Do I really "need" a Q :-)

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?
Do I really "need" a Q :-)
Apr 11, 2013

Trying to figure out what to do with a BestBuy gift card and the Q (not the Q10) seemed an option.

I have the K-01 and really like it.  Sure the Q is VERY small but will it essentially just be a replacement for a P&S?

Will that small appeal wear off when the sacrifice in IQ becomes more apparent?

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

Opinions?

Thanks

... and yes I know... I certainly don't actually NEED one by any means.  

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Pentax K-01 Pentax Q10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I really "need" a Q :-)
In reply to SRT201, Apr 11, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

Trying to figure out what to do with a BestBuy gift card and the Q (not the Q10) seemed an option.

I have the K-01 and really like it.  Sure the Q is VERY small but will it essentially just be a replacement for a P&S?

I gather the output looks decent in good light but gets into P&S territory when indoors.

Opinions?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

I think the output looks pretty fair up to ISO 3200, especially for B&W conversions, nice grain.

In some ways it is a sacrifice in IQ, of course, can't beat physics, but it is also fun because you can change lenses.  That being said it definitely does its best at base ISO.  I think for the discounted prices you can get the original it is a steal.  For retail prices I would be inclined to shop other products as well, but if a person wanted the 06 zoom (50-150mm APS-C equivalent) and either the 01 prime or 02 standard zoom it could be a nice set.

The main benefit is going to be macro at shorter focal distances, meaning if you have the same field of view lens, say a 16mm f/1.4 manual focus, equivalent to a 55mm field of view on APS-C, you can actually get shallower depth of field with the 16mm because it can focus much closer on the Q.  This isn't good or bad, just most of the lenses focus closer.  Except the 06 zoom, pretty terrible minimum focus on that lens, probably due to small size.

The main issue I have found using manual focus lenses is you can't use an external flash, which is really unfortunate.  Also, to get good results from C mount lenses you need to buy the expensive high resolution lenses.  The 5 MP and up lenses seem okay.  These aren't small, and cost around $200 and up.  Some of the 2 or 3 MP lenses will be okay as well, especially stopped down, but then the kit lens is more tempting.

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3455

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3391

http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3308

Are the three Q reviews I have done, 01 prime, 16mm f/1.4 C mount, and 02 standard.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934
Like?

You likely do not need a Q but what does need have to do with buying cameras :). Imagine a point and shoot that controls as easily as a DSLR and you can always have with you.  And its output is better than any point and shoot under any conditions.  It's closer to what you could expect from a DSLR two camera generations ago.

-- hide signature --
waxwaine
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?

If you like to use DSLR/K-01 on manual mode or at least AV and TV, certantly you will adore the Q. Once you hold it, you´ll hate every auto P&S camera, even top class ones. You can carry the Q any where and shoot with it without drawing attention, but you cannot necesary do it with the K-01. Now, if you are addicted to shoot peoples full bodies portrait with very thin FOV pictures, you may no like it at all. By the way, the Prime 01 could produce beautiful bookeh, IMHO.

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

Picture tells a thousand words, ISO performance is pretty good an dI don't find ti limiting DR is a bit of an issue at times though.

Great fun though nothing like a P+S in operation just like a diddy Pentax dslr

These from the 02 zoom and 01 prime.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,987Gear list
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 11, 2013

It does nice work (for me up to 1600 but I'm not big on PP), and the menu system sure is familiar if you own a Pentax dSLR :-).  Best Buy doesn't carry all that much Pentax gear in stores, but I've not seen their website in a while; I bought my K100d refurb from them when I first came 'home' from SonyAlpha, come to think of it!

If you don't need a freezer or a dozen Blu-Ray discs, why not a Q? 

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +2 more
SRT201
Like?
Why not?
In reply to jimrpdx, Apr 11, 2013

I think you may have the best argument.  

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 11, 2013

Thanks for the examples Andrew.  Interestingly... B&H no longer lists the 01 prime.  What's with that?

-- hide signature --

viking79
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

Thanks for the examples Andrew.  Interestingly... B&H no longer lists the 01 prime.  What's with that?

-- hide signature --

No one seems to  The new camera (Q10) doesn't have it available with kits either.  It is the best lens, beyond me why they would stop selling it.

I ended up buying two kits on ebay, first was the 5-15mm, then I went to go buy the prime and realized you couldn't buy it separately so I bought another kit with the prime and sold the body  But now it is hard to find the body kits with the prime new anywhere for a reasonable price. I bought mine used for a two hundred and some change.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
SRT201
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 11, 2013

Hmm... Arguably the most "serious" lens for the system and it's no longer available?  That isn't really a great sign although Pentax seems to be behind the Q system in general.

-- hide signature --

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,912Gear list
Like?
Real good deals? :-)
In reply to viking79, Apr 11, 2013

BTW, where is a good deal with zoom lens for the original Q? TIA

Nic

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
You don't really need one

SRT201 wrote:

Opinions?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

But don't touch it ot try it and you'd want one. Most of the time, using the Q for the first time is a trap!

I just love my white Q + 01

Can you just imagine a 16km mountain treck with a heavy DSLR?

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
SRT201
Like?
Re: You don't really need one
In reply to fakuryu, Apr 11, 2013

Nice shots.  You guys are just ruthless at pushing this little wonder!  

Was that real bokeh or the bokeh filter with the rocks?  I noticed it was the f1.9 prime so I assume real bokeh.

Too bad the white one is harder to find and more expensive.  It does look cool.

-- hide signature --

bettyswolloks
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

YES!! You NEED one  I love mine Not bad IQ either, the noise isn't K5IIs good but its good enough to be useful.

bettyswolloks's gear list:bettyswolloks's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Nikon D7100 +13 more
fakuryu
Like?

SRT201 wrote:

Nice shots.  You guys are just ruthless at pushing this little wonder!  

Was that real bokeh or the bokeh filter with the rocks?  I noticed it was the f1.9 prime so I assume real bokeh.

Too bad the white one is harder to find and more expensive.  It does look cool.

-- hide signature --

Haha thanks! If I remember, I did use the bokeh filter for it.

I literally had a few sleepness nights after playing around with a Q. It was either a DA21 or a Q (local price was even back then, around US$441), and I know I can just get a DA21 anytime and will have more fun with the Q when I don't or can bring a DSLR

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
You're all Pentax sales people!

I'm coming around.  

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
Next question... How good is the 06 zoom?

That does look pretty cool having constant f2.8 in a package that small.

-- hide signature --

fakuryu
Like?
+1

Seems very interesting but I'm really waiting for is a ultra wide for the Q

-- hide signature --

viking79
Like?
Re: +1

fakuryu wrote:

Seems very interesting but I'm really waiting for is a ultra wide for the Q

-- hide signature --

Ultra wide for such a small sensor is a difficult proposition.  There are a few high quality C mount lenses that might cover that need.  You really need 3.5mm or so for a 12mm APS-C equivalent, and some of these might not perform all that well.  There are also several high quality fisheye 1.8mm or so lenses, but the good ones are like $400+.

We need Pentax to release a good UW

Eric

-- hide signature --

Don Kiyoti
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
No, but you know you want one!

I'll add myself to the "having a ball with it" group.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads