My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!
Apr 14, 2013

I picked up a confirmed new D7100 from Best Buy in Taylor Michigan a few days ago. I'm coming from a D7000 so quite use to the menu and setting it up. Today I ran (6) lenses through calibration and all did quite well. My 17-55 and 80-400(old style) needed no fine adjustments at all! My other 4 lenses needed minor adjustments of +/-5 or less. While I was set up on the tripod and shooting the calibration scale I thought I would check for left, right and center focus. I'm happy to report all three are spot on. Now that I have all this out of the way I'm going to start enjoying my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
billinvegas
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Re: My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!
In reply to Tom B., Apr 14, 2013

Q:

does the 7100 have a both the wide / telephoto MFA adjustments?

Or only the single?

 billinvegas's gear list:billinvegas's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon D700 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Re: My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!
In reply to billinvegas, Apr 14, 2013

billinvegas wrote:

Q:

does the 7100 have a both the wide / telephoto MFA adjustments?

Or only the single?

Good point, and I'm not sure but I think its only single. Funny you bring this up. I just now went out on my deck and shot the first few pictures with my D7100 and 12-24 Nikon. I shot at 12, brought it in and the whole picture looked a little out of focus/not sharp, I'm not used to seeing this with this lens. I went and took another to make sure I didn't move and still bad. I had only calibrated at 24mm, but now questioning myself if I calibrated correctly. I turned calibration off, retook the photo and its crazy sharp. Now I'm very curious, need to go back and do it again just to see where I went wrong.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,757
Like?
Sounds good!
In reply to Tom B., Apr 14, 2013

Tom B. wrote:

I picked up a confirmed new D7100 from Best Buy in Taylor Michigan a few days ago. I'm coming from a D7000 so quite use to the menu and setting it up. Today I ran (6) lenses through calibration and all did quite well. My 17-55 and 80-400(old style) needed no fine adjustments at all! My other 4 lenses needed minor adjustments of +/-5 or less. While I was set up on the tripod and shooting the calibration scale I thought I would check for left, right and center focus. I'm happy to report all three are spot on. Now that I have all this out of the way I'm going to start enjoying my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Mind you, according to some buffoons here you have to " ... stay away from this forum and get out there & shoot shoot shoot" [sic]. Don't bother testing or setting up.

Enjoy the new camera.

David

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,637
Like?
Re: Sounds good!
In reply to David Lal, Apr 14, 2013

David Lal wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

I picked up a confirmed new D7100 from Best Buy in Taylor Michigan a few days ago. I'm coming from a D7000 so quite use to the menu and setting it up. Today I ran (6) lenses through calibration and all did quite well. My 17-55 and 80-400(old style) needed no fine adjustments at all! My other 4 lenses needed minor adjustments of +/-5 or less. While I was set up on the tripod and shooting the calibration scale I thought I would check for left, right and center focus. I'm happy to report all three are spot on. Now that I have all this out of the way I'm going to start enjoying my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Mind you, according to some buffoons here you have to " ... stay away from this forum and get out there & shoot shoot shoot" [sic]. Don't bother testing or setting up.

Enjoy the new camera.

David

LOL that's probably true too!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Re: My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!
In reply to Tom B., Apr 14, 2013

Tom B. wrote:

billinvegas wrote:

Q:

does the 7100 have a both the wide / telephoto MFA adjustments?

Or only the single?

Good point, and I'm not sure but I think its only single. Funny you bring this up. I just now went out on my deck and shot the first few pictures with my D7100 and 12-24 Nikon. I shot at 12, brought it in and the whole picture looked a little out of focus/not sharp, I'm not used to seeing this with this lens. I went and took another to make sure I didn't move and still bad. I had only calibrated at 24mm, but now questioning myself if I calibrated correctly. I turned calibration off, retook the photo and its crazy sharp. Now I'm very curious, need to go back and do it again just to see where I went wrong.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Well, good news is, the 12-24 lens and D7100 need no fine tuning, perfect at "0". I must have done something wrong the first time.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Re: Sounds good!
In reply to David Lal, Apr 14, 2013

David Lal wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

I picked up a confirmed new D7100 from Best Buy in Taylor Michigan a few days ago. I'm coming from a D7000 so quite use to the menu and setting it up. Today I ran (6) lenses through calibration and all did quite well. My 17-55 and 80-400(old style) needed no fine adjustments at all! My other 4 lenses needed minor adjustments of +/-5 or less. While I was set up on the tripod and shooting the calibration scale I thought I would check for left, right and center focus. I'm happy to report all three are spot on. Now that I have all this out of the way I'm going to start enjoying my new camera.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Mind you, according to some buffoons here you have to " ... stay away from this forum and get out there & shoot shoot shoot" [sic]. Don't bother testing or setting up.

Enjoy the new camera.

David

Thank you! There's something to be said about staying away from the forums for awhile.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom B.
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Re: My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!
In reply to Tom B., Apr 14, 2013

Tom B. wrote:

Tom B. wrote:

billinvegas wrote:

Q:

does the 7100 have a both the wide / telephoto MFA adjustments?

Or only the single?

Good point, and I'm not sure but I think its only single. Funny you bring this up. I just now went out on my deck and shot the first few pictures with my D7100 and 12-24 Nikon. I shot at 12, brought it in and the whole picture looked a little out of focus/not sharp, I'm not used to seeing this with this lens. I went and took another to make sure I didn't move and still bad. I had only calibrated at 24mm, but now questioning myself if I calibrated correctly. I turned calibration off, retook the photo and its crazy sharp. Now I'm very curious, need to go back and do it again just to see where I went wrong.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Well, good news is, the 12-24 lens and D7100 need no fine tuning, perfect at "0". I must have done something wrong the first time.

-- hide signature --

Tom

I found out what I did the first time. The recommended distance from lens to chart for SpyderLensCal is 10x the 24mm. I was setting the distance from the focal plane, which was a touch too close, so it wasn't able to get focus at the zero line but didn't know it. I moved the camera back so I was 10 x 24mm from the front of lens and found the lens and camera are perfect at "0" calibration.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Tom B.'s gear list:Tom B.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,390
Like?
Re: My New D7100 Calibrated, focus checked and ready to go!
In reply to Tom B., Apr 14, 2013

Interesting! Glad to hear most everything is ”in tune”.

The local Best Buy hasn’t received a single D7100 as of today. Still trying to push the D7000 stock. Maybe they should consider dropping the price on the D7000 another $200.00 if they intend to sell them. Presently the difference of $300.00 under the D7001 isn’t going to have much effect.

Just noticed you are having a question regarding 12-24 focus. Hope you have it worked out.

Pap

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads