Using iPhone5 as internet gateway for iPad3?

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
Iain Harper
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
Using iPhone5 as internet gateway for iPad3?
Apr 11, 2013

Can't remember the technical term for it but I seem to remember hearing you can use your mobile to get internet for your computer when Wi-Fi is unavailable, or am I imagining it?

It came to me last night when I visited my Mum in hospital and took the iPad3 along to show her some pictures when my wife's mobile was listed in the list of Networks (mine wasn't funnily enough).

Is it possible please?

Iain Harper's gear list:Iain Harper's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,185
Like?
Re: Using iPhone5 as internet gateway for iPad3?
In reply to Iain Harper, Apr 11, 2013

Iain Harper wrote:

Can't remember the technical term for it but I seem to remember hearing you can use your mobile to get internet for your computer when Wi-Fi is unavailable, or am I imagining it?

Here's one article on the subject.  Check to see what your cell phone company's policies and fees regarding this feature are (i.e., just because the phone does the work of redistributing the signal, doesn't mean the phone company will necessarily let you do this for free).

About.com - Set up and use iPhone Personal Hotspot

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alexandre_k
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

It called "tethering".

My phone provider here in Switzerland allows me to use my iPhone as a 3G modem for my iPad or my laptop, whenever I'm on the road. Very useful!

-- hide signature --

Regards, Alexandre

alexandre_k's gear list:alexandre_k's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Tim S
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?

Yep, if your package includes personal hotspot and you have enough data allowance. A really cool feature, maybe the only reason I prefer iphone over the competition, apple need to up their game with the next phones.

Iain Harper
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim S, Apr 11, 2013

Thanks everyone, need to contact my mobile supplier as I don't appear to have a "Personal Hotspot" as an option on my set-up menu.

Iain.

Iain Harper's gear list:Iain Harper's gear list
Olympus E-1 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads