Decide between Canon Powershot S110 and Nikon Coolpix P330

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
dducu
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Decide between Canon Powershot S110 and Nikon Coolpix P330
Apr 11, 2013

I cannot decide which to buy. The Canon Powershot S110 or the Nikon Coolpix P330? They both do what i need and the price is close. Can anyone give me some good reason why i should not choose the Nikon Coolpix P330 ?

Thank you all

Canon PowerShot S110 Nikon Coolpix P330
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Decide between Canon Powershot S110 and Nikon Coolpix P330
In reply to dducu, Apr 11, 2013

dducu wrote:

I cannot decide which to buy. The Canon Powershot S110 or the Nikon Coolpix P330? They both do what i need and the price is close. Can anyone give me some good reason why i should not choose the Nikon Coolpix P330 ?

I recently struggled with this same question and ended up choosing the P330 for the slightly better sensor (the same as the class leading 1/1.7" sensor found in the Nikon P7700 see DxOMark Sensor Ratings link below) and for the better quality LCD (920 K vs 460 K).

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

Also, the S110 has removed the small grip strip on the front of the body (which the P330 has).  I was concerned that the S110 a bit slippery, less ergonomic without any place to rest my middle finger.

I'm extremely happy with the P330 in general and the IQ is excellent.  That said, I'm certain I would have also liked the S110.  But I'm a Nikon shooter, and not a touch screen fan.

Plus, I travel quite a bit and it was worth it to me to choose the camera with GPS (Canon removed GPS from the S series with the release of the S110).

Best of luck, and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227
Like?
In reply to marike6, Apr 11, 2013

The Canon S100 is photographically identical to the Canon S110 and is a bit cheaper and has integrated GPS but no touchscreen.

The Fujifilm XF1 has a larger sensor than the S100 and P330 and is currently available for US$8 more than the P330.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonpowershots100/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fujixf1/pool/

If money isn't an issue you may like to consider the Sony RX100 but it is pricey.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_s100&products=canon_s110&products=nikon_cpp330&products=fujifilm_xf1&products=sony_dscrx100&sortDir=ascending

dducu
Like?
In reply to marike6, Apr 11, 2013

Thanks everyone, especially marike6. I jumped in and purchased the Nikon P330. Hope i will not be disappointed.

dducu
Like?
In reply to dducu, Apr 26, 2013

Finally bought the Nikon P330. My biggest mistake this year. Nice going Nikon.. with the crap power on button.

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227
Like?
In reply to dducu, Apr 26, 2013

dducu wrote:

Finally bought the Nikon P330. My biggest mistake this year. Nice going Nikon.. with the crap power on button.

I read your other post. It's obviously either faulty or suffers from some kind of design flaw. If it was me I'd want to get a refund if possible.

The Canon S100 is available for US$329 and the Fujifilm XF1 for closer to $400.

PliSsK
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to Eddaweaver, 9 months ago

Criticising the P330 on account of its power on button seems pretty petty if you ask me. You asked for input from community members but failed to even bother to describe what you didn't like about the power button.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads