Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Questions
nuschu
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please
Apr 10, 2013

I'm heading out to the pacific northwest in late May and I'd like to get my tripod purchase squared away.  Right now I have a Canon 60D and I don't have any equipment with a lot of weight to it... I'm looking at the Canon 300mm F4 or the Canon 100-400mm as a future purchase, so 4.5-5lbs of weight for the camera body+lens max when accounting for possible, near future purchases.  I'm looking to use it mainly for shooting macro, landscape, outdoor randomness, and some long exposure ND filter experimentation.

From what I've read it seems like most people push to spend as much money as possible since this is a purchase that will stick around for awhile and to avoid having to spend more when the initial purchase doesn't work out.  I've actually come around on this a bit and raised my initial spending expectation, but I don't see myself going much past the $600 mark.

I'd like to go carbon fiber and since I'll be carrying this thing around a lot and I'm looking for something light enough and quick enough to setup that I won't make excuses not to use it.

A friend of mine has the following setup and is pretty happy with it, and the weight/size is about where I want to be.

Manfrotto 055cxpro3
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584476-REG/Manfrotto_055CXPRO3_055CXPRO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Manfrotto 054 Magnesium Ball Head with Q5 Quick Release
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754049-REG/Manfrotto_MH054M0_Q5_054_Magnesium_Ball_Head.html

I've also seen a lot threads cite this article http://bythom.com/support.htm, but I don't have $1000+ to put into this.  I've read stuff from people who don't seem to care for the Manfrotto stuff and lean more towards Gitzo legs with a ball head from Arca-Swiss, Markins or Really Right Stuff.  Any advice or recommendations in the $500-$600 range for both legs and ball head would be great.  Same goes for any help on why I should or shouldn't go the Manfrotto route, lever release legs vs twist lock, basically any feedback would be great to help me narrow this thing down.

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Walt Schwab
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Tripod research is testing my sanity, advice please
In reply to nuschu, Apr 10, 2013

Here ya go....  http://reallybigcameras.com/

-- hide signature --

Walt

Walt Schwab's gear list:Walt Schwab's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 11, 2013

Feel your pain!  After screwing up my tripod purchase, wised up & got the Gitzo GT2531 tripod & GM5541.  They can handle anything that I'll throw at them.  Problem was with the heads.  20-20 hindsight, should have gone A-S compatible, as you suggested.  (Goofed by going with the Gitzo Safari ball head and the Manfrotto 234RC tilt head.)

Thinking an ArcaTech gimbal ball head for the tripod & a RRS monopod head

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?
I think you would benefit from spending a little more

Without getting into Gitzo price territory, I think you could do better.

For a little more than the Manfrotto legs the Feisol ct3442 rapid is a lot lighter and is more compact folded. It does this by doing away with the centre column (available as an optional extra). I've been surprised at how I've yet to miss the flexibility of a centre column, and I find the ct3442 quite tall enough for comfortable use (I'm 5' 10").

The Feisol legs add another $50 to your budget, but I think where you're really going to notice the benefit is with an Arca-Swiss system ballhead. With a custom plate for your DSLR, you'll get a more solid connection between the ballhead and camera than with Manfrotto's system.

I use a ballhead from Photoclam which is excellent, but a little too small for your needs. Both the Markins M10 and Feisols own CB40 ballhead get excellent reviews for their respective price points. Unfortunately the Markins will take you quite a bit over your budget, but google around for a few more opinions and I think you might be persuaded.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
BackroadsTraveler
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

nuschu wrote:

I'm heading out to the pacific northwest in late May and I'd like to get my tripod purchase squared away.  Right now I have a Canon 60D and I don't have any equipment with a lot of weight to it... I'm looking at the Canon 300mm F4 or the Canon 100-400mm as a future purchase, so 4.5-5lbs of weight for the camera body+lens max when accounting for possible, near future purchases.  I'm looking to use it mainly for shooting macro, landscape, outdoor randomness, and some long exposure ND filter experimentation.

From what I've read it seems like most people push to spend as much money as possible since this is a purchase that will stick around for awhile and to avoid having to spend more when the initial purchase doesn't work out.  I've actually come around on this a bit and raised my initial spending expectation, but I don't see myself going much past the $600 mark.

I'd like to go carbon fiber and since I'll be carrying this thing around a lot and I'm looking for something light enough and quick enough to setup that I won't make excuses not to use it.

A friend of mine has the following setup and is pretty happy with it, and the weight/size is about where I want to be.

Manfrotto 055cxpro3
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584476-REG/Manfrotto_055CXPRO3_055CXPRO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Manfrotto 054 Magnesium Ball Head with Q5 Quick Release
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/754049-REG/Manfrotto_MH054M0_Q5_054_Magnesium_Ball_Head.html

I've also seen a lot threads cite this article http://bythom.com/support.htm, but I don't have $1000+ to put into this.  I've read stuff from people who don't seem to care for the Manfrotto stuff and lean more towards Gitzo legs with a ball head from Arca-Swiss, Markins or Really Right Stuff.  Any advice or recommendations in the $500-$600 range for both legs and ball head would be great.  Same goes for any help on why I should or shouldn't go the Manfrotto route, lever release legs vs twist lock, basically any feedback would be great to help me narrow this thing down.

You will likely get as many suggestions here on tripod brands and heads as you get responses, which will likely continue to test your sanity!

I went through a similar dilemma recently, and a similar long and frustrating research. I'm pleased with my selection (I went Manfrotto, but that isn't important here.)

The suggestion I want to make here is that you select heads and tripods which allow you to standardize your quick release system. For instance, I think RSS stuff is not easily interchanged with any other system, so if you go that route, count on spending enough money to have all matching heads and brackets of the same brand.

I now have a primary and secondary tripod, depending upon expected use and how far I've traveled, plus a monopod. All have the same QR system, so I can keep matching plates mounted on my camera body and big lenses.  This is so fast and easy that I use my tripod and monopod more frequently than if I needed to mount the camera via the threaded screw each time.

-- hide signature --

BRT

BackroadsTraveler's gear list:BackroadsTraveler's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
fpessolano
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116
Like?

Asking an advice on tripod will give you an headache as nobody will agree completely, since we all look at things differently and not everybody thinks GITZO is the only choice for a solid tripod.

I suggest you made up your mind on size (folded and extended with column not extended for stability), weight, maximum load, need of a hook on the column, stability (basically tube diameter, sections and tripod weight versus the kids on weather you foresee), and so on.

I ended up with three actually (travel, all purpose, heavy lenses/stability) and only one is carbon fiber.

Same for tripod heads ... ton of choice. But here at least the good ones have similar pricing.

Good luck.

nuschu
Like?
Re: I think you would benefit from spending a little more
In reply to Kuppenbender, Apr 12, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

Without getting into Gitzo price territory, I think you could do better.

For a little more than the Manfrotto legs the Feisol ct3442 rapid is a lot lighter and is more compact folded. It does this by doing away with the centre column (available as an optional extra). I've been surprised at how I've yet to miss the flexibility of a centre column, and I find the ct3442 quite tall enough for comfortable use (I'm 5' 10").

The Feisol legs add another $50 to your budget, but I think where you're really going to notice the benefit is with an Arca-Swiss system ballhead. With a custom plate for your DSLR, you'll get a more solid connection between the ballhead and camera than with Manfrotto's system.

I use a ballhead from Photoclam which is excellent, but a little too small for your needs. Both the Markins M10 and Feisols own CB40 ballhead get excellent reviews for their respective price points. Unfortunately the Markins will take you quite a bit over your budget, but google around for a few more opinions and I think you might be persuaded.

I have to say I'm finding the Feisol pretty compelling from a size standpoint.  Have you had any issues with stability at all?  After watching a review on setup and breakdown I can really see the benefit in speed with the twist lock style legs over the lever locks and it overcomes a fear of mine that if the tripod is too bulky that I'll end up leaving it home more often than not.  I just wouldn't want to sacrifice stability since that's the whole point of a tripod to begin with, especially with some of the long exposure shots I'd like to experiment with.

As for the ballhead, do you have a particular Arca Swiss you'd recommend for that weight load?

Thanks for all the help

Kuppenbender
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 12, 2013

nuschu wrote:

I have to say I'm finding the Feisol pretty compelling from a size standpoint.  Have you had any issues with stability at all?

No, none whatsoever.

After watching a review on setup and breakdown I can really see the benefit in speed with the twist lock style legs over the lever locks and it overcomes a fear of mine that if the tripod is too bulky that I'll end up leaving it home more often than not.

That was my reason for going with the Feisol. In my case I was upgrading from an old aluminium Manfrotto. The few hundred grams saved has made the world of difference as to whether or not the tripod leaves the house.

I just wouldn't want to sacrifice stability since that's the whole point of a tripod to begin with, especially with some of the long exposure shots I'd like to experiment with.

The design of the ct3442 brings the camera a lot closer to the apex of the tripod than with other designs. If anything this makes it more stable than other tripods, even those with a higher claimed maximum load.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
nuschu
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Apr 12, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

nuschu wrote:

I have to say I'm finding the Feisol pretty compelling from a size standpoint.  Have you had any issues with stability at all?

No, none whatsoever.

After watching a review on setup and breakdown I can really see the benefit in speed with the twist lock style legs over the lever locks and it overcomes a fear of mine that if the tripod is too bulky that I'll end up leaving it home more often than not.

That was my reason for going with the Feisol. In my case I was upgrading from an old aluminium Manfrotto. The few hundred grams saved has made the world of difference as to whether or not the tripod leaves the house.

I just wouldn't want to sacrifice stability since that's the whole point of a tripod to begin with, especially with some of the long exposure shots I'd like to experiment with.

The design of the ct3442 brings the camera a lot closer to the apex of the tripod than with other designs. If anything this makes it more stable than other tripods, even those with a higher claimed maximum load.

What do you think of the Photo Clam PC-44NS..  You don't think that would support the weight?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827536-REG/Photo_Clam_PCBH_PC44NS_Ball_Head_with_Friction.html

tmctavish
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 13, 2013

With a couple of heavy tripods from my pro days, I went thru all the deliberation over a tripod for travel [& photo daypack]. One I could carry on my day pack, was stable enough for the heaviest of my digital outfits - my Sony A77 with battery grip and Sony 70-400 G lens [which isnt a light combo] and was not heavy or bulky and would fit well on my modified Lowepro photosport 200aw day-pack. I finally decided on the Three legged Thing "Brian". 1.7kgs, 5 section, carbon fiber legs, mono-pod convertible, column hook to add weight [ie: hang my pack] for extra stability, very nicely made and these Englishmen who designed them, named them after famous Rock guitarists. So all good It is going to Hawaii with me in 2 days. A search on Youtube will show a good demo by the company owner. There are so many good options out there that are hard to fault, this was just my choice and thus far I am very happy with it... cheers. Cam

Kuppenbender
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 13, 2013

nuschu wrote:.

What do you think of the Photo Clam PC-44NS..  You don't think that would support the weight?

I have no doubt the Photoclam PC-44NS would be absolutely fine. I have the much smaller Photoclam PC-30  (30mm diameter ball) which I've used with the very small Olympus E600 and 70-300mm with no problems whatsoever.

The ballhead has a luxuriously smooth fit and finish. It is heads and shoulders above the Manfrotto and Gitzo heads in that respect. There is no issue with the (very unbalanced) camera creeping out of place when I tighten it up and I would expect the larger PC44 to have no problems with your larger set up.

Unfortunately most of the middle to upmarket heads are unavailable for comparison in-store and you have to take a bit of a chance when ordering online. There are a number of heads that look very promising from their online reviews but which I can't personally recommend as I haven't used them.

That said, I think it's safe to say that all the usual suspects (RRS, Kirk, Acratech, Markins and Arca-Swiss) with a 40mm+ sized ball are going to be safe if expensive choices. Snapping at their heels would be the relatively new brands including Photoclam, Sunwayfoto  and even the newer low profile heads from Benro (G3) and Induro.

Those lowprofile heads ( RRS-style) may have clearance problems with the wide top plate on the Feisol ct3442, though.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to BackroadsTraveler, Apr 14, 2013

BackroadsTraveler wrote:

The suggestion I want to make here is that you select heads and tripods which allow you to standardize your quick release system. For instance, I think RSS stuff is not easily interchanged with any other system, so if you go that route, count on spending enough money to have all matching heads and brackets of the same brand.

Just to clarify, there is no problem with RRS stuff with respect to interchangeability. I use Kirk (L-plates), Acratech (ballheads), Gitzo (tripods) and Really Right Stuff (pano equipment, clamps, brackets) etc... It all plays well with each other, no compatibility issues at all.

BackroadsTraveler
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to Framer, Apr 14, 2013

Framer wrote:

BackroadsTraveler wrote:

Just to clarify, there is no problem with RRS stuff with respect to interchangeability. I use Kirk (L-plates), Acratech (ballheads), Gitzo (tripods) and Really Right Stuff (pano equipment, clamps, brackets) etc... It all plays well with each other, no compatibility issues at all.

You are obviously more experienced than I, since I have never used Acratech or Gitzo equipment. I recently researched several manufacturers with the intent of 'standardizing' some of my equipment. As highly regarded as RSS is, I was turned away from going that direction because of quotes like this from the RSS website:

Only Really Right Stuff, Wimberley, and Kirk (manufactured within the last year) will be compatible with our lever-release clamps. However all Arca-Swiss style plates work with our scew-release clamps. "To ensure compatibility with lever-release clamps, we offer $22.50 trade-in discount towards a purchase of a Really Right Stuff quick-release plate if you use a plate from Kirk, Foba, Markins, Arcatech, Novoflex, or Arca-Swiss. Plate exchange only for identical model; you must send your plate at time of exchange to qualify for this discount." (see page 31 of the Really Right Stuff catalog for more details).

Perhaps I wasn't asking the correct question. But RSS makes the point several times on their site that much of their equipment is intended to work only with other RSS products. Maybe a marketing ploy, but it scared me away!

-- hide signature --

BRT

BackroadsTraveler's gear list:BackroadsTraveler's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Kuppenbender
Like?
In reply to BackroadsTraveler, Apr 14, 2013

BackroadsTraveler wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't asking the correct question. But RSS makes the point several times on their site that much of their equipment is intended to work only with other RSS products. Maybe a marketing ploy, but it scared me away!

Probably part marketing ploy and part covering their backs in case of unhappy customers.

Here's a detailed chart of compatibility issues with Arca-Swiss style plates and clamps. As they point out, Arca-Swiss is more of a 'style' than a regulated and fixed 'standard', so there will be some compatibility issues between brands:

www.afximages.com

I think the main issue with RRS stuff is that while RRS clamps fit other makes of ballheads, RRS ballheads only accept RRS clamps.

Other than that, apart from FLM stuff, RRS plates and clamps appear to be fairly interchangeable.

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Apr 14, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

BackroadsTraveler wrote:

Probably part marketing ploy and part covering their backs in case of unhappy customers.

Here's a detailed chart of compatibility issues with Arca-Swiss style plates and clamps. As they point out, Arca-Swiss is more of a 'style' than a regulated and fixed 'standard', so there will be some compatibility issues between brands:

www.afximages.com

I think the main issue with RRS stuff is that while RRS clamps fit other makes of ballheads, RRS ballheads only accept RRS clamps.

Other than that, apart from FLM stuff, RRS plates and clamps appear to be fairly interchangeable.

Thanks Kuppenbender,

Getting ready to upgrade the heads on my monopod & tripod, and was concerned about which company's A-S compatible parts actually play nice with others.  Big relief, because even if I could exchange an item, critical time could be lost.

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
nuschu
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 15, 2013

So now the setup I'm leaning toward is the Feisol legs with the Photo Clam head...

Feisol CT-3442
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/848831-REG/FEISOL_CT_3442_Tournament_CT_3442_Rapid_Tripod.html

Photo Clam PC-44NS
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844838-REG/Photo_Clam_PCBH_PC44NSR_PC_44NS_Ball_Head_Red_.html

I also wasn't sure if I should go with a conventional plate or an L-Plate (I've been reading up on the Sunwayfoto version L plate on the cheap end, but I don't know much about it.. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827732-REG/Sunwayfoto_DPL_03_DPL_03_Universal_L_Bracket_Quick_Release.html )

This seems to be the best counter to an all out Gitzo + Markins dream tripod

Any counters to this or reasons to think this wouldn't do the trick?

nuschu
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 15, 2013

I did some more looking and ran into the RRS L-plate, looks like exactly like what I'd want.  Just searching around to see how compatible the RRS plates are with the Photo Clam head...

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B60D-L-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=B60D-L-Set%3a-Includes-Base-%2b-L-Plate&key=it

LifeIsAVerb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
In reply to nuschu, Apr 24, 2013

I landed here because i was going through a similar process with finding a monopod. I guess monopod was mentioned once, so this thread showed up in a search, but it looks like this is all about tripods.

While i'm here, though, i'll put in a slightly qualified plug for Feisol. I bought a used set of their  CT-3402 legs locally, at a good price. They seem sturdy and well made. Went ahead and got their CB-30C ball head (i have a smaller camera, the Sony NEX-7), center column, and the VH40HA adapter to be able to use a center column as an arm to give some more flexibility to position the camera in odd positions.

It's all well made and solid enough, and everything operates smoothly. The only real issue i've found is that there's no provided way to lock the head onto the top platform of the column or the top plate of the tripod. Manfrotto/Bogen has three little set screws that screw into the mounting platform from underneath that, when tightened, lock the head (or the VH40HA adapter) in place so it can't be accidentally unscrewed when fiddling with positioning the tripod/camera set up. Not sure what other manufacturers do for this, as i've only previously owned Manny/Bogen.

With the Feisol, one just screws the head down as hard as possible, but i still have it loosen up on me now and then in use. I tried putting a flat, rubber washer under the head to provide some friction/resistance. This seems to help, but it's still not possible to torque it down enough to prevent it from occasionally unscrewing.

I'm using the above set-up for outdoor macro stuff, so there's a lot of tightening, un-tightening, and moving things around to get the camera just where it needs to be, so i may be more apt to unscrew the head more than someone else doing work which involves less fussing.

VidJa
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
In reply to tmctavish, Apr 24, 2013

Wow, thanks for the 3legged thing, they look great and actually sell around the corner (between all the velbon and cullman mainstream stuff)

I was about to go Manfrotto, but this may change my route.

On Topic: after a long time research I decided to go a different route and just mailed some of my favourite photographers for advice or took their gear list with the rationale that if active landscape photographers actively use something it is actually practical. That boiled down to the Manfrotto mentioned in the opening post.

-- hide signature --

'The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.', Eleanor Roosevelt
http://www.vidja.nl

jayha
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, Apr 28, 2013

You might try using a product like loctite's removable thread glue. I believe it's a blue color. It's like plumber's pipe dope and locks the threaded sections/parts together until you need to seperate them. They also make a more permanent type product as well.

-- hide signature --

Thanks! Jay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads