Are Zeikos flashes reliable?

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Questions
ErickMoral
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
Are Zeikos flashes reliable?
Apr 12, 2013

I'm starting into flash photography so I decided to order something cheap, but powerful, so I decided to go for some $65 Vivitar DF 286 which turned out to be a piece of crap, it didn't work properly out of the box, it flashes like by itself every time I move the head, the test button didnt react all the time, up to the point in which the thing no longer works. (Actually when it did decided to work, that thing was VERY powerful).

I'm returning it to B&H and I saw this Zeikos ze-690ex which costs about 89 dollars, I'm guessing i can invest a few dollars extra to get it, but the thing is I dont want to have the same bad experience I had with the vivitar, anyone tried Zeikos before?

ErickMoral's gear list:ErickMoral's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?
Re: Are Zeikos flashes reliable?
In reply to ErickMoral, Apr 12, 2013

I have no experience with either brand, but why not just go with a reputable brand that you KNOW will work properly and not give you fits?  I was always taught that you get what you pay for, so when you need a tool you spend the absolute most money you can on a name thats been around for a long time and has a great reputation.  I grew up on a farm super poor but when we needed a tool we spent more on that tool than your average person would because we wanted it to LAST and work properly because we NEEDED it to.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ErickMoral
Like?
In reply to DuaneV, Apr 12, 2013

DuaneV wrote:

I have no experience with either brand, but why not just go with a reputable brand that you KNOW will work properly and not give you fits?

Why? Because they cost much more, though I agree with your point of what you pay is what you get... but I can't afford a 430exII right now, because I WILL get one in the future, but meanwhile I'm looking for something cheap for now.

Peter Berressem
Forum ProPosts: 10,647
Like?

As for cheaper than Canon / Nikon brand.... I gather from various sources on the net that the Yongnuo flashes get very good reports from "strobists" all over the world. E.g. the 560 Ex.

www.thephoblographer.com/2012/04/09/review-yongnuo-560-ex-ii-flash-for-canon-and-nikon/

Or search dpreview on them.

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?

ErickMoral wrote:

Why?

So you don't have a POS breaking down and not working all the time?  I would think your initial post would have taught you that.  Go buy another POS and see what happens, it wont be much different and youll be back here again asking for another POS brand.

Yongnuo is a good speedlight if you don't want to spend a bunch of money.  Or you could save your money until you can buy a USED reputable brand flash.  You can save a ton of money buying used gear.  I own 4 used Nikons that I picked up super cheap on ebay that work just like brand new.

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
In reply to ErickMoral, Apr 14, 2013

ErickMoral wrote:

I'm starting into flash photography so I decided to order something cheap, but powerful...

Yongnuo YN-560 II

Buy direct from their ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Flashes-Flash-Accessories-/64353/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=hkyongnuophotoequipment

They are great flashes in my experience so far. Stand and soft case included.  You might even want to buy some RF-603 radio triggers from them if your needs are going that way.

ErickMoral
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 14, 2013

ErickMoral wrote:

I'm starting into flash photography so I decided to order something cheap, but powerful...

Yongnuo YN-560 II

Buy direct from their ebay store.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Flashes-Flash-Accessories-/64353/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=hkyongnuophotoequipment

They are great flashes in my experience so far. Stand and soft case included.  You might even want to buy some RF-603 radio triggers from them if your needs are going that way.

I've done some research on those yongnuos and they seem to fit my needs pretty well, I like the 560 and the optical slave capability for my 60d I will definitely grab one of those thank you guys!

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to ErickMoral, Apr 14, 2013

ErickMoral wrote:

I'm starting into flash photography so I decided to order something cheap, but powerful, so I decided to go for some $65 Vivitar DF 286 which turned out to be a piece of crap, it didn't work properly out of the box, it flashes like by itself every time I move the head, the test button didnt react all the time, up to the point in which the thing no longer works. (Actually when it did decided to work, that thing was VERY powerful).

I'm returning it to B&H and I saw this Zeikos ze-690ex which costs about 89 dollars, I'm guessing i can invest a few dollars extra to get it, but the thing is I dont want to have the same bad experience I had with the vivitar, anyone tried Zeikos before?

Would you put your life savings in Fred's bank?  Never heard of Fred's bank either.  Stick to your OEM flash, Metz or Quantum.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Pat1954
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Apr 16, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

Stick to your OEM flash, Metz or Quantum.

I've been putting a couple of Metz 4CL with Quantum Battery 2 to hard use for a decade. Not one single problem. Metz potato mashers are tough. Can be bought used for cheap. Dead Quantum batteries are practically being given away, they can be re-celled at home for about $30.

-- hide signature --

_________
Pat

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads