umbrella or softbox for travelling?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,579Gear list
Like?
Westcott Collapsible Umbrellas
In reply to littlegrumpy, Apr 21, 2013

For headshots and such I much prefer working with a proper softbox that has a recessed face and 3" lip. But, for super portability, I loves me my Westcott Collapsible Umbrellas. They're only 14.5" long and open up to 43". I can toss a pair of 'em in the top my small messenger bag or in my carry-on size rolling case. In fact, they're so compact that I take 'em any time I've got a flash and stand, even when I don't expect to need 'em. And, the black fabric can be removed to make 'em into white shoot-throughs. Every location shooter needs at least one of these.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Genes Pentax
Contributing MemberPosts: 998
Like?
Diffuser-40
In reply to Genes Pentax, Apr 27, 2013

Genes Pentax wrote:

If you prefer softbox light, check out Diffuser-60 and Diffuser-50 from SMDV.  The setup and take down is as quick as folding up an umbrella.  It's sturdier and gives better/softer light than an umbrella.  Carrying case makes it easy to carry around.  Super convenient.  Been using it for a few months now and they got some good reviews as well. If you prefer something even smaller, they have 40cm size also which I'm seriously considering getting for use around the house while chasing kids. 

http://www.amazon.com/Speedbox-Diffuser-50-Professional-Hexagonal-Speedlight/dp/B00AA5AWDU/ref=pd_sim_p_4

http://www.amazon.com/Speedbox-Diffuser-60-Professional-Hexagonal-Speedlight/dp/B00AA5LPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366256206&sr=8-1&keywords=diffuser-60

I finally gave into the temptation and got Diffuser-40.  Very portable and small.  Here's a self portrait with it.  I'm using it to take pictures of kids inside the house ... one hand is the camera and the other hand is the light.  I like the way the photos are coming out ... nice and soft light. Pretty cool.  Diffuser-60 is too big to use it this way.  But the Diffuser-40 softbox is perfect.  Very quick to open up as well as closing it up.  I might actually consider taking this with me on an airplane when I go visit my brother.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,517
Like?
Re: Diffuser-40
In reply to Genes Pentax, Apr 27, 2013

Hey, that looks pretty good! I checked it out on Amazon and it looks like it is pretty well-made.

GarageBoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
Re: umbrella or softbox for travelling?
In reply to littlegrumpy, Apr 30, 2013

How are the Westcott Mini Apollos?

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: umbrella or softbox for travelling?
In reply to GarageBoy, May 3, 2013

GarageBoy wrote:

How are the Westcott Mini Apollos?

My experience is with westcott umbrellas and the westcott mega JS apollo 50". The price is good, the light coming from them is great, but 50% of them have needed me to add some glue to them somewhere, at some time..

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads