About to Buy -- What do you think ?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
kclarke
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
About to Buy -- What do you think ?
Apr 13, 2013

Hello,

For years I've just been using point-and-shoots and my iphones for photos.  I think it's time to upgrade and after a few days and lots of reading, I have these sitting in my amazon cart:

-EOS 60D base
-EF-S 17-55m f/2.8 IS USM + EW-83j Lens Hood
-EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
-Sandisk 64gb sdxc

I'll be doing alot of up close, portrait and group photos.  I have two trips into the forest this year -- there'll be mountains, rivers, mud huts, animals, etc.  There'll be family/friends' weddings, parties, funerals, and things like that.  There's an airshow next month but I may borrow a lens for that.  And then there's carnival - lots of sun, colors, and sweaty half naked people :).

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920
Like?
Re: About to Buy -- What do you think ?
In reply to kclarke, Apr 13, 2013

One thing I would suggest: to start with, get the 55-200 rather than the 50 mm f/1.4.

The 17-55 f/2.8 is a very good lens covering the standard range.  For the purposes you listed I think you would get much more use out of a tele zoom (animals, candids, the airshow...) than you would out of a 50mm f/1.4 which, whilst undeniably a fine lens, duplicates a focal length that you already have.  Unless you are planning to shoot huge numbers of pics using the 50mm lens at f/2 or f/1.4 (for f/2.8 and lower you have the zoom) a 55-200 IS for about the same money will likely get much more use.

Best wishes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,912Gear list
Like?

Sounds like an amazing set up. As much as I know the 17-55 is a great lens for the money my preference would the 70-200 f4 and say a Samyang/Rokinon 14mm 2.8 If you plan on spending more on wider and telephoto then you could leave them for later. Or go the whole hog and get a 10-22.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,583Gear list
Like?

kclarke wrote:

Hello,

For years I've just been using point-and-shoots and my iphones for photos.  I think it's time to upgrade and after a few days and lots of reading, I have these sitting in my amazon cart:

-EOS 60D base
-EF-S 17-55m f/2.8 IS USM + EW-83j Lens Hood
-EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
-Sandisk 64gb sdxc

I'll be doing alot of up close, portrait and group photos.  I have two trips into the forest this year -- there'll be mountains, rivers, mud huts, animals, etc.  There'll be family/friends' weddings, parties, funerals, and things like that.  There's an airshow next month but I may borrow a lens for that.  And then there's carnival - lots of sun, colors, and sweaty half naked people :).

Looks like a fairly good kit to start with and maybe to end with.

I'm not sure what the question is and certainly wouldn't suggest you change anything much. You seem to know what you need. The only think might be that 50 f/1.4. The 17-55 is a fast lens. I'm not sure the prime will get much use. I mean, the prime is faster, but not enough to really be that much different. I'd be thinking about an 85 f/1.8 Canon or f/1.4 Sigma instead for portrait use, but that's up to you.

Good luck and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,076Gear list
Like?

Also consider:

Canon 15-85

Canon 70-200 f4 L

Canon 85 f1.8

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,526Gear list
Like?
In reply to mike703, Apr 13, 2013

mike703 wrote:

One thing I would suggest: to start with, get the 55-200 rather than the 50 mm f/1.4.

Is the 55-200 even available? It's not on Canon's latest inventory list, and some other sites say it's discontinued although DPR has it on their current list. Even if it's available it's not a great performer optically and has a poor build.........

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/193-canon-ef-55-200mm-f45-56-usm-ii-lab-test-report--review?start=1

Doesn't sound like the OP is interested in a telephoto at this time, although I'd rather suggest the 70-300........

.......but with his upcoming travel schedule I'd be leaning more to an ultra wide like the 10-22....

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
kclarke
Like?
In reply to mike703, Apr 13, 2013

This is why I posted since I was so sure about including the 50mm.   I may drop it completely.

mike703
Like?
I meant 55-250
In reply to Hank3152, Apr 13, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

mike703 wrote:

Is the 55-200 even available? It's not on Canon's latest inventory list, and some other sites say it's discontinued although DPR has it on their current list. Even if it's available it's not a great performer optically and has a poor build.........

Well spotted. Sorry I meant the 55-250 IS which is pretty good for the price..

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review

- it is a similar price to the 50mm f/1.4.  Of course there may be better, more expensive, alternatives.

Doesn't sound like the OP is interested in a telephoto at this time..

Animals, weddings, portraits, airshows...?

A 10-22 would be great for other things but if I had a 17-55 f/2.8 as my primary lens a 50mm f/1.4 wouldn't be my next choice.

Best wishes

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,266Gear list
Like?
Sony provides so much more!
In reply to kclarke, Apr 14, 2013

A57 body only
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Sony 55-300

Do more with your camera. The list of extras you get is QUITE big.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony provides so much more!
In reply to 123Mike, Apr 14, 2013

123Mike wrote:

A57 body only
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Sony 55-300

Like?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
123Mike
Like?
In reply to Limburger, Apr 14, 2013

Limburger wrote:

123Mike wrote:

A57 body only
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Sony 55-300

Like?

• 10 fps burst rate, no compromises
  • 12 fps burst rate, cropped
  • Fast continuous AF during 1080 24/30/60p video
  • HDR
  • In camera panoramas stitching
  • Access to AF lenses from 80s (Minolta mostly)
  • Faster AF
  • Live view always available with no compromises
  • Excellent low light abilities
  • In camera stabilization
  • Focus peaking

And much much more.

Here's a quick copy-paste from someone else's post, when comparing to a D5100 I believe:

1080/60p/24p vs 1080/30p/24p
Fast AF in Video vs None
Stereo Mics vs Mono Mic
15 Point AF vs 11 Pt AF
Faster AF vs Slower AF (See charts below - and yes, I've tested both of these cameras and found the results to be the same)
12/10 FPS vs 4fps
Wireles Flash Commander vs None
High Speed Flash Snyc vs None
Peaking Focus vs None
Kelvin WB Adjustment vs None
HDR vs None
Sweep Panorama vs None
Lens Correction for CAs, Distortion, Vignetting vs CAs and Distortion only
IBIS (Every lens Stabilized) vs Lens Based
100%/1.04x EVF vs 95%/.78x OVF

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,526Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Like?

• HDR
  • Faster AF
  • Focus peaking

Yep, that's what I want, ability to mount 35 yr old lenses.........lol.......when Canon since 2005 has  introduced some of the finest ever built lenses. Better then any other manufacturer - to name only a few:

• 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM
  • 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II
  • TS-E 17 f/4.0 L
  • TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II
  • 24-70 f/2.8 L USM II
  • 300 / 400 f/2.8 L IS USM II
  • 500 / 600 f/4.0 L IS USM II
  • 14 f/2.8 L USM
  • 24 f/1.4 L USM II
 Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Apr 14, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Like?

• HDR
  • Faster AF
  • Focus peaking

Yep, that's what I want, ability to mount 35 yr old lenses.........lol.......

So, you're cherry picking to make yourself feel better. You completely ignore, avoid, deny, and pretend that all those oodles of features aren't important, good, interesting, nice, or anything like that. You pretend it's not real.

So what do you have to say. Criticizing that you can use old lenses. It's *OPTIONAL*. You don't *HAVE* to use those old lenses! But you *CAN* - AND there are a number of them that really are very good!

when Canon since 2005 has  introduced some of the finest ever built lenses. Better then any other manufacturer - to name only a few:

• 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM

Beer can 70-210 f4

70-200mm f/2.8 SAL70200G

• TS-E 17 f/4.0 L

Isn't that kind of slow?

• TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II

Easy to beat. Too lazy to find yourself?

• 24-70 f/2.8 L USM II

Pfff, standard staple. Sigma has one. Carl Zeiss has one.

I'm sure there is a G lens for that.

I'm sure this can be found as well. Either a G lens, or Tokina, Sigma, or Tamron might have something like this.

• 14 f/2.8 L USM
  • 24 f/1.4 L USM II

Sorry, I can 't see anything special that can't be met with what's available for the Alpha lineup.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/resultsAdv.asp

Click the search button without filling anything in.

But you know what? There is no amount of information that anyone could provide that is going to make you acknowledge that the Sony is a formidable camera choice. Just like religion, you will deny, avoid, and pretend it's not real. No amount of evidence will suffice. Beliefs trumps all. Am I right?

Guidenet
Like?

123Mike wrote:

Hank3152 wrote:

123Mike wrote:

Limburger wrote:

Like?

• HDR
  • Faster AF
  • Focus peaking

Yep, that's what I want, ability to mount 35 yr old lenses.........lol.......

So, you're cherry picking to make yourself feel better. You completely ignore, avoid, deny, and pretend that all those oodles of features aren't important, good, interesting, nice, or anything like that. You pretend it's not real.

So what do you have to say. Criticizing that you can use old lenses. It's *OPTIONAL*. You don't *HAVE* to use those old lenses! But you *CAN* - AND there are a number of them that really are very good!

when Canon since 2005 has  introduced some of the finest ever built lenses. Better then any other manufacturer - to name only a few:

• 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM

Beer can 70-210 f4

70-200mm f/2.8 SAL70200G

• TS-E 17 f/4.0 L

Isn't that kind of slow?

• TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II

Easy to beat. Too lazy to find yourself?

• 24-70 f/2.8 L USM II

Pfff, standard staple. Sigma has one. Carl Zeiss has one.

I'm sure there is a G lens for that.

I'm sure this can be found as well. Either a G lens, or Tokina, Sigma, or Tamron might have something like this.

• 14 f/2.8 L USM
  • 24 f/1.4 L USM II

Sorry, I can 't see anything special that can't be met with what's available for the Alpha lineup.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/resultsAdv.asp

Click the search button without filling anything in.

But you know what? There is no amount of information that anyone could provide that is going to make you acknowledge that the Sony is a formidable camera choice. Just like religion, you will deny, avoid, and pretend it's not real. No amount of evidence will suffice. Beliefs trumps all. Am I right?

Mike, it is you who come across as the religious fanboi, not Hank. It's you that puts up a lot of newbie funzie features most of us could care less about. I'd pay, in fact do pay extra so my cameras don't have most of the garbage. My cameras don't even have an Auto mode. The don't have artie filters. The don't even have scene modes. I don't want and will pay not to have some kind of sweap panorama mode where I get a fairly poor long skinny image. I pay a lot and fortunately don't have to put up with a lot of goofie features I don't use or want getting in the way.

Your critique of Hank's lenses is silly at best. It shows you might not know a whole lot. You might do better to continue playing with your A57 and collection of battery photographs.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 14, 2013

Mike, it is you who come across as the religious fanboi, not Hank.

You're wrong, because I've listed a big fat list of things that the Sonys do that the other do not do. Yes, I'm a fan of Sonys, but it's not purely opinion or like based. The list of advantages is very real. Go a few messages back up, and go through that list.

It's you that puts up a lot of newbie funzie features most of us could care less about.

Yes yes I've seen it before. Nothing left to say. So the "I don't care about features" card. Rrriigghhtt....

I'd pay, in fact do pay extra so my cameras don't have most of the garbage. My cameras don't even have an Auto mode. The don't have artie filters. The don't even have scene modes.

I have both. With, and without. I have choice. You do not.

I don't want and will pay not to have some kind of sweap panorama mode where I get a fairly poor long skinny image.

You can do the panorama side ways. Then it's it's not so skinny. Oops. You lost again.

I pay a lot and fortunately don't have to put up with a lot of goofie features I don't use or want getting in the way.

10 fps, 12 fps, goofy eh? Are you for real?

Your critique of Hank's lenses is silly at best.

Jealous much?

It shows you might not know a whole lot.

Arrogance. Entitlement. I've seen it before. I'm not intimidated. You don't know what I do or don't know.

You might do better to continue playing with your A57 and collection of battery photographs.

Yes, and I can make it do things that you can't with your camera.

Again. Jealous much?

headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?

Mike, I'm a long time Minolta/Sony user & Guidenet & I certainly have different views (although I would like to think that we respect each others opinions whilst we may not agree with them) but I have to side with him in at least some of these - we currently have no easy access to things like a 17mm or 24mm Tilt Shift (hopefully the coming Samyang will cure that) or a 400/2.8 (although there is a rumour that Sony have 1 in development) & the fact that you don't know that doesn't help your argument.

Of course we do have our own advantages in that our wides are stabilised by SSS whereas few Canon or Nikon wides with wide apertures are & yes, Sony bodies tend to offer more features at the same price point.

Plus, I strongly suspect that the exotics mentioned probably aren't of much interest to the OP in the first place.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,536Gear list
Like?
troll much?

filling yet another thread with nonsense I see.

The OP asked about their purchase not for permission to help you validate yours.

So this is nothing but a off-topic troll by you.

to the OP:

The 60d is an excellent camera.  It has nice ergonomics, a nice bright view finder, dual controls for easier and faster access to the settings.  The Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS is a good lens.  Optically nice, f2.8 and stabilized.  I disagree with the earlier post saying to get a long telephoto instead of the fast prime.  Which one to get first depends on your shooting style and subject matter.

One thing worth noting is that even though the body is weather sealed none of the lenses you selected are sealed.  And the camera is not sealed without a sealed lens.  The only Sealed Canon lens in the normal/standard range is the 17-40 f/4 L which is only sealed if you attach a filter to it.  If sealing was a main concern you might want to expand your consideration to other brands which have more/better sealed options in the wide to normal range.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +12 more
kclarke
Like?
Re: troll much?
In reply to Bjorn_L, Apr 14, 2013

Bjorn_L wrote:

filling yet another thread with nonsense I see.

The OP asked about their purchase not for permission to help you validate yours.

So this is nothing but a off-topic troll by you.

to the OP:

The 60d is an excellent camera.  It has nice ergonomics, a nice bright view finder, dual controls for easier and faster access to the settings.  The Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS is a good lens.  Optically nice, f2.8 and stabilized.  I disagree with the earlier post saying to get a long telephoto instead of the fast prime.  Which one to get first depends on your shooting style and subject matter.

One thing worth noting is that even though the body is weather sealed none of the lenses you selected are sealed.  And the camera is not sealed without a sealed lens.  The only Sealed Canon lens in the normal/standard range is the 17-40 f/4 L which is only sealed if you attach a filter to it.  If sealing was a main concern you might want to expand your consideration to other brands which have more/better sealed options in the wide to normal range.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Thanks Bjorn for getting this thread on track.  I'll be able to borrow a telephoto whenever the need arises, and I don't think it will be often ..but we'll see.

I decided to leave the 500mm out of the purchase.  As I use the camera, I'll get a better feel for what other lenses I'll need.

Guidenet
Like?
In reply to headfirst, Apr 14, 2013

Hey pal. Yes you're right. I do respect your choice. What Mike fails to understand is that most of us do not want or like all the features camera companies like Sony stick on these entry level cameras. And, it's not just Sony, but to argue brands based on these fairly un-used things borders on ridiculous. They stick all this stuff on point and shoots for Heaven's sake. These type things appeal to Instagram users and those who post to Facebook and Twitter.

Any company can add most of that stuff. Like I said, even point and shoots. They have green auto modes as well and scene modes. Most users never learn exposure and photography in general. I also think most of these type play things get used once or twice and are forgotten. Real Panorama photographers use panorama gear. Real HDR photographers shoot RAW and use good HDR software. Using these in-camera substitues produce poor imitations at best, I think. Moreover, the users often have little clue of what they did. I look at galleries and see these attempts.

Mike is a little strange if he thinks jealousy is here. I could buy several a57 cameras for the price of my last lens. I need good gear for what I do, not something to play with. Many of us also do. Most feature check lists are for people who aren't really photographers, in my opinion. They are for camera articles to discuss, or for non-photographers to have bragging rights on useless matters.

Oh well, sometimes the fanbois come out of the woodworks with such nonsense. It doesn't change today from being a beautiful day to go out and create great images. Mike can add to his AA battery collection maybe.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

mike703
Like?
Re: troll much?
In reply to kclarke, Apr 14, 2013

kclarke wrote:

As I use the camera, I'll get a better feel for what other lenses I'll need.

Exactly - you'll find out for yourself quickly enough what you want next, and the 17-55 f/2.8 is an excellent starting point

Good luck.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads