Using a monopod??

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Questions
den did
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Using a monopod??
Apr 11, 2013

Do you use a ball head with a monopod or just mount the camera on top of it?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
newtoy
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
Re: Using a monopod??
In reply to den did, Apr 11, 2013

Direct with L-plate and clamp only!

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679Gear list
Like?

den did wrote:

It depends a lot on the use. If you don't need to tilt a lot, mounting the camera/lens directly or via a quick release plate on the monopod is perfectly fine. If you do need to tilt, a tilt head is the best option. Some wildlife and sports photographers also use a gimball head, but that's really useful only with big lenses. A ball head is rarely done. Most find it too unstable, but some people like it nonetheless.

I use a monopod and tilt head for wildlife/bird photography.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
BackroadsTraveler
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?

den did wrote:

I use a monopod with tilt head (one direction of movement) extensively. The tilt comes into play with semi-macro work, and when trying to shoot from low angles, but allows me to keep the stability of the monopod.

If I couldn't have the tilt head, however, I'd still use the monopod with camera attached directly to base.  You just limit yourself somewhat with that set up.

-- hide signature --

BRT

BackroadsTraveler's gear list:BackroadsTraveler's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
afoton
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?

I use a ball head on my monopod. I like that much better than a 2 ways tilt head.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,198
Like?

I use a monopod with a unidirectional tilt head, NOT a ball head. Especially if you ever plan to use a massive lens like a 600 f/4 or 400 f/2.8. Years ago I bought a really massive Gitzo ball head and it just flat could not support a really big lens. It would slip out of position no matter how hard I torqued it down. Finally the expensive ball head split on the side and was ruined!

Furthermore, a ball head tends to allow the monopod or camera to flop wildly if it is loose, endangering yourself and anyone else around you! I've been using a Manfrotto tilt head with quick release plate for 15 years and never looked back.

irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Apr 12, 2013

Simple and rugged, after several decades, I have settled into the Manfrotto 680B monopod with the 678 folding base and a Markins ballhead. The 678 has 3 legs mounted on a short tube 'set-screwing' around the monopod leg. The 3 leg assy fits inside the monopod leg and can be released, spread open and remounted giving a monopod with short tripod legs.

This setup is invaluable for removing the weight of a long tele/zoom off my arms and shoulder--and allows me to permit the 3 legged monopod to stand upright without support when I need to remove a lens, memory card or trail snack from my camera bag. Think: No Hands

For wildlife or pano/landscape photography the camera literally floats. The Markins ballhead smoothly lets me track wildlife in motion or precisely frame a multi array 'pano'--And locks rock tight without creep. Mount a standard cork ball on the monopod and enjoy the benefits of a rugged hiking 'stick'!   The monopod setup will set you back <$100, my Markins is not included since it also lives on my real tripod--but not very often now.

good luck  irv weiner

afoton
Like?

hotdog321 wrote:

Furthermore, a ball head tends to allow the monopod or camera to flop wildly if it is loose, endangering yourself and anyone else around you!

On a monopod, that is no problem, as I always have a hand on the camera

But on a tripod, this can be a real problem, and that is why I allways check that the ball is securely locked down before I leave a camera on a tripod.  If it was not so heavy, I would prefer a solid three way head on tripod, but I use ball head there also (just because of the weight).

hotdog321
Like?
In reply to afoton, Apr 12, 2013

Oh, it can be a real problem if you are hustling up and down the sideline at a football game! Nothing like whacking somebody with a floppy 5 or 6' aluminum pole to win friends and influence people!

afoton
Like?

hotdog321 wrote:

Oh, it can be a real problem if you are hustling up and down the sideline at a football game!

OK. Life is too short to be used at a football field, so I don't have that problem

There was a tilt head (Sirui L-10) on my monopod, but I didn't like it. And I had a cheap, but sturdy ball head that worked a lot better to my taste. The pano base on this ball head was not working well, so it was unusable on a tripod anyway.

For me it is all about what do the job for me. I don't know what will work for OP, but he was just asking what each of us use.

hotdog321
Like?
In reply to afoton, Apr 12, 2013

Agree completely. I was just pontificating and sharing my experiences.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads