Lens hoods indoor?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
Louno
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Lens hoods indoor?
Apr 12, 2013

Is it worth it to get hoods if shooting mostly indoor? Using either kit lens or legacy lenses, does it "really" help for indoor shooting? I guess it depends on the situations, but in general perhaps more so on legacy lenses?
How do you know which shape/type and length to get for which lenses? ( I have kit 1650 and a pentax-a 50mm )

Thx!

Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,230Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens hoods indoor?
In reply to Louno, Apr 12, 2013

I would not expect a hood to help the photos.  Even outdoors, hoods only help in specific lighting situations.  But it might keep people from bumping into the lens itself.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?

Lens hood indoors?  Lens hood *always* - for the physical protection it offers to the front element.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

squirrelyfox
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
In reply to HeavyDuty, Apr 12, 2013

Agreed with the previous two posters: Unless I really need to pack it down, I always keep the lens hood on as I've had more than a few occasions of putting it down and something touching the lens or bumping into someone. I also find it extremely useful for the odd occasion when you need to shoot right up against a window or fence, since you can just jame the lens right up against the glass that way without having to worry about touching the lens.

squirrelyfox's gear list:squirrelyfox's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,279
Like?
In reply to squirrelyfox, Apr 12, 2013

Get a lens hood, use a lens hood and never take it off by getting a cover that fits into the lens hood opening in front.

Day, night, in the bag, out of the bag, etc, just what always really means. Always hooded!

Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?
In reply to uhligfd, Apr 12, 2013

Yes.Always

Just like the others said it's a protection. Plus it still blocks unwanted light.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,525Gear list
Like?

Louno wrote:

Is it worth it to get hoods if shooting mostly indoor? Using either kit lens or legacy lenses, does it "really" help for indoor shooting? I guess it depends on the situations, but in general perhaps more so on legacy lenses?
How do you know which shape/type and length to get for which lenses? ( I have kit 1650 and a pentax-a 50mm )

Thx!

Practically, always, indoors and out. On some lenses with screw-on lens hood (for example Sigma 70mm f/2.8 macro), I simply leave the hood on, and got lens cap that fits the hood.

I might skip it on lenses I would buy for smaller size though (pancakes, and even 16-50PZ), although if carrying a bag, I might toss one in, just in case I see a need.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads