Does perform as expected...poor choice for GPS camera.

Started Apr 12, 2013 | User reviews
workreview
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Does perform as expected...poor choice for GPS camera.
Apr 12, 2013

This review is based both on price point and camera function.  The overall price of this camera suggests that you are purchasing a bullet proof system to document photos, gps coordinates with the ability to transfer this information seemlessly using either Bluetooth or Wifi (if equipped) capabilities.  THIS IS NOT THE CASE.  I have not found the Bluetooth or Wifi functions to work with any computer equipment thus far.  It is a wasted feature that simply does not function without buying additional equipment to allow it to work.  Not what was indicated originally by the product specs.

Furthermore, this camera is just plain difficult to use.  The on camera menu funcitons are terribly complicated to understand, and the camera user manual is simply CRAP.  By CRAP, I mean to say that the manual attempts to employ the use of multiple cross references that individually are not helpful at all.  In essence, you are instructed to reference multiple different pages  to attempt to figure out one camera function.  The referenced pages, then reference other pages, sometimes sending you back to the page you just referenced and none of it seems to be written with any intent of actually providing you information on how to use the complicated camera menus.  I would personally love to shove this manual straight up the rear end of the person/people who wrote it...one page at a time...yes, it's that frustrating.

Also, the camera is not very flexible in managing data on the camera itself.  You can set up different folders on the camera, but be advised, you cannot access a prevoiusly created folder if a newer folder is created.  Nice job Ricoh.  That's just plain dumb.

Let's talk about battery life.  If you plan to use this camera for any appreciable length of time, yo will need to buy extra batteries.  My typical work day requires its use for about 6 to 8 hours of periodic use.  If I don't have 3 fully charged batteries, I will not have enough power to complete my work day.  Very poor quality, IMO.

How about the one feature that drew me to the camera initially....GPS capability.  Here's how it works.  When you arrive at your destination where you require the GPS function to work, you MUST immediately turn on your camera and get a fix on the satellites.  This usually takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes (+/-).  If you turn the camera off, or it turns itself off, the same routine is required to re-establish a satellite link.  So, if you have any need to transition to different locations frequently, you will definitely find this feature annoying at best.  Yes, it does capture GPS coordinates, I'll give it that.   Just not very fast from initial power on.

I have contacted both the vendor from who I originally purchased the camera and Ricoh tech support and they were unable to convince me that this camera was worth the outlandish purchase price I paid.  So, if you can't buy it in the $200 to $300 range, it isn't worth the price.  I'm sure you can find a better equipped camera out there are a fraction of the cost.

Oh, and the resolution of the camera....not any better than my cell phone.

Nice job Ricoh...this is the most expensive brick I own.

workreview's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
poor
Action / sports
poor
Landscapes / scenery
bad
Portraits
poor
Low light (without flash)
weak
Flash photography (social)
weak
Studio / still life
weak
= community average
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,812
Like?
Re: Does perform as expected...poor choice for GPS camera.
In reply to workreview, Apr 12, 2013

Just curious.

When actually did you buy this obsolete camera?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Apr 13, 2013

The G700 and G700SE is not absolete even though a G800 might come within half a year or a year if Ricoh follow their  two years cycle.

Not good to hear all this about the GPS. I've used and still have my 500SE with the GPS for it and it works well as long as I'm outside. Though I knew that battery life is is slightly worse for the G600 and G700.

I wonder if Workreview has updated the firmware at all? http://ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/g700se/

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,812
Like?
In reply to schaki, Apr 14, 2013

schaki wrote:

The G700 and G700SE is not absolete even though a G800 might come within half a year or a year if Ricoh follow their  two years cycle.

Not good to hear all this about the GPS. I've used and still have my 500SE with the GPS for it and it works well as long as I'm outside. Though I knew that battery life is is slightly worse for the G600 and G700.

I wonder if Workreview has updated the firmware at all? http://ricoh.com/r_dc/download/firmware/g700se/

One message, one thread, one post=review.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,079Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Apr 14, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

schaki wrote:

One message, one thread, one post=review.

And you responded to this thread as well, before me

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads