Would you buy D7100 again?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
leerob
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
Would you buy D7100 again?
Apr 11, 2013

Sorry, if it has been asked before. I'm thinking to upgrade my D300. Is image quality that much better in D7100?

I'm hedging, because I read here some bad stories and experiences with this camera.

Thanks for now.

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,753Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you buy D7100 again?
In reply to leerob, Apr 11, 2013

Might want to give people more than a week to decide if the camera is worthwhile before you ask that question. It's really hard to come to a decision on a camera in such a short time. It takes me at least a month to really get a feel for any camera before I decide how much I like it.

I think with any new release you're going to hear the horror stories, but a lot of that is overblown, a good deal is people unfamiliar with photography, or at least on this level. I recently met someone who bought a D600. The only way he was shooting it was using Live View and holding it out at arms length.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to herbymel, Apr 11, 2013

I've had the camera since 3/18, and shot mostly drifting and dogs, though also some landscape and product pics.  Had the D7000 before.

Would I buy the D7100 again?

I'd buy a second one if I had the money!  24MP and no low pass filter are a sight to behold, provided you have quality lenses to take advantage of them, and are patient enough to fine tune those lenses.  The camera is sharper, faster, and has more accurate colors and more dynamic range than the D7000.  Sure, it may not be a huge leap in high ISO noise (some say even a step backwards... somehow), but the grain pattern is more consistent and color noise more subdued.  Not to mention, being able to resize 24MP instead of 16MP creates its own noise reduction through interpolation.  Also, the ability to crop deep into  low ISO pics is invaluable for me when shooting sports.  Not to mention the improved AF and crop mode (if absolutely necessary). Lots of other little improvements here and there, but those stand out the most.From the first shot I took with the camera, I was in love with its rendering.

The only negative would be banding when you push the shadows too far.  They almost disappear when resizing, and are all but invisible at standard web size   I'll be doing some profiling with Neat Image this weekend, so that should be able to remove the pattern noise, though who knows how it will affect the detail.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,753Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 11, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I've had the camera since 3/18, and shot mostly drifting and dogs, though also some landscape and product pics.  Had the D7000 before.

Would I buy the D7100 again?

I'd buy a second one if I had the money!  24MP

I thought you were going to buy the second one for me 

mac_no1
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?

I've only had the D7100 for just over 5 days and already I'm very impressed but obviously still on a steep learning curve, especially moving from a Pentax K5 IIs. You might ask why I moved to Nikon and thats a good question:-

1. The Pentax K5 IIs is a great camera, as was the K5 I had before it. But I just never felt I was comfortable with it and had to work hard to get it to perform the way I wanted it too.

2. I've had a Canon 5D MkII, and a 7D and whilst great cameras they didn't produce image quality to match what I found with the K5. Not just me but other users noted the same on various forums.

3. Heard so much about Nikon D7100 and I thought I'd give it a try whilst keeping the Pentax K5 IIs to compare and then decide which to keep.

Even now after only a few days I'm much more happy with the way the D7100 works, feels and the quality of the images. Not to say that the K5 IIs is in any way inferior its not. I just feel me and the D7100 are getting along perfectly, it just feels so right and is not hard to get it to work well for me. Ok, some of the images I've captured aren't spot on but I'm still learning the new Nikon system.

I bought the D7100 with the 18-105mm lens as a kit knowing I'd put the 18-105mm lens to one side and buy other glass. So my final purchases were the 16-85mm and 70-300mm VR lenses and that is going to be my all purpose kit for now. I may add a couple of primes later if I feel the need. All I can say is the two new lenses are amazing, even in the crappy British dull weather, which is worse than ever this year. Supposed to be Spring yet still like Winter!!! Can't wait for some sunshine and blue skies.

So in answer to your question, would I buy a D7100 again?......most definately YES but only with the lenses I've purchased with it, and obviously along with any primes that may prove useful later.

mac_no1's gear list:mac_no1's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +1 more
Iain G Foulds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,225
Like?

Definitely. For a well cropped photo, hand-held, without sharpening, I am delighted.

woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
In reply to mac_no1, Apr 11, 2013

I upgraded from a D700 to a D7100 because I want a DX sensor camera for sports (I also have a couple of full frame cameras, but at my age, having the extra reach with a hand-holdable lens is important).

Based on both test photos and a couple of my grandson's lacrosse matches, the auto-focus is much more responsive than the D7000).  However, like my D800, the quality of the lens can become an issue.  When I shoot with my Nikon 70-200 VRII, and my Nikon 300 f4, images are usually quite good.  Even if fine tuned, images with my 18-200 are often a little soft.

Great camera - but the sensor is very demanding for good technique and lens sharpness...

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4s +14 more
leerob
Like?
In reply to woodsfortysix, Apr 12, 2013

18-200 is my main lens on D300. I don't like to carry a lot of stuff anymore.

Minnesota_Steve
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
In reply to leerob, Apr 12, 2013

You betcha!  Planning on a second one.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Minnesota_Steve's gear list:Minnesota_Steve's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +8 more
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,852
Like?
How much worse is the k5lls?
In reply to mac_no1, Apr 12, 2013

In terms of AF, detail, noise ? I know the k5lls has a faster framerate and more frames fitting in it's buffer, but do you miss this on the d7100?

Lock

woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?

I also used my 18-200 a lot on my D7000 - still a good lens, but just not as sharp as something like my 70-200.

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4s +14 more
mac_no1
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: How much worse is the k5lls?
In reply to lock, Apr 12, 2013

lock wrote:

In terms of AF, detail, noise ? I know the k5lls has a faster framerate and more frames fitting in it's buffer, but do you miss this on the d7100?

Lock

No don't find it to be an issue, if anything I'm achieving more accurate focusing, better exposed images that need little if any pp in lightroom (unlike the K5 IIs - not that much was needed with this camera either).

The only slight issue and this is only minor, is the D7100vis slightly bigger, good for my hands but not for my camera case

Oh and one thing I find slightly more awkward is changing lenses as the release button is on the opposite side to that on the K5 IIs. I'm sure it will get easier to cope with in time and I don't intend changing lenses every two minutes.

mac_no1's gear list:mac_no1's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +1 more
leerob
Like?
In reply to woodsfortysix, Apr 12, 2013

I had my 18-200 lens re-done by Nikon and since then it's tack sharp after calibration on my D300.

depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?

leerob wrote:

I had my 18-200 lens re-done by Nikon and since then it's tack sharp after calibration on my D300.

am interested in this -- what do you mean by "redone"? i have an 18-200 i've shot for, what, five and a half years now on my D-200s ("s" meaning plural, not a sub-model of the D-200), and having ordered a D-7100 and hearing various comments, in my estimation trustworthy, that the 18-200 won't cut it on this camera, i'm eager to hear of a procedure that would tune it up.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
BradM73
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
In reply to depscribe, Apr 12, 2013

I'd buy it again and I'd buy a second one if I had the money.  I'm trying to sell my D7000 right now.  Just sent it off for one last focus adjustment and full cleaning before I sell it.

I got my D7100 on launch day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaFssY5kZc) and shoot with it quite often.  So far I love it!  Even though I had a D7000, the 7000 never worked the way I wanted it to.  It was a great camera, but there has always been something "off" about it.  I've not experienced anything like that with the D7100.  It seems as tack-sharp as my D70 was years ago.  I cannot express how pleased I am with this camera so far!  It's just awesome!  If you have the money, GO BUY ONE NOW!!  There is no reason not to.

leerob
Like?

re-done means Nikon changed all worm drives, etc So, basically it's a new lens now

I meant fine tune a lens focus in the camera.

engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,410Gear list
Like?

d7100 w new 80-400 af-s

Yes!!

This was taken yesterday.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/bertramm
pbase & dpreview supporter

Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
In reply to mac_no1, Apr 12, 2013

mac_no1 wrote:

So my final purchases were the 16-85mm and 70-300mm VR

That sounds like the perfect travel kit. How are you liking the 16-85? I've used the 70-300 a lot, so I know it's a good lens.

-Kelly

depscribe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?

leerob wrote:

re-done means Nikon changed all worm drives, etc So, basically it's a new lens now

I meant fine tune a lens focus in the camera.

I've seen reference to focus fine-tuning but the only site I saw that went into any detail involved perching a notebook computer across the hard at night and focusing on its LCD. Which seemed a little odd. What's the preferred method -- just take a loupe, focus on a window screen or something, and pushing buttons until it's sharpest -- alternately, focusing on the twigs on trees a half-mile away? I like and appreciate the idea, but the execution seems a tad awkward.

-- hide signature --
 depscribe's gear list:depscribe's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100
leerob
Like?

Look on youtube for fine tuning videos. there is "dot tuning" method, which I didn't try yet

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads