low light shot of Sony NEX-6 vs Fuji X100

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
Pete peterson
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
low light shot of Sony NEX-6 vs Fuji X100
Apr 11, 2013

I did some test shots at home under florescent light. I don't know if the test was fair though because of the fuji prime lens. Perhaps I need a prime lens on the Sony to make it fair.

Please feel free to add low light indoors shots of Sony NEX 6 with a prime lens if you have any.

I will add low light outdoor shots as well when it stops raining in this country!

If it can be considered a fair test, I think the Fuji X100 wins hands down.

PS: The Fuji's EVF under this light was far superior to the NEX-6, despite the sony's 1 million extra pixels in the EVF. The sony's is crispier in bright light but it suffers from some kind of shimmer, for want of a better word,  where as the Fuji EVF is stable.

Fuji X100, f/4

Fuji X100, f/3.6

Fuji X100, f/5.6

sony nex-6

NEX-6 f/4.5 ISO 3200

NEX-6

fuji x100

fuji X100

nex-6 handheld

Pete peterson's gear list:Pete peterson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
Re: low light shot of Sony NEX-6 vs Fuji X100
In reply to Pete peterson, Apr 11, 2013

Pete peterson wrote:

I did some test shots at home under florescent light. I don't know if the test was fair though because of the fuji prime lens. Perhaps I need a prime lens on the Sony to make it fair.

Please feel free to add low light indoors shots of Sony NEX 6 with a prime lens if you have any.

I will add low light outdoor shots as well when it stops raining in this country!

PS: The Fuji's EVF under this light was far superior to the NEX-6, despite the sony's 1 million extra pixels in the EVF. The sony's is crispier in bright light but it suffers from some kind of shimmer, for want of a better word,  where as the Fuji EVF is stable.

fuji X100

nex-6 handheld

Interesting and flattering to the Fuji.

I don't know what mode you are using on each camera for the test (P, A, S, M?).

The NEX is underexposing compared to the Fuji, although none of the shots are directly comparable apart from the 2 shown above. In this case, the NEX is set to ISO200, the Fuji at ISO400 and apertures also vary hugely (f/2 for the Fuji compared to f/4.5 for the NEX thereby showing the superiority of the faster prime).

For a 'real' comparison, try using M mode and setting each camera to the same ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

Also, bear in mind that many cameras under-report actual ISO values thereby making the low light performance seem to be superior.

It does seem that the Fuji may be easier to achieve good results in low light and the NEX possibly needs a bit more user input.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
smallLebowski
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?

Good job. However, look at he last 2 photos: at the towel/blanket on the sofa - on NEX 6 you can see more "dynamic range" compared to overexposed? FUJI? I may have used wrong words (I'm a newbie in photography), but I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

We need to compare similar lenses - then it will more clear.

Beaverhelmet
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?

Your'e kidding right?

Beaverhelmet's gear list:Beaverhelmet's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 +6 more
Herts_JoaTMoN
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?

I fail to see the point of this thread. Are we trying to prove that the Fuji lets in more light at wider apartures and higher ISOs? This has no baring on how the low light capabilities compare...

As someone else has stated. set the ISO shutter speed and aparture the same and then we have a valid comparison. My friend recently sold his 5N to purchase a x100s. As i still use a 5N id be interested in how it compares as i've not done much research into the latter. He seems very pleased with his purchase although ive not seen the output from it yet.

My initial statement wasnt meant to be as bitchy as it comes off, just constructive critisism.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hertsjoatmon/
NEX 5N / E 18-55. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250 / 49mm CP filter / Spare battery / LIM's flash bounce. Film canister diffuser / OPTECH wriststrap
Nikon V1 / N1 10-30. N1 30-110 / Franiec Grip.
Sony TX10.

Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 814Gear list
Like?

These kind of posts should be removed. No way the Nex-6 is metering like that.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?

Pete peterson wrote:

Hi Pete, this isn't a fair test. You need to take shots on each camera of the same scene/lighting, at the same focal length, the same aperture size, and the same ISO, both with center metering. Try it in A mode with EV at 0 for both, they will most likely turn out similar, with the same auto-selected shutter speed. Even then differences could be down to different metering systems, reported ISO sensitivity, or EV foibles of each (e.g. the old NEX-5 used to over-expose by 0.3/0.7 in good light, the NEX-F3 under-exposes by 0.3, so comparing them at 0 isn't equivalent).

Your different apertures & ISOs produce different exposure results, as one would expect. Camera/lens testing is not easy!

-- hide signature --
Pete peterson
Like?
In reply to danny006, Apr 11, 2013

I'm not trying to fly the flag for the fuji. I've got both camera's within their return period and want to return one of them.

I love the ergonomics and versatility of the Sony - makes the fuji feel relatively clunky.

They were shot in aperture priority.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
RGBaker
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?

Fuji X100, f/4

fuji X100

nex-6 handheld

A fair test of what?  You're comparing images that were shot with different shutter, aperture and ISO settings -- in the case of the NEX, consistently using one or two stops less light than the Fuji ... and then declaring the Fuji better in low light.  If it was a test of metering, then clearly something is off with your NEX as it should not have been using the settings you've used.  But if it was intended as a comparison of the capabilities in low light, this test is an epic fail.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffbaker/sets/72157632181672263/detail/

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
RGBaker
Like?

Pete peterson wrote:

I'm not trying to fly the flag for the fuji. I've got both camera's within their return period and want to return one of them.

I love the ergonomics and versatility of the Sony - makes the fuji feel relatively clunky.

They were shot in aperture priority.

The point of shooting in aperture priority for a test, is to match both devices to the same settings.  To say 'aperture priority' and then compare two shots with different apertures is pointless.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Pete peterson
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, Apr 11, 2013

They were taken in aperture priority.

They were shot in aperture priority. I took auto ISO off from the Sony because it was setting it to 3200, but those pictures were as underexposed as the lower iso ones.

NEX-6 iso 3200

I think the nex was choosing too fast  shutter speeds. But i'm not experienced enough to judge that yet.

I will try out the manual mode like you suggested but try sticking to f4.5 and above on the fuji.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
Pete peterson
Like?
In reply to smallLebowski, Apr 11, 2013

No, in the room shots, the DR in the fuji is better but the detail in the sony is higher as it is more in focus. Fuji's f/2 setting is always soft unfortunately.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
Herts_JoaTMoN
Like?

Pete peterson wrote:

They were shot in aperture priority. I took auto ISO off from the Sony because it was setting it to 3200, but those pictures were as underexposed as the lower iso ones.

NEX-6 iso 3200

I think the nex was choosing too fast  shutter speeds. But i'm not experienced enough to judge that yet.

I will try out the manual mode like you suggested but try sticking to f4.5 and above on the fuji.

Do you have the exposure comensation set to -ve 1.7 or something? As there is no way that the camea would pick that exposure as the 18% grey with out any compensation unless you have spot metering onthe arm of the bear or something. Even then I wouldnt expect it to be as dark as this.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
NEX 5N / E 18-55. Sigma 19. / Minolta MC 50 1.4. Tamron 90 2.5 Macro. Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro. Soligor 135 2.8 / Raynox DCR-250 / 49mm CP filter / Spare battery / LIM's flash bounce. Film canister diffuser / OPTECH wriststrap
Sony TX10.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +3 more
Pete peterson
Like?
In reply to Herts_JoaTMoN, Apr 11, 2013

I'll put them in manual and try again though I can't get around the issue of a prime lens vs zoom lens.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
RGBaker
Like?

Pete peterson wrote:

NEX-6 iso 3200

If you intended to test the metering, and have found your NEX is consistently underexposing by more than a stop, then you've uncovered that your NEX is faulty.  Or that you've accidently left the NEX EV adjustment set to -1 or something.  If you are trying to test metering, it doesn't really matter what settings you use or even if you take a picture -- metering values should be 'universal', i.e. if the correct exposure is 400ISO f4.0 1/30 it doesn't matter what device you use to take the picture, that is the correct exposure.  Two different devices should both call for the same exposure in the same situation.

Cheers,
GB

Pete peterson
Like?
In reply to Herts_JoaTMoN, Apr 11, 2013

The Ex Comp was on zero.

The curious thing though was when it locked focus it was indicated by a green lines that when around the edge on the EVF and not the usual square you normally see at the centre of the viewfinder. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
Pete peterson
Like?
In reply to RGBaker, Apr 11, 2013

For a given light condition, in aperture priority, should it then not matter what the aperture is set to because the camera will set the shutter speed to compensate for different aperture settings and hence give the same exposure? In which case my test should be somewhat valid. Or am i thinking priority shooting all wrong?

Sony Alpha NEX-6
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?

Pete peterson wrote:

The Ex Comp was on zero.

The curious thing though was when it locked focus it was indicated by a green lines that when around the edge on the EVF and not the usual square you normally see at the centre of the viewfinder. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

That suggests you have the AF assist lamp turned on - it seems odd but try turning it off; that normally helps lock focus. Not sure if it effects metering though. :-/

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 814Gear list
Like?

If the Nex-6 pictures are always that dark then something is wrong and you should return it.

I suggest you work in manual, get the NEX-6 and get a good exposure (what looks good to you) and then use the same settings with the Fuji. I am sure the Fuji will be darker because of ISO not being correct.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Herts_JoaTMoN
Like?

Pete peterson wrote:

For a given light condition, in aperture priority, should it then not matter what the aperture is set to because the camera will set the shutter speed to compensate for different aperture settings and hence give the same exposure? In which case my test should be somewhat valid. Or am i thinking priority shooting all wrong?

Interms of exposure, yes the camera should adjust the shutter speed and ISO to compensate. The issue when comparing quality at different appartures that with less light coming through the lens on one you are either introducing more blur through a lower shutter speed or more noise through a higher ISO. Either way the final image quality will be reduced in a low light situation as there is only so much movement that stabilisation can counter.

This is why people take pay much more for faster lenses (that and the added depth of feild control).

Photography is all about light and how you control and adapt to it. a test that only lets in half the light in one scenario compared to the other is invalid if you are trying to compare quality. The only way to compare the quality of the camera (ie the actual sensor) is to have the same amount of light coming in, therefor the same aparture.

As someone else mention, if your EV comp is set to zero and you have the cameras set to multi point metering mode. Then there is a problem with your Sony camera.

-- hide signature --

Ben Williams - UK
Sony TX10.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads