Here's my plan for 5D Mark III - does it make sense?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220
Like?
Here's my plan for 5D Mark III - does it make sense?
Apr 13, 2013
No text.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,492Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's my plan for 5D Mark III - does it make sense?
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 13, 2013

May6be but I don't know.  I think you should do the first plan.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lordbeau
Like?

Sorry, that makes no sense at all as the it published before I added the text!

I am planning to jump ship back to Canon where I was from T70 and T90 days up to and including 20D.

I shall get 5D and 24-105 lens (cashback at the mo), 17-40 lens (cashback again), 600EX-RT speedlight (also on cashback here in the UK), a 430EX speedlight for good measure, a 40mm new STM lens for lightness and emergencies, and then I need a backup. I will be so totally out of money by then it will be a 650D maximum. Yes, 7D would be nice but no chance.

PS After having my first ever card corruption today (!) (32GB CF Extreme Pro though the shots were already downloaded), I know that I need dual cards.

Ultradan
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?

And you felt the need to share that incoherent plan with us why?

lordbeau
Like?
In reply to Ultradan, Apr 13, 2013

To make me feel better about spending all that lolly...

(What's so incoherent? I'm just asking if the choice of lenses and flashguns is sensible).

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,792
Like?

Maybe if you told us what you plan to do with the camera, we could judge better.  Are you an amateur or trying to make a living?  What kinds of things do you shoot, landscapes, sports, holiday snapshots, weddings, insects... ?

It seems to me that two flash guns are overkill, but if you are an event photographer, maybe not.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

thomas2279f
Senior MemberPosts: 2,434Gear list
Like?

Excellent and add in a 70-200 F4 L Is also if possible - also the 100-400 L IS is not bad on the 5D also.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D7100 +47 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,683
Like?

I'd be much more concerned with the card corruption! How are you transferring your images? I've used the expensive Lexar cards for years--thousands of assignments, hundreds of thousands of frames--and never lost an image.

I use a card reader and do a simple "drag and drop" into a new file on my computer for each assignment (I'm a photojournalist). I do NOT use a program that ingests or renames or indexes my images during transfer. Then I format the card in camera after each assignment.

If you are doing this, too, never mind. Good luck!

lordbeau
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Apr 14, 2013

Yes, my background is in photojournalism. Just found some old photos of Maggie Thatcher that I stuck on my site as a tribute!

This is the first time I have had a card 'corrupt'. It wouldn't go into the card reader or back into the camera (Nikon D300s) without demanding a format. I did format it, knowing I wasn't bothered about the photos on it. I was then able to recover all the photos (and some going back over a year!) within 30 mins using the Sandisk Rescue program that came with the card (Extreme 'normal'). Oddly, it is now demanding to be formatted again so I suspect the card is no longer trustworthy. When you have two card slots, you are less worried about such things.

Anyway, I have only the one camera body these days which is much more dangerous than just one card slot (at least two of everything IMO including flash and lenses). I have the option of continuing with Nikon (D600 or D800) or going back to Canon. I have fond memories of the T70 and T90 in the 1980s and I got on fine with the 20D during its day. Do I regret moving to Nikon? Yes, overall, but will I regret going back to Canon? I am afraid it is QC issues that put me off staying with Nikon, and it is mainly AF probs that have driven me crazy. However, I'm sure Canon users have their own grievances.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 14, 2013

lordbeau wrote:

Yes, my background is in photojournalism.

Then do you really need focal lengths shorter than 24mm?  All you'll get with the 17-40 is 17-23 compared to just the 24-105.  Might consider the 70-200 f/4 instead.

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 17, 2013

Yes.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Pentax K-30 +7 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 17, 2013

lordbeau wrote:

Yes, my background is in photojournalism. Just found some old photos of Maggie Thatcher that I stuck on my site as a tribute!

This is the first time I have had a card 'corrupt'. It wouldn't go into the card reader or back into the camera (Nikon D300s) without demanding a format. I did format it, knowing I wasn't bothered about the photos on it. I was then able to recover all the photos (and some going back over a year!) within 30 mins using the Sandisk Rescue program that came with the card (Extreme 'normal'). Oddly, it is now demanding to be formatted again so I suspect the card is no longer trustworthy. When you have two card slots, you are less worried about such things.

Anyway, I have only the one camera body these days which is much more dangerous than just one card slot (at least two of everything IMO including flash and lenses). I have the option of continuing with Nikon (D600 or D800) or going back to Canon. I have fond memories of the T70 and T90 in the 1980s and I got on fine with the 20D during its day. Do I regret moving to Nikon? Yes, overall, but will I regret going back to Canon? I am afraid it is QC issues that put me off staying with Nikon, and it is mainly AF probs that have driven me crazy. However, I'm sure Canon users have their own grievances.

I was wondering why you would want to return to Canon right now, since Nikon actually has really better sensors, when I read about your focusing problems. Are those really more frequent with Nikon cameras ? I thought it was an issue due to PDAF in general and the fact that the D800 has more resolution will certainly make any problem more visible. Only CDAF systems are always spot on with the focus.

Personnally I'd have gone with Nikon if Canon didn't have the edge in sensors and IQ when I got my first DSLR in 2002 (a D60); I then updated to the FF 5D and again it was really a break through in 2004. With time I have accumulated a set of nice lenses and won't consider jumping ship. I passed on the 5D2 because I was rather too busy professionally (not in photography) for the update to make sense then. Thought that I'd get a 5D3, but it took a very long time to appear and when it finally arrived everything looked quite deceiving : no big improvement in IQ over the 5D2, improvements I didn't need (I'm not an action shooter and don't need high burst rate nor predictive AF), but instead it had got quite heavier. No thank you.

The 6D looks like a much better proposal in this respect : I like the fact it has a better IQ than my olding 5D, the new features like GPS and WIFI and the fact it is lighter. Too bad it didn't get the fully articulated LCD of the 60D.

I must say that since 2009 I'm also using mirrorless cameras. The E-M5 is a wonder I love it ! and I since I got it, I haven't used the 5D anymore. So it was a difficult question to decide whether I should sell all the Canon gear, or update the 5D to the 6D. It made no sense to keep an olding body in a cupboard. I finally decided to get the 6D because there aren't TSE lenses for mirrorless cameras and I have a project to shoot architecture for which i will need them. So finally I took the plunge after seeing a good deal and ordered a 6D. Hopefully it will arrive to-morrow  and I won't be deceived. After months of using the E-M5 which I love, I hope that the bulk of the 6D won't put me off too much.

But before jumping from Nikon to Canon I'd look at he Canon offering twice. Nikon sensors have the cutting edge right now.. So make sure that he Canon you want doesn't suffer from the same problems..

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

lordbeau
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 17, 2013

Let us know how you like the 6D.

The problems I have had with Nikon are numerous:  a lens that died within 24 hours, a lens that was badly miscentred, a body that started corrupting files, then D7000 with terrible backfocus which had to go back to Nikon twice because the first time they made it worse. Then I got a D7100 on which the left focus points were off. I didn’t even think to check until I saw another post with the same problem. Of course, with the D800, they had left AF problems, then with the D600 oil and dust. I used to enjoy Canon a lot and should have stayed really. My 20D developed a minor fault with the flash-shoe and I switched. At the time the Nikon D200 was a good camera and you’re right in that Nikon sensors are renowned. Having said that, the skin tones in D7000 and D7100 are not to my liking and both cameras overexpose in bright conditions. I think Canon really had a breakthrough with the original 5D, and the 7D has a good following. I am torn between 5D and 6D but I don’t think my future is with Nikon. It will be costly to switch.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

lordbeau wrote:

Let us know how you like the 6D.

The problems I have had with Nikon are numerous:  a lens that died within 24 hours, a lens that was badly miscentred, a body that started corrupting files, then D7000 with terrible backfocus which had to go back to Nikon twice because the first time they made it worse. Then I got a D7100 on which the left focus points were off. I didn’t even think to check until I saw another post with the same problem. Of course, with the D800, they had left AF problems, then with the D600 oil and dust. I used to enjoy Canon a lot and should have stayed really. My 20D developed a minor fault with the flash-shoe and I switched. At the time the Nikon D200 was a good camera and you’re right in that Nikon sensors are renowned. Having said that, the skin tones in D7000 and D7100 are not to my liking and both cameras overexpose in bright conditions. I think Canon really had a breakthrough with the original 5D, and the 7D has a good following. I am torn between 5D and 6D but I don’t think my future is with Nikon. It will be costly to switch.

Yes ! the first 5D was a real break through and I loved this camera. I refrained my desire to update from the D60 to the 10D and then 20D.. and was so happy to replace it with the 5D, the first affordable FF; I got one immediately.

I have looked at all those three cameras carefully : 5DII which sells at the same price as the 6D right now, 6D and 5DIII. I'd say that the choice between the 5DIII and the 6D depends upon what kind of subjects you are shooting. If you need a more reactive camera (for sport, event photography and perhaps also photojournalism), then the obvious choice is the 5DIII. As for me, I'm rather taking pictures of still subjects (architecture, landscapes, little things of everyday life etc...), so I appreciate the lighter 6D body and the added features (GPS and WIFI). I didn't choose it because it was less expensive, but because it was lighter. If I need a travel camera or a more reactive one, I do still have the E-M5 because I just love it and I don't do birds in flight nor fast action or sport.

I will try to share my impressions when I get it. After one year using the E-M5 almost exclusively, I fear the bulk and weight of a DSLR 

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Ecorone
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Choice of flash does not make sense

The 600 won't be able to trigger the 430 by radio. The only way you can make them work together is by optical, in which case getting a used 580 would make more sense.

So, either get 2 600's, or get a 580+430.

Ecorone's gear list:Ecorone's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 17, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

Yes.  

You are not who I asked, who was the OP.

lordbeau
Like?
Re: Choice of flash does not make sense
In reply to Ecorone, Apr 18, 2013

But they will work together the old-fashioned way...?

Ecorone
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Re: Choice of flash does not make sense
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 18, 2013

lordbeau wrote:

But they will work together the old-fashioned way...?

Yes, a 600ex-rt will still trigger a 430ex the old-fashioned way (optically), but then why pay more for it if you're not going to use the radio transmitter feature?

You can't combine triggering methods, you have to choose one or the other. An ST-E3 transmitter will not be able to trigger a 430ex at all. An ST-E2 will be able to trigger both of them, but only optically so why not just get a 580EX2 for much less money?

That's why I said earlier that you'd be better of either going with 2 600's (which you would then get an ST-E3 later on to trigger them remotely if you wish) or to just get a 580ex to work as an optical master and a 430ex to work as the optical slave (and getting an ST-E2 later to trigger remotely).

Ecorone's gear list:Ecorone's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,377
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 19, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

lordbeau wrote:

I was wondering why you would want to return to Canon right now, since Nikon actually has really better sensors, when I read about your focusing problems. Are those really more frequent with Nikon cameras ? I thought it was an issue due to PDAF in general and the fact that the D800 has more resolution will certainly make any problem more visible. Only CDAF systems are always spot on with the focus.

Personnally I'd have gone with Nikon if Canon didn't have the edge in sensors and IQ when I got my first DSLR in 2002 (a D60); I then updated to the FF 5D and again it was really a break through in 2004. With time I have accumulated a set of nice lenses and won't consider jumping ship. I passed on the 5D2 because I was rather too busy professionally (not in photography) for the update to make sense then. Thought that I'd get a 5D3, but it took a very long time to appear and when it finally arrived everything looked quite deceiving : no big improvement in IQ over the 5D2, improvements I didn't need (I'm not an action shooter and don't need high burst rate nor predictive AF), but instead it had got quite heavier. No thank you.

The 6D looks like a much better proposal in this respect : I like the fact it has a better IQ than my olding 5D, the new features like GPS and WIFI and the fact it is lighter. Too bad it didn't get the fully articulated LCD of the 60D.

I must say that since 2009 I'm also using mirrorless cameras. The E-M5 is a wonder I love it ! and I since I got it, I haven't used the 5D anymore. So it was a difficult question to decide whether I should sell all the Canon gear, or update the 5D to the 6D. It made no sense to keep an olding body in a cupboard. I finally decided to get the 6D because there aren't TSE lenses for mirrorless cameras and I have a project to shoot architecture for which i will need them. So finally I took the plunge after seeing a good deal and ordered a 6D. Hopefully it will arrive to-morrow  and I won't be deceived. After months of using the E-M5 which I love, I hope that the bulk of the 6D won't put me off too much.

But before jumping from Nikon to Canon I'd look at he Canon offering twice. Nikon sensors have the cutting edge right now.. So make sure that he Canon you want doesn't suffer from the same problems..

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Apparently, the focusing problems with the D800/800E are indeed terrible. Here is Ming Thein's "midterm reprot" on his experiences with the D800/800E.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/10/27/nikon-d800e-midterm-report/

Among other problems, he writes that he has found the camera's focusing to be so unreliable, even after extensive servicing by Nikon, that he only uses the D800/E in the studio, on a tripod, with Liveview, and with the mirror locked up. He says that under those limited circumstances the 800 produces spectacular image quality, but that it is no longer a camera he reaches for to take with him, that it misfocuses more often than it focuses correctly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads