If I hate D7100, will I hate D600?

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
Re: The D4 is NOT leaps ahead of the D600
In reply to sandy b, Apr 14, 2013

sandy b wrote:

It is very marginally better. The D600 focus is as good as the D700, IQ is better than the D800 except for resolution. I have shot with all the cameras you mentioned, and for a general camera, the D600 can't be topped. Second highest MP dslr made, second highest high ISO IQ to the D3s, strong build, great sealing, more than adequate buffer, superb video. Incredible price.

There is a reason that the D600 got one of the highest DPR scores ever for a DSLR and  universally very high reviews.

Thank you. I have only 1-2 assignments per month as a photographer. So if my D300s not suitable I lease camera from somebody and test it myself by the way. So my conclusions never based on 3rd party review but my experience. I'm a technician at work and do some analitics and research in equipment and systems. This is why I got field experience with many cameras and lenses.

It is very hard to test a new camera, because of reading 3rd party opinions as DXOmark or DP reviews sets high mark at expectations, and in harsh conditions they seldom make wonder.

So were D800 and D600. After D4 in hand they sucks, at least in hard light situation. May be I determined for miracle IQ, and sets expectations too high for D600 and too low for D7100.

Another reason is motivation to use cameara. I've found that with more and bulky equipment I often don't use it at all when I have choice. If you have pump rifle, colt 0,45  and small beretta what you put in your pocket if you don't determined to shot somebody? As by the way weapon I prefer light and small and not so bulky TT while it has low accuracy and lesser power. But it is cheap and rounds are small and cheap too. It is gunner analogy. I've make less shots with bulky camera and tend not to take it with me just in case. So I lost many perfect shots because of bulky equipment. If I drag out of backpack D800 with grip and 80-200/2.8 the crowd begins posing and I take too much attention for sneaky shot. One time I ever seriously considered V1 or m43.

So wait for my review and conclusion about D7100 after some real works.

I'm not predetermined (at least I try to be). D7100 vs D600 directly compared have 3 great  advantages (as for me):

- OK button focus point zoom;

- No oil spots misfortune;

- AF tracking and 1,3 crop AF coverage.

- smaller walkaround DX zoom.

Let's wait 1-2 months of usage and make conclusions after. In the end happiness with equipment not directly depends on price, features and class of it. Good luck with photo!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iJoost
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
Re: If I hate D7100, will I hate D600?
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 14, 2013

Well, You'll be bringing yourself to that D600.

I'd guess, it's probably a better idea to try and improve your skills while still using the D7100. Your chances of liking the D600 will be much better once you have learned enough to appreciate what the D7100 offers.

krikman
Like?
In reply to iJoost, Apr 14, 2013

iJoost wrote:

Well, You'll be bringing yourself to that D600.

I'd guess, it's probably a better idea to try and improve your skills while still using the D7100. Your chances of liking the D600 will be much better once you have learned enough to appreciate what the D7100 offers.

Sadly I never forgive absent of focus zoom on OK button ability of D600

As said before It is very hard to downgrade even if IQ is better.

krikman
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 14, 2013

Once I found myself that only parameter that means is wishness and pleasure of use camera.

So for my spring upgrade budget D7100+AF-S 28/1,8 weight more than D600.

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to krikman, Apr 14, 2013

krikman wrote:

D7100 is much more camera than D600. D600 feels as D90 exactly. D7100 interface and focus miles better. When compare side-by-side I prefer D7100.

What? The D600 feels like a D90? The D7100 and D600 "interface" are almost the same. I'd take the D600 (and I did) anyway.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, Apr 14, 2013

paulski66 wrote:

Bob from Plymouth wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way but with a negative attitude you'll be looking for flaws in any camera you own. Learn how to use it, they all have some limitations. Try looking at what you DO like about your camera and get out there and do some photography.

+1

+2

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,610
Like?
In reply to yray, Apr 14, 2013

yray wrote:

Bob from Plymouth wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way but with a negative attitude you'll be looking for flaws in any camera you own. Learn how to use it, they all have some limitations. Try looking at what you DO like about your camera and get out there and do some photography.

Speaking for myself only, I feel that if the thing doesn't feel right in your hand it is hard to get over it. Once you're spoiled using D300/700 class cameras, it is hard to step down. I agree that all cameras have limitations and quirks, and you need to find the sweet spot to get the most out of any of them, but when something doesn't feel right it is hard to get over it based on rational reasoning alone. Not writing this in reference to D7100 which I've never touched or seen in real life, but rather thinking of my D7000.

+1 D300 / D700 - Nikon got it right.

Big45acp
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 15, 2013

lordbeau wrote:

(D300s owner). Disliked D7100 for various reason, not just QC - slow buffer, high ISO quite choppy, and overexposure.

Just wondering if the D600 is as annoying. Better buffer and better ISO..... perhaps I'll like it?

I'm curious as to what your needs actually are? I traded the D600 for the D7100 (yes that is written correctly). I have not experienced the poor performance you have with the D7100. What is it you shoot? Do you shoot RAW or JPEG? What is it you are trying to improve upon over the D300s? If it is FPS, neither the D600 or D7100 will fit your needs, as they are both* slower.

*(D7100 can match the FPS, D600 is 1.5 FPS slower than the D300s)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads