Is a D800 worth $6k?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
Blindman
Contributing MemberPosts: 951
Like?
Is a D800 worth $6k?
Apr 13, 2013

Mentioned to my wife several days ago that I'd like to upgrade my D7000 to a D800 which led to the "how much is it" question. To my amazement she said sure, but I get the same amount "no strings attached". So the question is if the D800 is worth $6,000 to upgrade from a D7000 that I have been very happy with. I have a decent assortment on FX lens so that won't be an issue. Mainly shoot wildlife and sports.

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SRFast
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Re: Is a D800 worth $6k?
In reply to Blindman, Apr 13, 2013

Please humor me.  Where did you come up with the $6,000 figure?

SRFast's gear list:SRFast's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D2H Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
You didn't read the post carefully
In reply to SRFast, Apr 13, 2013

SRFast wrote:

Since his wife gets the same amount, the $3K that he spends on D800 comes with a $3K penalty that goes to the wife.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Tbirdas
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: You didn't read the post carefully
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 13, 2013

Then I'd say its really free - so go for it (it s all relative!!!)

Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
It depends

Blindman wrote:

Mentioned to my wife several days ago that I'd like to upgrade my D7000 to a D800 which led to the "how much is it" question. To my amazement she said sure, but I get the same amount "no strings attached". So the question is if the D800 is worth $6,000 to upgrade from a D7000 that I have been very happy with. I have a decent assortment on FX lens so that won't be an issue. Mainly shoot wildlife and sports.

I  think, it is a fair deal. Your deserves to have some fun in lieu of your new toy. Whether it is worth or not depends on the amount of enjoyment you are going to derive from the new toy. The picture quality is not going to go up suddenly.

Comes down to your priorities and what you value the most.

-- hide signature --

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,578
Like?

Blindman wrote:

-- hide signature --

John

You should be pleased that your wife is taking such an interest. Imagine her smiling face when you give her a D800 to match your own "No strings attached"!

Only joking of course.

Just buy it and don't tell her. If she's not interested in photography then it will look just like your D7000 to her and she'll never know!

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,377
Like?

It depends on how happy your wife will be with $3,000.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,212Gear list
Like?
Re: Is a D800 worth $6k? No, not IMO

Blindman wrote:

I usually stay out of these types of questions, but for some reason, this one piqued my interest.

IMO, no, it's not worth $6k to buy a d800.  It's a fine camera and I like mine a great deal, but I like the images that I get from a d7k too.

Since you state that you've been happy with the d7k, why do you need a new camera?  There are always good reasons for buying a new camera, including just having the desire for one.  But, if it's a financial problem, why do it?

I only bought mine because it was a refurb that was on sale for $2300.  IOW, the d800 wasn't even worth its retail price to me, let alone $6k.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
ken6217
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
Do like me

Your present camera is a Nikon and it's black. Get the D800 and she won't know.

Works great for motorcycles too. I always get black, and she never knows I traded the bike in.

Ken

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654Gear list
Like?
If she spends her $3,000 on a weekend with a high-priced gigolo, then probably no...

...though only you can judge that for sure.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
alegator
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?

Blindman wrote:

-- hide signature --

John

The question you have to ask yourself is the other way around: is your wife worth $3000?

overniteman
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?
In reply to alegator, Apr 13, 2013

If you have the "bank", I'd say go for it. You both win.

Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 886
Like?

Blindman wrote:

-- hide signature --

John

sorry John..its a bit of a silly question..the D800 is certainly worth $3000..is your wife worth the other $3000..thats what you should have asked..and hopefully you know the right answer....

next time you want something.. don't tell her..just buy it

Johnhk
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?

There is the thought that to ask for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission. Regards,

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704Gear list
Like?
The real question is: Is your marriage worth $3K?
In reply to Blindman, Apr 14, 2013
No text.
 user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?

in this case, you may be underestimating what you are really getting for $6k: a camera, a happy wife (at least for a short while), and...

-- hide signature --

FTD5

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,669
Like?

How much additional revenue will you generate with the D800 over your current camera vs the $6k cost. I.e what is the payback? If you cant get a payback in 18 -24 months probably not worth it.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

pajarrett
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Is she buying the new lenses with the money?

Hey if you are getting the  camera (for family reasons; you know to document the family trips and events) at least she can chip in for a new 70-200 f/2.8 or maybe a 14-24 f/2.8.

pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
SRFast
Regular MemberPosts: 419Gear list
Like?
Re: You didn't read the post carefully
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 14, 2013

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

SRFast wrote:

Since his wife gets the same amount, the $3K that he spends on D800 comes with a $3K penalty that goes to the wife.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the clarification.  I need to stop multi tasking when reading thses posts.

-- hide signature --

43+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliuimages.com

SRFast's gear list:SRFast's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D2H Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
yihlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Re: Be creative.

Tell her you will:

Sell the not-too-old D7000 and downgrade to an old style, big, heavy, dinosaur type camera in order to bring some extra $$$ to the family.  And you demand a treat from her.

Your new, lowly camera should be a D80, ie D800 with a "0" scratched off.

A dumb wife will buy your story.  A smart wife, by playing herself dumb, enjoys man with creative idea.  You won't lose either way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads