Nikon FF v APS-C image comparison

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
bkpix
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
Nikon FF v APS-C image comparison
Apr 11, 2013

For an interesting comparison of image quality between similar 24-meg FF and crop cameras (D600 and D7100) take a look at this.

In comparing the two cameras, he finds virtually identical color and sharpness in low ISO images -- to his own surprise. The D600, as expected, has better high ISO image quality and shorter depth of field for the same aperture.

Yes, it's Ken Rockwell. Before the hand-wringing begins, let me just say I enjoy his common sense approach to many gear issues, though it does pay to read his site regularly enough to keep his enthusiasms in a reasonable perspective.

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,309Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon FF v APS-C image comparison
In reply to bkpix, Apr 11, 2013

cool thanks, i dont mind KR neither, this comparrision is why im not going ff have known this for 6 years , but people keep banning on about the advantages , not.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,329Gear list
Like?
In reply to Donald B, Apr 11, 2013

Yes why do they keep banging on, the MX1 is looking more attractive to me than FF.

As long as Pentax has the best APSc I'm very happy.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Tom Lusk
Contributing MemberPosts: 977
Like?

His "tests" are about as credible as RiceHigh's.

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 845Gear list
Like?

If I were to go FF, it would be entirely for the increased IQ at high ISO, this the one area where I am bumping into the limits of the K5, but then very low light photography is a personal interest/challenge.

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,521
Like?
Surprising?

bkpix wrote:

In comparing the two cameras, he finds virtually identical color and sharpness in low ISO images -- to his own surprise. The D600, as expected, has better high ISO image quality and shorter depth of field for the same aperture.

The only surprising thing is that he's surprised.  At (near enough) equal FOV and equal MP count it would be astonishing if sharpness wasn't equal: unless one of the lenses was visibly poorer than the other.  The nature of the colours from two same-generation sensors from the same maker would also be expected to be the same: there are probably differences in colour depth that can be measured but not seen in shots like these.

Those are the things you'd expect to be the same and they are.  The things you'd expect to be different are noise and DOF and - roll of drums - they are different.

Yes, it's Ken Rockwell. Before the hand-wringing begins, let me just say I enjoy his common sense approach to many gear issues, though it does pay to read his site regularly enough to keep his enthusiasms in a reasonable perspective.

Indeed.  It's a shame he gets carried away with his own rhetoric at times and I wish he'd mute the saturation of his photos; but when he talks about equipment he's usually pretty sensible.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,521
Like?

Donald B wrote:

cool thanks, i dont mind KR neither, this comparrision is why im not going ff have known this for 6 years , but people keep banging on about the advantages , not.

Don, this comparison shows two clear advantages for FF: lower noise and tighter control of DOF.  You might not want them and, at the price and size penalty, neither do I.  But that doesn't make people who do want them wrong.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Apr 12, 2013

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Donald B wrote:

cool thanks, i dont mind KR neither, this comparrision is why im not going ff have known this for 6 years , but people keep banging on about the advantages , not.

Don, this comparison shows two clear advantages for FF: lower noise and tighter control of DOF.  You might not want them and, at the price and size penalty, neither do I.  But that doesn't make people who do want them wrong.

Legitimate point to make Gerry and one too easily lost in the "noise" of discussion. I've been making the point in various posts of late that the difference that many photographers would see in their photographs after moving to full frame from APS-C would hardly warrant the expense of so doing. I think this comparison tends to bear that out.

But another point that could/should be made is that IF a FF & APS-C camera with similar features and functions were the same price, very few of us would stick with APS-C. So essentially the discussion really comes back to the cost of changeing to APS-C, which is likely to be more expensive and traumatic if one already has a substantial commitment in "crop" lenses. Starting from scratch would be less so. Perhaps one day in the future all sensors in DSLRs will be FF and anything smaller will be relegated to compacts and mobile phones. Maybe in 10 years time we'll all be taking photographs with our Google Glasses instead of traditional cameras. Who knows.

-- hide signature --

Mike M. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to bkpix, Apr 12, 2013

Hi,

Interesting, but actually predictable given the excellent light and same sensor resolution.  The noise comparison and DOF just confirm what we all know.

A couple of people have been critical of others' interest in FF.  I am interested in FF for more than the sake of sensor size......  One is pixel density, noise and the ability to source higher resolution sensors (for my main interest of landscape prints).  One is shallow DOF capability (though that's not a strong one for me). The other is the lack of TS lenses - there's nothing available for Pentax or ideal for APSC in any brand.  Before you all say 'well jump ship to Canon or Nikon FF', it's not that straightforward and certainly expensive.  I also happen to like my K5 for a lot of photography and its APSC advantage for tele lens work.

If I were to look at my overall gear preferences I'd have three cameras - a high grade compact, stay APSC for my DSLR, and buy FF only if I could afford and source a high grade small, WR FF MILC with a decent built-in EVF.  That would be a treat for landscape, hiking and travel.  I've got the first two.  If Pentax were to make an FF MILC, I'd probably be an early buyer.  You won't find me toting a large FF DSLR and fast mega zooms.   I suspect FF MILCs are just around the corner, so maybe it'll be possible within a year or two. I don't know if it'll be Pentax - Fuji and Sony are already looking at it.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
bkpix
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Apr 12, 2013

Rod,

That's interesting. I've been thinking for a while that my ideal version of full frame would be small and mirrorless. We need a FF K-02.

Bob

bkpix's gear list:bkpix's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,151Gear list
Like?
FF by default has *MORE* depth of field (DoF)

bkpix wrote:

For an interesting comparison of image quality between similar 24-meg FF and crop cameras (D600 and D7100) take a look at this.

It's a common mistake. Check the DoF calculator.

At a same focal length(*), same aperture and same distance, the DoF available to a FF camera is 50% longer. FF has more available DoF.

Say subject is 10 ft away, focal length is 55mm, aperture is f1.4. (we are using same DA*55 lens, that works on FF and APS-C)
An APS-C camera calculation:
Depth of field

• Near limit 9.73 ft
  • Far limit 10.3 ft
  • Total 0.56 ft 
  • In front of subject 0.27 ft (49%)
  • Behind subject 0.29 ft (51%)

An FF camera calculation:
Depth of field

• Near limit 9.6 ft
  • Far limit 10.4 ft
  • Total 0.84 ft 
  • In front of subject 0.4 ft (48%)
  • Behind subject 0.44 ft (52%)

0.84/0.56 = (voila!) 1.5

However, the OoF characteristics is different in an FF camera, producing an illusion that its DoF looks shallower, albeit it isn't.

(*) actual focal length written on a lens

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,787Gear list
Like?
It has less DOF for the same FOV, aperture and distance to subject
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Apr 12, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

bkpix wrote:

At a same focal length(*), same aperture and same distance, the DoF available to a FF camera is 50% longer. FF has more available DoF.

However, the OoF characteristics is different in an FF camera, producing an illusion that its DoF looks shallower, albeit it isn't.

(*) actual focal length written on a lens

Another common mistake:  assuming the same lens on both formats.  This would give you a radically different picture, with different FOV.  If you keep the angle of view the same (and the aperture and distance the same,) the FF shot has 1.3 stops less DOF.

Rockwell actually (gasp) got it right when he wrote:

"...

Analysis

As expected, the D600 has much smaller depth-of-field at the same aperture with a lens with the same angle-of-view."

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,329Gear list
Like?
Re: It has less DOF for the same FOV, aperture and distance to subject
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 12, 2013

Ditto to frame the subject the same you will be at 15 ft not 10 and bokeh less cluttered because of narrow crop factor.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
PK24X36NOW
Contributing MemberPosts: 801Gear list
Like?

bkpix wrote:

KR shoots nothing but JPEGs. Dumb things down enough (i.e., lossy image compression, 8-bit color, screen resolution) and all the differences seem trivial.

PK24X36NOW's gear list:PK24X36NOW's gear list
Nikon D810
moving_comfort
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 12, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Ditto to frame the subject the same you will be at 15 ft not 10 and bokeh less cluttered because of narrow crop factor.

If you use the same lens/FL on both formats.  (Usually it's assumed you simply are at the same position and use a different FL with your zoom, or use a different prime (ie 50mm FF vs 35mm aps-c)

-- hide signature --

Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,374Gear list
Like?
Who needs FF

Not exactly a surprising comparison, anything else would have baffled me.  This said, who needs FF ?  I don't mean who want FF, (I want FF) but really, who need the DoF, DR and Noise advantage ?  Does the average enthusiast  "really need" FF to have equal fun and satisfaction (you know, those who never sell a single image, and hardly print anything bigger than 10x14), or is it a figment of our desires, power of suggestion or the peer pressure ?  What I do know, is that the advantages it provides aren't worth $2500 to me (actually no camera in the world is worth that much to me, never mind FF !), but it's me and I can't generalize to others; I am therefore condemned to live with APS-C for a long time to come... life is so rough, I'll need to talk to my shrink about that to help me cope with the stress and anxiety

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
moving_comfort
Like?
KR: a cautionary tale
In reply to PK24X36NOW, Apr 12, 2013

PK24X36NOW wrote:

KR shoots nothing but JPEGs. Dumb things down enough (i.e., lossy image compression, 8-bit color, screen resolution) and all the differences seem trivial.

He's openly admitted that he slings a lot of hyperbole, leaves out the details and cranks the drama to get visitors.  He's also never afraid to contradict himself if it will get him hits

-- hide signature --

Rod McD
Like?
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 12, 2013

Hi,

Agree - the lens on FF has less DOF.  The same lens doesn't change - it doesn't know what size sensor is behind it.  But the calculators don't use the same formula for the two formats.  Quite apart from the FOV and distance changing for a given composition, the tables and calculators change their circle of confusion used in the calculation for FF and APSC.  (For a given print or screen image, the enlargement ratio is different for the two formats - APSC is blown up further so what is OOF appears OOF earlier to the viewer.)

Rod

Rod McD
Like?
Re: Don't jump to conclusions......
In reply to rogerstpierre, Apr 12, 2013

Hi,

Roger, a rhetorical question or two -  why don't you sell your APSC camera and buy a 16mpx compact?  Who needs APSC?

I think we need to be really careful of the argument that says "well it's only an X% increase in sensor size, the mpx are the same, so all this talk of IQ improvement is overrated, and it's not worth the expense".  If that were true, then it applies at smaller sensor sizes too.  You can easily imagine a Micro Four Thirds user using the same argument to say that he shouldn't go to APSC.  And then you can imagine a 1" user using the same argument to say that he shouldn't go to MFT (etc, etc). There is a wide and gradual range of sensor sizes (for any given mpx) and each is a modest step up from the last.  If you applied this argument at each step up, no increase in sensor size would be worth it - which is obviously absurd.  As a technology scales up, one sometimes has to be satisfied with incrementally smaller improvements, but perhaps they're still worth having.

To me, the question is exactly that - are they worth having?  Where do we individually set our preferences about resolution, enlargement, and print IQ?  There are only personal answers to this question - no right ones - and at least part of the reason for that is that we all have different desires, different budgets and different intentions for our photography.

This isn't new......I'm reminded about my film days.  Dedicated users of the best 35mm equipment would scoff at the concept of buying into medium format.  They would produce all sorts of arguments about their satisfaction with their large prints.  Leica owners would proudly say that they'd blown them up to six foot by four foot and they looked great.......  But none of it, except their own satisfaction with their own prints, was true.  Side by side, medium format won the IQ battle hands down.  And large format beat that hands down.  (Obviously this is for photography where all formats could be used - in my case landscape prints.  Larger formats certainly had their limitations eg poor for portability, sports and wildlife, exactly where 35mm had its strengths).

Plus, there may be other reasons for considering FF as I suggested in my earlier post in this thread.  (eg Higher resolution sensors of the same photosite density, better DR, DOF control, TS lenses, better VFs, etc).

It is all food for thought though......a good and timely discussion

Cheers,

Rod

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,260Gear list
Like?
Re: FF by default has *MORE* depth of field (DoF)
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Apr 12, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

bkpix wrote:

Say subject is 10 ft away, focal length is 55mm, aperture is f1.4. (we are using same DA*55 lens, that works on FF and APS-C

This is pointless, why would I compare two totally different images?  You really have to compare equivalent fields of view to be meaningful.

The advantage to full frame is 1 1/4 (rounded to 1 1/3) stop added flexibility.  That is useful to some not to others.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads