Who here got rid of all dust on their sensor with wet cleaning?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
wint
Regular MemberPosts: 283Gear list
Like?
Who here got rid of all dust on their sensor with wet cleaning?
Apr 12, 2013

After 4000 shots I have decided to do the wet cleaning by myself. I bought a Eclipse ans Swabs tipe 3.

After the first cleaning, I realized it removed most of the dust but a considerable amount still was accumulated at the ends of the sensor as if had swept the dust to there.

In the end, even after used 3 swabs I still have some spots in my sensor.

Who here got rid of 100% of dust on their sensor with wet cleaning and how?

-- hide signature --

If my language it is not clear, excuse me, the English is just my third language.

wint's gear list:wint's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,787
Like?
Suggestions
In reply to wint, Apr 12, 2013

The expensive sensor swabs aren't very good, and they tend to make you quit cleaning before the job is done. I strongly suggest you visit the Copperhill sensor cleaning site. I use Pec Pads wrapped around a spatula to create custom swabs. This has a couple of big advantages; the swabs are cheap and that encourages cleaning until the job is done, and the cleaning surface is better supported along a firm, straight edge. A wrapped spatula is better at cleaning to the edges.

I also mix other cleaning methods as appropriate. The tacky Dust Aid sensor pads work well with non-sticky dust and there's no concern for leaving streaks or pushing dirt to the edges of the sensor. Spec Grabbers are useful too, especially for picking up a single stubborn dust mote. But you need to clean the Spec Grabber after each time you touch it to the sensor.

Sometimes I've had to run through seven or eight cleaning passes to do a perfect cleaning job. It's  worth the effort and you will get better results with practice.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162Gear list
Like?
Re: Who here got rid of all dust on their sensor with wet cleaning?

I've used the Eclipse system but have gotten better results using Copper Hill.

Also, always do a physical dust removal using a bulb air puffer (gently) before starting the wet cleaning. I additionally use a VisibleDust Arctic Butterfly before the wet cleaning.

wint wrote:

After 4000 shots I have decided to do the wet cleaning by myself. I bought a Eclipse ans Swabs tipe 3.

After the first cleaning, I realized it removed most of the dust but a considerable amount still was accumulated at the ends of the sensor as if had swept the dust to there.

In the end, even after used 3 swabs I still have some spots in my sensor.

Who here got rid of 100% of dust on their sensor with wet cleaning and how?

-- hide signature --

If my language it is not clear, excuse me, the English is just my third language.

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,881Gear list
Like?
I have, a few times a year

Every so often I set down and clean all my cameras, and my wife.  D80, D200, D300, D700, and soon-to-be-cleaned-the-first-time D800e.

I use Pec Pads, a plastic wand, a rubber band, Eclipse2 fluid, and patience.  I follow up with a Sensorpen.

For me, it's almost never a one-pass job.   First time took me 30 minutes and 7 pads.   I've got better with practice, so now often one or two wet cleans and a quick dab with the Sensorpen to finish.

I start with a Rocket Blower, giving a few puffs.   Then I check to see what's left and where.

I've got a sensor loupe with a light - worthless for seeing the dust specks that show up at F11, but handy to see how badly you've screwed up leaving cleaning streaks on the sensor.   But to check, you absolutely have to do a test shot and check the results.  Chimping the LCD at the right magnification works fine.

Once I decide to wet clean, I lay everything out in a clean, bright work area.  I make sure the batteries are fully charged.

I make a wet clean pass, then check it by taking a test shot.   I usually find the old spots gone after the first pass now (unless sticky pollen was on there), but I've managed to shove dust into a corner.

Additional wet passes usually remove a lot of dust, but move some around to another corner.  Eventually I got smart and bought a sensorpen.   It's got a small tip that I carefully use on dirty corners, and the job is then almost always done.   Saves a lot of aggravation.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Bob from Plymouth
Contributing MemberPosts: 590Gear list
Like?

I bought the swabs, Eclipse fluid and Pec Pads when I bought the D600 a couple of months ago. It all sits on the shelf in my office, so far unused. The sensor has just a couple of tiny dust bunnies which where there from new.

Bob from Plymouth's gear list:Bob from Plymouth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
MTT
MTT
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,951
Like?
Which sensorpen do you have? nt
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 12, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Every so often I set down and clean all my cameras, and my wife.  D80, D200, D300, D700, and soon-to-be-cleaned-the-first-time D800e.

I use Pec Pads, a plastic wand, a rubber band, Eclipse2 fluid, and patience.  I follow up with a Sensorpen.

For me, it's almost never a one-pass job.   First time took me 30 minutes and 7 pads.   I've got better with practice, so now often one or two wet cleans and a quick dab with the Sensorpen to finish.

I start with a Rocket Blower, giving a few puffs.   Then I check to see what's left and where.

I've got a sensor loupe with a light - worthless for seeing the dust specks that show up at F11, but handy to see how badly you've screwed up leaving cleaning streaks on the sensor.   But to check, you absolutely have to do a test shot and check the results.  Chimping the LCD at the right magnification works fine.

Once I decide to wet clean, I lay everything out in a clean, bright work area.  I make sure the batteries are fully charged.

I make a wet clean pass, then check it by taking a test shot.   I usually find the old spots gone after the first pass now (unless sticky pollen was on there), but I've managed to shove dust into a corner.

Additional wet passes usually remove a lot of dust, but move some around to another corner.  Eventually I got smart and bought a sensorpen.   It's got a small tip that I carefully use on dirty corners, and the job is then almost always done.   Saves a lot of aggravation.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

-- hide signature --

http://mtt.smugmug.com/photos/245519815-O.gif
This is me Post Processing. If only I can get it right the first time!
Full time auto tech, part time photographer. Mark Thompson/MTT
Louisville, KY. USA
Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'.. but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
http://markthompsonphotos.com

MTT
MTT
Like?
Any one has the sensor magnifier from Copper hill?

Is it worth buying?

Mark

-- hide signature --

Louisville, KY. USA
Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'.. but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?

Jon_Doh
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?

Had similar results using the wet system that you described.  I've had much better luck using SensoKlear dry pen.  Get a good lighted magnifier and sit near a window with good light and you'll be able to see the areas on the sensor that need to be cleaned.  Last step is to use a Rocket blower.

-- hide signature --

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Jon_Doh's gear list:Jon_Doh's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Canon EOS-1D Mark III
steven2874
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
Re: I have, a few times a year

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Every so often I set down and clean all my cameras, and my wife.

How many Pecpads does it take to clean the wife?

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
Re: Which sensorpen do you have? nt
In reply to MTT, Apr 12, 2013

It's one with a small (less than 1/4 inch) triangular tip.   I'm not trying to swab the whole sensor with it, just get into the corners to clean out dust there.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to steven2874, Apr 12, 2013

steven2874 wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Hmm.   Maybe not so many as other guys.  My wife is only 4' 11".

For the life of me, I can't figure out how I wrote that!   I think I meant 'lenses' and my wife came in and started to talk while I was typing.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Mojn
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Keep it simple, keep trying

I used the same products the other day. 2 swaps + Eclipse. Don't make it too complicated with other brands and more equipment.

Rocket blower --> Camera sensor cleaning --> testshot --> swap --> rocket blower -- Camera sensor cleaning x 3

Repeat.

It's possible to check the testshot quite well on the LCD if you zoom in.

MTT
MTT
Like?
LOL. nt
-- hide signature --

Louisville, KY. USA

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,680
Like?

I usually follow a wet cleaning with this method.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

steven2874 wrote:

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Hmm.   Maybe not so many as other guys.  My wife is only 4' 11".

For the life of me, I can't figure out how I wrote that!   I think I meant 'lenses' and my wife came in and started to talk while I was typing.

What a hilarious freudian slip!   Good thing she wasn't carrying a roll of bathroom tissue.

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

..., and my wife.

I really was looking forward to hearing more about that.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
kmdmd1
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 13, 2013

It has been an education for me with sensor cleaning which started with lubricant on the sensor. First got the sensor loupe and rocket blower and tried all the visible dust solvents and swabs to no avail. Then went to eclipse with sensor swabs. It took a box of swabs and almost got it clean. Then purchased the Copper Hill products and got several different sized sensor wands including the small one for the V1 series and the various sized pec pads. The owner was incredibly helpful on the phone. I found the sensor wand and pec pads and eclipse to be easy and effective. Using a smaller sized wand helped avoid hitting the sides and made it easier getting into the corners and targeting the heavily coated areas of the oil laden sensor. Since that first painful introduction into sensor cleaning I have easily been using the copper hill products which I highly recommend. I want to thank other forum posters (I believe one was Robin Cassidy) who introduced me to copper hill and who helped guide me through the process.

kmdmd1's gear list:kmdmd1's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Mully410
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to wint, Apr 13, 2013

+ for Copperhill.  I tried Visible Dust swabs and solution and got streaks and it took 6-8 swabs to get my d7000 clean.  Very expensive.  Get a good lighted loupe because it's a pain remounting lens taking photos and looking at them...repeat.

After cleaning my d7k two or three times and my D4 twice, I can get it perfectly clean in 2 or three pec-pads.

MTT
MTT
Like?
kmdmd1
In reply to kmdmd1, Apr 13, 2013

So what size wand do you prefer for cleaning a FF sensor? One for the V1 series?

Mark

It has been an education for me with sensor cleaning which started with lubricant on the sensor. First got the sensor loupe and rocket blower and tried all the visible dust solvents and swabs to no avail. Then went to eclipse with sensor swabs. It took a box of swabs and almost got it clean. Then purchased the Copper Hill products and got several different sized sensor wands including the small one for the V1 series and the various sized pec pads. The owner was incredibly helpful on the phone. I found the sensor wand and pec pads and eclipse to be easy and effective. Using a smaller sized wand helped avoid hitting the sides and made it easier getting into the corners and targeting the heavily coated areas of the oil laden sensor. Since that first painful introduction into sensor cleaning I have easily been using the copper hill products which I highly recommend. I want to thank other forum posters (I believe one was Robin Cassidy) who introduced me to copper hill and who helped guide me through the process.

-- hide signature --

Louisville, KY. USA

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,377Gear list
Like?
Excellent advice!
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 13, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Excellent advice. I suggest you follow it - to the letter.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads