D7100 Landscape image with DxO (big size)

Started Apr 11, 2013 | Discussions
KonstantinosD
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
D7100 Landscape image with DxO (big size)
Apr 11, 2013

Hello..

Here is a landscape image just for reviewing, with the Nikon 17-55 2.8 and the D7100, processed with the new DxO updated to handle the D7100 files. That combo camera /lens, is a great pair! You can watch at 100%, to see the details..

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
john Clinch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,797
Like?
Re: D7100 Landscape image with DxO (big size)
In reply to KonstantinosD, Apr 11, 2013

Do you really want some constructive comments on this photo?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KonstantinosD
Like?
In reply to john Clinch, Apr 11, 2013

Yes, why not.. ! Just keep in mind this shot is not my favorite or anything and thats why I've uploaded the full rez. It is mainly to check the dxo conversion with the new camera, please also comment on that.!

ForeignerOnEarth
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?

Yes the resolution is amazing, but the texture is overprocessed. The texture is unnatural. Maybe only due to oversharping, maybe still another mistake. Less is sometimes more.

ForeignerOnEarth's gear list:ForeignerOnEarth's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
mikeysaling
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?

Sorry to be a bit thick - what is the new DxO (big size) ?

KonstantinosD
Like?
In reply to mikeysaling, Apr 11, 2013

It's this : http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/04/10/DxO-Optics-Pro-8p1p5-extends-support-to-nikon-d7100 Basically a Raw converter like Lightroom etc.. Big size refers to the jpeg file when viewed 100%!

john Clinch
Like?

well there is clearly loads of detail. But something isn't quite right. Although its hard to know having not seen the original scene. The colour doesn't look quite right but foliage can look odd at certain times of year

The histogram is a bit odd. It has a bit of a gap between before we really get to the black pixels, then there is a massive spike. So when I play with curves to get the contrast up I just end up with too many blocked shadows. In photoshop the levels then the shadows high light tool seemed to help. What was the light like when the scene was shot? As it is I think the image lacks contrast

I quite like the composition but I've never really got a shot like this to work. If the light is strong there is to much contrast. In flat light there isn't enough contrast

markswift
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

Looking forward to getting my D7100 today!

Nice picture with lots of detail. Would have been slightly better if a higher stutter was used as some detail has been lost due to motion up top.

I do see the strange texture others have referred to when pixel peeping but I think DXO have always liked to sharpen quite a lot.

KonstantinosD
Like?
In reply to markswift, Apr 11, 2013

Yeap, maybe I have to tone down that "lens sharpness" setting in dxo, its on by default I think. The light was awfull that day, overcast with haze and strong reflections and midday highlights, it doesn't get much worse than that..! Still that didn't stop me from ltesting my D7100. I"ll try another conversion with a fresh view and clear mind to see how much better it gets. That often helps.

markswift
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?

At least you're actually taking pictures, I think that's a rarity around here

Enjoy, I'm sat here now waiting for mine to arrive. Lighthouse shoot planned for the weekend, can't wait!

john Clinch
Like?
In reply to markswift, Apr 11, 2013

Please do convert again and post the result in the same thread. Always interesting to see what happens.....

My hunch is try the DXO equivalent of fill light

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,635
Like?

john Clinch wrote:

I quite like the composition but I've never really got a shot like this to work. If the light is strong there is to much contrast. In flat light there isn't enough contrast

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using a GND filter to tone down the sky on a bright day?  I haven't, so I'm asking and not telling you to do it- LOL.

I do like this type of composition and shot.  I love these types of trees and scenes.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,182Gear list
Like?

DXO is not known for a good nef conversion by default. Once dialed in, though, it can be outstanding.  This one shows camera and lens to excellent advantage.  No noise and sharp as all get out, with excellent tonal scale.  Very nice work.

I would as a rule turn the DXO Lens softness way down, as things can get crunchy in a hurry in pursuit of corner sharpness, even though they claim it doesn't :^)

john Clinch
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Apr 11, 2013

I use the virtual neutral density filter in Lighroom or ACR loads. Some time more than one per image

Obviously you need enough dynamic range for this but even the D70 rarely ran out. Ironically I got caught with D90 last week, despite have 2 more stops to play with.

This shot has 2 virtual neutral density filters one in the sky and one on the reflection of the sky.

KonstantinosD
Like?

Ok here it goes, first is NX, Second DxO, Third Lightroom.. I like Lightroom the most out of the box and I did use the ND filter on the top of the pic to cut down the highlights. Remember these are not great shots to begin with just something to look at for those waiting for their D7100 to arrive. This is by no means accurate comparison or anything, I just tried to get the most out of each program. Normally I use photoshop for sharpening and editing and all the rest but I've tried to avoid it for the purposes of this mini comparison. Also for the Lightroom image I used my Color Checker Passport, so again, not a fair comparison.

NX

DxO

LR

john Clinch
Like?

All look better then the first go!

PS some on the MFT forum tried to convince me that DXO mark was in every way better than lightroom. Can't say I'm convinced

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?

I'm not upgrading from DXO 7, let alone the way overpriced Elite version which would be needed for my present camera.  But it is nice to have another option than the two excellent ones (CNX2 and LR4/ACR) available for those who like the DXO way of doing things.  A very light hand with the sharpening seems to be the order of the day for AAless cameras.

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067Gear list
Like?
Secret to optimizing DXO to work on NEFs?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 12, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

DXO is not known for a good nef conversion by default. Once dialed in, though, it can be outstanding.  This one shows camera and lens to excellent advantage.  No noise and sharp as all get out, with excellent tonal scale.  Very nice work.

I would as a rule turn the DXO Lens softness way down, as things can get crunchy in a hurry in pursuit of corner sharpness, even though they claim it doesn't :^)

If you have the secret Reilly (or know a link to a good web site), enlighten us about setting up DXO.  Hate LR's work fllow, but agree with KonstantinosD, that LR did a much better job on that picture.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to KonstantinosD, Apr 12, 2013

Looks sharp - and very flat. Maybe it's the lighting? Too much NR? 

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Like?
Re: Secret to optimizing DXO to work on NEFs?
In reply to nkistrup, Apr 12, 2013

I would be speculating if I gave an opinion on DXO 8.  I'm out of date at version 7 and will probably never update, simply because there isn't a reason for me not to use LR4, with its far superior speed of operation and beautiful raw conversion for my particular camera.  The D7000 really liked DXO's conversion, but it took me a lot of tweaking and peeping to get it where I needed it to be.  Take some time, and I'm pretty sure your results will be very good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads