Do I really "need" a Q :-)

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to viking79, Apr 11, 2013

I see, then lets do hope so that Pentax would release a good wide for the Q even if not a UW

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,124Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to fakuryu, Apr 11, 2013

fakuryu wrote:

I see, then lets do hope so that Pentax would release a good wide for the Q even if not a UW

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

The 5-15mm is very good at 5mm, so it is a pretty decent wide, something like an 18mm on APS-C.  A good prime lens 3 to 4mm would be nice though, say with 1.9 or larger aperture too.  Hopefully they make something, it looks like they have a 12-24mm (rough approximate) on their roadmap, so that would be like a 3.3 to 6.6mm zoom.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,574
Like?
I didn't want one...
In reply to SRT201, Apr 11, 2013

I didn't want one...

...so I bought two.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Goofyboy
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
To have one more Q or not to have, that is the question!
In reply to SRT201, Apr 12, 2013
-- hide signature --

Goofyboy

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,773
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)

SRT201 wrote:

Trying to figure out what to do with a BestBuy gift card and the Q (not the Q10) seemed an option.

I have the K-01 and really like it.  Sure the Q is VERY small but will it essentially just be a replacement for a P&S?

Will that small appeal wear off when the sacrifice in IQ becomes more apparent?

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

Opinions?

Thanks

... and yes I know... I certainly don't actually NEED one by any means.  

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Depends upon how you visualise it.

I have one fitted with a 38mm f1.9 focal length lens in D mount.  No vignetting. If you compare a 212mm equvialent f1.9 Pentax Q outfit to that which might be necessary to image on to a conventional sized  sensor then the physical size of your aps-c equivalent is quite remarkable.  If you need absolute image excellence as your prime requiremen then you do need that big lump outfit and pay accordingly for the privilege.  But if your needs can be satisfied more modestly then the Q can give a lot of bang for your buck at miniscule size and modest pricing.  F1.9 is a pretty fast lens at that focal length equivalent.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,689Gear list
Like?
Only you can answer that for yourself (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,108
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

Trying to figure out what to do with a BestBuy gift card and the Q (not the Q10) seemed an option.

I have the K-01 and really like it.  Sure the Q is VERY small but will it essentially just be a replacement for a P&S?

Yes, but try one first. Taking pics on it is quite addictive (to me).

Compared to some more capable cams, I miss faster autofocus and a viewfinder but I love the feel and controls of this cam; it's definitely fun and I don't feel compromised button-wise; all common controls are where I want them or easily accessible. When the sun isn't shining directly into its display, I'm having a lot of fun with the Q. If you need a viewfinder (and I often do), use a camera with a viewfinder and don't bother with the Q.

it depends on what sort of shooter you are; nobody can answer that better than you.

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

the prime lens (f1.9) makes all the difference in low light, but it's not wide enough and can be considered inflexible compared to something like the Panasonic DMC-LX7 or similar cams, which can do low light well with a zoom lens.

To me it's a niche cam, and a very enjoyable one compared to so many other point&shoots in a similar price range. If you understand its limitations (and its strengths) you will be pleased with the purchase. If you have other expectations, then you may be disappointed.

To me, it satisfied my curiousity lust.

It satisfies my "oh, it's discounted! I must have it!" lust.

It satisfies my "this is a unique cam" lust.

It satisfies my "low light prime in a small package" lust (if you get that lens).

And it offers a level of fun that is pretty much unmatched in the other cameras I have tried, yet it's not built like a toy with toy controls but instead a nice photographic tool.

neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,708
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

Depends on HOW you use it.  It can just be a decent fairly high end (in terms of IQ) but bulky if you leave the kit lens on point and shootnow at avery good price.

It can also be unique and do things that are difficult without spending a fortune.

For people who DO just treat it as a point and shoot, in a lot of cases, probably.

It is a LOT better at low light than most give it credit for.....and especially if you put good fast lenses on it.

Opinions?

The most fun camera ever.

I have a LOT of lenses I WANT to try on it but just can not get myself to take a Canon FD 85 1.2 L off it.....

just got my Q three weeks ago and got a Oly E-PL2 two days ago ....the E-PL2 is HUGE compared to the Q.

Some snap shots with the Q on my flickr account...ordinary stuff.

The lenses I have tried so far other than a kitl lens are a 50 1.2 (excellent on a Q),

Canon 85 1.2 (in better hands than mine this combination will be superb).

Tamron 70-210 adaptall 3.5 (model 19ah)...a big lens that is very nice on the Q

and,  60 year old f2 58mm biotar...17 blades, no click stops.   This sucks on the Q (pity, I thought it might be good for video..still might be ok for that).

Only have 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 pics on flickr from the Q.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Leica envy not to had one of this

People would run to buy a Leica Q for us1000

viking79
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 12, 2013

viking79 wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

Opinions?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

The main benefit is going to be macro at shorter focal distances...

I forgot to add, and short telephoto lenses.  Compared with APS-C it is a 3.63 crop factor, so putting on a 77/1.8 and you have a 280/6.5 APS-C equivalent in a very small package.

Anyone tried a 77/1.8 on a Q yet?  I bet that would be decent with it.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151
Like?

If it has to be another (and different) Pentax camera, give a try to MX-1. I would prefer it more than Q.

SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, Apr 12, 2013

neil holmes wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

For people who DO just treat it as a point and shoot, in a lot of cases, probably.

It is a LOT better at low light than most give it credit for.....and especially if you put good fast lenses on it.

That's the issue then really.  If I am tempted by the "the lens is basically free" pricing and pick it up for "when I need a really small camera" which I can't say is often, then it may be a waste.  I usually go for the best IQ I can get so I imagine myself getting disenchanted comparing it to the K-5 or K-01.

I suppose for unique long tele work or extreme macro with an adapter it would indeed be cool but again the sacrifice in IQ might eventually cause my enthusiasm wear off.

I don't do street photography so the unobtrusive angle isn't really important to me.

I don't know that I want to invest in a whole little system and the fast prime is all but impossible to find now.

It looks really cool but I don't want to waste money - even BestBuy money.  My kids would love it to be sure.  

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 12, 2013

I feel some of the same "lusts" tempting me to buy it, but I really want to be logical and not just accumulate more photo gear.  I find too much just promotes gear choice paralysis when going out to shoot or traveling.

Thanks for the input.

-- hide signature --

viking79
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

That's the issue then really.  If I am tempted by the "the lens is basically free" pricing and pick it up for "when I need a really small camera" which I can't say is often, then it may be a waste.  I usually go for the best IQ I can get so I imagine myself getting disenchanted comparing it to the K-5 or K-01.

I suppose for unique long tele work or extreme macro with an adapter it would indeed be cool but again the sacrifice in IQ might eventually cause my enthusiasm wear off.

I don't do street photography so the unobtrusive angle isn't really important to me.

I don't know that I want to invest in a whole little system and the fast prime is all but impossible to find now.

It looks really cool but I don't want to waste money - even BestBuy money.  My kids would love it to be sure.  

-- hide signature --

Just skip it then  The issue I find with the SLR lenses is they are not high enough resolution for the Q.  They can look good enough at f/8 or f/11, but that is like f/32 on APS-C, so it takes a lot of sharpening, and you are only getting equivalent to a 1 MP image, i.e. you could probably do almost as well cropping a high resolution APS-C sensor.  A 24 MP sensor cropped 4x zoom would be 1.5 MP, or a 16 MP cropped 4x zoom would be 1 MP.

So a 16 MP K series camera shot at f/8 and cropped down to 1 MP would be fairly similar to a Q shot at f/8, which is diffraction limited to about 1 MP.

So you really don't gain any telephoto ability (because the lenses aren't good enough).  Until they make a super high resolution telephoto lens for the Q you won't see a lot of advantage with it for tele.  What you do gain is if you take say a C mount lens, you can get much more compact than an SLR at telephoto focal lengths.

Eric

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 12, 2013

viking79 wrote:

So you really don't gain any telephoto ability (because the lenses aren't good enough).  Until they make a super high resolution telephoto lens for the Q you won't see a lot of advantage with it for tele.  What you do gain is if you take say a C mount lens, you can get much more compact than an SLR at telephoto focal lengths.

Eric

So then we're back to the perceived size advantage which is valid if you ACTUALLY find yourself having to go without a camera often because the K-5, K-01, etc. are too large.  In any other case the size advantage comes down to liking a cool tiny camera and that doesn't really justify it for me.

-- hide signature --

viking79
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

So then we're back to the perceived size advantage which is valid if you ACTUALLY find yourself having to go without a camera often because the K-5, K-01, etc. are too large.  In any other case the size advantage comes down to liking a cool tiny camera and that doesn't really justify it for me.

If you plan on just shooting normal focal lengths get a enthusiast point and shoot/compact.  Pentax MX1, Fuji X20, Panasonic LX7, Sony RX100, Samsung EX2f, etc.  The Q is right up with these in image quality in many ways, even with its smaller sensor, but if you just stick the 5-15mm on it you don't take use of its interchangeable lens advantage.

If you plan on using the Q with the 15-45mm f/2.8 for example, it gives it a huge edge over the other point and shoots mentioned.  If you plan on using the 8.5mm f/1.9 prime, you might have a slight advantage over the above cameras, but they have pretty large aperture lenses too, like EX2f is 1.4-2.7 and MX1 is 1.8-2.5, so you aren't that different aperture at a standard focal length, and most kit lenses perform well around the "normal" focal lengths.

My complaints with Q:

• Difficult to use with my large fingers.  Especially the up button on directional/multi-function controller.  I hit the button right above it.
  • No anti-glare coating on the monitor makes it difficult to use in bright light
  • No tilt screen adds to the bright light issue.
  • Resolution is strained even with native lenses.  Sensor could probably be 6 MP and images would be the same.

What I like about the Q

• I can pop a 16, 25, 35mm f/1.4 C mount lens on it and have a pretty compact camera with decent depth of field.  The 5MP versions lose some of their size advantage but are nice because they resolve better.
  • It is surprisingly good at high ISO, I will do a few comparisons with my Fuji X20 to quantify it a bit.
  • It is darned cute (not in a bad way unless you like big packages/cameras)
  • Extremely well made, feels like a solid little brick, at least as well made as my Fuji X20.
  • Great for shooting in good light and you aren't looking for super shallow depth of field.  I.e. for those cases you shoot f/11 with your DSLR.
Eric
-- hide signature --

waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)(examples)

SRT201 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

IQ is not the same as sharpness. This is a easy trigger camera.

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,030Gear list
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

I looked long and hard at Q vs. K-01 vs. advanced compacts and bought a K-01. That didn't quite kill my interest in a Q, and as late as last night I had a Q with 01 prime in my shopping cart. I didn't close the deal, and I think I have it beat now.

- I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount

- Supertele results with the Q are not better than adding a TC, or even two, to my K-01 and DA*300. I bought a Carry Speed VF-3 yesterday to improve usability of the K-01.

- I don't need more choices of which camera to bring, which lenses to pack, second guess, change my mind at the last minute, forget something I need.

- Size is the only real advantage of the Q, the K-01 beats it in every other way. Best use what I already have. I have a fanny pack that will fit the K-01 with DA 40 mounted. I have a small shoulder bag that will carry a K-01 with lens mounted and a small prime. I will look for a small belt case today that will carry the K-01 with FA 35, because that's my main lens. Then I won't have any reason not to pack a camera, and no further reason to buy a small sensored camera.

But damn, that Q with 8.5mm is cool.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
SRT201
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)(examples)
In reply to waxwaine, Apr 12, 2013

Great shots and an excellent showcase for the little Q.

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Apr 12, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

- I don't want to start collecting lenses for another mount

I concur.

- Supertele results with the Q are not better than adding a TC, or even two, to my K-01 and DA*300. I bought a Carry Speed VF-3 yesterday to improve usability of the K-01.

WISH I had that lens.  Nice!

I have that VF-3 on my list.

- I don't need more choices of which camera to bring, which lenses to pack, second guess, change my mind at the last minute, forget something I need.

Totally agree.  Gear paralysis is problem that grows with your collection.

- Size is the only real advantage of the Q, the K-01 beats it in every other way. Best use what I already have. I have a fanny pack that will fit the K-01 with DA 40 mounted. I have a small shoulder bag that will carry a K-01 with lens mounted and a small prime. I will look for a small belt case today that will carry the K-01 with FA 35, because that's my main lens. Then I won't have any reason not to pack a camera, and no further reason to buy a small sensored camera.

I love my K-01 as well and with the DA 40 it is very compact.

But damn, that Q with 8.5mm is cool.

No two ways about it but the 8.5 is pretty much ruled out unless I want to pay $800 for the two lens kit!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads