Re: Kodak Pixpro

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Saleen1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 819Gear list
Like?
Apr 14, 2013

I was searching the internet to see when the new line of Kodaks are coming out and ran accross this site http://www.hsn.com/products/kodak-pixpro-16mp-36x-zoom-3-lcd-slr-style-camera/7125617 and wanted to know if anyone here has purchased one yet and how do you like it. I love my Z990 and Z980 and still use them frequently.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Kodak EasyShare Z980 Kodak EasyShare Z990 (EasyShare Max)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Saleen1999
Like?
In reply to Saleen1999, Apr 14, 2013

By the way, I saw they are coming out with a 52x zoom PixPro Kodak. That is incredible. Can't wait to see that one.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Saleen1999 wrote:

By the way, I saw they are coming out with a 52x zoom PixPro Kodak. That is incredible. Can't wait to see that one.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

A 52x zoom? Wow! Do you mind telling me where you found this? I'm very intrigued by the 36x zoom and can't wait for some serious reviews. My Kodaks are a little long in the tooth and I'd love something a little more modern.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

JamesD2's gear list:JamesD2's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C663 Kodak DX7590 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 +2 more
Blackbear
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 14, 2013

JamesD2 wrote:

Saleen1999 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

A 52x zoom? Wow! Do you mind telling me where you found this? I'm very intrigued by the 36x zoom and can't wait for some serious reviews. My Kodaks are a little long in the tooth and I'd love something a little more modern.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

http://kodakcamera.jkiltd.com/company/about.php#

Hover over "PIXPRO CAMERAS" and the announcement of the AZ521 coming soon is being displayed.

-- hide signature --

Mart
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away.
Kodak DX7590, Z980, P880, C875, P850, M583, P712, V570
( Lumix TZ5, my wife)

Blackbear's gear list:Blackbear's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak DC290 Kodak DC3400 Kodak DC4800 Kodak EasyShare C875 +8 more
Saleen1999
Like?
James

Here is the website and if you click on the top where it says PixPro cameras you will see the different models they are coming out with.

http://kodakcamera.jkiltd.com/#

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: James

Thanks. I can only imaging what the aperture will be at the telephoto end. Will it even be useful? And you'll need incredible stabilization for a 52x zoom or your video and even still images will show great camera shake. I wonder what the sensor will be?

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Kodak EasyShare C663 Kodak DX7590 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 +2 more
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,242
Like?

JamesD2 wrote:

Thanks. I can only imaging what the aperture will be at the telephoto end. Will it even be useful? And you'll need incredible stabilization for a 52x zoom or your video and even still images will show great camera shake. I wonder what the sensor will be?

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Good questions James. I see the 42xx zoom cam is using a CCD sensor. One can only hope they did not apply heavy NR software in it and end up with water color type images. Wonder why they did not use the proven CMOS sensor of the Z990?? Also I see they dropped the Schneider/Kreuznach lens and went with some generic house brand. Schneider was contracted by Kodak ((separate company) and are known to be optically excellent. I really hope this new company has their engineering act together with regards to being competitive with all the other good big zoom mfg's. That said, the sensor and no name lens doesn't look promising.

chiue
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,313Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, Apr 14, 2013

Sactojim wrote:

JamesD2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Good questions James. I see the 42xx zoom cam is using a CCD sensor. One can only hope they did not apply heavy NR software in it and end up with water color type images. Wonder why they did not use the proven CMOS sensor of the Z990?? Also I see they dropped the Schneider/Kreuznach lens and went with some generic house brand. Schneider was contracted by Kodak ((separate company) and are known to be optically excellent. I really hope this new company has their engineering act together with regards to being competitive with all the other good big zoom mfg's. That said, the sensor and no name lens doesn't look promising.

I speculate it is the COST factor. Remember this is actually a JK's product that manufacture in China with a Kodak name. It cost get the Schneider licensed optic. Also the BSI CMOS (whatever the source is) would cost more. Hopefully the JK products can stand on it own and help bring back the "Kodak" name.

-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 Zx3
Kodak Digital Cameras Galleries
http://www.wix.com/chiuestar/Kodak-DC
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/chiue/camera/cameras-a2.jpg

chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak DX6440 Kodak DX7590 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare V803 +4 more
Saleen1999
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 15, 2013

I think that what this new company needs to do is even if it costs a little more, they need to add quality to their cameras because I am pretty sure that us Kodak lovers (I know I would) pay be willing to pay a little more for the new Kodaks if they use quality sensors and great lenses while not comprising the 'Kodak' colors that we all love.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Saleen1999, Apr 15, 2013

This has been a problem for a very, very long time. Kodak is not known for quality cameras. It is first and foremost famous for film, its signature color rendition and affordable cameras for the masses. For Kodak JK to counter that trend it would take a real gamble on their part. I don't believe many would be willing to spend much for higher quality cameras because once a certain price range is hit, customers would reason that it would be more prudent to purchase a Nikon or Canon. It just "is" what it "is".

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Saleen1999
Like?
HSN is now sold out of the new Kodak
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 15, 2013

I wonder if many of our members took up the offer on HSN after I posted this thread and bought one and that is the cause for the sell out. It sure was a great deal because of all of the extras they were giving away with the camera. I should have bought one but I really want to wait for the longer zoom to see what that brings.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
In reply to Saleen1999, Apr 20, 2013

I spent a few minutes with one the other day. My cousin purchased a white one from HSN. It seemed pretty responsive and the video recording looked good. I only viewed the pictures on the LCD but they looked pretty good. It had a descent panorama mode on it. I guess for the money it is pretty good. I still miss my old 6490.

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +10 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to djrocks66, Apr 20, 2013

On rare occasions Istill get out my 7590 and shoot. But the slow buffering is off-putting after using much faster cameras.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

djrocks66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 20, 2013

JamesD2 wrote:

On rare occasions Istill get out my 7590 and shoot. But the slow buffering is off-putting after using much faster cameras.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

I hear ya... Thats why I gave my 6490 to my Mom. She didn't mind slow but boy did she take some beautiful colorful pictures with that camera till it finally broke down. I have a friend that still has one and it looks like it is brand new. If only we could speed it up. 4MP sensor did a great job!

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +10 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to djrocks66, Apr 20, 2013

I played around with different cards and was able to speed it up a bit that way. And had I not tried a different camera (first a Pentax and then a Sony) I would still be shooting with my 7590 and loving the images because you're right: nothing gives perfect color like a Kodak. I'll never be able to forgive the upper management of Kodak for not continuing development of the P-Series and the DX-Series cameras.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

oldshutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,574
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 20, 2013

Don't know much about these new Pixpro  cameras but its great to see the Kodak name on the front of a new model camera, I hope they sell heaps of them.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Dave
Downunder.
Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss ~

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to oldshutterbug, Apr 21, 2013

Are they available down under, Dave? Will you buy one? BTW... what are you currently using? Would love to see a few shots from your lens.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

btn1100
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 21, 2013

I do have one in my hands.  I actually think it's a re-branded GE camera.  I will say the menu is better than the Z990, the build is MUCH better, much more sturdy than the Z990 but I would say my Z915 and Z990 image quality is better.   If you work at it, you can get some decent images out it but they images become very noise very fast.  You need to work at low iso for sure.  Not surprising from a 16MP CCD sensor.
Here are some test shots I took.

btn1100's gear list:btn1100's gear list
Fujifilm XF1
oldshutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,574
Like?
In reply to JamesD2, Apr 21, 2013

JamesD2 wrote:

Are they available down under, Dave? Will you buy one? BTW... what are you currently using? Would love to see a few shots from your lens.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

Mmmm this got me thinking James, not one decent retailer selling Kodak cameras, what a turn around from the early to mid 2000s when the local chemist had a large selection.

I am using Kodak Z650 x 1

Z710 x 1

DX6440 x 1

C875 x 3

C1013 x 2

DX6340 x 1

Zx1    x 1

Strange for a fella that used 1,000s of  $$$ worth of 35mm and Medium Format gear to make money back in 2003, since 2005 all my spare cash has been spent on Model Railroading and the cost of that leaves nothing for cameras.

Sold a Fuji S9100 and S5600fd to buy Railroad stuff so I quite happy just plugging along with my old Kodaks.

I turn 70 this year so my Railroad hobby keeps me young and my mind active far more than photography.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Dave
Downunder.
Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss ~

Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?
In reply to btn1100, Apr 21, 2013

It is definitely a re-branded GE camera.  HSN has both GE and the pixpro on their website.  They look very similar.  I returned mine.  I liked it at first but the noise levels inside are just way too high, even at lower ISO values.

btn1100 wrote:

I do have one in my hands.  I actually think it's a re-branded GE camera.  I will say the menu is better than the Z990, the build is MUCH better, much more sturdy than the Z990 but I would say my Z915 and Z990 image quality is better.   If you work at it, you can get some decent images out it but they images become very noise very fast.  You need to work at low iso for sure.  Not surprising from a 16MP CCD sensor.
Here are some test shots I took.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads