Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,269
Like?
Room for all
In reply to SuvoMitra, Apr 15, 2013

SuvoMitra wrote:

krikman wrote:

Welcome to XXI century. Today's format is 600*600 instagram.

So, the kids want to look at whole photos on handheld screens and miss out on scrutinising minute differences between 80 inch wide images sampled at close range on 24 inch monitors? They've gone to the dogs, I say.

True that but it was always the case in some ways. Remember when everyone got a Polaroid or the little Kodak Instamatics. The group of real photo artists was still out there but smaller than the new group in numbers. That hasn't changed. There are still real tradition photographers out there (I would argue even higher total numbers) but they have simply been joined by an even bigger group of snap shooters. I welcome them and all who take a picture. Room for all!  

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner
In reply to jonikon, Apr 16, 2013

Thanks Jonikon for the help

My problem is that I think all of my Sigma lenses were made before the D7000.

A I heard from these relatively older Sigma's some work some not with the D7100.

It would be great to know  which lens from which serial number would work and which one has to be rechipped, which is a big PIA. I don't know if they do it in my country (there is no official Sigma representation only a company who are a wholeseller of Sigma lenses)

So it might be very slow, expensive and problematic...

Thanks

jano

jonikon wrote:

rockjano wrote:

Dear Novens2 please help me!

I am seriously considering to replace my trusty D300 with the D7100 but I am really full of Sigma lenses.

What lenses did you try and what did not work? And how they did not work?

I have 18-50 2,8, 50-150 2,8, 50 1,4, 30 1,4, 105 macro, 10-20 4,5-5,6, 150-500 OS

I know that sometimes even serial numbers could count a newer version from the same lens might work and older might not

I would be really greatful if you could help me!!!

Thanks

jano

I hope you don't mind that I am jumping in and answering your question, but the short answer is that if your Sigma lens was made after the introduction of the D7000, it should work fine with the D7100. Any lens that was made before the introduction of the D7000 will most likely need to be serviced by Sigma to to work properly with the D7000/D7100. If your Sigma lens works in Live View with your new camera, it should work in all other respects as well. I have to Sigma lenses that work just fine with my D7000, including in Live View.

- Jon

rbmphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258
Like?
Not up to Nikon to 'fix' 3rd party interface...
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Apr 16, 2013

If you manufacture and market a product to be an addition to an existing product - and in competition with that manufacturer's product line - the burden falls 100% on you to make it work properly.

You are right to suggest that he might have a long wait for Nikon to fix the problem - Nikon's position should be that the problem is you didn't buy a Nikon lens...

No 'fix' needed - OEM's don't promise that aftermarket products can be used in place of their own.

If a specific third market lens works - great! - but it's a bonus, not a promise...

dcmackintosh
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
D300S to D7100 Curious
In reply to olynik969, Apr 16, 2013

I'm in a similar upgrade quandry.  I had a D7000 on preorder 2.5 years ago but cancelled that and bought a very nearly new D300S for a little less money.  I think this was a good decision as I shoot sports in all weather (and indoors) and now have at least 70k releases on it.  I use screw-drive Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 zooms and Nikon 35 and 50 f/1.8G primes.  Fantastic camera.

However, the things I'd like to improve about the D300S are low-light performance (ISO 1,600 and above) and resolution (allowing tighter crops and bigger prints).  As good or better AF performance and weather sealing required.  The D7100 really has me thinking.

One thing that bothers me a little is no AF-On button, since I use that exclusively for focus on my D300S.  I think I'd read that the AE-L button can be used for AF, is that correct?  If not, that may be a deal breaker for me.

RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 3,046
Like?
Re: D300S to D7100 Curious
In reply to dcmackintosh, Apr 16, 2013

dcmackintosh wrote:

I'm in a similar upgrade quandry.  I had a D7000 on preorder 2.5 years ago but cancelled that and bought a very nearly new D300S for a little less money.  I think this was a good decision as I shoot sports in all weather (and indoors) and now have at least 70k releases on it.  I use screw-drive Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 zooms and Nikon 35 and 50 f/1.8G primes.  Fantastic camera.

However, the things I'd like to improve about the D300S are low-light performance (ISO 1,600 and above) and resolution (allowing tighter crops and bigger prints).  As good or better AF performance and weather sealing required.  The D7100 really has me thinking.

One thing that bothers me a little is no AF-On button, since I use that exclusively for focus on my D300S.  I think I'd read that the AE-L button can be used for AF, is that correct?  If not, that may be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, you can easily set the AE-L/AF-L button to function as the AF-ON button. I do it regularly.

Rudy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads