

Alex

Alex,

You are correct.  There is a certain degree of subjectivity in my pronouncements regarding Photo Ninja, but there are also objective differences of detail, color, presence, highlight and shadow recovery etc.

come on, Rogbo2... watching you singing praises in turn to various raw converters on various forums makes a lot of fun... color is totally subjective and you mix details w/ acuity from sharpening... I tried PN w/ my GH3 and I find it crude in terms of detail, color and "presence" for portraiture... miles behind RPP and even ACR for that matter (that is once you do not use ACR supplied .dcp profiles).
does it have a better postprocessing for blown raw channels ? probably... but I do not blow 'em, apparently you do a lot :-)... may be take some excercise in metering ? or ND/graduated filters (you are a landscape shooter after all, are you not ?)

that I and others have observed in numerous head-to-head comparisons with various raw convertors.

other fanboys :-)... vocal, I give you that...

Assuming an agnostic stance requires ignoring such differences and falsely ascribing all judgements to matters of personal taste.  Ultimately, choices are made on the basis of subjective preferences, but that does not negate objective differences.  Rather than being totally agnostic about software, we should avoid overly strong attachments to particular programs and be open to new and better options when they come along.  That is how I discovered Photo Ninja, which I fully expect will be surpassed by some other program eventually.  When it is, I will simply move on with no regrets.

Rob

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Robgo2
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Apr 16, 2013

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

alexsid wrote:

Rob

Hi Rob,

Alex

Alex,

You are correct.  There is a certain degree of subjectivity in my pronouncements regarding Photo Ninja, but there are also objective differences of detail, color, presence, highlight and shadow recovery etc.

come on, Rogbo2... watching you singing praises in turn to various raw converters on various forums makes a lot of fun... color is totally subjective and you mix details w/ acuity from sharpening... I tried PN w/ my GH3 and I find it crude in terms of detail, color and "presence" for portraiture... miles behind RPP and even ACR for that matter (that is once you do not use ACR supplied .dcp profiles).
does it have a better postprocessing for blown raw channels ? probably... but I do not blow 'em, apparently you do a lot :-)... may be take some excercise in metering ? or ND/graduated filters (you are a landscape shooter after all, are you not ?)

that I and others have observed in numerous head-to-head comparisons with various raw convertors.

other fanboys :-)... vocal, I give you that...

Assuming an agnostic stance requires ignoring such differences and falsely ascribing all judgements to matters of personal taste.  Ultimately, choices are made on the basis of subjective preferences, but that does not negate objective differences.  Rather than being totally agnostic about software, we should avoid overly strong attachments to particular programs and be open to new and better options when they come along.  That is how I discovered Photo Ninja, which I fully expect will be surpassed by some other program eventually.  When it is, I will simply move on with no regrets.

Rob

exdeejjjaaaa

Your ignorance regarding Photo Ninja would fill the Grand Canyon.  My guess is that you have spent virtually no time learning how to use it properly.  You are a well known gadfly who cruises various Internet forums looking for fights to pick.  I will not participate.

Rob

Robgo2
Like?
In reply to tom60634, Apr 22, 2013

rswa owns ACR. ACR is at version 7.XX, PN is at version 1.1.xx. Saying that PN is superior in all aspects is naive. In the future it may well develope into the best all round raw developer, it's not there yet.

For the record, I also own the latest version of ACR.  It is a very capable program with many useful features.  But strictly in terms of quality of raw conversions, Photo Ninja beats it handily, even if it is v1.1.  Don't believe me?  Try it yourself, but follow your own maxim, and be agnostic.  And spend about one week practicing with PN, before drawing any conclusions.

Rob

chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
Re: Simple solution
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 22, 2013

I also like PN's raw conversions in comparison to Lightroom and DXO 8.

But I do wish they would add a set of lens corrections to the software itself. Having to train your zooms just seems like something you shouldn't have to do for a program. I assume PN has some capital investment behind its development--time to expend some on adding key features like lens corrections.

Robgo2
Like?
Re: Simple solution
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 22, 2013

chironNYC wrote:

I also like PN's raw conversions in comparison to Lightroom and DXO 8.

But I do wish they would add a set of lens corrections to the software itself. Having to train your zooms just seems like something you shouldn't have to do for a program. I assume PN has some capital investment behind its development--time to expend some on adding key features like lens corrections.

I actually wrote to Picture Code (the makers of Photo Ninja) to suggest that they partner with PTLens in offering lens correction filters within PN, but they did not seem interested.  PN is the product of only two programmers, which is rather amazing in itself, and they evidently want to keep all development within their own house.  However, as the program flourishes and grows, they will undoubtedly be adding more workers to the creative staff, and possibly they will devote resources to lens profiles.  In the meantime, PN's do it yourself approach is pretty slick and easy.

Rob

MikeFromMesa
Like?
Yes, but
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 22, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

I actually wrote to Picture Code (the makers of Photo Ninja) to suggest that they partner with PTLens in offering lens correction filters within PN, but they did not seem interested.  PN is the product of only two programmers, which is rather amazing in itself, and they evidently want to keep all development within their own house.  However, as the program flourishes and grows, they will undoubtedly be adding more workers to the creative staff, and possibly they will devote resources to lens profiles.  In the meantime, PN's do it yourself approach is pretty slick and easy.

Yes, but it would be nice if they could facilitate a user-created lens distortion center where we could share the lens distortion files. Then this would be a lot easier.

I asked PictureCode about supporting a forum (where this could be done) but they said they don't have the time. Perhaps someone else, with the time, could do this.

Valant
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: Yes, but
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 22, 2013

Did picture code not say that they were planning to open a swap and share database for this, or was it for another feature? Given the number of lens / camera combo's it is a huge task.

Robgo2
Like?
In reply to Valant, Apr 22, 2013

Valant wrote:

Did picture code not say that they were planning to open a swap and share database for this, or was it for another feature? Given the number of lens / camera combo's it is a huge task.

I believe that they did say that they would support a user to user lens profile sharing system, but I guess it has taken a back seat to other needs.

Rob

MikeFromMesa
Like?
In reply to Robgo2, Apr 23, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

I believe that they did say that they would support a user to user lens profile sharing system, but I guess it has taken a back seat to other needs.

I understand that they have limited resources and that something like this is very low on their priority list but it would be nice if there was some way for users to set this up.

It was relatively easy for me to create a profile for my Samyang 14mm and, I suppose, that is the lens that needed distortion correction the most, but it would be nice to see if someone else's corrections are better than mine. And it would be nice to have distortion correction for more than my single UWA lens since I also have quite a few mid range and telephoto lenses.

Perhaps they could be convinced to set something like a forum up if they did not have to actually support it. Perhaps they could find a couple of users who have the time to do some minimal support for a PhotoNinja forum and also arrange for file swaps for photo distortion. Something like that would make the product more useful for many people as well as provide support for new customers.

Still, I suppose they have their hands full.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads