Fuji X100s: Sunset at Laguna Beach, CA

Started Apr 13, 2013 | Discussions
cali4nia love
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
Fuji X100s: Sunset at Laguna Beach, CA
Apr 13, 2013

Shot taken with Fuji X100s, using lightroom for PP.  Just testing the camera out, I received a week ago.  Any positive and negative feedbacks are welcome.

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trollshavethebestcandy
Regular MemberPosts: 460
Like?
Re: Fuji X100s: Sunset at Laguna Beach, CA
In reply to cali4nia love, Apr 13, 2013

Ahhhhhh... Laguna Beach. I miss those times.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 800
Like?
In reply to Trollshavethebestcandy, Apr 13, 2013

Main Beach from Las Brisas Restaurant, Laguna Beach in October

Main Beach from Las Brisas may be the most photographed and painted scene in the US.

A Rose at Las Brisas, Laguna Beach

All with the XPro 1 and 60 mm.

I envy you.  Wish I was there, particularly in springtime.

-- hide signature --

X100; WCL-100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; 18-55 Zoom, Samyang 8 mm

scottv69
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?

Very nice image, but my only comment is that the horizon is not level. Try rotating the image to make it level amd see what it looks like.

scottv69's gear list:scottv69's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
cali4nia love
Like?
In reply to scottv69, Apr 13, 2013

Very nice image, but my only comment is that the horizon is not level. Try rotating the image to make it level amd see what it looks like.

Thank you for the honest feedback. What about the exposure? Do you think the exposure is fine or is it a little underexposed (its a sunset so proper exposure was a challenge)?

Michael Perham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?

cali4nia love wrote:

Thank you for the honest feedback. What about the exposure? Do you think the exposure is fine or is it a little underexposed (its a sunset so proper exposure was a challenge)?

I think it is slightly overexposed.  Is this straight from the camera JPEG or did you do any post on it?

Michael Perham's gear list:Michael Perham's gear list
Fujifilm XQ1 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Oger
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

Yeah I remember that beach

Good picture too.

Not so nice: The edge sharpness of the shot! clearly visible even without zooming in. Look at the waves being blurry. At 5.6!!!

Absolutely not tolerable for a camera at this price. Maybe (hopefully) just this one unit.

Maybe you should try to have it replaced.

Anyone else see this?

oger

cali4nia love
Like?
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 13, 2013

cali4nia love wrote:

I think it is slightly overexposed.  Is this straight from the camera JPEG or did you do any post on it?

I did slight PP on lightroom 4.4. Shot at RAW.

Mark Weston
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Great to see Laguna Beach Photographs

Here is one from my old X100. I just got my X100S and I will be adding to the hundreds of Laguna Beach photographs I already have posted at the link below.

X100 - Laguna Beach

http://www.markwweston.com

Mark Weston's gear list:Mark Weston's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony RX1 Canon PowerShot G1 X II
scottv69
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Perham, Apr 14, 2013

Michael Perham wrote:

cali4nia love wrote:

Agree, slightly overexposed, but it is had to comment on exposure as depending on the monitor the image is being viewed on it can look different depending on the settings of that monitor.

scottv69's gear list:scottv69's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Mark Carr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137
Like?
In reply to Oger, Apr 14, 2013

Oger wrote:

Good picture too.

Not so nice: The edge sharpness of the shot! clearly visible even without zooming in. Look at the waves being blurry. At 5.6!!!

Absolutely not tolerable for a camera at this price. Maybe (hopefully) just this one unit.

Anyone else see this?

oger

Hi,

I think the waves appear blurry because the shutter speed was only 1/200, not fast enough to stop the waves. Perhaps if it were 1/500 or faster the entire scene would have been sharp.

Kind regards,
Mark

Funduro
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?

Oger wrote:

Good picture too.

Anyone else see this?

oger

Slow down. Look at the angle of the sensor to the wave. Take into account that the wave is moving at different speeds, depending on what phase it's at. Plus is was  hand held at 1/200 , focused on the subject not the wave, DOF can't cover the whole scene.

-- hide signature --

FYI avatar image is by Steve McCurry

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 +11 more
Oger
Like?
In reply to Funduro, Apr 14, 2013

Slow down. Look at the angle of the sensor to the wave. Take into account that the wave is moving at different speeds, depending on what phase it's at. Plus is was  hand held at 1/200 , focused on the subject not the wave, DOF can't cover the whole scene.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

I understand what you mean, but if you look at the center of the picture, the waves are very sharp. DOF would matter for the subject but not the different distances of the waves across the picture. 1/200th shouldve been enough to get rid of motion blur and the only way I could explain softness at edges only would be if the camera was accidentally twisted somehow.

We would have to look at a panoramashot from this camera to be sure.

I took a look at pictures from my X100 and they are gorgeously sharp all the way across the scene on panoramas.

Funduro
Contributing MemberPosts: 979Gear list
Like?

I should have said the camera sensor and the wave line were not parallel. So DOF would explain the out of focus you mentioned. Some people aim for this thing called "hyper focus" to get maximum DOF.  I too have a X100, Fuji put an awesome lens into the X100/S.

I can't give all the reason, but film gave consisteant results Vs. Sensor. In other words film cameras have shutter speed, aperture, iso, bracketing dials and that's it, digital cameras have huge menus that deal with all the differences sensor introduced.

I have work in diagnostic imaging over two decades plus hobby film, slides and actual BW darkroom. Digital imaging "x-day" have introduced a bunch of new issues that can cause bad images. Different  HW and SW will give differnt issues and results. Fuji's sensors & SW In the X100 and X100S prove my point. Not saying this image results are because of it, this is more like a DOF limitation plus the subject(wave)motion. I study other photographers and my own images(pictures you hold) and try to gain knowlege from them. I'm a very technically oriented person, not trying to be a teacher or control freak by this followup reply.

-- hide signature --

Funduro's gear list:Funduro's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D800 +11 more
Oger
Like?
In reply to Funduro, Apr 14, 2013

Funduro wrote:

I should have said the camera sensor and the wave line were not parallel. So DOF would explain the out of focus you mentioned. Some people aim for this thing called "hyper focus" to get maximum DOF.  I too have a X100, Fuji put an awesome lens into the X100/S.

I can't give all the reason, but film gave consisteant results Vs. Sensor. In other words film cameras have shutter speed, aperture, iso, bracketing dials and that's it, digital cameras have huge menus that deal with all the differences sensor introduced.

I have work in diagnostic imaging over two decades plus hobby film, slides and actual BW darkroom. Digital imaging "x-day" have introduced a bunch of new issues that can cause bad images. Different  HW and SW will give differnt issues and results. Fuji's sensors & SW In the X100 and X100S prove my point. Not saying this image results are because of it, this is more like a DOF limitation plus the subject(wave)motion. I study other photographers and my own images(pictures you hold) and try to gain knowlege from them. I'm a very technically oriented person, not trying to be a teacher or control freak by this followup reply.

-- hide signature --

What you are saying makes sense to me.

I also noticed that the focal plane was on the person and not the waves and it looks very sharp all across (on the sand), so I guess it´s good focussing.

Thanks for your input!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads