Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,567Gear list
Like?
Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
Apr 13, 2013

I've had the GH3 for a couple of months now, and, due to this interminable winter, I have not had a chance to get out and really give it a useful workout.  So far, there have been things about the IQ that I have found remarkable, but I'm still tweaking the settings to get the jpgs exactly right (I use RAW + JPG, so I do like the JPGS to be very good OOC.)  I can't wait for there to be some colors outside other than brown, white, and grey to work with.... This process took me several weeks with the GH2, and I expect it to take much less time with the GH3 since the color rendition is much better overall OOC than the GH2s was.

That being said, I decided last week to get a G5 as my second/small body. Since I really still liked my GH2, but had sold it while the market was good, I thought the G5 two lens kit on special made some sense to get.

Well, after evaluating the G5, I realized that, while it is a very, very nice camera in many ways, it was not going to work for me.  I've already been spoiled by the capabilities of the GH3 sensor...High ISO and lower light color retention is remarkably better on the GH3, and the DR difference in dark areas of the photos is not insignificant.  This is not to say the G5 is a bad camera; it's actually quite competent and has excellent native color rendition to boot.  However, the GH3 sensor is just that much better that I found, after using the GH3 for a while, I was expecting more from the G5 than it could give.

Other pluses and minuses of the G5:  EVF is good; seems to be very much like the one in the G3.  The one in the GH2 was a bit better (less rainbow effect).  Rear LCD was quite nice, although after using the capacitive one in the GH3, the resistive one in the G5 felt a little old-school.  However, it was nicely responsive, and bright with good color rendition (far better than the LCD on the GH2).

G5 focus speed was remarkably fast; it was a very zippy performer overall.  No complaints whatsoever there.

The G5 grip was a pleasure to hold.  I have small hands, and while I find the ergonomics of the GH3 pretty impressive, I wish the grip on it were just a hair less wide.  The G5 had a very enjoyable grip for me, and I would score this as a plus for this camera.

Coming from the GH2 and GH3, I found that I wanted a few more direct controls on the G5.  However, there were enough programmable buttons that I could have adapted to this very quickly.

There was one single ergonomic problem for me, however, that trumped all of the other positives of the camera, and that was the thumb wheel action.  I've been used to the GH2 thumbwheel (click to shift between aperture and exposure compensation adjustment).  I had really taken to that method of camera operation, and found the two wheel setup on the GH3 a big adjustment as a result, so I was looking forward to using it again on the G5.  Unfortunately, where the click wheel is located on the G5, it is very difficult to keep a good grip on the camera while moving your thumb all the way to the right to change the settings, AND the wheel is very stiff.  What this does, at least on the camera I had, is requires you to push a bit on the wheel to both hold on to the camera AND turn the wheel at the same time.  No problem right?  Well unfortunately, if you apply pressure to the wheel when you turn it, you end up clicking it into the other mode...Now, I might have had a particularly sticky/stiff to turn wheel, but I found this to be unuseable for me.   IF they had had a way to shut off the push-to-switch-mode action, I could have lived with it, but I was finding that every time I went to change aperture, I would end up clicking it into exposure compensation instead...and swearing at the camera as a result.   Sure the little exposure compensation lever they put behind the shutter is an excellent option, but if only they had made the click wheel function able to be shut off and used strictly for aperture (or shutter speed) control, it would have solved all the problems with the click wheel operation.

So, the long and short of it is, the G5 is a very nice little camera which just did not work for me.

I'm going to wait and see what they come out with down the road (maybe a rangefinder style with the GH3 sensor?....that would be PERFECT).

YMMV, as always.

-J

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
StevenN
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....
In reply to jalywol, Apr 13, 2013

Hi Jalywol,

I'm coming from a similar place as you. Although I received my GH3 in December, the gloomy winter weather has kept me from using it much. I know it shouldn't have -- there are plenty of subjects that don't require a warm, sunny day. But I am very much looking forward to flowers to start blooming and summer to arrive so I can give my camera a real workout.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhotOptimist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....
In reply to jalywol, Apr 13, 2013

I've been using GH3 since end of January 2013.

So far, I'm very satisfied...

Photo: Very good colors and DR.

Video: For time being there is not much better on the market.
In Cuba I've recorded excellent videos under very difficult lighting conditions.

The camera fits perfectly to my hands and there is a lot of useful control buttons.

It's a hard work for Panasonic to sell me another camera soon.
I'll spend my money on better lenses in future!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Grimm
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

I'm surprised you have trouble with the grip.  Maybe big hands?  I have no trouble at all gripping the camera while operating the wheel.  I have found it a bit too easy to push it by mistake though if I get too quick with it.

 Grimm's gear list:Grimm's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,567Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to Grimm, Apr 14, 2013

Grimm wrote:

I'm surprised you have trouble with the grip.  Maybe big hands?  I have no trouble at all gripping the camera while operating the wheel.  I have found it a bit too easy to push it by mistake though if I get too quick with it.

No, no; no trouble with the G5 grip at all (the GH3 grip is a bit wide for my small hands).  What I have trouble with on the G5 is feeling like the camera is securely held by the base of my thumb in back and my fingers in front when I move the top of my thumb to adjust the click wheel.  I just could not get leverage to do it without pushing it in at the same time, no matter how I shifted my hand around.  I think my very small hands may make it more difficult for me to get the right position to turn the wheel and hold the camera firmly. (And, as I said, I might have also gotten kind of a sticky wheel; it really took a bit of force to turn it (it was not smooth, and seemed to catch when I turned it in one direction more than the other).

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

jalywol wrote:

.There was one single ergonomic problem for me, however, that trumped all of the other positives of the camera, and that was the thumb wheel action.  I've been used to the GH2 thumbwheel (click to shift between aperture and exposure compensation adjustment).  I had really taken to that method of camera operation, and found the two wheel setup on the GH3 a big adjustment as a result, so I was looking forward to using it again on the G5.  Unfortunately, where the click wheel is located on the G5, it is very difficult to keep a good grip on the camera while moving your thumb all the way to the right to change the settings, AND the wheel is very stiff.  What this does, at least on the camera I had, is requires you to push a bit on the wheel to both hold on to the camera AND turn the wheel at the same time.  No problem right?  Well unfortunately, if you apply pressure to the wheel when you turn it, you end up clicking it into the other mode...Now, I might have had a particularly sticky/stiff to turn wheel, but I found this to be unuseable for me.   IF they had had a way to shut off the push-to-switch-mode action, I could have lived with it, but I was finding that every time I went to change aperture, I would end up clicking it into exposure compensation instead...and swearing at the camera as a result.   Sure the little exposure compensation lever they put behind the shutter is an excellent option, but if only they had made the click wheel function able to be shut off and used strictly for aperture (or shutter speed) control, it would have solved all the problems with the click wheel operation.

i had the same problem with the G3 : as much as I liked that click wheel on the G1, where it was well implemented, it had become a nuisance on the G3 for the very reason you are describing : the wheel didn't protrude out enough, it was hard to turn while at the same time to easy to click; also it became harder to turn with time, not less and  the number of accidental clicking kept growing.

The G3 was a deception for me : inferior to the G1 for ergonomic while not offering a very visible  sensor improvement. To the point that I got an E-P3 afterward and used it most of the time inspite of the older sensor : the camera was just much more agreeable to use.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

 rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,410Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

This is what I suspected may happen to many buyers of G5, GX1, E-PL3, due to the older sensors in them.

Like many things, we don't know what we are missing until we try the newer and better versions/features.  I remember many people, myself included, in the 80s commented about how we did not need AF and that it is not hard to manually focus and save a lot of money blah blah.... because we were used to manual focusing and there were so many bargains then too, of older cameras when more and more AF cameras appeared.

Many would argue that these cameras like G5 would be fine for less demanding users who do not need the very best and expensive cameras.  Such recommendation is not going to make people who actually buy those camera happy for very long, even though they may be for a while due to the great "bargains".  The reason is that M43 sensor IQ was not really adequate for many situations or any demanding situations (high ISO or high DR) and still lacking for most until the E-M5, the E-PM2, E-PL5 and GH3.  You don't have to have the best but it is ncessary to have enough IQ or whatever.  Another reason is that the OMD sensor is a significant improvement over previous sensors AND all the other makers are coming out with this same level or better IQ, which means a clearly newer and higher standard. The X-Tran sensor, the NEX sensors, and even Samsung's new 20MP sensor seems to be offering better IQ than last year's sensors.

It is good to hear your experience and I hope it is helpful to those bargain hunters who are still undecided to consider more carefully, especially those who already have a better camera seeking another body or those who are likely to be exposed to better equipment or become more serious in this hobby.  Unfortunate as it is, technology advancement leaves casualty behind. Bargains may not be such bargains if they cannot serve you long and end up left in a drawer somewhere.  TCO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,691Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 14, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

The reason is that M43 sensor IQ was not really adequate for many situations or any demanding situations (high ISO or high DR) and still lacking for most until the E-M5, the E-PM2, E-PL5 and GH3.

This.  Until the EM5 m43 was a part time system for me.  I got the GF1, loved everything about it besides the IQ (and when do I need a small pocket camera? during evenings out when lighting goes bad), got the G1 at the same time for the twin kit lenses.  The G1 came into its own three years later as a winter camera since I felt it could be trashed and I wouldn't miss it (wound up being a saviour thanks to its performance in adverse conditions), thought it did limit some of the shots, snow tends to be low DR (shadows can go to black just fine!) with low color fidelity requirements.  Even the GH2 (which I got last fall) is close enough to my old Canon 18MP sensors when it comes to daylight standard DR use (PL filters help a lot here), but indoors, or outdoors in sunrise/sunset/dusk/extreme lighting it can't keep up with my DSLRs.

The EM5 generation sony sensor single handedly made m43 my "on the go" replacement system for FF camera in all but the most specific (ie: lens specific) situations.  Since the EPM2 has the same guts, even without an EVF or tilting LCD, there would be no question when choosing a backup (if necessary!).   To me, the 20/1.7 represented m43's vision, but the Sony sensor made it a reality three years later.

-- hide signature --

-CW

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mazoeca
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

I have had the same problem with the click wheel on the G5.  It is an infuriating design flaw which drives me absolutely crazy! I started a thread on the subject some time ago which showed that quite a number of people had encountered the same difficulty - enough to become a deal breaker for many.  I can understand why it became an important factor in your decision not to go with G5.  Panasonic really needs to fix this problem with the G6 if they are to have any hope of success with the new model.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

This is what happens when we compare a top camera to other less expensive (but good) cameras.

For a demanding person to have two cameras, better to choose them from the same level of quality and price. This way when we use one and another pictures will have similar IQ.

But the G5 is not a deceiving camera in IQ, it can just not be equal to one that is a top camera.

I found the G5 a very pleasant and good camera for the price.

Let's see if they put the GH3 sensor on the G6, but I doubt. They have to keep the price competitive.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

I had a similar issue with the wheel on the GX1, but it was my first m43 camera, so I didn't have a baseline to compare it to. My second camera was an EPL-1, the GX1 was a better sensor in several aspects, but obviously not significantly better. It had no wheel, and I liked certain things on the EPL1 better and certain things on the GX1 better.

This made my transition to the EM5 pretty significant for me, as, aside from grip which I liked better on the EM5, the ergonomics of having two 3 wheels on top of the camera instead of just the mode dial and second adjustable wheel so much better. It added to some confusion I saw when people complained about ergonomics of the EM5: I hadn't used DSLRs, and while the GX1 felt great in my hands, the other ergonomics made up for it. It also had the built in EVF, which I had gotten used to on the GX1, the much better sensor, and ridiculously good IBIS.

I've since gotten a GF3 along with the 14mm, which new was the same price as the 14mm, and for a while considered it as a backup or small pocket camera with the 14mm. I didn't really like it much. The use of the GF3 was even less pleasant, the way you had to do mode dial and such all via menus, and I didn't really like the pop up flash and some other issues. When comparing it side by side with EPL1 with the FL300r vs the GX1 with pop up flash.. my not at all scientific process preferred the EPL1. The GF3 now collects dust (well, it's always good to have a third backup, right?). I have a LX7 now for pocket camera. While the GF3 is better, the LX1 has the zoom range that pushes it over the top.

Finally, this experience soured my idea at looking at the G5 as a second camera. The body ergonomics made me curious, as did having a fully articulate screen. but I think I'd feel limited by the sensor, even though the GX1 was great for me when I had it. I've now had better, and I've been spoiled
Right now the best backup camera for me looks like the EPL5, but that's still a bit pricy. I may get it in the future, but I'm also curious about the G6. If it gets a new sensor... it may be worth considering.

 Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

jalywol - thanks for the detailed post. i wanted to ask what program you're processing your raws in. i have been surpised at how good the G5 files are.... a big step up in DR and colour over the G3. using CS6 i find i can push and pull the files quite a lot with good highlight recovery and clean shadows. i also use  Canon 5d3 and while the G5 is not as good as that it's not that far behind.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eagle_I
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

jalywol wrote:

So, the long and short of it is, the G5 is a very nice little camera which just did not work for me.

I'm going to wait and see what they come out with down the road (maybe a rangefinder style with the GH3 sensor?....that would be PERFECT).

I've been a happy new GH3 owner for awhile now too.  When I discovered my 14-140mm would not allow for close enough focusing at the wide 28mm equiv end I started shopping for a lens.  Problem was the one I found I liked cost $1500 or so .... sheeesh just could not justify that for my anticipated limited use.  I'm a 95% of the time telephoto shooter.

Anyway when I realized the lens performance I needed could be had via another Panny camera I began to investigate.  Only took me a short time to feel an investment in a FZ200 at $500 would be a better option.

That was about 3 weeks ago .... and I've hardly touched the GH3 since.  I'm LOVIN the capability and convenience of the FZ200.  Image quality is amazing!  As a old fart with weakening eyes I miss the big bright ELV of the GH3, but I don't miss the weight of it and the 100-300mm.

The sadness that I've got a great new expensive GH3 sitting un-used has, now after typing this, turned to guilt.  DANG!  Tomorrow I WILL do some shooting with it!

The Panny Compact Camera Forum is a good resource to learn more about the FZ200 and seeimage examples.  Unfortunately you'll find complaints about it's quirky dial wheel too.  Found a post where one fellow said he removed some of the plastic material just above the top of the wheel so he could make better contact with it by pressing down.  Believe he also used a fine file to make the notches more "grippy."  This wheel has also been a problem for me, but I'm slowly getting better at using it.

Here's the link to the slo mo video I'd wanted to try to shoot with the GH3.  The FZ200 made it easy not only for providing lens needed, but it also has 120fps slo mo capture capability built-in.

Hummingbird feeder close-up in slow motion 2:26min

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,691Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 14, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Let's see if they put the GH3 sensor on the G6, but I doubt. They have to keep the price competitive.

Which is too bad, because the EPM2 has fallen to 30,000yen levels in Japan, and it already has the GH3 sensor.  I expect Olympus m43 sales among knowledgeable buyers to improve disproportionately as we move forward.

-- hide signature --

-CW

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

If you look at DxOMark, the GH3 sensor is clearly better, but I would submit that unless you shoot in low-light frequently, the differences may not be all that dramatic.

Except for low-light performance, the G5 has improved on the G3/GX1 sensor performance, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it, as it's actually quite capable of excellent IQ.

DxOMark Sensor Ratings - GH3 - G5 - OMD

Good luck and happy shooting, Markus

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a thumbwheel?
In reply to jalywol, Apr 14, 2013

Thanks for the helpful post.

Was tempted by a GX1 as an extra small body at a low price but it would seem it has the same thumbwheel as the G5. Need to try it out.

I gather the 45-150mm went back with the G5. Would have been interested in your assessment.

F.

 FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Apr 14, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

This is what I suspected may happen to many buyers of G5, GX1, E-PL3, due to the older sensors in them.

No, I don't think that at all. Many buyers will not have a better model in their home. For by far the most buyers, this is their first camera or they exchange it for their P&S or 4 year old DSLR.

and without knowing there is something better on the market I can imagine most being completely surprised by the size and IQ that in most cases is at least on par with what they had.
They probably will be astonished by the AF speed, that swiveling screen etcetc.

And somehting else: I have EPL5, I do see the difference with my GH2 precisely where you can expect to see it and that is colour rendition and most of all dynamic range. But I am still happy to use my GH2 when the EPl5 battery needs to be reloaded. Also, the ergonomics, swiveling screen and controls are what I really appreciate after having shot with the EPL5 exclusively for a while. I am not bothered that much by the GH2 IQ and it seems to be a very small bit behind the G5 IQ.

Like many things, we don't know what we are missing until we try the newer and better versions/features.  I remember many people, myself included, in the 80s commented about how we did not need AF and that it is not hard to manually focus and save a lot of money blah blah.... because we were used to manual focusing and there were so many bargains then too, of older cameras when more and more AF cameras appeared.

Many would argue that these cameras like G5 would be fine for less demanding users who do not need the very best and expensive cameras.  Such recommendation is not going to make people who actually buy those camera happy for very long, even though they may be for a while due to the great "bargains".

The G5 sensor is on par with all Canon DSLR sensors on each and every way (DxOmark). So, if I understand you correctly and follow you reasoning there are multitudes of people who bought a Canon and are not satisfied with the IQ? I don't believe that is true. On this forum, with a small subset of people deep into technology, yes you'll find them. But I am convinced that 99% of the buyers will be very happy with what they get and the same will be true for the G5.
In fact: even over here I have come across many G5 users that came from an EPL2 or G2, even G3 that are very happy with the cam in each and every way.

The reason is that M43 sensor IQ was not really adequate for many situations or any demanding situations (high ISO or high DR) and still lacking for most until the E-M5, the E-PM2, E-PL5 and GH3.

I have noted the difference, I shoot a lot of weatherpics where DR is especially demanding. The G5 cannot be mentioned in this way. It is much better, especially the DR than Epl1/2/3 and G1. I have the G1 and have shot it side by side for weatherpictures in very demanding DR situations. The GH2 hence the G5 is really a notable step up. In RAW there is more headroom. Yes, EPl5 also is notably better, but that gap is not as big in my experience. And that difference is more notable than the noise difference.

You don't have to have the best but it is ncessary to have enough IQ or whatever.  Another reason is that the OMD sensor is a significant improvement over previous sensors AND all the other makers are coming out with this same level or better IQ, which means a clearly newer and higher standard. The X-Tran sensor, the NEX sensors, and even Samsung's new 20MP sensor seems to be offering better IQ than last year's sensors.

It is good to hear your experience and I hope it is helpful to those bargain hunters who are still undecided to consider more carefully, especially those who already have a better camera seeking another body or those who are likely to be exposed to better equipment or become more serious in this hobby.  Unfortunate as it is, technology advancement leaves casualty behind. Bargains may not be such bargains if they cannot serve you long and end up left in a drawer somewhere.  TCO.

It is clear that my viewpoint is quite different. I saw the GH3 next to the G5 the other day and as unsespecting buyer I would have bought the G5 in a heartbeat. So much smaller it isn't even funny anymore. Of all the other mirrorless camera's I saw, the only other cam that looked so well rounded as the G5 was the NEX6 and 7. When people buy a G5, I think they'll appreciate that swiveling screen a whole lot, certainly when they shoot video. The small size, the good EVF. When buyers are used to 3-5 year old tech (and I think many will even have older camera's) the cam will be a big big step up. An incredible mix of convenience and IQ.

 Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 14, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

jalywol wrote:

.There was one single ergonomic problem for me, however, that trumped all of the other positives of the camera, and that was the thumb wheel action.  I've been used to the GH2 thumbwheel (click to shift between aperture and exposure compensation adjustment).  I had really taken to that method of camera operation, and found the two wheel setup on the GH3 a big adjustment as a result, so I was looking forward to using it again on the G5.  Unfortunately, where the click wheel is located on the G5, it is very difficult to keep a good grip on the camera while moving your thumb all the way to the right to change the settings, AND the wheel is very stiff.  What this does, at least on the camera I had, is requires you to push a bit on the wheel to both hold on to the camera AND turn the wheel at the same time.  No problem right?  Well unfortunately, if you apply pressure to the wheel when you turn it, you end up clicking it into the other mode...Now, I might have had a particularly sticky/stiff to turn wheel, but I found this to be unuseable for me.   IF they had had a way to shut off the push-to-switch-mode action, I could have lived with it, but I was finding that every time I went to change aperture, I would end up clicking it into exposure compensation instead...and swearing at the camera as a result.   Sure the little exposure compensation lever they put behind the shutter is an excellent option, but if only they had made the click wheel function able to be shut off and used strictly for aperture (or shutter speed) control, it would have solved all the problems with the click wheel operation.

i had the same problem with the G3 : as much as I liked that click wheel on the G1, where it was well implemented, it had become a nuisance on the G3 for the very reason you are describing : the wheel didn't protrude out enough, it was hard to turn while at the same time to easy to click; also it became harder to turn with time, not less and  the number of accidental clicking kept growing.

The G3 was a deception for me : inferior to the G1 for ergonomic while not offering a very visible  sensor improvement. To the point that I got an E-P3 afterward and used it most of the time inspite of the older sensor : the camera was just much more agreeable to use.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

It is a common problem with Panasonic now: they have the strange talent of spoiling successful product lines:

G2 -> G3

GF1 -> GF2, GF3, GF6

GH2 -> GH3

Fortunately, they are able to learn to some extend and correct mistakes:

GF1 -> GX1

G3 -> G5

GH3 -> G6?

With the GH3 Panasonic alienated quite a lot of GH2 customers, which happily switched to the E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

 tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
fz200
In reply to eagle_I, Apr 14, 2013

eagle_I wrote:

Here's the link to the slo mo video I'd wanted to try to shoot with the GH3.  The FZ200 made it easy not only for providing lens needed, but it also has 120fps slo mo capture capability built-in.

Hummingbird feeder close-up in slow motion 2:26min

No teleconverter attached to the cam?

I've been tempted by the FZ200 and you've just added to my gear lust.

Incredible footage; at first it looks like it's computer-generated; probably because of the slow motion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,035Gear list
Like?
Re: Spoiled by a sensor....(G5 vs GH3 (and GH2))
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 14, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

This is what happens when we compare a top camera to other less expensive (but good) cameras.

For a demanding person to have two cameras, better to choose them from the same level of quality and price. This way when we use one and another pictures will have similar IQ.

But the G5 is not a deceiving camera in IQ, it can just not be equal to one that is a top camera.

I found the G5 a very pleasant and good camera for the price.

Let's see if they put the GH3 sensor on the G6, but I doubt. They have to keep the price competitive.

Not true. If Olympus is able to put the E-M5 sensor in their PEN bodies without cannibalizing E-M5 sales a lot (PEN users don't buy an E-M5 due to the body size), then Panasonic should be able to do the same. Even more so, because the bulk of the GH3 isn't for the taste of many buyers of mirrorless system cameras.

Panasonic needs urgently a smaller (than GH3) body oriented at stills photographers (with good analog external controls and a good view finder) and the image quality of the E-M5/GH3.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

-- hide signature --

Thomas

 tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads