Which NX is best for low light?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
eyedo
Contributing MemberPosts: 624
Like?
Which NX is best for low light?
Apr 14, 2013

I'm a pro photog looking (again!) for a great walk around purse camera  for street photos and stock shot/fine art.

I'm normally a Nikon user,too heavy to lug and too cumbersome on trips.

I had the Fuji x100s..great camera as was the x100 but the x100s one I had was defective and they probably won't be in stock for awhile. However I felt a bit frustrated by the fixed focal length lens.

I have an older Samsung TL-500 which served me well but looking for higher resolution and larger sensor and good in low available light..night..say ISO 1600/3200

that is not too difficult to focus in low light as well. Fast lenses help..

I'd also like to be able to use my Nikon flashes and remotes so hot shoe is important.

Anything from the current Samsung line up fit this criteria?

I've seen some really nice images from the NX 210...Any good? I've not seen that many reviews.

Thx!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,138Gear list
Like?
Re: Which NX is best for low light?
In reply to eyedo, Apr 14, 2013

I'd say nx is not a top performer in the high iso field, but if you shoot raw, you can get some good results up to iso 1600 with nx5/10/100 and up to iso3200 with nx200/210/20/1000.

Now nx300 seems better and the first samples look usable up to iso6400 and even 12800, which is a lot.

I'd advise you to get the nx300, if you look for high iso, but it's very new and users have reported some bugs (please read other threads in this same forum).

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eyedo
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Apr 14, 2013

Seems like all cameras have bugs..maybe they now think of them as a feature!

I've gone thru a slew of cameras these past couple of years.Seems like many companies are also taking off good features or just adding to many MP to small sensors...

Thanks for the input.I may get the 210 since it's out now.

Do you know offhand of other important differences?
Does the 210 focus well in low light?

Thanks

crsantin
Contributing MemberPosts: 544
Like?

Is a viewfinder important to you?

tecnoworld
Like?

Well, also the nx300 is out and buyable now, of course it's more expensive. It has pdaf in attition to contrast detect af, so theoretically it's faster focusing than nx210, besides having better iq at high iso.

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
eyedo
Like?
In reply to crsantin, Apr 14, 2013

I'd prefer it but it's not a dealbreaker.

eyedo
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Apr 14, 2013

Is it in the US yet? I didn't see it on Amazon.

Also,how close focusing is the 18-55(or whatever) kit lens.

Thanks in advance!

tecnoworld
Like?

I guess some retailers have it already. Closest focus for 18-55 is 0.28m according to lenstip

18-55 specs from lenstip

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?

i beleive the latest nx300 and subsequent nx cameras will excell at high iso and lowlight. however, whilst the lenses are all in place, the only new sensor'd camera is on an early firmware so it is impossible to say definitively.

that said i beleive nx will be the best system by the time the nx30 is released, in due course.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,765Gear list
Like?

eyedo wrote:

It focuses about like any other contrast detect camera in low light, bad if the light is low contrast, but fine if you have some contrast (you don't need a lot of light, just contrast).  So a catch light on an eye is usually enough to focus, but if the face is in shade, even in decent light, focus can miss.  So it takes a bit of practice.  Typically, like with an SLR, if it fails focus I find a better point (say a high contrast collar, etc).

Most contrast detect cameras are vertical line sensitive.  They focus using the video feed from the sensor which is scanned out line by line (from top to bottom) so it can only see the edge if it crosses that horizontal line of pixels.

So I would say focus is pretty average in low light.  I think my 30mm f/2 focuses faster than my Fuji X 35mm f/1.4 by a long shot.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?

Good low light performer = good sensor + large aperture lense.

If you shoot medium-tele or tele photos, go NX300 + 45f1.8 + 85f1.4.

If you need normal, wide, go Fuji X-pro1, X-E1 or OM-D. OM-D focus much faster than Fuji but Fuji perform a litte bit better in term of iso performance. OM-D also has a lot more lenses choice.

Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
the nx210 is not a good idea
In reply to eyedo, Apr 16, 2013

eyedo wrote:

Seems like all cameras have bugs..maybe they now think of them as a feature!

I've gone thru a slew of cameras these past couple of years.Seems like many companies are also taking off good features or just adding to many MP to small sensors...

Thanks for the input.I may get the 210 since it's out now.

Do you know offhand of other important differences?

Thanks

Last year the nx210, nx20 and nx1000 were released.

The nx20 scrored good in dxomark and

a german test website had looked at those three cameras, and found out, the nx1000 sensor is as good as the nx20 sensor

but that german test website found out the nx210 output is relatively bad for some strange reason, despite being released at the same time.

I assume the nx300 is also quite good, and has better jpg processing

so if you like low light photography, please avoid the nx210 in the group of this and last year's samsung camera models

-- hide signature --

cheers
Mr.NoFlash
The OMD sensor was the big step in m4/3 (announced 2/2012, available 6/2012) but Oly did not manage to give us 4/3 users the same sensor, and now we have 2013 ...

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
mauni
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: the nx210 is not a good idea
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, Apr 16, 2013

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

Last year the nx210, nx20 and nx1000 were released.

The nx20 scrored good in dxomark and

a german test website had looked at those three cameras, and found out, the nx1000 sensor is as good as the nx20 sensor

but that german test website found out the nx210 output is relatively bad for some strange reason, despite being released at the same time.

I assume the nx300 is also quite good, and has better jpg processing

so if you like low light photography, please avoid the nx210 in the group of this and last year's samsung camera models

-- hide signature --

cheers
Mr.NoFlash
The OMD sensor was the big step in m4/3 (announced 2/2012, available 6/2012) but Oly did not manage to give us 4/3 users the same sensor, and now we have 2013 ...

Which webite was it ?

Chris62
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Apr 16, 2013

tecnoworld wrote:

I'd say nx is not a top performer in the high iso field, but if you shoot raw, you can get some good results up to iso 1600 with nx5/10/100 and up to iso3200 with nx200/210/20/1000.

Now nx300 seems better and the first samples look usable up to iso6400 and even 12800, which is a lot.

I'd advise you to get the nx300, if you look for high iso, but it's very new and users have reported some bugs (please read other threads in this same forum).

At this moment the differences are very hard to noitice when look side by side.

http://www.optyczne.pl/188.7-Test_aparatu-Samsung_NX20_Szumy_i_jakość_obrazu_w_RAW.html

and here you can change camera models to compare different ISOs

http://www.optyczne.pl/214.7-Test_aparatu-Sony_NEX-5R_Szumy_i_jakość_obrazu_w_RAW.html

Chris62's gear list:Chris62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to Chris62, Apr 16, 2013

Did they test nx300, yet? I don't see it in the links you mentioned...

Chris62
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?

tecnoworld wrote:

Did they test nx300, yet? I don't see it in the links you mentioned...

NX300 not yet.

But as we can see the old one NX20 does very well noise is similar and resolutions even better.

(crops are from unorrected RAW developed in DCRAW software - Lightroom sometimes does some preprocessing different for different cameras so it is a kind of black box)

We can compare it to Fuji canon NEX,  so why people always say that other sensors are better?

Chris62's gear list:Chris62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS
Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
In reply to mauni, Apr 16, 2013

nx210: digitalkamera.de 1

"Was den Rest der Bildqualität und insbesondere das Rauschen  angeht, kann man aber nur mit dem Kopf schütteln ( you can only shake your head if you look at the noise  of the nx210 ) . Die Messkurven ähneln denen der NX200 sehr stark, nur minimal weichen die Werte mal hier, mal dort voneinander ab. Von der guten Qualität, die die NX1000 und NX20 an den Tag legen, ist bei der NX210 keine Spur zu finden.

nx20: digitalkamera . de 2

... Was wirklich im Sensor der NX20 steckt, zeigen Raw-Aufnahmen, die wir parallel zu den in der Kamera verarbeiteten JPEGs aufgenommen und dann in Adobe Camera Raw 7.2 entwickelt haben: Bis zur rechten hohen Empfindlichkeitsstufe ISO 6.400 spielt das lästige Farbrauschen visuell kaum eine Rolle und lässt sich sehr leicht eliminieren.

nx1000
: http://www.digitalkamera.de/Testbericht/Samsung_NX1000/8048.aspx

( better than nx210 but not as good as nx20, so i have to slightly correct my statement )

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
mauni
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
In reply to Mr.NoFlash, Apr 16, 2013

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

nx210: digitalkamera.de 1

Die Messkurven ähneln denen der NX200 sehr stark, nur minimal weichen die Werte mal hier, mal dort voneinander ab.

Thanks, very interesting

the german Colorfoto writes just the opposite:

"Die Samsung NX210 ist ihr Geld wert. Samsung ergänzt beim neu aufgelegten 200er-Modell keineswegs nur das WLAN-Modul, sondern holt dank schonender Signalverarbeitung auch eine bessere Bildqualität aus dem 20-Megapixel-Sensor heraus."

"Obwohl die Eckdaten unverändert sind, erreicht die NX210 eine bessere Bildqualität als die NX200. Vor allem hebt ihre Signalverarbeitung die Grenzauflösung weniger übertrieben an. Dabei gelingt ihr ein ausgewogeneres Verhältnis zwischen höheren Dead-Leaves-Werten, geringeren Texturverlusten und schwächerem Rauschen (DL 1297 LP/BH, 0,6 Kurtosis, 0,5 VN bei ISO 100)."

http://www.colorfoto.de/testbericht/samsung-nx210-leichte-magnesium-kamera-mit-wifi-modul-1418952.html

I don't know, which one we should more believe.

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to mauni, Apr 16, 2013

I guess they are so close that it could vary and depend on a "per sample" basis. I'm curious to see how the nx300 compares, since the early samples at high iso seemed quite better than nx1000.

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361Gear list
Like?

I am as well seeing an advantage when I compare my NX20 specifically with the NX200 whereas I do believe that the NX200 suffers from the shutter inducted blur that as well DPR mentioned in their forum reply on the sample test shots.

The mechanical shutter of NX1000 is much "softer sounding" compared to the harder NX200 so I can well imagine them to be different

As well that blur as per DPR only happened at specific shutter speeds so you can theoretically explain why some NX200 measurements seemed to be ok, some other did not

EDIT: the advantage the NX300 does clearly have is that it does not de-saturate colors that bad above ISO3200

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads