2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner

Started Apr 12, 2013 | Discussions
olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416
Like?
2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner
Apr 12, 2013

The D7100 really appears nice with the AF advancements and other changes/improvements over the D7000.  That said, I have a couple of quick Q's for those who have one and may have had a D7000 and or a D300/300s:

1)  Focus tracking: Have you found it comparable to the D300/300s in tracking ability?

2)  IQ: Do you find it (other than the sensor size) better than the D7000? If so, in what ways?  In Imaging Resource (IR) it "appears" (on my monitor) to be very similar in coloration, a "bit" sharper (in detail) but pretty much the same on high IQ noise (in other words, no real gain in High Iso capabilities). Do you find my impression/assessment based on IR accurate or not?

Have been hoping for a D300s replacement but just not sure that will ever materialize.... so assuming the AF system (AF tracking) equals or betters the D300s, I'd really consider a D7100.

Thanks much for your time to respond,

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Re: 2 D7100 Q's - From a D300s and D7000 Owner
In reply to olynik969, Apr 13, 2013

olynik969 wrote:

The D7100 really appears nice with the AF advancements and other changes/improvements over the D7000.  That said, I have a couple of quick Q's for those who have one and may have had a D7000 and or a D300/300s:

1)  Focus tracking: Have you found it comparable to the D300/300s in tracking ability?

2)  IQ: Do you find it (other than the sensor size) better than the D7000? If so, in what ways?  In Imaging Resource (IR) it "appears" (on my monitor) to be very similar in coloration, a "bit" sharper (in detail) but pretty much the same on high IQ noise (in other words, no real gain in High Iso capabilities). Do you find my impression/assessment based on IR accurate or not?

Have been hoping for a D300s replacement but just not sure that will ever materialize.... so assuming the AF system (AF tracking) equals or betters the D300s, I'd really consider a D7100.

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

To compare the grain fairly the objects within the frame have to be the same size, and at IR they are not. Also your looking at a well lit scene there, but what about shadow areas. From what I've seen looking at various sites is that the D7100 has a slight noise, and Dynamic range edge at higher iso's, but also has some issues that may make those improvements a wash.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416
Like?
Thanks for sharing...
In reply to fotolopithecus, Apr 13, 2013

Appreciate your thoughts....

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

Novens2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664
Like?
In reply to olynik969, Apr 13, 2013

Hi I have the d300 and had the d7100 for two weeks. The improvements I noticed were improved auto white balance, better color dynamic range though sometimes flat, better high ISO but really only in good light if you're looking for fine detail. What I didn't like smaller cheaper body feels like a 7000 but even less weight but for me no big deal, the dusting out of details when light is fair to poor at ISO 500 and up, the change in behavior when it comes to flash and auto iso using the higher settings too readily forcing you to stop and turn off auto ISO easy enough with front dial, but the only deal breaker for me was the inconsistent focus with my sigma lens. If the lens issue could get worked out I could be back with a d7100 in hand as it is a nice overall improvement in IQ over the d300 IMO.

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,085Gear list
Like?
In reply to Novens2, Apr 13, 2013

Novens2 wrote:

Hi I have the d300 and had the d7100 for two weeks. The improvements I noticed were improved auto white balance, better color dynamic range though sometimes flat, better high ISO but really only in good light if you're looking for fine detail. What I didn't like smaller cheaper body feels like a 7000 but even less weight but for me no big deal, the dusting out of details when light is fair to poor at ISO 500 and up, the change in behavior when it comes to flash and auto iso using the higher settings too readily forcing you to stop and turn off auto ISO easy enough with front dial, but the only deal breaker for me was the inconsistent focus with my sigma lens. If the lens issue could get worked out I could be back with a d7100 in hand as it is a nice overall improvement in IQ over the d300 IMO.

Novens2, have you had a chance to use the various RAW converters now available? I remember that your initial assessments of the fine detail performance of the D7100 were based on JPEGs, which were the only format available to you at the time.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Novens2
Like?
In reply to mosswings, Apr 13, 2013

No but what I have seen posted here seems to confirm what I'm seeing with fine detail becoming dusty. But the d7100 is a nice overall improvement in IQ over the d300 IMO and a marked improvement in high ISO in certain siuations. As to raw I may look into it in the future if the lens issue gets figured out.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to fotolopithecus, Apr 13, 2013

fotolopithecus wrote:

olynik969 wrote:

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

To compare the grain fairly the objects within the frame have to be the same size, and at IR they are not. Also your looking at a well lit scene there, but what about shadow areas. From what I've seen looking at various sites is that the D7100 has a slight noise, and Dynamic range edge at higher iso's, but also has some issues that may make those improvements a wash.

Objects are of same size at IR samples, one needs only to reduce resolution to same as D7000's for proper comparison.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,633Gear list
Like?

Novens2 wrote:

Waiting for Nikon to fix an issue with 3rd party lenses is probably not a fruitful endeavor.  I have a number of 3rd party lenses and most of them quit working properly with the introduction of the d7k. With my Sigmas, most of which are at least 7 years old, I have various AF issues with the d7k, d5100 and d800.  Inconsistent focus is one of the issues I've seen.

Depending on the age/model of the lens, Sigma may have an easy fix by updating the lens firmware. AFAIK, that's the only way to resolve the focus issue problems with Nikon bodies.  I've read many accounts of users having focus issues and then reporting that the issues were fixed after they had sent the lens back to Sigma for repair.  I haven't sent any of my lenses for repair, but I do have a new 35 f/1.4 that seems to work fine with all of my cameras.  That seems to indicate that they have the ability to fix older lenses, assuming that the lens can have its firmware updated.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +11 more
rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?

Dear Novens2 please help me!

I am seriously considering to replace my trusty D300 with the D7100 but I am really full of Sigma lenses.

What lenses did you try and what did not work? And how they did not work?

I have 18-50 2,8, 50-150 2,8, 50 1,4, 30 1,4, 105 macro, 10-20 4,5-5,6, 150-500 OS

I know that sometimes even serial numbers could count a newer version from the same lens might work and older might not

I would be really greatful if you could help me!!!

Thanks

jano

Novens2 wrote:

Novens2
Like?
In reply to rockjano, Apr 13, 2013

I have what you have minus the 105 & 150-500, what I found is that the sigma lens worked poorly in live view and video compared to my one nikon lens and that the 18-50 2.8 and 30 1.4 my everyday lens focused inconsistently. On the positive side when they hit the mark it was lovely. If I'd had another week to fiddle with AF fine tune I would have as I do like the color and tone of the 7100 better then the d300 my present camera.

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to Novens2, Apr 15, 2013

Thanks a lot

What do you mean they worked poorly, were they slow, or focus problems?

Are they worse on the D7100 compared to other Nikons (like D300?)

Iaalso have some Nikkors 24-120, 18-70 and 70-300VR I can try them but I live my Sigma 2,8 zooms the 18-50 and the 50-150. Those are the ones I use the most.

If those don't work well than I would not go for the D7100

Thanks

jano

Novens2 wrote:

I have what you have minus the 105 & 150-500, what I found is that the sigma lens worked poorly in live view and video compared to my one nikon lens and that the 18-50 2.8 and 30 1.4 my everyday lens focused inconsistently. On the positive side when they hit the mark it was lovely. If I'd had another week to fiddle with AF fine tune I would have as I do like the color and tone of the 7100 better then the d300 my present camera.

Novens2
Like?
In reply to rockjano, Apr 15, 2013

Work fantastic on d300 but live view and video require good light to work consistently and found the focus was too consistently off when taking photos. Like the d7100 went back for now though it is not really a low light shooter.

Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457Gear list
Like?
In reply to Novens2, Apr 15, 2013

Novens2 wrote:

Work fantastic on d300 but live view and video require good light to work consistently and found the focus was too consistently off when taking photos. Like the d7100 went back for now though it is not really a low light shooter.

My Tokina and Tamrons work fine on the D7100, IQ across the board is better than my D300S, especially at higher iso's, low light focus is better, so is tracking and overall operational speed, get the D7100 you wont regret it, the D7100 is lighter but wow its well put together (better than the D7000), it just feels 'tight' in a good way.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216Gear list
Like?
In reply to olynik969, Apr 15, 2013

olynik969 wrote:

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

Its not a question if its better, just when will the replacament materialize. If your in a financial position of purchasing a D7100 and able to take a loss when tradeing in for the replacement than why wait.  Personally I have set my own date of June 1 of this year. By than if canon 7D2 is out nikon will have to respond. if no replacement than I will go for the D7100.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
SverreE
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?
In reply to olynik969, Apr 15, 2013

olynik969 wrote:

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

From D300 the quality have improved a lot!

I think we have a lot of misunderstanding because of the very high resolution. At 100% D7100 seems a little grainy... But if you look at your pictures in 50% it's much much better than D300.

-- hide signature --

Sverre

SuvoMitra
Contributing MemberPosts: 796
Like?
In reply to SverreE, Apr 15, 2013

I think we have a lot of misunderstanding because of the very high resolution. At 100% D7100 seems a little grainy...

It's amazing how many opinions are based on comparing at pixel level without considering differences in resolution. The method of side-by-side 100% crop comparisons may have been great in Phil Askey's days of cameras of similar sensor sizes and pixel count, but all it does now that there are so many sensor sizes, generations of sensor tech and resolutions all in the market at once, is confuse people no end.

You might think that people would really only care about how their images look (or can be made to look by PP)  in the output format(s) and viewing distances that interest them. It's just not like that.

-- hide signature --
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,284
Like?
Zoomed in the new print
In reply to SuvoMitra, Apr 15, 2013

SuvoMitra wrote:

I think we have a lot of misunderstanding because of the very high resolution. At 100% D7100 seems a little grainy...

It's amazing how many opinions are based on comparing at pixel level without considering differences in resolution. The method of side-by-side 100% crop comparisons may have been great in Phil Askey's days of cameras of similar sensor sizes and pixel count, but all it does now that there are so many sensor sizes, generations of sensor tech and resolutions all in the market at once, is confuse people no end.

You might think that people would really only care about how their images look (or can be made to look by PP)  in the output format(s) and viewing distances that interest them. It's just not like that.

Much truth to that but also note that zoomed in on a computer screen is the average output format today.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: Zoomed in the new print
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 15, 2013

Much truth to that but also note that zoomed in on a computer screen is the average output format today.

Welcome to XXI century. Today's format is 600*600 instagram.

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to rockjano, Apr 15, 2013

rockjano wrote:

Dear Novens2 please help me!

I am seriously considering to replace my trusty D300 with the D7100 but I am really full of Sigma lenses.

What lenses did you try and what did not work? And how they did not work?

I have 18-50 2,8, 50-150 2,8, 50 1,4, 30 1,4, 105 macro, 10-20 4,5-5,6, 150-500 OS

I know that sometimes even serial numbers could count a newer version from the same lens might work and older might not

I would be really greatful if you could help me!!!

Thanks

jano

I hope you don't mind that I am jumping in and answering your question, but the short answer is that if your Sigma lens was made after the introduction of the D7000, it should work fine with the D7100. Any lens that was made before the introduction of the D7000 will most likely need to be serviced by Sigma to to work properly with the D7000/D7100. If your Sigma lens works in Live View with your new camera, it should work in all other respects as well. I have to Sigma lenses that work just fine with my D7000, including in Live View.

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
SuvoMitra
Contributing MemberPosts: 796
Like?
Re: Zoomed in the new print
In reply to krikman, Apr 15, 2013

krikman wrote:

Welcome to XXI century. Today's format is 600*600 instagram.

So, the kids want to look at whole photos on handheld screens and miss out on scrutinising minute differences between 80 inch wide images sampled at close range on 24 inch monitors? They've gone to the dogs, I say.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads