Older Minolta Lenses

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
alankushnir
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Older Minolta Lenses
Apr 11, 2013

I want to try my older Minolta Lenses which have been sitting in the closet for many years with my new NEX 7.  These worked on the Minolta Maxxum. What sort of adaptor would be appropriate for these lenses and the NEX7.  Thanks.

alankushnir's gear list:alankushnir's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,044Gear list
Like?
Re: Older Minolta Lenses
In reply to alankushnir, Apr 11, 2013

alankushnir wrote:

I want to try my older Minolta Lenses which have been sitting in the closet for many years with my new NEX 7.  These worked on the Minolta Maxxum. What sort of adaptor would be appropriate for these lenses and the NEX7.  Thanks.

Sony LA-EA1 or LA-EA2. With the LA-EA2 you'll get similar performance with these lenses to what you would get using them on a Sony SLT camera, like the A57 or A77.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Apr 11, 2013

Yes but the main problem will be the lack of an image stability system as is found in Minolta & Sony DSLRs & SLTs.

This lack becomes more of an issue the longer the focal length of the lens , try putting a 500mm mirror lens on a NEX & you will see an image which dances around on the LCD or in the EVF & which can only be controlled by using a tripod. I have issues with shorter FLs as well & need good sunlight in order to have fast shutter speeds of at least 1/ 2x FL in order to control camera shake reliably.

Some will protest at these comments but I am speaking from my personal experience & would caution those contemplating this move.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?

It depends on if they are manual lenses, MC or MD. If so, you can buy an adapter on ebay for almost nothing. I believe these mc/md are the very best.

D Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?

The Maxxum was autofocus so get a Minolta AF to NEX adapter like this

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Minolta-E-Mount-NEX-VG10-aperture/dp/B004G3D61W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365714987&sr=8-1&keywords=minolta+AF+nex+adapter

for $20 or less.  You will have to focus and set the aperture manually but you can find out how you like the lens (which lenses do you have).  If you like the idea you can go for the LE-EA2

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Adaptor-Translucent-Mirror-Technology/dp/B005K8AUYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365715180&sr=1-1&keywords=LE-EA2

for about $280.  That lenses will work as well or better (except for crop factor) than they ever did on the Maxxum.

As noted above, they will have no stabilization but then neither did the Maxxum.

PS  If by any chance they were MC or MD lenses and you were using an adapter on the Maxxum, you will need to get the MC/MD version of the NEX adapter like this

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Minolta-NEX-3-Camera-Adapter/dp/B003XQ6FDE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365715490&sr=1-1&keywords=MD+NEX+adapter

D Williams's gear list:D Williams's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 +29 more
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,145
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, Apr 11, 2013

John Knuhtsen wrote:

It depends on if they are manual lenses, MC or MD. If so, you can buy an adapter on ebay for almost nothing. I believe these mc/md are the very best.

The few I have and have had were all MD mount, but it did vary a bit, so do your research.

Many of us love manual focusing on the NEX platform.  Not ideal for all things and all situations, but a lot of fun.  Takes some practice, but once you get it down, you'll love it.  You start having a few issues with stabilization in the 300+ range, but under that, you can hardly tell.

DP has a pretty good lens review portion.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/lenses

A run down, particularly of Minolta lenses

http://www.paulfvs.dds.nl/lenses.html

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Apr 11, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

Yes but the main problem will be the lack of an image stability system as is found in Minolta & Sony DSLRs & SLTs.

This lack becomes more of an issue the longer the focal length of the lens , try putting a 500mm mirror lens on a NEX & you will see an image which dances around on the LCD or in the EVF & which can only be controlled by using a tripod. I have issues with shorter FLs as well & need good sunlight in order to have fast shutter speeds of at least 1/ 2x FL in order to control camera shake reliably.

Some will protest at these comments but I am speaking from my personal experience & would caution those contemplating this move.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

If he has had those in the closet for many years, presumably he used them with Minolta film cameras which had no stabilization.

kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to santiclaws, Apr 11, 2013

santiclaws wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

-- hide signature --

Keith C

If he has had those in the closet for many years, presumably he used them with Minolta film cameras which had no stabilization.

I don't understand why people avoid the lack of stabilization like the plague. Yes it can be useful but unless you shoot in the dark all the time, it's not going to make your pictures any better.

And even if stabilization can keep your hands from shaking, it's not going to freeze your subject from moving.

I am also speaking from personal experience, and I was born after camera/lens stabilization was made available too.

I do agree though that using the 500mm f/8 mirror lens handheld w/out stabilization is quite tough (owned one before). ISO is at least at 1600 on an average day. But there's still plenty of light shooting with f/5.6 @ 300mm on a gloomy day without it!

YMMV

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 11, 2013

is there something wrong with dpreview's gallery btw? can't see the pics on my computer..

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,702Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, Apr 12, 2013

John Knuhtsen wrote:

The OP already said that his lenses were from a Maxxum. So they would not be MD /MC manual lenses.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to kev777zero, Apr 12, 2013

kev777zero wrote:

santiclaws wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Do we even know what focal lengths are involved?  Before going into too much panic, maybe the OP has a 50mm, not a 500mm.  An adapted 50/1.7 is just great on the Nex.

I protest your premature negativity, not the point about the 500mm.  I'd say even 300mm gets to be tough (although I've done it -- handheld -- and it worked).

-- hide signature --

Keith C

I don't understand why people avoid the lack of stabilization like the plague. Yes it can be useful but unless you shoot in the dark all the time, it's not going to make your pictures any better.

Stablization helps in certain circumstances, not so much in others.  It is more useful on longer lenses, IMO.  It's also more useful on video than stills (again, IMO).

And even if stabilization can keep your hands from shaking, it's not going to freeze your subject from moving.

I appreciate the better high-ISO more with the Nex.  It can be a reasonable trade off to get more speed.

I am also speaking from personal experience, and I was born after camera/lens stabilization was made available too.

I do agree though that using the 500mm f/8 mirror lens handheld w/out stabilization is quite tough (owned one before). ISO is at least at 1600 on an average day. But there's still plenty of light shooting with f/5.6 @ 300mm on a gloomy day without it!

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,040Gear list
Like?
re: nay, nowhere as bad as you make it sound...
In reply to Keit ll, Apr 12, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

This lack becomes more of an issue the longer the focal length of the lens , try putting a 500mm mirror lens on a NEX & you will see an image which dances around on the LCD or in the EVF & which can only be controlled by using a tripod.

...certainly tripod will help with stabilizing an image from the Minolta AF reflex 500/8, but not as much as expected = instead of handshakes and tremors we'll have to cope with vibrations (unless a tripod is hyper-sturdy). However, the 500/8 cat is perfectly hand-holdable down to 1/500 sec. Also, in a good light there seldom is any need to pump ISO above 400-800 level (and I'm talking of Nex-7 here, not exactly low noise champion ),

jpr2

alankushnir
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 12, 2013

Do we even know what focal lengths are involved?  Before going into too much panic, maybe the OP has a 50mm, not a 500mm.  An adapted 50/1.7 is just great on the Nex.

Actually, one of the lenses I was talking about was a 50/1.7 !

Thanks for the encouragement.

Alan

alankushnir's gear list:alankushnir's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads