READ THE MANUAL!!!

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
READ THE MANUAL!!!
Apr 12, 2013

Many questions on here and on other forums can be simply answered by READING THE MANUAL!!

Why are people so dumb?

Of course I include myself in the 'dumb' category because I never read the manual either....

Is it a 'macho male' thing?  

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
Re: READ THE MANUAL!!!
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 12, 2013

And learn to use Google.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
In reply to Archer66, Apr 12, 2013

Quite!

There are other search engines too.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,644Gear list
Like?

One only reads the instructions after all else has failed!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
People are lazy

I don't know why, but many find it easier to ask strangers on an internet forum than to look it up in the manual, or even trying to google it.

Of course, manufacturers not supplying printed manuals doesn't help the situitation.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 15,299Gear list
Like?

Well maybe some cant read?

Maybe they learn better, like many on this forum, when the issue is reduced to common sense and in verbiage that is easier for them to understand from other photogs?

Just my thoughts to your yelling about someone else's possible personal deficiencies.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to digitalshooter, Apr 12, 2013

Have you read the manual?  They should just let Gary Friedman write it for them.   --
John D. Conley nemo me impune lacessit
Take some shots and SHARE...more fun that peeping at pixels at some crazy ISO!!!

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?
In reply to digitalshooter, Apr 12, 2013

I like your confidence but my camera (NEX 7) didn't come with a manual ! Thank goodness the UI is so easy to understand ......... 

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Graham Best
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Apr 12, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

I like your confidence but my camera (NEX 7) didn't come with a manual !--

Keith C

That's surprising, the 3 alpha Sony cameras I've purchased all came with printed manuals. I guess Sony was trying to save a few pennies with the NEX.

You are in luck though, here's the link to download your camera's pdf. manual.http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NEX7&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

Graham Best's gear list:Graham Best's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +12 more
royalpar1
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
Manual ? No
In reply to Graham Best, Apr 12, 2013

The Manual sucks, however best bang for the buck is obtaining Gary Friedmans download. The rest of the books including David Busch are nonsense. Gary is not afraid to tell you which settings to use. If you are interested enough to hang on this board, the 30 bucks you will spend on the download is the best accessorie you can buy for your camera. http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

-- hide signature --
Graham Best
Like?
Re: Manual ? No
In reply to royalpar1, Apr 12, 2013

royalpar1 wrote:

The Manual sucks

In what way? I'll admit that Sony at times has some slightly awkward translations in it's manuals, but I've found they explain the controls clearly.

I'm sure 3rd party manuals do help the new photographer, although I suspect there's better resources available on general photography knowledge than Mr. Friedman's (admittedly not a fair statement on my part, I've never opened one of his books). For anyone already familiar with camera operation, all one needs is an explanation of what menu item or button controls the function the user desires. Sony does an adequate job explaining this in their user manuals.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +12 more
jmknights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,558Gear list
Like?

I never do either, but I do read Gary Friedman's manuals, guess you could be called Sony**** Manual for Dummies. Fortunately Sony Cameras are pretty intuitive for the upgrades Eg. A900 to A99....

-- hide signature --

Jim in VT

jwkphoto
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
In reply to royalpar1, Apr 12, 2013

royalpar1 wrote:

The Manual sucks, however best bang for the buck is obtaining Gary Friedmans download. The rest of the books including David Busch are nonsense. Gary is not afraid to tell you which settings to use. If you are interested enough to hang on this board, the 30 bucks you will spend on the download is the best accessorie you can buy for your camera. http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

-- hide signature --

I'll second that!

I got the A57 a week ago when it went on sale. I read the Manual and Handbook from cover to cover and much of it was a little confusing as to how things worked. The A57 is more complicated than my A100 and A300 is. So I got Gary's A57/A37 Ebook and it got me up and running. I highly recommend it!

The A57 is a fantastic camera and I really enjoy using it. The one thing I do miss that my A100/300 would do and the A57 doesn't is using my Sony F56 flash as the main wireless flash. Wired, it works great.

One other great thing, I bought a used Minolta 58mm F/1.2 lens back in 1999 when I was shooting film and it never seemed to work well so I put it away. In 2006, I bought the A100 and signed on this forum and I read about converting the 58mm lens to the A mount for digital photography by removing the lens mount and using a turned down t-mount in it's place . It worked but a pain to use and difficult to focus well using the small viewfinder. By reading Gary's book I discovered 'focus peaking' and now I can easily focus the lens plus with a much larger viewfinder. Not only that, with the A57, I can use all the different exposure modes where before I it would only work in manual exposure mode.

Jerry

phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164Gear list
Like?

R.T.F.M.

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?

Graham Best wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

I like your confidence but my camera (NEX 7) didn't come with a manual !--

Keith C

That's surprising, the 3 alpha Sony cameras I've purchased all came with printed manuals. I guess Sony was trying to save a few pennies with the NEX.

You are in luck though, here's the link to download your camera's pdf. manual.http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NEX7&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

Thanks for the link.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Kzoozoomer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?

I've been using DSLRs since 1976, and I find Gary Friedman's ebooks very informative and helpful--much more so than Sony's manuals.

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Rexel99
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?

Because not everything is obvious by reading the manual and not everybody takes in information the same way.

I read the manual for my A77 and it was boring, I think I slept through parts of it so I found out things about the camera by trial and error and also by reading Friedmans book which was much more entertaining and enlightening. I got lots more from reading this forum and many other sony specific articles and general training guides, listening to podcasts and watching vids...

I also found things out as I needed to learn and use them, at a camera club with a strobe adaptor I had to ask a friend about the 'live preview' option which he knew and i didn't (even though i read the manual 3 times by this stage)

People may take in information in text, orally or by doing the tasks, they need to be taught using these various methods to help ensure this information sinks in and a manual simply does not do this. This is not the fault of the people but the fault of the way this information is provided, Sony or all other companies could do better than just provide a manual or paid-for training, why not deliver product information via video tutes now?

And finally, we are all stupid now. It used to be that we had no choice but to try to figure it out ourselves but these days it is just easier to lookup and/or ask somebody else on the web to answer our question directly.

I also see that people can not express their questions in writing. This makes it hard for searches to work when they can not enter a simple sentence into a google search without mis-spelling it or using abbreviations that confuse search or forum systems.. thus they get no help looking for 'dipt of feeld review' when they are wanting to know about 'depth of field preview' and quickly resort to asking for personal one-on-one help. And what's worse is that we give it to them...

Rexel99's gear list:Rexel99's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,302Gear list
Like?

I read the manual twice before I got the A99, then I read it again. Found and issue read the manual (well skimmed with search) reported the issue and Sony, within 2 hours told me to read the manual. Sure enough there it was, duh!

-- hide signature --

Sarge
A99| A77| A700
|8mm & 14mm Bower|Sony 28-75 & 70-300 G|
|35-70 & 50mm 1.7 Minolta |
|Sigma 18-250 - 70-200 - 50-500 - 2X TC|
|Tamron 90 - 1.4X TC|
Albums at www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +25 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,691
Like?

Sonyshine wrote:

Many questions on here and on other forums can be simply answered by READING THE MANUAL!!

Why are people so dumb?

Of course I include myself in the 'dumb' category because I never read the manual either....

Is it a 'macho male' thing?  

I am never sure which way round it works.

Do they provide the camera to help you understand what all the gibberish in the manual means or the manual to help you use the camera.

I find you often have to mess around with the camera first to make sense of the manual.

Trying to figure out the Olympus Pen menus by purely reading the manual would be a quick route to insanity. Too late.

Graham Best
Like?
In reply to jwkphoto, Apr 13, 2013

jwkphoto wrote:

By reading Gary's book I discovered 'focus peaking' and now I can easily focus the lens plus with a much larger viewfinder. Not only that, with the A57, I can use all the different exposure modes where before I it would only work in manual exposure mode.

Jerry

I'm happy you're happy, but one has no need to "read Gary's book" to use focus peaking. I've never read a page from one of his books, but I was "up to speed" with focus peaking within 15 minutes of unpacking my a77.

Likewise, semi-auto exposure modes have been around for years. There are many free resources available on the web, with detailed explanations, to be had with a simple search (here's just one example http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/camera-exposure-modes-explained/).

I don't begrudge anyone making a buck, but I'll bet most people would be better served reading the factory manual and engaging in a little self experimentation with their camera. If one wants additional help with photographic principles, read something specific to the subject (e.g., lighting, exposure, or composition).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads