d7100, the smaller birds in flight.

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,334
Like?
d7100, the smaller birds in flight.
Apr 12, 2013

Many DSLRs do a pretty good job with gulls, terns and pelicans.  The d7100, here with the new 80-400 af-s,  did a passable job with these Tree Swallows.  At least they are identifiable.

This one is a Barn Swallow

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,083
Like?
Re: d7100, the smaller birds in flight.
In reply to engbert, Apr 12, 2013

Well caught swallows and excellent news for me , as just added both camera and lens to my set.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rhinofly
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to engbert, Apr 13, 2013

Nice job catching those little buggers.

Like you I have been out trying to take small bird in flight photos with my new D7100. I have it paired with the 70-300 af-s VR.

I have found that the 51 point autofocus seems to work pretty well for birds on uniform backgrounds, like blue sky. But it seems lousy if you have backgrounds with structure. In that case I have been dropping back to single servo/single point.  Did you play around with the different AF settings on these birds?

Also, I am seeing lots of noise in the sky at 100% crop, even down at ISO 320. I am shooting raw and then doing noise reduction after processing so it ends up looking pretty clean. My main drawback is the softness of my lens at 300mm and f5.6.

I am seeing quite a bit of noise in your photos as well, granted at ISO 1000. Did your photos have any noise reduction?

engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,334
Like?
In reply to Rhinofly, Apr 13, 2013

Rhinofly wrote:

Also, I am seeing lots of noise in the sky at 100% crop, even down at ISO 320. I am shooting raw and then doing noise reduction after processing so it ends up looking pretty clean. My main drawback is the softness of my lens at 300mm and f5.6.

I am seeing quite a bit of noise in your photos as well, granted at ISO 1000. Did your photos have any noise reduction?

These are very small crops, and I think that is the reason you are seeing noise even after I applied some luma NR in Lightroom.  It is very fine grained noise, which probably would not show on a print.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads