Flex TT5 and Einstein 640

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
Christopher D Mann
Regular MemberPosts: 345Gear list
Like?
Flex TT5 and Einstein 640
Apr 12, 2013

I am in need of your help here. I am using the flex TT5 with the power MC2 installed in the top of my Einstein 640 and I have spoken with the people at LPA who make these units and even with their help I can't get the pair to  on consistent basis. The flash will fire but when I try power tracking and will work and then fail as I am using center on aperture and ISO with first shot. I will make aperture, iso adjustments as needed and then sit will quit working period. The power level will not adjust at all on strobe. I am beginning  to think these things are a bigger pain in the ass then what they are worth. I don't think I have overlooked anything but someone as some input of something I could have missed that would be helpful. Thanks

Christopher D Mann's gear list:Christopher D Mann's gear list
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nik Silver Efex Pro
Onetrack97
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: Flex TT5 and Einstein 640
In reply to Christopher D Mann, Apr 27, 2013

Christopher D Mann wrote:

I am in need of your help here. I am using the flex TT5 with the power MC2 installed in the top of my Einstein 640 and I have spoken with the people at LPA who make these units and even with their help I can't get the pair to  on consistent basis. The flash will fire but when I try power tracking and will work and then fail as I am using center on aperture and ISO with first shot. I will make aperture, iso adjustments as needed and then sit will quit working period. The power level will not adjust at all on strobe. I am beginning  to think these things are a bigger pain in the ass then what they are worth. I don't think I have overlooked anything but someone as some input of something I could have missed that would be helpful. Thanks

I switched to using TT5's and multiple speedlights from Buff lights for most outdoor work.

The goal was to have a lighter weight setup.  I'm using the Sekonic L-478DR for control.

I've only used an Einstein in the setup once and it worked perfectly.

All is definitely not perfect with the TT5's nor the Sekonic.  I can actually get the desired light levels faster with the Buff CyberCommander + Sekonic than with the TT5's.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to Onetrack97, Apr 27, 2013

Onetrack97 wrote:

I switched to using TT5's and multiple speedlights from Buff lights for most outdoor work.

The goal was to have a lighter weight setup.  I'm using the Sekonic L-478DR for control.

All is definitely not perfect with the TT5's nor the Sekonic.  I can actually get the desired light levels faster with the Buff CyberCommander + Sekonic than with the TT5's.

-- hide signature --

Scott

You have updated the FlexTT5's firmware?

Somewhat off topic.

I too use the TT5s, MiniTT1 and Speedlights for most of my outside lighting (Sekonic L-478DR) and get it setup very fast.  Using the meter or straight TTL not having any problems with the setup.  Also use their AC3 on the FlexTT5.

I am looking at purchasing 3 used Allen Bee's B1600's for a very good price with the thought about using the FlexTT5s and AC9s to control it for my outside shoots.  Looking at Paul Buff's inverter/battery to power the B1600.

But also considering purchasing one Einstein 640 with the PowerMC2 and inverter, so I am curious if others have problems with the OP's setup too.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
kenyee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,509Gear list
Like?
shutter speed?
In reply to Christopher D Mann, Apr 29, 2013

The flash will fire but when I try power tracking and will work and then fail as I am using center on aperture and ISO with first shot. I will make aperture, iso adjustments as needed and then sit will quit working period.

What shutter speed are you using?  I.e., are you using hypersync?

The Einstein doesn't work that well w/ hypersync because of the short flash durations....

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
pspentax
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: shutter speed?
In reply to kenyee, Apr 29, 2013

kenyee wrote:

The flash will fire but when I try power tracking and will work and then fail as I am using center on aperture and ISO with first shot. I will make aperture, iso adjustments as needed and then sit will quit working period.

What shutter speed are you using?  I.e., are you using hypersync?

The Einstein doesn't work that well w/ hypersync because of the short flash durations....

You only can do hypersync at maximum power and after around 1/800 you get a litlle band.

And do a firmware update to all MC2/TT1/TT5/MC2/Einstein... mine work flawless.

-- hide signature --

Still shooting 35/120/220mm film

pspentax's gear list:pspentax's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7R +13 more
Onetrack97
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
In reply to CraigBennett, May 2, 2013

CraigBennett wrote:

Onetrack97 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Scott

You have updated the FlexTT5's firmware?

Somewhat off topic.

I too use the TT5s, MiniTT1 and Speedlights for most of my outside lighting (Sekonic L-478DR) and get it setup very fast.  Using the meter or straight TTL not having any problems with the setup.  Also use their AC3 on the FlexTT5.

I am looking at purchasing 3 used Allen Bee's B1600's for a very good price with the thought about using the FlexTT5s and AC9s to control it for my outside shoots.  Looking at Paul Buff's inverter/battery to power the B1600.

But also considering purchasing one Einstein 640 with the PowerMC2 and inverter, so I am curious if others have problems with the OP's setup too.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Yes, I'm up to date on all firmware.

I'm using dual SB910s for the key light with softbox or shoot-through.  Bare if I have to beat the sun.

The Mini-Lithium Inverters are awesome.  I use a superclamp and attach to the bottom of a stick or light stand.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads