Rangefinder on the way....

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
drpoop
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
Rangefinder on the way....
Apr 11, 2013

43rumors admin has been hinting at the a-few-months-away GX2 being the best mFT to date... and a perfect camera (for him).

Comments section here - http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-lf1-high-end-compact-to-be-announced-in-late-april/#comments

There are many in the mFT community that have been waiting with baited breath for a rangefinder styled camera.

Will Panny do it first (for mFT that is)?

Are people really THAT excited about a rangefinder mFT camera?

drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,549Gear list
Like?
Oh goody....
In reply to drpoop, Apr 11, 2013

drpoop wrote:

Some are, but this now dyed-in-the-wool LCD user thinks that eyepieces are a waste of space.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Rangefinder on the way....

Yes. I won't buy an m43 without an evf.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Raskolnikow90
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

I think that a lot of MFT users (including me) hope for a high-level rangefinder shaped mft body with a corner evf. OMD without hump, GF1 with evf.
Its a disappointment that the leading mirrorless System isn't able (yet) to satisfy this demand.
There is the nex 6 and 7 and the fuji x-system, and MFT users got to wait.

Lets hope the gx2 and the pen p-5 will get a corner evf.

Raskolnikow90's gear list:Raskolnikow90's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Raskolnikow90, Apr 11, 2013

+1

F.

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?

I would be thrilled to purchase a rangefinder style body with built-in viewfinder.  Enough with the add-on EVF which gets snagged on everything and increases the footprint of an otherwise small body.  If the new GX is such a camera, my order will be in immediately.  If not, well, they can keep it.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, Apr 11, 2013

FrankS009 wrote:

+1

F.

The problem with built in EVFs is that there fixed and can`t be tilted, the GF range can`t even take them now.

At least with the Pens your given a choice.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Chatokun
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 11, 2013

While I enjoyed the tilt feature on my GX1, most of my shots, unless on the tripod, were direct shots. I also love the EVF on my OMD. I simply use the screen for tilts. A rangefinder with built in EVF would be very nice, though I agree it probably wouldn't have a tilt screen and would therefore be a bit limited. However, I doubt that would cause much issue for many of us, as we probably mostly use straight instead of tilt.

Chatokun's gear list:Chatokun's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
pegasus1457
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?
In reply to Raskolnikow90, Apr 11, 2013

The problem with a corner EVF is that many people have a favored eye, often due to vision problems in the other eye.

The corner EVF placement would make such a camera very uncomfortable for these folks...

Raskolnikow90 wrote:

I think that a lot of MFT users (including me) hope for a high-level rangefinder shaped mft body with a corner evf. OMD without hump, GF1 with evf....

Lets hope the gx2 and the pen p-5 will get a corner evf.

Alumna Gorp
Like?
In reply to Chatokun, Apr 12, 2013

Chatokun wrote:

While I enjoyed the tilt feature on my GX1, most of my shots, unless on the tripod, were direct shots. I also love the EVF on my OMD. I simply use the screen for tilts. A rangefinder with built in EVF would be very nice, though I agree it probably wouldn't have a tilt screen and would therefore be a bit limited. However, I doubt that would cause much issue for many of us, as we probably mostly use straight instead of tilt.

Its possible to attach the Pen EVFs to the OMD for waist level use

I think the next GX will be getting a tilting screen like the new GF.

Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
JGRJR
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
In reply to drpoop, Apr 12, 2013

I do not think people are carefully reading the rumor, and it is only a rumor. The rumor is that Panasonic will release two cameras at the end of April. A new G6 and a camera called the LF1. The new camera mentioned seems to be a high end compact with a fixed zoom lens. Maybe related to the LX7? Panasonic was criticized for not including a larger sensor in the LX7 like the Sony RX1.

Still no good rumors on the GX2. Like a lot of others I would prefer a built in EVF.

JGRJR's gear list:JGRJR's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R +2 more
shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
In reply to JGRJR, Apr 12, 2013

If the GX2 comes with a corner EVF / tilt screen, you're looking at a bigger/thicker body (look what they did to the GF6... that tilt screen is hideous!)

And if the G6 is as predicted (GH3 sensor), then why bother with a GX2 as G6 prices will have dropped to reasonable levels then.

The problem with the GX1 (an awesome camera, I own one myself!) is that it was priced too high (v G3, which had an EVF) for not enough features (v G5, which had full HD video etc.)

Panasonic just wanted to sell us the LVF2 (like they tried with the LVF1 on the GF1... which should really be renamed the GX0!) It makes huge business sense to have no EVF... and sell one at a premium!

Alumna Gorp
Like?

JGRJR wrote:

I do not think people are carefully reading the rumor, and it is only a rumor. The rumor is that Panasonic will release two cameras at the end of April. A new G6 and a camera called the LF1. The new camera mentioned seems to be a high end compact with a fixed zoom lens. Maybe related to the LX7? Panasonic was criticized for not including a larger sensor in the LX7 like the Sony RX1.

Still no good rumors on the GX2. Like a lot of others I would prefer a built in EVF.

I`m thinking this LF1 will be a cut down version of the LX range and more compact.

A bit like the Olympus with the XZ-2 and XZ-10.

RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?

JGRJR wrote:

I think the reference is not in the rumour itself but in the comments underneath:

admin21 hours ago | Reply

No, the prefect camera for me is coming in a few months

• Admin: OMD-Pro?

21 hours ago | ReplyMarcoSartoriPhoto
    • nope…a Panasonic. More about it soon on 43rumors. All I can say..it’s the best MFT ever

21 hours ago | Replyadmin
 RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
OM User
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Re: Rangefinder on the way....evf a must
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 12, 2013

As someone who requires reading glasses I find the use of a dioptre corrected evf (or ovf) essentail in a camera. Even at arms length I find it difficult to check the LCD to see if a picture is in perfect focus or to change menu settings. When I am out and about (think tourist) I don't want to keep having to put my glasses on to take a picture. I'm probbaly not the only one who thinks the same.

I see no reason why a corner evf should not be tiltable, even 45 degress would make a lot of difference. By the same reasoning I don't need a tiltable rear screen as I don't use it to take pictures - only to view them with my reading glasses on when I can just as well tilt the camera.

A small tiltable corner evf and a fixed screen would make for a very compact body.

OM User's gear list:OM User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?

Good to know. I wonder why it is a fixed zoom lens, the LF1.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Raskolnikow90
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 12, 2013

I think its a nice move from panasonic. They go for the sony rs100, but with an evf...

The enthusiast big sensor fixed non zoom lens market is allready crowded by options: fuji x100s, nikon A, pentax...

An lx with a big sensor and evf... and hopefully later the same in amft body , as fuji did with the x100 and then the x-pro. Let's cross fingers... what RickPick posted sounds promising!

Raskolnikow90's gear list:Raskolnikow90's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,139Gear list
Like?
No builtin EVF = No Sale

drpoop wrote:

43rumors admin has been hinting at the a-few-months-away GX2 being the best mFT to date... and a perfect camera (for him).

If the GX2 has a builtin EVF, I will buy it.  No builtin EVF and I will pass on Panasonic and stay with my NEX-6.

Comments section here - http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-lf1-high-end-compact-to-be-announced-in-late-april/#comments

That references a rumored 'Compact' with a FIXED zoom lens.  Comments aren't even rumors, just wishful thinking.

There are many in the mFT community that have been waiting with baited breath for a rangefinder styled camera.

Will Panny do it first (for mFT that is)?

Yes... ABSOLUTELY.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +36 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,094
Like?
In reply to pegasus1457, Apr 12, 2013

pegasus1457 wrote:

The problem with a corner EVF is that many people have a favored eye, often due to vision problems in the other eye.

The corner EVF placement would make such a camera very uncomfortable for these folks...

This argument keeps surfacing, but IMHO it's bogus.   People manage just fine with centre-mounted EVFs, despite the fact that their noses press against the camera.   What is it about a corner-mounted EVF that will make it any less comfortable?

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,094
Like?

drpoop wrote:

He hasn't called it a GX2, he hasn't said it has an EVF, and he hasn't given it the credence of an officially published rumour.   I wouldn't get too excited about it just yet...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads