Perfect!

Started Apr 10, 2013 | User reviews
Ron A 19
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Perfect!
Apr 10, 2013

Feels great in my hand. Control layout is uncluttered and very easy to use. Menu is advanced but simple to understand. Viewfinder is clean and bright (not too many AF points to interfere with my view). Live view is excellent and the magnification allows you to check your focusing accuracy. The battery seems to last forever.

Image quality is stellar. Colours are spot on and the metering works perfectly. I'm very pleased, and, really, image quality is all that counts when you use a camera.

High ISO images up to 6400 are all great and usable for cropping. 12800 to 25600 you can still use the pictures for most applications, but there's more noise. I'm quite pleased: I can shoot in a pitch black room, where my eyes can't even focus. So everything I shoot can be naturally lit. No more blurry shots!

I'm not a sports photographer, and have attached high quality manual focus lenses. 4.5 frames per second is too much for me to handle in terms of the amount of space it'll take up on my PC. Connect some Zeiss or other manual SLR lenses and the image quality compares very favourably with the Leica M for a fraction of the price. If you don't believe me, check the forums.

Full HD video is a great feature. Look on youtube for some samples - they are very impressive. Couple the 6D with some bright primes, and the results are broadcast quality.

The wifi is great! I don't need a remote because I can use my phone and see what the camera is currently pointed at. Then focus and shoot! And, unlike a remote, I can use "live view" through my phone. GPS is an amazing feature and those who knock it are just being flippant. For many people who travel, it's a nice extra feature to have to be able to trace the origin of a photo.

A lot of people on the forums think there is a battle between Nikon and Canon (and occasionally also Leica and Sony) for FF dominance, and that they must pick a side. This is ridiculous. I got this camera because it was at an acceptable price point, and it met my specific needs given the lenses I already have and those that I intend to purchase. I don't print billboards and I rarely pixel peep.

Also, many people on the forums or on review sites compare this camera to APS-C cameras and discuss how the resolution and ISO compare. This is missing the point. You cannot compare an APS-C to a FF sensor any more than a you would compare a FF to a Medium-format Hasselblad. They have different purposes. In particular, regardless of how low your light is or how sharp the image is, the effect you get from a larger sensor with a wide-aperture lens gives pictures a different quality - typically with a narrower DOF. There is no better or worse - it depends on your goals. For me, I wanted to increase my bokeh, which means that FF with bright primes is key. For me, perfect focussing accuracy is secondary.

Remember: a camera is a tool, so don't dwell too much on total weight or viewfinder size or pixel count. Make sure it is intuitive and responsive so that you can get the most out of it. Get whichever one you want. In my opinion, the Canon 6D is perfect. The only improvement I can think of would be to lower the price.

Ron A 19's gear list:Ron A 19's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Ron A 19's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,359Gear list
Like?
Re: Perfect!
In reply to Ron A 19, Apr 10, 2013

Ron A 19 wrote:

Feels great in my hand. Control layout is uncluttered and very easy to use. Menu is advanced but simple to understand. Viewfinder is clean and bright (not too many AF points to interfere with my view).

Glad you love the camera, but this one made me laugh.  Lord knows you wouldn't want focus points, they just get in the way!  Certainly if this is the case for you, the 6D IS perfect.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
In reply to Ron A 19, Apr 11, 2013

"In my opinion, the Canon 6D is perfect"..................

And that is what is important to you. Perhaps this is more a reflection of your opinions than an actual review. An overall 'excellent' is really remarkable!

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,774Gear list
Like?
In reply to canuck dave, Apr 11, 2013

Yes.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II +3 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,142Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Apr 11, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Ron A 19 wrote:

Feels great in my hand. Control layout is uncluttered and very easy to use. Menu is advanced but simple to understand. Viewfinder is clean and bright (not too many AF points to interfere with my view).

Glad you love the camera, but this one made me laugh.  Lord knows you wouldn't want focus points, they just get in the way!  Certainly if this is the case for you, the 6D IS perfect.

PErhaps you have missed the point where the OP states he uses manual focus lenses? I use my 6D with Zeiss ZE lenses (50mm and 25mm), and the number of focus points in the camera is enough. They could be a bit more further apart though.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Keith Z Leonard
Like?
In reply to biza43, Apr 11, 2013

biza43 wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Ron A 19 wrote:

PErhaps you have missed the point where the OP states he uses manual focus lenses? I use my 6D with Zeiss ZE lenses (50mm and 25mm), and the number of focus points in the camera is enough. They could be a bit more further apart though.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

I did not miss the point, thanks, seems a bit short sighted though to give the 6D a perfect score when there are clearly more capable cameras out there.  I get that it is perfect for OP's uses, but that doesn't mean this is an objective review, more like an overly happy new owner.

I like my 5Dmk3 quite a lot, but it isn't perfect.  It could use with better DR at low ISO, for instance, or even 8fps (I find the 8fps of my 7D quite enough, the 6fps is probably also enough, just seems slow in comparison).  The 6D is a better option for MF though, as you can get a split prism screen with little effort.  I enjoy MF on my old AE-1, but I wouldn't say it's "perfect" for sports, for instance.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,473
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Apr 11, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Ron A 19 wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

I did not miss the point, thanks, seems a bit short sighted though to give the 6D a perfect score when there are clearly more capable cameras out there.  I get that it is perfect for OP's uses, but that doesn't mean this is an objective review, more like an overly happy new owner.

I like my 5Dmk3 quite a lot, but it isn't perfect.  It could use with better DR at low ISO, for instance, or even 8fps (I find the 8fps of my 7D quite enough, the 6fps is probably also enough, just seems slow in comparison).  The 6D is a better option for MF though, as you can get a split prism screen with little effort.  I enjoy MF on my old AE-1, but I wouldn't say it's "perfect" for sports, for instance.

Every review in the world is based on opinion.

djourisman
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
In reply to 69chevy, Apr 11, 2013

Of course! The 6D does everything I need and more. I don't shoot sports, just landscape and travel photography. I'm looking forward to taking some shots at dusk and seeing what the camera comes up with.

How to improve? Perfect would be a combination of 6D IQ with T2i weight.

Keith Z Leonard
Like?
In reply to djourisman, Apr 11, 2013

djourisman wrote:

Of course! The 6D does everything I need and more. I don't shoot sports, just landscape and travel photography. I'm looking forward to taking some shots at dusk and seeing what the camera comes up with.

Nice, yeah if you could get that weight in the same size body, personally I like the larger body.  

Ron A 19
Like?
In reply to Ron A 19, 8 months ago

The 6D is a stellar and solid camera. I've had it for about a year, and I assert it truly delivers great images in any light.

Here are some of my personal favourites from my stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genomicsron/10548516385/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genomicsron/10548777213/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genomicsron/10548633453/

In general, I found the images have incredible dynamic range, and the highlights and shadows are recoverable in Lightroom (4.4) with ease. I shoot manual lenses, so I can't comment on AF performance.

What bothers me is the negative reputation this camera has received on the web. For a sports photographer who uses a 600mm lens daily, this likely isn't the go-to camera. The 6D is the most affordable full frame sensor camera out there right now. People tend to focus on low light and resolution aspects of FF sensors, but a major benefit of using a FF sensor is the perspective it creates (See here: http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/#1).

Using a FF sensor and 50mm lens I can separate my subjects from the background. The same field of view on a m4/3 sensor using a 25mm lens will look very flat in comparison, and, in my opinion, very much like a point and shoot camera or like an iPhone. Of course, some photographers prefer the flatter look of Olympus OM-D images, for landscapes for example, so it's about user preference. I prefer more bokeh because I like to take pictures of people at a distance of ~10 feet from me. (I also shoot at iso 12800-25600 a lot because I like to take unique-looking bokeh-rich pictures of people indoors at dimly lit parties and post these unsmudged pictures to facebook where noise isn't visible).

The D600 was a flop because of the sensor oil spots, and was quickly replaced by the D610. It's now illegal to sell the D600 in China. Every forum writer on the internet was certain the 6D would never compare to the D600, but it has certainly outperformed it. In my opinion, the 6D has better design: better control layout and a more comfortable grip. It also feels more solid and less plasticy.

The sony A7 is still a prototype with too few lenses. Third party lenses can yield awful corner performance results (especially wide primes). At the same price point, the 6D outperforms it. Also, I personally love the 6D's bright optical viewfinder and a battery that can last 1000 shots, both missing on the A7.

The 6D is a mature professional camera with image quality matching it's $3000 counterpart, the 5DMkIII, for half the price. I still highly recommend it.

Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 925Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ron A 19, 8 months ago

Ron A 19 wrote:

The 6D is a stellar and solid camera. I've had it for about a year, and I assert it truly delivers great images in any light.

Here are some of my personal favourites from my stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genomicsron/10548516385/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genomicsron/10548777213/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/genomicsron/10548633453/

In general, I found the images have incredible dynamic range, and the highlights and shadows are recoverable in Lightroom (4.4) with ease. I shoot manual lenses, so I can't comment on AF performance.

What bothers me is the negative reputation this camera has received on the web. For a sports photographer who uses a 600mm lens daily, this likely isn't the go-to camera. The 6D is the most affordable full frame sensor camera out there right now. People tend to focus on low light and resolution aspects of FF sensors, but a major benefit of using a FF sensor is the perspective it creates (See here: http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/#1)..)

Using a FF sensor and 50mm lens I can separate my subjects from the background. The same field of view on a m4/3 sensor using a 25mm lens will look very flat in comparison, and, in my opinion, very much like a point and shoot camera or like an iPhone. Of course, some photographers prefer the flatter look of Olympus OM-D images, for landscapes for example, so it's about user preference. I prefer more bokeh because I like to take pictures of people at a distance of ~10 feet from me. (I also shoot at iso 12800-25600 a lot because I like to take unique-looking bokeh-rich pictures of people indoors at dimly lit parties and post these unsmudged pictures to facebook where noise isn't visible).

The D600 was a flop because of the sensor oil spots, and was quickly replaced by the D610. It's now illegal to sell the D600 in China. Every forum writer on the internet was certain the 6D would never compare to the D600, but it has certainly outperformed it. In my opinion, the 6D has better design: better control layout and a more comfortable grip. It also feels more solid and less plasticy.

The sony A7 is still a prototype with too few lenses. Third party lenses can yield awful corner performance results (especially wide primes). At the same price point, the 6D outperforms it. Also, I personally love the 6D's bright optical viewfinder and a battery that can last 1000 shots, both missing on the A7.

The 6D is a mature professional camera with image quality matching it's $3000 counterpart, the 5DMkIII, for half the price. I still highly recommend it.

Nice read and cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
aramgrg
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?
In reply to djourisman, 8 months ago

Perfect would be with infinetely small body with infinitely many mp, infinely small amount of noise in infinely high iso, etc... But for now , A7 is a step forward in the market, and probably in the nearest future m43 will be the biggest sensor people will use. Everything else will be for studio work.

aramgrg's gear list:aramgrg's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Ron A 19
Like?
In reply to aramgrg, 8 months ago

aramgrg wrote:

Perfect would be with infinetely small body with infinitely many mp, infinely small amount of noise in infinely high iso, etc... But for now , A7 is a step forward in the market, and probably in the nearest future m43 will be the biggest sensor people will use. Everything else will be for studio work.

I'm kinda hoping Canon comes out with an affordable consumer medium format with a whole bunch of lenses, in a similar way that Leica unveiled the Leica S with a whole bunch of new lenses all at once. That would be one amazing bokeh machine. Imagine shooting everything at 80mm, but getting the perspective of 50mm. Also, a 20 megapixel sensor at that size would soak in so much light, the ISO wars would be over! Also, the viewfinder view would be immersive, like it supposedly is on the Leica S. Honestly, I know it's likely never going to happen, but it would be so cool

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads