Fuji SL1000 vs Sony HX300

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
VTRoB
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Fuji SL1000 vs Sony HX300
Apr 13, 2013

:-)Hi,I'm new to the forum,I only joined a few weeks ago after buying the Sony HX300;mainly because I'm slightly disappointed with some of the results of this camera.I now also have the Fuji SL1000 (long story!),one will eventually have to go,at the moment I am compareing the results of the 2.This is just a small comparison of the 2 cameras,mainly because the HX seems to get compared to the Fuji HS50EXR alot which has 'only' a 42x zoom where as  the others having 50x.

Both cameras have 50x optical zoom and they both have a good 100x digital zoom(the Fuji takes better photos at this zoom),the Sony goes all the way to 200x digital zoom,but as yet the results are disappointing.The sensor sizes are the same (I think),but the HX has 20mp where as the SL has 'only' 16mp.They are both excellent to hold in the hand,both having an excellent grip and reasonable weight.The Sony has some great manual settings and it is also very quick to change the ISO,shutter speed or aperture;the Fuji is a bit more fiddlely but gives you the macro/super macro modes,where the Sony does it automatically (?).The Sony HX seems to focus slower than the Fuji SL and in auto mode it also doesn't seem to give you an option for focus mode;where the SL lets you choose centre or multispot focus the HX doesn't (please let me know if you know diffrent),because of this it has meant I have been unable to focus on something like a bird in a tree,but the SL lets you be more presise.

So far I have had more good photos from the Fuji SL,the Sony HX seems to gives poorer (less sharp or more noise) results.I am posting a few photos taken on the same day with the 2 cameras under similar conditions,both were left on auto for fairness (although you can get reasonably good results by using the easily changeable manual settings on the HX).Light where posssible was the same and alot of the photos were taken at 50x,handheld (stablely and with the viewfinders(both good)).

Sony HX300

Fuji SL1000

Sony HX300

Fuji

Sony

Fuji

Sony

One of the better photos taken with this camera (it seems to take good photos in bright light),more photos from other members on the Sony Cybershot forum show good detail in good light!

Fuji

These are some of the photos taken today,all of which I am happy with.Both the cameras can take good and bad photos,the Fuji seems to take better photos more of the time.In lower light,not full sun the Fuji is better,the Sony's photos always seem more noisey or less sharp.I like the Sony for the manual setting features and build quality,I just seem to get better results,more of the time with the Fuji.

Hope you like the photos and my (small) review

Having just veiwed the post,it would appear I have the date set wrong on the Fuji,sorry!

VTRoB's gear list:VTRoB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR
Fujifilm FinePix SL1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,715Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji SL1000 vs Sony HX300
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 13, 2013

Nice work. I have been following user reports of both the HS50 and the SL1000.

So far I have been impressed with what I have seen from the SL1000, and have begun to wonder if this isn't Fuji's dark horse model. Given the highly variable results of the HS50 and the complexity of it settings to get good images, it seems like its smaller brother may in fact be stealing some of the lime light. For me your Fuji images just seem to have the  extra bit of IQ and colour.

Looking at the original images, the Fuji seems pretty good as far as noise control is concerned and detail is good as well.

How fast and accurate is the Auto Focus on this camera, and the other telling thing, how fast is the zoom when you need to change focal length?

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tim39
Senior MemberPosts: 2,883
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 13, 2013

I think your excellent short review & pix pretty much mirrors the dominant feeling around here that Sonies have the comparative weaknesses you describe.

I took a quick look at the prices of those two cams on Amazon and was stunned.  The HX300 is almost $150 more than the SL1000.  Since I can't see so much as $1 more of IQ from the Sony, I'd send it packing without a second thought...or a second's delay.  The again, I'm cheap, and very demanding of proof that a more expensive model is worth the premium asked.

By the way, like you, I enjoyed all the photos you showed. I was particularly impressed with second photo -- first from the Fuji.

Interestingly, to me at least, this is the second post I've seen today of a Fuji bridge displaying equal or better results than I've seen for the much more heavily discussed and debated HS50.  Much as I'd love to have manual zoom, I haven't seen anything so far to justify the premium for the HS50.

Good luck and much enjoyment with your ultimate choice.  As long as you're happy, the rest won't matter much.

-- hide signature --

Tim

MarvinErich
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, Apr 14, 2013

VERY GOOD!

Here I saw better IQ than HS50 in my opinion...

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarvinErich, Apr 14, 2013

MarvinErich wrote:

VERY GOOD!

Here I saw better IQ than HS50 in my opinion...

If it is resolving a very distant subject perhaps but within 1000mm I don't think so.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,341Gear list
Like?

Would like to see more of your comparisons, nice shooting. How fast is the 1000?

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
MarvinErich
Like?

Can you take a picture in wide angle to distance subject, may be a city as http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51254098?image=3 ?

Wanna see how SL1000 and HS300 responds to details.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Apr 14, 2013

Thanks for the comments.I did consider the HS50 as I have the HS28 which also has the manual zoom,up to 30x.I think the manual zooms help increase battery life and they are certainly a bit quicker from wide angle to full zoom;having said that the zooms on both the SL1000 and the HX300 aren't too bad,going up to full 50x optical zoom in about 3-4 seconds,which I don't think is too bad.The focusing on the Fuji seems quite quick,at any zoom and as I said in the original post you have the option to choose a centre focus (with a marker on the display to show what it is focusing on).The Sony is a bit it and miss at times with the focusing,I found when focusing at high zooms it will sometimes focus on nearer objects(although this could just be down to the composition of the photo!),also it gives no indication of what it is focusing on (middle of the frame?);I think the Sony does take alittle longer to focus.

HX300,50x focused on the fence!!!!

SL1000 50X

Admittedly I could probably have focused on the bush behind the horse with the Sony and then recommposed the shot.But the Fuji seemed to focus better,more of the time.

Check out some more photo uploads,in the other replies I have posted.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to Tim39, Apr 14, 2013

Thanks for the comments.The SL seems to get mentioned very little with the HS50 getting more reviews and comments.I considered the HS50 as I have the HS28,I like the manual zoom,although the zooms on the HX30 and SL1000 are not too bad (3-4 seconds to full 50x!).The SL doesn't give you as many settings,but so far I am getting some good photos,with good detail!

Fuji SL1000. Konik ponies,Lopham Fen,UK

Konik ponies

A very breezy day-Lopham Fen,UK Fuji SL1000

All the photos in this post were taken today (14th April),the first warm day of the year! Hopefully everything will start looking green soon.I took photos with the Sony HX300 and Fuji SL1000,the breeze was a bit of a problem at full zoom(movement).I seemed to get better results with the SL,although to be fair the next was taken with the HX.

A good photo from the HX300.

Overall I get more good photos from the SL.Have posted more photos in other replies.

VTRoB
Like?
In reply to MarvinErich, Apr 14, 2013

Here are some comparisons between the Sony HX300 and Fuji SL1000;from wide angle to 50x.

Fuji wide angle

Fuji 50x

Fuji 50x

Sony wide angle

Sony 50x

Sony 50x

Both cameras zoom from wide angle to 50x in 3-4 seconds;the Fuji focuses quicker.Images look similar wide angle (my position wasn't great-under trees shooting in to sunlit area).I think the 50x images of the Fuji give better detail,also shown in the next set.

Sony wide angle

Sony 50x

Sony 50x

Fuji wide angle

Fuji 50x

Fuji 50x

I think the Fuji photos at 50x are alot sharper than the Sony.

A lucky shot of a heron in flight with the Fuji

Hope this is a fair comparison.The Fuji still seems to take the better photo,more of the time.The Sony does take some nice images,but is more inconsistant.

Darkdac
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, May 7, 2013

In my opinion Sony has better IQ

Darkdac's gear list:Darkdac's gear list
Canon PowerShot A510 Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +1 more
mango_tree1
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, May 11, 2013

Thanks for the review, can you say something about the digital-zoom (comparision of 100x) and how much decrease the IQ when using it (is this a postprocess or do you have to choose it before you take the shot?)

Thanks in advance.

Ethan Yeung
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, May 16, 2013

Wow!  I am impressed with the Fuji.  I am almost buying the Sony but after this, I may need some thinking...   I haven't tried the Fuji yet, but it seems the Fuji has a much higher contrast and detail when fully zoomed.  Though the Sony is not as good, I really like the handy zoom ring and the filter thread. Are there a filter thread in the Fuji? And how's the video quality?   Thank you very much!

Axel Vercauteren
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
In reply to VTRoB, May 16, 2013
Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 3,309
Like?
In reply to Axel Vercauteren, May 17, 2013

Axel Vercauteren wrote:

I like your pictures. What is going wrong at http://tech2.in.com/reviews/cameras/fujifilm-finepix-sl1000-review/872210/1#story ?

Wow, something is wack on that camera. I know the SL1000 is capable of some very good, even great images.

Here's a positive review on the SL1000:http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-sl1000-review-21409

Another:http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_sl1000_review/

Comments from above article:
"Despite our reservations about the noise, the image quality is very good. Taking pictures at low ISO will produce very high quality results.. The images are well exposed, sharp and colourful. The digital filters and effects are fun to use, such as Toy camera and Selective colour".

Here's a few of mine with the same series camera (S8200) that uses the same CMOS (non EXR) sensor.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51475017

gautamlakra
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, May 28, 2013

THe IQ on Sony is better ! Much more fun to use also

Sactojim
Like?
In reply to gautamlakra, May 31, 2013

gautamlakra wrote:

THe IQ on Sony is better ! Much more fun to use also

Do you have some comparison images or a article to support your claim? The Sony HX series is a known JPEG smear shooter on leaves, grass, etc.

gautamlakra
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, Jun 5, 2013
Andew
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to gautamlakra, Jun 6, 2013

So how much time did you spend on post processing? Just asking because some of them obviously have ''the look.''

Sactojim
Like?
In reply to gautamlakra, Jun 6, 2013

gautamlakra wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aisse_gaertner/

see these by hx300 sony

No doubt about it..beautiful work! Love the rich colors of the birds and landscape. Are these yours? If so, congratulations as they look great on my big screen.

The Fuji SL1000 new and has been only available a month or two and I'm sure someone will come along with this photogs skills and show much the same. I've seen photo sites from Canon, Panny, Nikon, Fuji, etc. and all done well..which leads me to believe a good photographer can make any of these super zoom cameras render excellent images. In the end, there is no one "best' camera..only the ones we as individuals like best.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads