Did I make a mistake? (Pentax K-5iis vs Nikon D7100)

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
Re: Did I make a mistake? (Pentax K-5iis vs Nikon D7100)
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 14, 2013

Aidan Gibson wrote:

did I make a mistake in buying the Pentax K-5iis instead of the Nikon D7100?

Yes.   Please place the it on e-Bay ASAP.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenyee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,509Gear list
Like?
For portraits, learn lighting

Aidan Gibson wrote:

What I really wanted was a Camera with decent autofocus and good low light capabilities which the K-5iis has. I have done some sports of the local soccer team but I normally do portraits. I just wanted to know what i loose in the K-5iis except for the crop-ability. Is there anything else that I loose?

You don't have the lenses for sports...sounds like you never have.  To do sports properly, you'd need at least a 70-200/2.8 and preferably a 300/2.8 w/ TC.

If you shoot portraits, learning lighting is more important than the camera body.  I still use a K20D (ancient compared to your K-5IIs) and it still produces great results because I have full control over lighting.

As for your other question on the D7100, if you really are that bothered, scrape together $150 and do a weekend rental from LensProToGo or BorrowLenses or some other local store to you and try it with whatever lens you think you'd use.  See how you like it.  Then you'll know for sure instead of asking like this.

You had your K-5IIs for a while if the D7100 was announced after you bought it.  You have to factor in the time you had w/ the K-5IIs out taking pictures instead of waiting for the next big thing.  It's like a computer...everything changes every few years and everyone leapfrogs everyone else.  Personally, I'd be ticked off if I bought the D600...the D7100 has a much nicer AF system and doesn't have the dust bomb issue though the D7100 seems to have some sort of sensor blooming issue that's covered in the Nikon forum, so Nikon's crappy QC system is still letting bugs through

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,201Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you ask your wife / girlfriend / fiancee first?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

It was my dad that said I should get the K-5iis. I mean I really love the k-5iis but do I loose anything  in having not bought the D7100 or do I gain anything.

What is better in the Pentax except the awesome primes and the great weather sealing.

What else do you need.....a toaster? Use it and enjoy.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, Apr 15, 2013

You loose class leading AF! The Nikon will out perform the K-5 IIs in almost every way.

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-3 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +1 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,737Gear list
Like?
In reply to garyknrd, Apr 15, 2013

garyknrd wrote:

You loose class leading AF! The Nikon will out perform the K-5 IIs in almost every way.

Based on what ?? (words are cheap facts less easy to disprove )

d7100 = ev -2 - 19

k5ii = ev -3 - 18 <- CLASS LEADING !!!!!

Unless Nikon have changed their AF engine (which they haven't CAM 3500DX) then even the K5 will AF faster than the Nikon for linear targets.

The only place mid level Nikons outperform Pentax is for non linear target where the better algorithms and expanding AF point gave an advantage, The k5ii now has expanding AF point so the d7xxx only have their superior algorithms to maintain any advantage.

hardly 'almost every way' now is it ?

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,197Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 15, 2013

This garyknrd bloke dropped a K-5 on his head from a great height (or something like that), and he's never forgiven Pentax for it ...

Anyway, whatever, he appears to be FOS, as can be seen by these two (apparently contradictory) posts:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/41927942

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42413678

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
LensBeginner
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 15, 2013

PLEASE,

don't tell me that you've read and believed the Rock Kinkwell BS...

...just pretty pretty please with cheese and bokeh on top

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,415
Like?
First question: (Pentax K-5iis vs Nikon D7100)

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there,

First question, have you had to send the Pentax in for repairs yet?

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,415
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Apr 15, 2013

brandrx wrote:

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there,

any ideas?

Thanks.

Do you walk to work or carry your lunch?

Is it further to San Francisco or by bus?

You forgot an important question: Is it hotter in the summer than in the country?

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,367Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard B., Apr 15, 2013

They still haven't added a darned AF button to the D7100.  My biggest gripe about my D7000 is the lack of @#$!@ AF button.  You have to reprogram the AEL/AFL button for that function, but it is a bit hard to reach.

Also, the D7000 only has 9 cross sensor points (same as Pentax) but they are all scrunched into the center of the frame. The D7100 has 15, but they are still smashed in the center of the frame.  They really need to put cross points out towards the rule of third intersections.

This burned me at an event the other day, I tried to focus and my D7000 was not focusing at all, turns out I had bumped the AF point over 1 to one of the only horizontal line sensitive points and the vertical line I was trying to focus on (part of suit) was not a good target.  Since I was in AF-C mode it was happy to take the picture for me anyway, even though it was slightly out of focus (not visible in viewfinder).

If you don't have problems with how your K-5IIs is working I wouldn't go looking for issues.  The grass isn't always greener.  You will figure out if there is some limitation in your gear and if you need to overcome it you will figure out how to do so when the need arises.  The main advantage to the D7100 is probably the 51 pt AF, if you know its limitations (like most of them are those cursed horizontal sensitive only points) and flash system along with overall availability of support and gear, but the Pentax is going to be a great rugged little camera.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,811Gear list
Like?
Well, did you go out and test them BOTH?
In reply to Midwest, Apr 15, 2013

Aidan, did you do that?  I hope so.

Let me just tell you something, without any BS.  I went to my local Samy's Camera store this past weekend and i shot with the D7100 and D7000 and D3200 also.  Frankly i am NOT seeing any difference, simple as that.  Nikon has definitely put a PRO AF system in the new body and i think this is the main strength of this body, don't get me wrong, the IQ is very good, but is just as good as a D7000.

In fact, i think i do notice some blurryness from the 24MP sensor, and that might just be indicating to me that any 24MP camera is DEMANDING more technique from you and you will HAVE to freeze of hold the camera super steady in order for you to get nice sharp photos, either that or getting top notch lenses that match the capability of these cameras.  That to me is kind of ironic, and i am starting to think that a 16MP camera is THE BEST MP size for shooting lots of keepers.  Hey, i am even thinking of getting a 12MP camera at this point.

I haven't actually had the opportunity to shoot with the K5IIs, but for some reason i would not be surprised if that Pentax is sharper than the D7100, and i might just find out in the end that your K5IIs colors are even nicer.  Next weekend i will go out and do some more homework

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 843Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 15, 2013

If you're getting good pictures - and with the lenses you have along with the k5iis, you should be - there isn't much reason to consider the hassle of switching and having to relearn another brand.

The Pentax will give you in body stabilization which I'm sure you know is useful.  The smaller form factor will let you carry more in your pack.  And the smaller lenses, particularly the limiteds, will let you carry your pack further.  Ergonomics are top notch and your buffer won't fill as fast as the D7100 if you shoot raw.

Flash won't be as good on the Pentax if you're into that, so there are some downsides.

All around though, you've got an awesome kit - I know may people would feel very fortunate to have the quality of tools you have.  I know I feel very lucky that I have the k5iis and some great glass!

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
bettyswolloks
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Hiran, Apr 15, 2013

bettyswolloks's gear list:bettyswolloks's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +11 more
HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 667
Like?
Re: Aidan
In reply to Yanko Kitanov, Apr 15, 2013

Yes ofcourse. Pentax is doomed and nikon will rule the world. Side to side with canon.
So quick sell me your k5IIs for 100$.
--
http://500px.com/Barbarosa/photos

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 15, 2013

viking79 wrote:

They still haven't added a darned AF button to the D7100.

Ouch. Big oversight.

You will figure out if there is some limitation in your gear and if you need to overcome it you will figure out how to do so when the need arises.

+1

-- hide signature --
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Re: For portraits, learn lighting
In reply to kenyee, Apr 15, 2013

kenyee wrote

You don't have the lenses for sports...sounds like you never have.  To do sports properly, you'd need at least a 70-200/2.8 and preferably a 300/2.8 w/ TC.

If you shoot portraits, learning lighting is more important than the camera body.  I still use a K20D (ancient compared to your K-5IIs) and it still produces great results because I have full control over lighting.

As for your other question on the D7100, if you really are that bothered, scrape together $150 and do a weekend rental from LensProToGo or BorrowLenses or some other local store to you and try it with whatever lens you think you'd use.  See how you like it.  Then you'll know for sure instead of asking like this.

You had your K-5IIs for a while if the D7100 was announced after you bought it.  You have to factor in the time you had w/ the K-5IIs out taking pictures instead of waiting for the next big thing.  It's like a computer...everything changes every few years and everyone leapfrogs everyone else.  Personally, I'd be ticked off if I bought the D600...the D7100 has a much nicer AF system and doesn't have the dust bomb issue though the D7100 seems to have some sort of sensor blooming issue that's covered in the Nikon forum, so Nikon's crappy QC system is still letting bugs through

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Since I have seen the studio comparison, I am happy to have bought the K-5 the high iso is as good as some ff. Tried the d7100 in a shop didn't like the feel probably because if have always had Pentax!

thanks!

PS: lighting may be important but the results I get with the K-5 are just so stunning compared to my k-x. Not regretting anything anymore the results are great and now I know that the k-5iis iq is equal if not better, after looking at the comparison tool!

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
In reply to Mike Hiran, Apr 15, 2013

Flash won't be as good on the Pentax if you're into that, so there are some downsides.

I don't really use flash should be fun but i haven't got an external one and I am not going to buy on in the near future.

All around though, you've got an awesome kit - I know may people would feel very fortunate to have the quality of tools you have.  I know I feel very lucky that I have the k5iis and some great glass!

I also feel extremely fortunate. I have some nice lenses that can take lovely photographs. I was considering the d7100 because when one spends over 1000 euro on a camera it should be perfect for you which I noticed the k-5iis is!

Thanks

Aidan

Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
Re: Well, did you go out and test them BOTH?
In reply to mistermejia, Apr 15, 2013

wasn't out when I got the K-5 I did consider the d7000 but I did not like the feel.

was announced 3 days later.

Aidan, did you do that?  I hope so.

rusticus
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?

no, but you would have to buy the "normal" K5 and not make a mistake;)

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,746
Like?
Yes you did....
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 16, 2013

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there,

any ideas?

Thanks.

Your mistake is posting your fears and doubts about your purchase to others on the Pentax forum, of course they are going to tell you you made the right decision, when you already knew the Nikon was a better camera. Or why else did you post other than to be reassured your choice was right?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads