neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,544Gear list
Like?
Q as a telephoto camera
In reply to SRT201, Apr 12, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

Will that small appeal wear off when the sacrifice in IQ becomes more apparent?

For people who DO just treat it as a point and shoot, in a lot of cases, probably.

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

It is a LOT better at low light than most give it credit for.....and especially if you put good fast lenses on it.

That's the issue then really.  If I am tempted by the "the lens is basically free" pricing and pick it up for "when I need a really small camera" which I can't say is often, then it may be a waste.  I usually go for the best IQ I can get so I imagine myself getting disenchanted comparing it to the K-5 or K-01.

I suppose for unique long tele work or extreme macro with an adapter it would indeed be cool but again the sacrifice in IQ might eventually cause my enthusiasm wear off.

The Q can have postive advantages for telephoto.

While it is just plain fun to stick just about any lens on it for telephoto shots, most lenses give you something that you can do better for not THAT much money with larger sensors.

The area it shines in, in my opinion, is in providing angle of view of longer lenses at apertures that are simply not made.

As an example, a 85mm 1.4 (or my 85 1.2) will give aprox 480mm angle of view.   If the Q was 2 stops behind current apsc dslrs for low light, at 480mm 1.4 you would have 4 stops shutter speed over most lenses that could get that reach.   ISO 1600 on the Q is very useable (and higher can be ok too).....so if you are at iso 1600, 1/100, 85mm and 1.4 on the Q....what are you going to be using on other camera/lens combinations?

It would be interesting to see what people would use instead.

Even $10,000 super teles are not near 1.2 in terms of shutter speeds.    It will not be the absolute IQ of larger sensor cameras and much more expensive lenses but it is not bad...and also those lenses on the Q will focus to their minimum focus distance (much shorter than the same angle of view on larger).

Then of course you can put those $10,000 super teles on the Q if you want!

Lenses that i think the Q would be great with include

Canon Fd 85 1.2L

any fast 50 1.2 or 1.4 (to a lesser extent)...would love to try a FD 50 1.2L

Nikon 105 f2 DC and 135 f2 DC

Canon FD 200 1.8 or Nikon 200 f2 AIS

Some of the longer leica aspherical lenses.

If you have some of those, a Q for its current price would be a no barainer to me.

I don't do street photography so the unobtrusive angle isn't really important to me.

I don't know that I want to invest in a whole little system and the fast prime is all but impossible to find now.

It looks really cool but I don't want to waste money - even BestBuy money.  My kids would love it to be sure.  

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,772Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)
In reply to SRT201, Apr 12, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

- I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount

I concur.

- Supertele results with the Q are not better than adding a TC, or even two, to my K-01 and DA*300. I bought a Carry Speed VF-3 yesterday to improve usability of the K-01.

WISH I had that lens.  Nice!

I have that VF-3 on my list.

- I don't need more choices of which camera to bring, which lenses to pack, second guess, change my mind at the last minute, forget something I need.

Totally agree.  Gear paralysis is problem that grows with your collection.

- Size is the only real advantage of the Q, the K-01 beats it in every other way. Best use what I already have. I have a fanny pack that will fit the K-01 with DA 40 mounted. I have a small shoulder bag that will carry a K-01 with lens mounted and a small prime. I will look for a small belt case today that will carry the K-01 with FA 35, because that's my main lens. Then I won't have any reason not to pack a camera, and no further reason to buy a small sensored camera.

I love my K-01 as well and with the DA 40 it is very compact.

But damn, that Q with 8.5mm is cool.

No two ways about it but the 8.5 is pretty much ruled out unless I want to pay $800 for the two lens kit!

Check the Pentax Compact Forum, Ron just posted info that KEH had a couple Q kits with prime lens for around $260 and you could always use the BB card for an 06 lens or something.

You really can't think of the Q as a K-01 or something, they are very different.  Even vs other enthusiast point and shoots it is different.  Hard to explain

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,772Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 12, 2013

viking79 wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

- I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount

I concur.

- Supertele results with the Q are not better than adding a TC, or even two, to my K-01 and DA*300. I bought a Carry Speed VF-3 yesterday to improve usability of the K-01.

WISH I had that lens.  Nice!

I have that VF-3 on my list.

- I don't need more choices of which camera to bring, which lenses to pack, second guess, change my mind at the last minute, forget something I need.

Totally agree.  Gear paralysis is problem that grows with your collection.

- Size is the only real advantage of the Q, the K-01 beats it in every other way. Best use what I already have. I have a fanny pack that will fit the K-01 with DA 40 mounted. I have a small shoulder bag that will carry a K-01 with lens mounted and a small prime. I will look for a small belt case today that will carry the K-01 with FA 35, because that's my main lens. Then I won't have any reason not to pack a camera, and no further reason to buy a small sensored camera.

I love my K-01 as well and with the DA 40 it is very compact.

But damn, that Q with 8.5mm is cool.

No two ways about it but the 8.5 is pretty much ruled out unless I want to pay $800 for the two lens kit!

Check the Pentax Compact Forum, Ron just posted info that KEH had a couple Q kits with prime lens for around $260 and you could always use the BB card for an 06 lens or something.

You really can't think of the Q as a K-01 or something, they are very different.  Even vs other enthusiast point and shoots it is different.  Hard to explain

Eric

-- hide signature --

Oh, and as for size, not sure if this helps.  It is hard to describe how small the Q is.  The K-01 with 40mm XS is going to be significantly larger than a Q with 01 prime.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#285,190.356,ha,f

http://camerasize.com/compact/#285,190.356,ha,t

D7000, Q, NX200

Eric

-- hide signature --

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,544Gear list
Like?
In reply to SRT201, Apr 14, 2013

I would like to see ANYTHING else do this...

480mm angle of view hand held...and can be at 1.2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/8647186990/in/photostream

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,988
Like?
I didn't want two...
In reply to brandrx, Apr 14, 2013

brandrx wrote:

I didn't want one...

...so I bought two.

I didn't want two...

...so I bought another one (black with the 01 prime lens) from KEH.com.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 14, 2013

viking79 wrote:

What's a BB card?

I just bought a black Q with 01 prime at KEH, and I'm blaming you.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,988
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Apr 14, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

viking79 wrote:

What's a BB card?

Hi Dan,

I believe that somewhere in another post someone referred to the fact that they have a Best Buy Gift Card.

I bought a black Q + 01 lens from KEH also.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
battery life
In reply to SRT201, Apr 14, 2013

Don't buy a Q if you favour good battery life

I forgot to mention this earlier.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,196
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Apr 14, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

viking79 wrote:

What's a BB card?

-- hide signature --

Dan

Dan, the Q with the #01 prime is a very good combination.  Make sure that you get the latest firmware - it adds IS to manual focus lenses and also provides focus peaking.  It cannot be a K-01 of course but it is surprisingly good and takes reasonable images.  My "fun" lens is a 38mm f1.9 prime in D mount.  It does not vignette and is actually about 212 mm f1.9 on the Q.  I get plenty of self-chuckles about just how powerful a combination this is in such a little package.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,434Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Apr 14, 2013

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Dan, the Q with the #01 prime is a very good combination.  Make sure that you get the latest firmware - it adds IS to manual focus lenses and also provides focus peaking.  It cannot be a K-01 of course but it is surprisingly good and takes reasonable images.  My "fun" lens is a 38mm f1.9 prime in D mount.  It does not vignette and is actually about 212 mm f1.9 on the Q.  I get plenty of self-chuckles about just how powerful a combination this is in such a little package.

Thanks for the encouragement Tom. The idea was to try and live with just the 01 prime as long as I can before I add anything, but the K-adapter is an obvious temptation, and the fisheye is already pulling me.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
No gear paralysis?
In reply to brandrx, Apr 15, 2013

Ron,

HOW ON EARTH do you decide what to take along when you go out to shoot?  I am imagining you standing before your collection for at least 3 hours before heading out.  

Scott

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,196
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Apr 16, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement Tom. The idea was to try and live with just the 01 prime as long as I can before I add anything, but the K-adapter is an obvious temptation, and the fisheye is already pulling me.

-- hide signature --

Dan

I think you will really like the #01 lens, it is good.  The toys I am afraid are just expensive toys. There is a whole lot of ins and outs with after market lenses and adapters.  I have had some trouble with infinity focus adjustment, - especially C and D mounts, but a K adapter will probably be fine.  The crop factor has to factor in.  My take is that you can get away with the telephoto effect with a small format lens better.  Some ex-movie lenses are pretty fast for their type.  Ergo my 38mm 1.9 in D mount, effectively a super-fast 212mm, had to adjust infinity focus, don't know whether it is the adapter (don't think so) or the lens was just mis-aligned - new old stock in a box.  Beautiful lens, now corrected, works well.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads