Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,820Gear list
Like?
if only!!!!
Apr 11, 2013

pc

-- hide signature --

`its good to step outside your comfort zone occasionally, but is nicer to step back into it` PC.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,171
Like?
Re: if only!!!!
In reply to meagre offerings, Apr 11, 2013

Nice balance of the elements and of the colours in the picture. Also, nice contrast between the image and the person on the bench. Overall, a very good image.

But, I do not get the title....

D

nikonFboy wrote:

pc

-- hide signature --

`its good to step outside your comfort zone occasionally, but is nicer to step back into it` PC.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meagre offerings
Like?
In reply to Daedalus2000, Apr 11, 2013

Nice balance of the elements and of the colours in the picture. Also, nice contrast between the image and the person on the bench. Overall, a very good image.

D

nikonFboy wrote:

pc

-- hide signature --

I can not help you D

pc
--

Daedalus2000
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

D

nikonFboy wrote:

pc

-- hide signature --

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

meagre offerings
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

D

nikonFboy wrote:

pc

-- hide signature --

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help, I know I am LOL.

the guy looks to be on his phone, maybe texting a girl, maybe one not as nice as on the poster.

who knows
pc
--

Daedalus2000
Like?

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help,

I think you are right!

the guy looks to be on his phone, maybe texting a girl, maybe one not as nice as on the poster.

I think a semiotic analysis of your picture will uncover more subtle, but still powerful, interpretations.

The combination of conditionality, exclusion, uncertainty, and the four exclamation marks in your title confused me...

D

meagre offerings
Like?

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help,

I think you are right!

I think a semiotic analysis of your picture will uncover more subtle, but still powerful, interpretations.

The combination of conditionality, exclusion, uncertainty, and the four exclamation marks in your title confused me...

D

its a bad habit of mine, i have a fetish for exclamation marks, always have.

i had to look up `semiotic` in the dictionary lol.

anyone can interpretate the image however they want, but i just saw a guy on his phone and a girl on a poster, and thought, this might work. i didnt stand on the opposite platform thinking about uncertainty, exclusion and conditionality, i saw the image, i took the shot.

its really that simple for me, this may make me a lesser photographer in some peoples eyes, than someone who can cover their images with fancy words, flowery explanations and pretentious meanings.

but i am pleased that you like the image, it means a lot to me.

pc

-- hide signature --

Edward48
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,215
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

...I saw the image, i took the shot.

...its really that simple for me, this may make me a lesser photographer in some peoples eyes, than someone who can cover their images with fancy words, flowery explanations and pretentious meanings.

I think it probably is for most of us Paul. Certainly is for me. I've been in the creative environment all my working life, and I can tell you that there is an awful lot of post rationalising and waffle that goes on. Always has been.

I'd like to think the fellow on the station really did have her number.
I like the shot and the idea.

All the best
Mike

Daedalus2000
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help,

I think you are right!

D

anyone can interpretate the image however they want, but i just saw a guy on his phone and a girl on a poster, and thought, this might work. i didnt stand on the opposite platform thinking about uncertainty, exclusion and conditionality, i saw the image, i took the shot.

its really that simple for me, this may make me a lesser photographer in some peoples eyes, than someone who can cover their images with fancy words, flowery explanations and pretentious meanings.

pc

-- hide signature --

I am sure you understood my humour.

I made a joke (the last sentence was really a joke) about the title because I think that some of your images really carry more "meaning" than the title can convey. Someone once said in this forum that we should not have titles in our images, and I start to agree. Sometimes the addition of a language hint can enhance an image, sometimes it can stop the viewer seeing more. And the exclamation marks I believe are your way of giving emphasis to your message, but the viewer may interpret it as excitement, which may not apply to the image. Everything you have in an image and everything you say about it carries a message (through symbols), and that is where semiotics come in. Misha for example wants to be vague about the message, maybe because he wants us to find our own meaning to his pictures....

Anyway, to go back to your image, please let me share some of my thoughts about it.

You say that you are pleased that I like the image. I agree, getting the visual aspect of an image right is important, but surely we want more from an image, and I believe your recent work shows that you search for more.

The visual reading of an image is (for me) a first step and you have succeeded greatly here. The colours mix wonderfully, the composition has nice geometry etc. But I think there is more. I see a great contrast between the world the advertisers want to "sell" us and the actual life. I see a great contrast between the beautiful female and the ordinary male. I see the contrast between the "interesting" life at the beach and the ordinary life of texting our wife to see what is for dinner. I also see the aesthetics of a modern station. I see something about loneliness.... In general, I see something interesting about modern life and society.... This message combined with a good visual composition makes an image much more interesting.

I hope you do not find the above pretentious. I mean them. No jokes this time.

Best, D

Daedalus2000
Like?
In reply to Edward48, Apr 11, 2013

Edward48 wrote:

nikonFboy wrote:

...I saw the image, i took the shot.

...its really that simple for me, this may make me a lesser photographer in some peoples eyes, than someone who can cover their images with fancy words, flowery explanations and pretentious meanings.

I think it probably is for most of us Paul. Certainly is for me. I've been in the creative environment all my working life, and I can tell you that there is an awful lot of post rationalising and waffle that goes on. Always has been.

I'd like to think the fellow on the station really did have her number.
I like the shot and the idea.

All the best
Mike

I would be interested to hear your views about the last message I wrote to Paul, where I am not joking.

Do you really think that an image is only about the visual aspect of it? I find it difficult to accept this. Is there not more about it?

Also, I do not think that it follows (logically) that because there is a lot of invalid (waffle) post-analysis of images, we should not try to analyse images....

Best, D

PS. I agree with your about the weather (your comment in another post). It makes me feel very down.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 526
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

pc

-- hide signature --

Semiotics is powerful stuff.  It's how we interpret the world through our 'cultural glasses.'  It would behoove every photographer to study semiotics (and it's required in most all graduate photo programs at university.)

"Anyone can interpret the image however they want."  Yes, indeed they can.  And they will. It's up to the author of the image to get them to interpret it in the way the author intended otherwise photography is simply an exercise in randomness.  Which it is not.  It is a conscientious act.

Appending a title to an image is forcing the viewer to interpret the image in respect to the title.  It's why newspapers always have captions to their photographs, so the viewer gets the point.  Otherwise it's a free-for-all depending on the viewer's own world view.

Photography is a difficult medium. On one hand, it's a mechanical realistic copy of the world.  On the other hand it's also a complete fabrication made up by the author based on the author's intent (using a multitude of tools at their disposal including framing and other such choices.)

People should practice recording the world conscientiously and ask themselves why are they even making a particular image in the first place.  And of what value that might be for the viewer.  Or make images in a vacuum and never show them to anyone.

Daedalus2000
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 11, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

nikonFboy wrote:

pc

-- hide signature --

Semiotics is powerful stuff.  It's how we interpret the world through our 'cultural glasses.'  It would behoove every photographer to study semiotics (and it's required in most all graduate photo programs at university.)

"Anyone can interpret the image however they want."  Yes, indeed they can.  And they will. It's up to the author of the image to get them to interpret it in the way the author intended otherwise photography is simply an exercise in randomness.  Which it is not.  It is a conscientious act.

Appending a title to an image is forcing the viewer to interpret the image in respect to the title.  It's why newspapers always have captions to their photographs, so the viewer gets the point.  Otherwise it's a free-for-all depending on the viewer's own world view.

Photography is a difficult medium. On one hand, it's a mechanical realistic copy of the world.  On the other hand it's also a complete fabrication made up by the author based on the author's intent (using a multitude of tools at their disposal including framing and other such choices.)

People should practice recording the world conscientiously and ask themselves why are they even making a particular image in the first place.  And of what value that might be for the viewer.  Or make images in a vacuum and never show them to anyone.

Thank you for this post. My own thoughts are not driven by knowledge, but more from genuine interest/curiosity in photography as art, so it is good to hear from others who know a lot more.

D

meagre offerings
Like?

Daedalus2000 wrote:

nikonFboy wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help,

I think you are right!

D

pc

-- hide signature --

I made a joke (the last sentence was really a joke) about the title because I think that some of your images really carry more "meaning" than the title can convey. Someone once said in this forum that we should not have titles in our images, and I start to agree. Sometimes the addition of a language hint can enhance an image, sometimes it can stop the viewer seeing more. And the exclamation marks I believe are your way of giving emphasis to your message, but the viewer may interpret it as excitement, which may not apply to the image. Everything you have in an image and everything you say about it carries a message (through symbols), and that is where semiotics come in. Misha for example wants to be vague about the message, maybe because he wants us to find our own meaning to his pictures....

Anyway, to go back to your image, please let me share some of my thoughts about it.

You say that you are pleased that I like the image. I agree, getting the visual aspect of an image right is important, but surely we want more from an image, and I believe your recent work shows that you search for more.

The visual reading of an image is (for me) a first step and you have succeeded greatly here. The colours mix wonderfully, the composition has nice geometry etc. But I think there is more. I see a great contrast between the world the advertisers want to "sell" us and the actual life. I see a great contrast between the beautiful female and the ordinary male. I see the contrast between the "interesting" life at the beach and the ordinary life of texting our wife to see what is for dinner. I also see the aesthetics of a modern station. I see something about loneliness.... In general, I see something interesting about modern life and society.... This message combined with a good visual composition makes an image much more interesting.

Best, D

i think i will just start naming my images `meagre offerings` 1,2,3 etc.

everything you have said about this image, nice contrasting colours, a line of yellow on the diagonal, a beautiful female/ordinary man, beach/tram station, loneliness on a empty platform etc etc, is what i saw when i walked up the steps onto the platform opposite. i saw it, i took the shot, there really isnt much more to it for me. i obviously see more once the image is up on the laptop, but sometimes there are things that i didnt see at the time of capture staring me in the face, and other times the image looks crap so i bin it.

im happy for all the people who can talk away in `photography speak` and convey what they mean in this language, i may just be a bit thick, but i see what i see and thats what i see, i cant/dont/wont even try and get involved in this side of photography. if it means i cant talk on a even level with some, then so be it. so i will just have to try harder and let my `meagre offerings` do the talking for me.

pc

-- hide signature --

Daedalus2000
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

nikonFboy wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help,

I think you are right!

D

pc

-- hide signature --

Best, D

everything you have said about this image, nice contrasting colours, a line of yellow on the diagonal, a beautiful female/ordinary man, beach/tram station, loneliness on a empty platform etc etc, is what i saw when i walked up the steps onto the platform opposite. i saw it, i took the shot, there really isnt much more to it for me. i obviously see more once the image is up on the laptop, but sometimes there are things that i didnt see at the time of capture staring me in the face, and other times the image looks crap so i bin it.

im happy for all the people who can talk away in `photography speak` and convey what they mean in this language, i may just be a bit thick, but i see what i see and thats what i see, i cant/dont/wont even try and get involved in this side of photography. if it means i cant talk on a even level with some, then so be it. so i will just have to try harder and let my `meagre offerings` do the talking for me.

pc

Thanks for your response. It is interesting that you say you saw exactly what I saw, although you did not tell us about it in your first post. So in a way you communicated your vision well.

Unfortunately, I also see that somehow my effort to discuss your image has been characterised as some sort of pseudo-intellectual effort and you very clearly state that you are not interested in such discussions. Fine, no problem with me, let's reduce taking photographs to diagonals, colour, contrast,  reflections, etc etc

Hope to see more images from you soon, and I will keep my responses to an appreciation of the visual qualities of your images and nothing more. I promise.

Best, D

meagre offerings
Like?

nikonFboy wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

nikonFboy wrote:

Daedalus2000 wrote:

I can not help you D

pc
--

Who can?

you may be past help,

I think you are right!

D

pc

-- hide signature --

Best, D

pc

Thanks for your response. It is interesting that you say you saw exactly what I saw, although you did not tell us about it in your first post. So in a way you communicated your vision well.

Unfortunately, I also see that somehow my effort to discuss your image has been characterised as some sort of pseudo-intellectual effort and you very clearly state that you are not interested in such discussions. Fine, no problem with me, let's reduce taking photographs to diagonals, colour, contrast,  reflections, etc etc

Hope to see more images from you soon, and I will keep my responses to an appreciation of the visual qualities of your images and nothing more. I promise.

Best, D

hi D

you seem to be a little off on your last message.
I can't wax lyrical about photography, I can't wax lyrical about the music I like, its just not me. its not a case of not wanting to discuss this image, there's just nothing to say from my point of view. I wouldn't know what to say, I either like a image or I don't, but there will be reasons why I do or don't like the image, but I can't convey the reasons in flowery terms.
you seem to be well within your comfort zone when talking about images, sadly I'm nowhere near to your level.

pc
--

Daedalus2000
Like?

hi D

you seem to be a little off on your last message.
I can't wax lyrical about photography, I can't wax lyrical about the music I like, its just not me. its not a case of not wanting to discuss this image, there's just nothing to say from my point of view. I wouldn't know what to say, I either like a image or I don't, but there will be reasons why I do or don't like the image, but I can't convey the reasons in flowery terms.
you seem to be well within your comfort zone when talking about images, sadly I'm nowhere near to your level.

pc
--

Hi Paul,

Apologies if my last message came a bit off. I am very tired today and as you know communicating over the internet is a bit difficult. I interpreted your messages (and Mike's) as discouraging me discussing any images further and I was a bit disappointed, that is all.

Now, one thing you should know about me is that talking about these things is definitely not my comfort zone as I know little about photography. That is why discussing why we like images is interesting to me. I hate it if I do not understand why I like something.. Strange, isn't it?

Best, D

Paul20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,870Gear list
Like?

Neat shot Paul, simple, tightly composed and funny.

The other Paul
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47134895@N05/

Paul20's gear list:Paul20's gear list
Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH
DavidGBK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062
Like?
Re: Any suggestions...
In reply to Fogsville, Apr 12, 2013

..for a good book on Semiotics for photographers?

I am often very frustrated at my inability to express properly in words why I like a particular image.

For example "If only!!!" is an excellent image and one that appeals to me but I am struggling on how to say this.

Often I do not think it is fair to comment "nice pic" when the image deserves a fuller response, some of us use this so often that I think it really has no meaning and is devalued.

Daedalus2000 described what I was feeling about this image and I was kicking my self saying "yes, exactly"; why could I not express this.

I think part of it is practise; deliberately trying to articulate why we like or dislike an image.

Anyway; any suggestions on a good intorductory book gratefully received.

I like to read

Regards

David

Carl Ibbet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, Apr 12, 2013

Love the shot, but to convey the title more strongly it may have helped to crop the photo on the right to just after the edge of the poster, not even including the second light on the right... I think you'll get a shot the with a natural divide(the pillar) and it should look like they are more apart, maybe even worlds apart(in many different ways?)
Just an idea
All the best Carl
--
Carpe diem, or Seize the day.. ...with a photo or two - there's no better way.

http://carlcam5.smugmug.com/photos/671218725_vz4aN-Ti.jpg

http://carlcam5.smugmug.com/

meagre offerings
Like?
In reply to Carl Ibbet, Apr 12, 2013

Love the shot, but to convey the title more strongly it may have helped to crop the photo on the right to just after the edge of the poster, not even including the second light on the right... I think you'll get a shot the with a natural divide(the pillar) and it should look like they are more apart, maybe even worlds apart(in many different ways?)
Just an idea
All the best Carl
--
Carpe diem, or Seize the day.. ...with a photo or two - there's no better way.

http://carlcam5.smugmug.com/photos/671218725_vz4aN-Ti.jpg

http://carlcam5.smugmug.com/

hi Carl

what you suggest is very nearly what I posted, if there had been a little more of a gap between the poster edge and the strip light I would have gone for it. as it was it looked unbalanced cropping to the edge of the poster and I didn't like just part of the strip light being in the frame. when I decided to put all the strip light in the image I thought the yellow barrier helped to balance it up, as I could appreciate the yellow diagonal it then showed.

thanks for the comments.

pc
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads