http://www.farines-photo.com/wp/

What dou you think?

P.

meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,692Gear list
Like?
Re: Further M240 vs M9 comparison, real life, high res
In reply to Almafa, Apr 13, 2013

amazing IQ, looks to be a great combination you have sorted.

pc

-- hide signature --

`its good to step outside your comfort zone occasionally, but is nicer to step back into it` PC.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Group4
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
In reply to Almafa, Apr 16, 2013

Thanks for sharing the comparison. I played a bit with both night files provided. Both would need post processing but I was happy that I could find a decent result with the M9.

The image above here is M9 and 21 Elmarit handheld at 1/6th at f4 iso 640 and from the same shoot I took another at 1250 preferring this one for the composition. I am very happy with my M9 and enjoy pushing it to it's limit.

I also love the simplicity of M9 and how it really feels like an extension of the earlier M cameras I have worked wiith. I understand people prefer this new 240 but for me the size/weight increase and extra baggage (video/mic and evf) would get in the way.

David

Almafa
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Group4, Apr 17, 2013

Thank you, David. I don't have a digital Leica, but I am lamenting to get one.

Just taking a look at these images on a 24" pro screen the M9 files seem to have better micro contrast and/or color separation. M240 has bigger dynamic range indeed, but not by a huge margin. If pixel peeping, the noise (and ISO) difference is obvious, but with some compromise it can be managed with noise reduction software.

In other set of images M240 would surely show its virtue, but in this case it is not a clear winner. Just a personal opinion, with very little experience in Leica world.

Anyway, this is a great age for digital camera progress, so many important developments are coming out.

Regards,

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads