Building a PC

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,508
Like?
Your Video Card choice probably stinks
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 22, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

GPU: Zotec something, Nvidia 4GB, i will be sure to checkout this, but it costs about $135

That sounds like an entry level card.   Manufacturers tend to add more memory to "suck in" consumers that don't know any better; because it looks like you're getting a better card; when they're not going to perform very well at all for most purposes if the GPU design is still slow.

I'd get the exact model of what they're proposing for more informed responses.

Memory is a secondary consideration as far as video card performance, once you get to around 1GB.

For example, Zotac makes a GT 630 card with 4GB of memory that I see for sale on some U.S. Sites like newegg.com.  This card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500255

All of the other Zotac Cards they have for sale there with 4GB of memory are priced *much* higher (hundreds of dollars).  So, I suspect they're trying to sell you an entry level GT 630.

The GT 630 is an entry level card that can run from PCIe bus power (meaning you wouldn't need that higher wattage Power Supply) and would only test at around 717 on the Passmark test series (and just because they sell it with 4GB of memory is not going to make any difference in real world use compared to a card with only 1GB of memory instead).

That card uses GDDR3 (not GDDR5) with only 96 CUDA cores (based on the older Fermi architecture versus newer Kepler Archeticture that higher end 6xx series cards use), with very limited bandwidth to the memory (because it's 128 Bit GDDR3).

Benchmarks for a GT 630 here (and just because it a card may have 4GB of memory is not going to make it any faster than one with only 1GB of memory instead, as the extra  memory makes a negligible difference for virtually anything you'd do once you get over 1GB):

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+630

Heck, I've got a GT 440 with 1GB of GDDR5 (not slower GDDR3 like the stock GT 440 cards use) that would probably outperform a GT 630 with 4GB of GDDR3.  I bought it for $59 with free shipping a while back.

In contrast, a GTX 660 would test at more than 5 times as fast at 4085 on the same benchmarks.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+660

A GTX 660 uses a wider 192 Bit (versus 128 Bit) path to memory (and uses much faster GDDR5 versus GDDR3) with 960 CUDA cores (10 times the amount you get with the entry level GT 630).  Other internal specs are much better, too.

So, I'd take a GTX 660 with 1.5GB of 192 Bit GDDR5, 960 CUDA Cores, newer Kepler architecture, and more any day of the week; as compared to an entry level card like a GT 630 with 4GB of slower 128 bit GDDR3 and only 96 CUDA cores based on the older Fermi architecture..

You've specifically mentioned wanting to get into gaming, etc.  Sorry, an entry level like a GT 630 is *not* going to be suitable for that purpose.

At a *minimum* for gaming (and you still won't be able to play all games at their highest quality settings), I'd look at something like a GTX 650Ti (or even better GTX 650Ti Boost, as the newer "Boost" models are closer to the GTX 660 in performance).

But, the best "bang for the buck" for a gaming suitable card would come with the GTX 660 models right now.   I'd lean towards a GTX 660 with 1.5GB or more (for a bit of "future proofing" over the 1GB models) and you'll be fine for most anything you'd want to throw at it.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,508
Like?
Value (Price/Performance ratio)
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Apr 22, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Benchmarks for a GT 630 here (and just because it a card may have 4GB of memory is not going to make it any faster than one with only 1GB of memory instead, as the extra  memory makes a negligible difference for virtually anything you'd do once you get over 1GB):

IOW, I suspect that's what they're trying to sell you (or a similar spec card like it) from what I can gather (Zotac model with 4GB of memory for $135, which probably reflects a "hefty" markup over the retail price.

Look at the Value section at the bottom of that page.    That kind of card has a terrible price/performance ratio (a.k.a., "bang for the buck").

That's the type of card you'd buy if you're using an entry level (a.k.a, budget)  "off the shelf" PC with a lower wattage PSU (e.g., 350 Watt), because you need a lower power draw card that is capable of running from PCIe Bus Power without any separate power connections.

Sure... it can handle things like HD Video Playback OK (as can the GPU in latest mobile phones for that matter), and may be fine for most uses (other than gaming).

But, you've specifically mentioned gaming, video editing, etc. in previous posts; and it doesn't sound like you're going to go with a 300 Watt or 350 Watt PSU that would limit your choices to that type of video card.

So, if you really want a card that is capable of playing modern games at the higher quality settings, you'll want to *avoid* that type of card, and go with something more suitable instead (as modern games will be virtually unplayable at higher resolutions with their highest quality settings with an entry level card like that, giving you very slow frame rates compared to higher end card models).

IOW, on a very tight budget, I'd look at something like a factory overclocked GTX 650TI for gaming use (keeping in mind that it's still not going to be able to play all games at the highest quality settings, but should be OK for casual use); or even better, look at the newer GTX 650Ti Boost models (as the newer Boost models have much better specs than the original GTX 650Ti models with performance that's closer to the GTX 660).

But, the best "bang for the buck" (price/performance ratio, a.k.a., Value) in a newer model, gaming capable card would be the GTX 660.  I'd probably get one with 1.5GB or 2GB of memory for a bit of "future proofing" over the 1GB models.   Note the value section at the bottom of this page (very nice "bang for the buck"):

IOW, I'd only go with something like a GT 630 if you don't care about a card for gaming use.   It's just too slow for that purpose, even though it would be fine for HD video playback and still photo image editing.

On an *extremely* tight budget, perhaps a GTX 650 with 384 CUDA cores and 128 Bit GDDR5 could work.  But, you wouldn't be able to use the highest quality settings at higher resolutions with many games with that kind of card.   But, it would still be a *lot* better than a GT 630 or similar using 96 CUDA cores with slower GDDR3.   In any event,

If you really want a card for gaming, I'd move up to a GTX 650Ti at a minimum (keeping in mind that you'd still need to dial back the quality settings for use with some of the more demanding games).  But, a GTX 660 would be the preferred choice for gaming purposes at higher resolutions (as it gives you a much better price/performance ratio compared to the lower end card models).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Tareq Abdulla
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: Value (Price/Performance ratio)
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Apr 22, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

IOW, I suspect that's what they're trying to sell you (or a similar spec card like it) from what I can gather (Zotac model with 4GB of memory for $135, which probably reflects a "hefty" markup over the retail price.

Look at the Value section at the bottom of that page.    That kind of card has a terrible price/performance ratio (a.k.a., "bang for the buck").

That's the type of card you'd buy if you're using an entry level (a.k.a, budget)  "off the shelf" PC with a lower wattage PSU (e.g., 350 Watt), because you need a lower power draw card that is capable of running from PCIe Bus Power without any separate power connections.

Sure... it can handle things like HD Video Playback OK (as can the GPU in latest mobile phones for that matter), and may be fine for most uses (other than gaming).

But, you've specifically mentioned gaming, video editing, etc. in previous posts; and it doesn't sound like you're going to go with a 300 Watt or 350 Watt PSU that would limit your choices to that type of video card.

So, if you really want a card that is capable of playing modern games at the higher quality settings, you'll want to *avoid* that type of card, and go with something more suitable instead (as modern games will be virtually unplayable at higher resolutions with their highest quality settings with an entry level card like that, giving you very slow frame rates compared to higher end card models).

IOW, on a very tight budget, I'd look at something like a factory overclocked GTX 650TI for gaming use (keeping in mind that it's still not going to be able to play all games at the highest quality settings, but should be OK for casual use); or even better, look at the newer GTX 650Ti Boost models (as the newer Boost models have much better specs than the original GTX 650Ti models with performance that's closer to the GTX 660).

But, the best "bang for the buck" (price/performance ratio, a.k.a., Value) in a newer model, gaming capable card would be the GTX 660.  I'd probably get one with 1.5GB or 2GB of memory for a bit of "future proofing" over the 1GB models.   Note the value section at the bottom of this page (very nice "bang for the buck"):

IOW, I'd only go with something like a GT 630 if you don't care about a card for gaming use.   It's just too slow for that purpose, even though it would be fine for HD video playback and still photo image editing.

On an *extremely* tight budget, perhaps a GTX 650 with 384 CUDA cores and 128 Bit GDDR5 could work.  But, you wouldn't be able to use the highest quality settings at higher resolutions with many games with that kind of card.   But, it would still be a *lot* better than a GT 630 or similar using 96 CUDA cores with slower GDDR3.   In any event,

If you really want a card for gaming, I'd move up to a GTX 650Ti at a minimum (keeping in mind that you'd still need to dial back the quality settings for use with some of the more demanding games).  But, a GTX 660 would be the preferred choice for gaming purposes at higher resolutions (as it gives you a much better price/performance ratio compared to the lower end card models).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Well, in fact i am not worry about the Graphics Card they will install because i will definitely change that sooner or later, i can tell them to install it then take it out to use on my very old desktop if it will accept it.

I hope the price/cost they quote me will not be too much high than if i do all that by myself ordering from online and ship to my country, i will go through each part price details and see where they overprice me, the CPU and Motherboard price is rest on about $1000, i know that is too much but i saw that this processor with the Mobo is coming around $850-950, so i think $50-150 can be the shipping price with Tax/customs, i will be fine with $1000 for CPU+Motherboard, will see that about $550 wasted on what then?

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961
Like?
Re: Building a PC
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 22, 2013

Tareq - 8GB RAM doesn't make much sense, that'll be either 2*4GB or 4*2GB, either way, a bad choice for you. You should be getting 8GB sticks, and ideally using at a bare minimum 2, but better still, 3 or 4. As your X79 is a 4 channel system.

The Graphics card doesn't seem like a good option either, I would suggest an Nvidia 660 minimum for what you've been talking about. The 630 mentioned in this thread would be a poor performer even with 4GB memory - which is a little much honestly. If you're looking to keep the cost down, but get something useful, I suggest the 660 with 2GB.

Roland.

-- hide signature --
Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to Roland Wooster, Apr 22, 2013

Roland Wooster wrote:

Tareq - 8GB RAM doesn't make much sense, that'll be either 2*4GB or 4*2GB, either way, a bad choice for you. You should be getting 8GB sticks, and ideally using at a bare minimum 2, but better still, 3 or 4. As your X79 is a 4 channel system.

The Graphics card doesn't seem like a good option either, I would suggest an Nvidia 660 minimum for what you've been talking about. The 630 mentioned in this thread would be a poor performer even with 4GB memory - which is a little much honestly. If you're looking to keep the cost down, but get something useful, I suggest the 660 with 2GB.

Roland.

-- hide signature --

My point is, i get whatever machine is now locally, then i change what it needs to be changed, all the processors and parts are very expensive here, but i should get something from here, so i decided to go with processor and motherboard and case from here, and whatever RAM and Graphics card they add i will replace it, i can't ask them to put 16/32GB as it will cost me around $300-400 here, while i can buy that only and with shipping it may not reach even $200, so i will save more buying the RAM online, and also the graphics card the model you recommend me will be cheaper purchasing online, ofcourse 8GB and some cheapo graphic card will not cut it down, but i will go with what they add, the man told me that he ordered the processor and the motherboard from one company maybe a dealer from big city, the GPU/RAM/Fan/Power supply those are from his store, so i can ask them to  ignore the GPU and RAM if i want to save more money to buy them online, but if that GPU costs about say $135 then i have an idea to go with it until i can better one from online and waiting for shipping and arrive here, will take maximum 2 weeks at worst.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
Tareq Abdulla
Like?
An updated NEWS
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 24, 2013

I bought a desktop from a local store with parts i asked and some aren't much important i will change later when i can.

The 2 things i sure want to change are:

1. SSD, i have Samsung 840 series 128GB non Pro, so i would like to go with Samsung Pro 256GB.

2. Graphic Card,  they installed something normal not great enough, but just for quick few days use i will keep it until i order one either from online or if i can find it locally somewhere, then i can use that current one for another low performance computer.

The RAM is 8GB now, but i will definitely increase it to either 16GB or 32GB, the motherboard can go up to 64GB but i am not in tush to go for maximum RAM yet.

I am not sure if the motherboard is good one, but this is what they told me available in addition to ASUS, but this is the only one it have Bluetooth+WiFi included [it is just a card], anyway, i said before that i will not care too much about so powerful motherboard, at the end it is X79 Intel chipset inside, so this will make it a decent one for a while.

Thanks for all the help and opinion/suggestions/recommendations, sure i need you for anything i search to get.

ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: An updated NEWS
In reply to Tareq Abdulla, Apr 25, 2013

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

I bought a desktop from a local store with parts i asked and some aren't much important i will change later when i can.

1. SSD, i have Samsung 840 series 128GB non Pro, so i would like to go with Samsung Pro 256GB.

2. Graphic Card,  they installed something normal not great enough, but just for quick few days use i will keep it until i order one either from online or if i can find it locally somewhere, then i can use that current one for another low performance computer.

The RAM is 8GB now, but i will definitely increase it to either 16GB or 32GB, the motherboard can go up to 64GB but i am not in tush to go for maximum RAM yet.

I am not sure if the motherboard is good one, but this is what they told me available in addition to ASUS, but this is the only one it have Bluetooth+WiFi included [it is just a card], anyway, i said before that i will not care too much about so powerful motherboard, at the end it is X79 Intel chipset inside, so this will make it a decent one for a while.

Thanks for all the help and opinion/suggestions/recommendations, sure i need you for anything i search to get.

With all respect, you lack too much knowledge and you don't know what you need. You chose the X79 platform and you may not use it's full potentials and you may not even reach it's capabilities. You could have saved a very good bulk of money going with Z77 chipset and it may be overkill too for your needs. If you knew the difference between 840/840 Pro you wouldn't think about changing it. You don't know what they put in your PC and in the first post you say you need a GTX 690, the difference between GTX 690 and GT 630 is like the difference between sky and earth. You don't know the real use of the extra RAM you want to add.

Just think and do your own search before investing too much money on something you wouldn't ever use.

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to ilysaml, Apr 25, 2013

ilysaml wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

With all respect, you lack too much knowledge and you don't know what you need. You chose the X79 platform and you may not use it's full potentials and you may not even reach it's capabilities. You could have saved a very good bulk of money going with Z77 chipset and it may be overkill too for your needs. If you knew the difference between 840/840 Pro you wouldn't think about changing it. You don't know what they put in your PC and in the first post you say you need a GTX 690, the difference between GTX 690 and GT 630 is like the difference between sky and earth. You don't know the real use of the extra RAM you want to add.

Just think and do your own search before investing too much money on something you wouldn't ever use.

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

It is not your fault at all, it is my fault that i was not very clear at all on my posts, but to clarify few things, i got that Samsung 840 non pro 128GB before i get that machine and i was planning to put it in my very old machine, that old one doesn't have SATA 2 or 3, so Pro version will not have any benefit on very old machine, and because i didn't order that Pro version yet and it will take time so i thought to install that non pro 128GB now, i will order Pro version soon maybe next week and very easy i put it instead of that 128GB, on number 1 i said i had non Pro 128GB and will go with Pro 256, did i say i am not sure which one i have to choose?

About Graphics Card, did i say i want to use 630? I just said i didn't find that card you recommended me locally and it may take time to find it, same also if i order it online it will take time, so i can't wait with this machine until the Graphics card can arrive or be found, so i told them go with whatever they have for now and once i get the one you recommend me then i replace it immediately  i need to operate the machine as soon as possible to install programs and drivers or at least install OS, so that step can be fine with cheapest lowest GPU, when i will get the better GPU then easy to change it and then start the heavy games and video and applications, did i say somewhere that i don't want a better GPU? Don't worry if i started with some cheapo parts, but overall i have other things great such as the Processor and the fans, within 1 week or 2 i will be upgrading the SSD and RAM and Graphics card to better ones, is there any problem?

ilysaml
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?

Nope, GL with your purchase!

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to ilysaml, Apr 25, 2013

ilysaml wrote:

Nope, GL with your purchase!

-- hide signature --

Ilysaml

Thank you very much!

Now i have a question about one thing, which sound card do you recommend me to choose?

About RAM, let's say i decide which size i want to go with, but there are many speeds of the memory card, which speed i should go with if the motherboard support many speeds?

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785
Like?

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

About RAM, let's say i decide which size i want to go with, but there are many speeds of the memory card, which speed i should go with if the motherboard support many speeds?

Just the optimum speed as by the CPU optimized, so 1600 Mhz
It has no practical use to go higher. Higher need more voltage, resulting in more heat and less reliability.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 25, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

It has no practical use to go higher. Higher need more voltage, resulting in more heat and less reliability.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Ah ok, thanks to tell me that.

Tareq Abdulla
Like?

Leon Obers wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

I may do it once rather than upgrade to 16GB then to 32GB later, so from this link, which one you want to choose?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006127%20600083963&IsNodeId=1&page=2&bop=And&CompareItemList=147%7C20-231-610%5E20-231-610-TS%2C20-233-232%5E20-233-232-TS%2C20-233-368%5E20-233-368-TS%2C20-233-303%5E20-233-303-TS%2C20-233-229%5E20-233-229-TS&percm=20-233-303%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B20-233-229%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Tareq Abdulla
Like?
Re: Value (Price/Performance ratio)
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Apr 25, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Bumping this post again.

I am now confusing about many GPU options, GTX 660, GTX 660 Ti, GTX 670, even that 660 and 670 have many models, so i am really not sure which one i choose?!!!

Also i am thinking about 2 GPUs vs. 1 GPU, do you think let's say 2 GTX 650 is performing for me better than say GTX 670? i see that 660 is a middle road, i can go with 680 as maximum but maybe that is too much, 690 is just a dream and i will not buy it even it get the highest points, so i am between 660 and 670, and that 680 has only about 5-10% of choice.

Leon Obers
Like?

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

I may do it once rather than upgrade to 16GB then to 32GB later, so from this link, which one you want to choose?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006127%20600083963&IsNodeId=1&page=2&bop=And&CompareItemList=147%7C20-231-610%5E20-231-610-TS%2C20-233-232%5E20-233-232-TS%2C20-233-368%5E20-233-368-TS%2C20-233-303%5E20-233-303-TS%2C20-233-229%5E20-233-229-TS&percm=20-233-303%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B20-233-229%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Depends to the model and space of a CPU cooler installed on the motherboard and the layout of the motherboard. The high model memory heat-sinks as from two CORSAIR Vengeance types (the black ones) mostly come into conflict to the wide spread dimensions of a CPU cooler heatsink / fan. Even the more low profile CORSAIR Dominator, it could be that you have to take off a small tile of the upper part of the heatsink. (In past I have seen images of it, for mounting properly).

I would suggest the G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series, as these are rather low in profile, but also do have the most fast latency values (9-9-9-24). But you really have to measure the dimensions of the choosen CPU-cooler, convincing if it brings no problems in using it, to the heat sinks of the memory. The other even more low profile memory modules are the blue type heatsink CORSAIR vengeance modules, but these have latency values just a tiny bit slower.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Leon Obers
Like?

Leon Obers wrote:
Even the more low profile CORSAIR Dominator, it could be that you have to take off a small tile of the upper part of the heatsink. (In past I have seen images of it, for mounting properly).

Found some information mounting these CORSAIR Dominator memory modules in combination to the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler:
<< See mounting details, taking of the top part of the heatsink. >>
<< More details and specifications about dimensions etc as for the Noctua CPU cooler. >>

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Tareq Abdulla
Like?

Leon Obers wrote:

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

Depends to the model and space of a CPU cooler installed on the motherboard. The high model memory heat-sinks as from two CORSAIR Vengeance types (the black ones) mostly come into conflict to the wide spread dimensions of a CPU cooler heatsink / fan. Even the more low profile CORSAIR Dominator, it could be that you have to take off a small tile of the upper part of the heatsink. (In past I have seen images of it, for mounting properly).

I would suggest the G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series, as these are rather low in profile, but also do have the most fast latency values (9-9-9-24). But you really have to measure the dimensions of the choosen CPU-cooler, convincing if it brings no problems in using it, to the heat sinks of the memory. The other low profile memory are the blue type heatsink CORSAIR modules, but these have latency values just a tiny bit slower.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Ok, sorry to say that but i didn't understand much of your post here, should i take a snapshot of my case inside so you can check if it will be fine to choose one card to another? Not sure if the pic will tell about dimensions but it may give an idea about it so you may tell which one to go with.

Tareq Abdulla
Like?

Here is the specifications of my computer so far, few things will be changed soon:

CPU: Intel i7-3930K

Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UD5

RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB 1600MHz

HDDrive: Samsung 840series 128GB + WD blue 500GB 7200 HDD [due to change/replacement]

GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 630 4GB [due to change/replacement]

Power: Omega ATX750W [i want to change it if it is not good enough]

Cooling: Corsair H60

Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 VN700M1W2N

Missing is a sound card if needed or necessary.

Leon Obers
Like?

Tareq Abdulla wrote:

Ok, sorry to say that but i didn't understand much of your post here, should i take a snapshot of my case inside so you can check if it will be fine to choose one card to another? Not sure if the pic will tell about dimensions but it may give an idea about it so you may tell which one to go with.

See my previous message  just before you wrote another question.
Very difficult to tell from a picture if your motherboard, cooler etc. is sufficient for room. You really have to measure itself. See some examples what could be the problem at next URL

Specially look at the fourth picture.

From these examples there is NO Problem, but you can imagine, if the heatsink of the memory is just more more high as e.g. from the black Corsair Vengeance Type modules, you get into trouble using a big CPU cooler.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Leon Obers
Like?

As from another message you placed just some minutes ago , using a water cooler, I think there shall be no problems using more high profile heatsink memory modules as the water cooler part for the CPU takes far less room in comparison to a CPU heatsink cooler + fans.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads