backup strategies

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,430
Like?
Re: backup strategies
In reply to rstone, Apr 16, 2013

rstone wrote:

I also use FreeFileSynch and absolutely love it. If you run in in "mirror" mode, you can't go wrong.

Do all your editing on C:, then mirror to E: . FFS will copy and/or overwrite the E: drive as needed as well as deleting all the files from the E: if you have deleted them from C:

Did I say it's fast and easy..? You simply set up the folders you want to back up on each side then run it.. Here are some of the folders I have set up for example:

C: My Documents ----> E: My Documents

C: Photos -----> E: Photos

C: MP3 ------> E: MP3

etc..

This sounds good, although my C: drive got overloaded with photos so I have off-loaded them onto a 2TB external usb drive. This program would still be useful to me for backing up the external drive automatically. And, fast and easy is one of the keys for me because otherwise, since I am an amateur and can focus on photography irregularly, it is not likely to get relaiably done. Thank you for the help.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,631Gear list
Like?
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 16, 2013

I back up manually to a network card.  Before I erase a card, I always backup.  I use a network drive plugged into my wireless router, located in the basement.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?

I back up everything on my computer using Time Machine.  I back up my photos on My Passport For Mac.

My Powerbook Pro died last month.  I had to buy a new one.  (It was time anyway.)  It sure was nice to be able to transfer everything (programs, passwords, files, etc.) to the new Mac.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Jason Rickerby
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?
+1 for Synctoy
In reply to hodown55, Apr 16, 2013

gavin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,301Gear list
Like?

I back up on 3 different 1-2Tb USB HD and also onto archival DVDs in both RAW and processed JPEG separately. I keep one set of back up HD at my office just in case. My NAS died and I have not replaced it yet.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax WG-3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
chironNYC
Like?
backup strategies--lots of good solutions
In reply to gavin, Apr 17, 2013

There is a ton of good advice in this thread that provides different solutions for people with different needs and goals.

For myself, I think synctoy will allow me to keep all my photos on a large external 3TB Buffalo drive ($150 at Amazon) attached to my desktop and also used to create a mirror of my desktop's C: drive, and then also have the folders with photos and the Lightroom catalog from the 3 TB Buffalo drive automatically synced to a 2nd 2TB external usb drive.

This 2nd usb drive will serve both as a back of the Buffalo external drive's photos and also as a portable drive that I can take with me to use on my laptop or another computer when that is desirable. This sounds like a safe, automatic, flexible, and convenient solution for my purposes and needs.

Thank you to everyone who contributed expertise to this thread. I am sure many people will find the different advice and solutions helpful for their own particular needs.

Peter

chironNYC
Like?
Re: backup strategies--lots of good solutions
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 17, 2013

chironNYC wrote:

There is a ton of good advice in this thread that provides different solutions for people with different needs and goals.

For myself, I think synctoy will allow me to keep all my photos on a large external 3TB Buffalo drive ($150 at Amazon) attached to my desktop and also used to create a mirror of my desktop's C: drive, and then also have the folders with photos and the Lightroom catalog from the 3 TB Buffalo drive automatically synced to a 2nd 2TB external usb drive.

This 2nd usb drive will serve both as a back of the Buffalo external drive's photos and also as a portable drive that I can take with me to use on my laptop or another computer when that is desirable. This sounds like a safe, automatic, flexible, and convenient solution for my purposes and needs.

Thank you to everyone who contributed expertise to this thread. I am sure many people will find the different advice and solutions helpful for their own particular needs.

Peter

As I think about the solution I embraced for myself in the above post, I think there may need to be one slight variation:

If I were to take the backup of the main external drive with me to edit on my laptop, I think Lightroom would not know that the photos were on the backup drive because they had not been placed there using Lightroom.

So, what I would have to do instead is 1) store my photos via import from Lightroom on the smaller 2TB usb drive; 2) back up these photos from the 2TB drive to the 3 TB Buffalo drive for safety and storage; 3) back up as a mirror my desktops's C: drive to the 3 TB Buffalo drive for safety and storage; 4) take the 2TB usb drive (with the Lightroom catalog and the photos imported by Lightroom) with me when I want to edit on another computer.

The necessity, I think, is to take for editing on another computer the drive where the photos were originally stored by Lightroom. When this drive was then returned to the desktop and plugged in, Synctoy would then backup any new images and any changes to the Lightrooom catalog from the 2TB usb drive to the 3TB Buffalo drive.

The 2TB drive would need to be both the primary, Lightroom-based storage site for photos and also the drive I take with me to edit elsewhere.

Voila!

Peter

kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940
Like?
In reply to hodown55, Apr 18, 2013

hodown55 wrote:

Some really great advice so far. One thing that many people do not think about is future compatibility. Many back-up programs use their own compression algorithms, to save drive space. If the company goes out of business or when new operating systems are introduced, there is no guarantee that your backup software or the back-up files will be readable. That is why I use Microsoft 'Synchtoy' for backing up my image files. This program was written specifically for photographers & is free. It uses no compression, so your back-up files are identical to the originals. Of course, this means that your back-ups will require more drive space than compressed back-ups, but HDs are getting cheaper ...

Details & download are available here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Most archival software will allow you to select no compression, but what you're really talking about here is file based backups (ie, file by file, not into one big tarball).  Synctoy is just Microsoft's incantation of the long lived rsync product which was written in the 90s in unix land.  Nothing to do with photogs.

Since jpegs and raw and even tiff are largely incompressible, you wouldn't want them compressed anyway.  The obvious gain from a file based copy is that you can easily examine the backup side, rather than have to restore the entire set or a portion of it first.

CNYC - your solution seems to have 3 drives all attached to your computer, either internally or via USB.  This will not protect you against theft or fire.  You need to figure out how to keep one set offsite.

johnvr1
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 19, 2013

I have all my images on:

- one external HDD which I can hide when we go on vacation or possibly pick up if we have to leave the house in a hurry.

- another external hard drive, merely used for the files out of the camera.

The pictures I care most about are also on two addl hard drives in original raw format (the others are in DNG).

Finally, the main image drive is backed up to backblaze.com. Initial backup took ages, but now updates are quick.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads