Why Win8 will succeed. Or fail.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
Arved
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354
Like?
Re: they could have two operating systems
In reply to Sean Nelson, May 5, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

It's hard to imagine why someone would want to run a sophisticated application like Photoshop on a phone.

Same reason they're using their phone as a camera. It's there, there's no other device needed (like a P&S camera), and no need to do something as complex (ha!) as transfer the file into another device for editing. The more the one device - the phone - can do, the easier and better it is for the consumer.

Do I buy that? No, but I guess I'm not a mainstream techno-nerd who sticks his head in "the cloud."

But when you can do it on a free or <$5 app instead of paying $600+ for PSCSx... Money talks, and the rest walks.

-- hide signature --

- Arved
'Highlights next to shadows to create detail, depth, dimension and added color saturation.' - David Ziser

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,097
Like?
Re: they could have two operating systems
In reply to Arved, May 5, 2013

Arved wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

It's hard to imagine why someone would want to run a sophisticated application like Photoshop on a phone.

Same reason they're using their phone as a camera. It's there, there's no other device needed (like a P&S camera), and no need to do something as complex (ha!) as transfer the file into another device for editing. The more the one device - the phone - can do, the easier and better it is for the consumer.

Frankly, if a phone gives you enough screen real estate to be able to edit your photos (and I'm not talking about space for just the image but for all of the icons and controls for the editing tools you use) then you'd have to be an idiot to buy Photoshop because your needs are very simple indeed.

Photoshop is an extremely powerful editing program with the ability to handle layers, masks, nondestructive edits, animation - heck it can even edit video.   To harness all that power it supports user-configurable multiple panes with a host of panels and editing tools.   You simply can't cram all that stuff onto a 5" screen in any way that's productive.   There's no way that a phone screen show you the image you're working on along with a dozen editing tools, information for several layers, a list of macros, a list of the last several actions you've performed, a palette, etc. - all of which I have open and visible while using Photoshop.

And I haven't even mentioned how cumbersome it is continually scroll back and forth to be able to see clearly what you're doing with a 16MP image on a screen that small.

So sure, if you want to use a simple photo editor on your phone, fine - more power to you.   But if what you need is (as I said in my post) a sophisticated application like Photoshop, then forget about trying to use a phone to run it.   That's why desktop computers will always have at least a niche market in the future, and why a different kind of user interface is important for them.

There are plenty of applications like this.   Web page creation, document creation, video editing, spreadsheets, etc.   Sure, you can run simple versions of these kinds of apps on a phone, but the industrial strength ones need a desktop-sized screen, pure and simple.

N13L5
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
Re: Microsoft relents with Windows 8.1
In reply to Michael Firstlight, Jun 27, 2013

Microsoft's Start menu button is a fake, it simply is a new link to the Windows 8 start screen.

Everybody who is using Windows 8 normally thanks to the free "Classic Shell" application should not install the Windows 8.1 preview until Classic Shell has been verified to work with Windows 8.1.

Otherwise you could be in for a rough awakening and loose your normal level of productivity for an undetermined amount of time.

Microsoft has further stated, that you cannot remove Windows 8.1 Preview once installed, without a full restore from some backup you would hopefully have.

So, if you have your computer just to mess around, by all means go ahead with the preview.  If you need to get serious work done, stay away.

N13L5's gear list:N13L5's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
N13L5
Like?
Re: Worst. PC. Sales. Ever.
In reply to CAcreeks, Jun 27, 2013

So many people equate PCs with "excitement"... I don't get it.

Shouldn't you be getting your excitement elsewhere?

Its a very useful tool no doubt. but...

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
N13L5
Like?
In reply to Michael Firstlight, Jun 27, 2013

ya, I use Windows 8 too, but only because of the existence of the Classic Shell software.

Windows 8 does feature some useful improvements under the hood.

Though file explorer has also gained some new annoyances. Like when you browse and scroll down on your drive / folder tree, it will just scroll you to the top out of the blue at least once after opening it.

If it wasn't for the software I have for windows, I'd be using something else.

Because all of microsoft's changes are not based on actual customer needs, but on an increasingly desperate corporate strategy for monopoly retention.

skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,950Gear list
Like?
In reply to N13L5, Jun 27, 2013

N13L5 wrote:

ya, I use Windows 8 too, but only because of the existence of the Classic Shell software.

My friend and me too.

Because all of microsoft's changes are not based on actual customer needs, but on an increasingly desperate corporate strategy for monopoly retention.

Agree with the "not based on actual customer needs" part.  When MS removed the Win7 start menu functionality, (which was in already in the development version of Win8), from the release version of Win8, I arrived at the same conclusion.

Sky

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads