Upgrading from D40x: d5200 vs d7100

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
nicolasee
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Upgrading from D40x: d5200 vs d7100
Apr 13, 2013

Hi,

I have owned and loved a nikon d40x for the past 5 and a half years and i'm thinking of upgrading. I currently own two nikon kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm VR), a nikon 35mm 1.8 and a sigma zoom lens 18-250mm 3.5-6.3. The Sigma lens is a recent addition and I now tend to carry it around with the 35mm lens when I travel.

I enjoy travel photography, landscapes, building/architecture shots. Not too good with portraits and people shots in general

I am hesitating between a d5200 and the d7100. I know that coming from the d40x, both bodies will be a real upgrade.

I like the articulated LCD of of the d5200 especially for video (i take videos at dance competitions with a canon camcorder these days, but would not mind carrying only one device!). Since I enjoy travel photography, the d5200 has an edge on weight, and it is also less expensive

But I'm tempted by the advanced features of the d7200, in particular dedicated buttons for key functions rather than having to go through menus (currently what I'm doing with the d40x).

Any recommendation?

Thanks,
Nicolas.

nicolasee's gear list:nicolasee's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,081Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading from D40x: d5200 vs d7100
In reply to nicolasee, Apr 13, 2013

Have you tried them in person?  You can't really tell if you like one or the other if you don't.

If you are used to the D40x, the D5200 will feel a bit bigger and heftier, because it is.  The D7100 will be a giant by contrast, although it is physically not greatly larger.

All modern Nikon bodies have an "info" or "i" button that allows to to switch your essential controls quickly; it effective pulls up the most important buttons from the menu system to the LCD, from which you can use the joydisk to efficiently set them.  It's actually quite quick.

You may fall in love with the heft and feel and larger viewfinder of the D7100. If so, more power to you.  Either camera will produce excellent images - if you've been satisfied with the D40x' feature set, you may think the D7100 overkill.  For many it is.

I personally prefer the midsized body Nikons and the two control wheels...but I could live without all that control. What I do like about the D7100 that you don't get on the D5200 is a much less plasticky feel and quieter shutter.  It is a more refined photographic tool and acts like it.

For your purposes, however, you might be best to consider the D5200 (or D5100, frankly) as your first choice and the D7100 if it calls to you when you have it in hand at the camera shop.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JoeNap2
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
Ditto... good analysis
In reply to mosswings, Apr 13, 2013

I love my D7000 and didn't like the more plasticy feel of the D5000 when I was shopping. I, too, like the two control wheels but if you don't shoot in manual mode that's not much of an advantage. I like being able to set up quick user menus plus the two user-defined picture controls on the shooting mode dial. Not sure if that's available on D5K model. The extra weight of the D7K is a bit of a chore to carry around at times though and the price difference could go a long way toward an extra lens or flash. Good shooting. Joe

JoeNap2's gear list:JoeNap2's gear list
Samsung L74 Wide Olympus E-500 Nikon D7000
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,923Gear list
Like?

mosswings wrote:

Have you tried them in person?  You can't really tell if you like one or the other if you don't.

If you are used to the D40x, the D5200 will feel a bit bigger and heftier, because it is.  The D7100 will be a giant by contrast, although it is physically not greatly larger.

All modern Nikon bodies have an "info" or "i" button that allows to to switch your essential controls quickly; it effective pulls up the most important buttons from the menu system to the LCD, from which you can use the joydisk to efficiently set them.  It's actually quite quick.

You may fall in love with the heft and feel and larger viewfinder of the D7100. If so, more power to you.  Either camera will produce excellent images - if you've been satisfied with the D40x' feature set, you may think the D7100 overkill.  For many it is.

I personally prefer the midsized body Nikons and the two control wheels...but I could live without all that control. What I do like about the D7100 that you don't get on the D5200 is a much less plasticky feel and quieter shutter.  It is a more refined photographic tool and acts like it.

For your purposes, however, you might be best to consider the D5200 (or D5100, frankly) as your first choice and the D7100 if it calls to you when you have it in hand at the camera shop.

+1.

If you have the money go D7100 ALL THE WAY

D5200 is good too "if" you HAVE to have the articulating LCD for video.  If you can live without it you can get the also 24MP D3200 for around $400 bucks body only, which i think is a real bargain.  IQ i doubt you will see any difference between the two.

There are lots of options out there, it just depends how deep your pockets are.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
nicolasee
Like?

Thanks for the insight. Will definitely be trying them in the shop before I buy. To get a feel for the handling and the weight. I'm used to carrying my lightweight d40x around so I want to get a feel for both larger bodies. Also will want to try the menu navigation on the D5200. If I still like the D5200, there would be some money left for faster glass

Nikon D40X Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM
dimtheod
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

nicolasee wrote:

Hi,

I have owned and loved a nikon d40x for the past 5 and a half years and i'm thinking of upgrading. I currently own two nikon kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm VR), a nikon 35mm 1.8 and a sigma zoom lens 18-250mm 3.5-6.3. The Sigma lens is a recent addition and I now tend to carry it around with the 35mm lens when I travel.

I enjoy travel photography, landscapes, building/architecture shots. Not too good with portraits and people shots in general

I am hesitating between a d5200 and the d7100. I know that coming from the d40x, both bodies will be a real upgrade.

I like the articulated LCD of of the d5200 especially for video (i take videos at dance competitions with a canon camcorder these days, but would not mind carrying only one device!). Since I enjoy travel photography, the d5200 has an edge on weight, and it is also less expensive

But I'm tempted by the advanced features of the d7200, in particular dedicated buttons for key functions rather than having to go through menus (currently what I'm doing with the d40x).

Any recommendation?

Thanks,
Nicolas.

Please let us know what you decide to buy at the end and your impressions of your new camera comparing to nikon d40x.

I am in the same boat using a d40x for the last five years.The things that i would like to have in my new camera are 1)better/quicker/more reliable autofocus 2)better viewfinder 3) better grip(for my hands) 4)articulated screen(not for video but for easier framing in certain circumstances) 5)better high iso performance(actually cleaner images at iso 100-800)

I am torn between nikon d7100/d7000,d5200 and sony a77 for the last months.Unfortunately i haven't had the chance to hold sony in my hands because it is not so easy to find in the place where i live.I have held a sony a65 in a camera store and the evf looked very bright and big even compared to nikon d7000's optical viewfinder which is bigger than the one of nikon d5200 but not quite brighter.

I have 16-85(not the best copy),35 1.8,55-200 vr,sigma 10-20 and sb600 so changing to sony is not the best thing to do..

Any thoughts and recommendations especially from someone who has used both nikon and sony        would be appreciated.

I apologize for my bad english and for interfering in this topic.

Dimitris

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,833Gear list
Like?

I`d either go for the D40 sized D3200 or the whole hog to the 7100 . both have the same essential image quality but the Features of the D3200 are closer to your existing D40X (if that`s enough for you)  . the D5200 like all the earlier D5000 series IMO falls, between two stools - it misses the features and body motor of the 7000 series and costs a lot more than the 3000 series . that body motor comes in very very handy when hunting down bargain glass , especially primes and stuff like the 1st and best version of the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 ..

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,969
Like?

The size and weight difference is significant.

The D7100 is, IMO, the more serious tool.  If you're going to go D7100, with the added size and weight, you might as well upgrade to some better glass, which will typically mean a little bigger and heavier on the glass too.

If you want to stick with a lighter kit, the D5200+your current lenses will be a sweet lightweight kit.

NNS
NNS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,602
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Apr 13, 2013

Nicholas,

You have already received some excellent advice here.   I've used a variety of Nikon DSLR's including the D5100 and now the D7100 as well as others.

My photography is mainly as a hobby these days however I have had paying jobs in the past on the professional level.

If you choose to go the D7100 route, be prepared to learn a alot of features.  This latest offerning from Nikon can and will do many things and it will take you far in advancing your photography in both knowledge and skill level.   It's a really capable and well thought out camera.

However the D5200 is an extremely capable camera, not as feature rich as the D7100 however but it's "fun" to use and sometimes a smaller, easier to use camera is just cool to have and you'll hardly notice any difference in picture quality.   The articulating screen is espcecially nice for video too.

You can't go wrong either way, it honestly depends on how you want to use the camera.

Go try one at a camera store and see which one fits you best.

Jezzualdo
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

I bought a new D5100 last year instead of the D7000. If I recall right, I paid £400, the D7000 would have been more than double. That seemed ridiculous for the same sensor. I also like a lightweight camera (the D5100 + 35mm 1.8 handles like a superzoom bridge), and thought the articulated screen was a good idea. I didn't value superior viewfinder, autofocus on older lenses, and better access to controls enough to spring for the D7000, and the extra weight.
The D5100+35mm is a spectacular daylight IQ capture device. I find it hard to believe you can get better pictures for less money... I wonder how D800 crops with a zoom lens compare - especially if they're handheld and you use a monopod on the set up that may be a quarter of the cost.
But...
I don't care for the articulated screen, I prefer the simple tilt that gives you an in-line waist level finder, rather than one offset to the side. (I don't do video).
And the controls are annoying, especially when you realise Nikon have deliberately not given functionality to customise various buttons that could make it better - just to "encourage" you to spend twice the money... if your photography involves many changes, you might prefer the D7xxx...
You also have to have a mindset that doesn't mind paying twice as much to capture almost exactly the same images (the d5100 and d7000 used the same sensors) slightly more conveniently. As a Landscape snapper who takes a while over some pictures the convenience isn't a must have...
So, I'm delighted with the D5100 IQ. But if I was making the choice today, I actually might go for the D7000, or now D7100... if on handling it I didn't mind the weight. And the D5100 viewfinder isn't great.

It's a tricky one. Good luck!

Jezzualdo's gear list:Jezzualdo's gear list
Nikon D5100
jraa
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?

Hi Nicolasee,  I too enjoy shooting with a D40x & D60 with their 10mp CCD sensor ( I like the color these sensors produce).  The new D7100 is getting some very good reviews and I may purchased one later.  Just as a suggestion, I founded new life with these 10 mp cameras after I purchased a refurbished Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED lens (I used a Nikon 18-200 lens on the D60).  That 17-55 lens first shoot was a "Wow moment" several years ago.  See my gallery with hand helded photos in low light situation ( w/ flash and PP ).  What ever you decide to purchased, " Happy shooting"..

jraa's gear list:jraa's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E900 Zoom Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro
nicolasee
Like?
In reply to nicolasee, Aug 11, 2013

Hi,

Just revisiting this from a few months back since I'd put my purchasing decision on hold.
After handling the d5200 and d7000/d7100, I've made up my mind to upgrade to the larger sized d7000/d7100.
I really enjoy the way they feel in the hand and I'm sure I will get used to carrying them around when compared to the d40x
Now to the decision d7000 versus d7100.
In a nutshell, the choice is either:
- d7100 body only and keep all my current lenses: two nikon kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm VR), a nikon 35mm 1.8 and a sigma zoom lens 18-250mm 3.5-6.3.
- d7000 body with a new lens. Would the 18-105mm kit lens be any better than my current lenses? Would I be better investing in a lens with constant large aperture (e.g. Sigma 24-70mm f2.8) for low light photography (thinking indoor photography at dancing competitions)?
Looking at the d7000 versus d7100 specs, the d7000 still looks very capable and would allow me to get a new lens.
Comments?

Thanks,
Nicolas.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads