Peel off delaminating Trublack screen or leave it?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 477
Like?
Peel off delaminating Trublack screen or leave it?
Apr 10, 2013

I have a NEX 5N with Trublack screen that is starting to delaminate. The outer edges are now shinier, while the middle is still "true black". Is it better to leave it as is (at least the main screen is still true black) or peel it off and replace with a screen protector?

I've peeled a delaminating screen off a NEX 3 and replaced with a screen protector before, which worked fine. However although it will make it look better, I'm wondering if it's better to leave it and keep at least some of the antireflective capability of the trublack.

Can anyone comment on reflection/glare differences using the stock trublack screen vs. an aftermarket screen protector?

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: Peel off delaminating Trublack screen or leave it?
In reply to saintz, Apr 11, 2013

Can you describe how you 'peeled' off the coating on your previous camera ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
saintz
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Apr 11, 2013

There is a thin, hard plastic layer that's glued to the glass of the screen. If you flick a nail under a corner, it will lift from the glass. It's basically a built in screen protector but it's also what's supposed to give the anti-glare and true black capability to the glass. Once the corner is lifted, just peel and it will come off. This will remove the layer that has the delaminating effect. You are left with just the glass screen. I would recommend putting a screen protector on at this point.

The question is really if it's better leaving this layer if it's delaminating, or if it is better to just remove it.

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,837
Like?

Sony is going to replace mine under warranty. I already have the docs to send it back after my trip. Is yours still under warranty?

saintz
Like?
In reply to Glenn, Apr 11, 2013

Doubtful, I bought it second hand.

saintz
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Apr 11, 2013
Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,837
Like?

mine too. Warranty is transferable actually. Those other cameras are non touch screen. Any difference?
--
http://www.daisyseyecancerfund.org/Files/Awareness/photographing_rb_poster.pdf

ryansholl
Contributing MemberPosts: 582
Like?

I can't say for certain whether in direct sunlight it's still useful to have that trublack coating, but what I can say without a doubt is that it is nicer 100% of the time when not in direct sunlight to not have that godawful difference between the center and edges of the screen.  At the time my nex 7's replacement cover came in the mail the screen looked like absolute crap.
I'd rip it off and replace it in a heartbeat.

Keit ll
Like?
In reply to ryansholl, Apr 12, 2013

The problem that I have is that there doesn't appear to be a laminated film over my LCD ? If there is one on my NEX 7 it is well & truly stuck onto its base.

I polished the mottled surface until I had removed it all but was left with a slightly wavy surface which gives a mild distortion to the LCD display. If the accounts are correct do I still have this film on  my LCD & if so how can I persuade it to peel off ?

What is the surface left when this film is peeled off , is it plastic ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Emrik
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Apr 12, 2013

Yes, i too would like to find out if the nex 6 and 7 have the same layer? Anyone with experience pls answer?

I have one scratch i would like to get rid of dead centre of screen on my 6. Would like to then use sony semi hard protector.

Can we buy the same anti glare film from sony and apply a new layer? The descriptions for all the screen protector range dont seem to mention Tru-black.

Emrik's gear list:Emrik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
FumbleDuck
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to saintz, Apr 12, 2013

saintz wrote:

This is the process:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/04/18/replacing-nex-lcd-cover-glass/

I loved this solution right up to the point (in the comments) where the  author says that a phones touch-screen did not work with the replacement glass installed. So it might ruin the touch screen function of the NEX-5n.

Some may see that as an improvement - I would not, The capacitive touchscreen on the NEX-5n is one of the best features in the entire NEX line-up (the 5r is resistive which is a step backwards as far as I understand).

However, they did replace the tru-black film with a piece of glass. I wonder if you could replace it with a similar film that would still keep the touch sensitivity. I know other screen protectors dont affect touch so that might be a solution - BUT they are placed ON TOP of the tru-black layer (so the tru-black layer may be essential to provide touch - I just dont know).

David Smith - Photographer
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to saintz, 8 months ago

I had just bought my NEX-7 when I read the stories about the dreaded peeling screen. Luckily the problem is less severe then I thought it was. I think that it's best to just peel off the damaged layer (without warping or scratching the screen underneath) and replace it with the plastic Sony PCK-LM1EA (you can order it directly from Sony) or any third party (glass or plastic) protector you like. There are several listed on eBay. It's not that hard to do and it can be done in minutes. You can also let Sony repair it for you. You'll probably be without a camera for several weeks though. My screen still looks fine but I put a Sony PCK-LM1EA on it. Maybe this will prevent the original layer from getting damaged.

This might be an interesting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW724cngWk4

jkh13
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to David Smith - Photographer, 8 months ago

Has anyone determined whether the NEX 6 screen film is removable? Mine has a pretty bad scratch in the middle and I want to remove it and put on a glass cover if possible but I don't want to ruin the screen by trying to remove the cover if it is not easily removable.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,687Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Smith - Photographer, 8 months ago

David Smith - Photographer wrote:

I had just bought my NEX-7 when I read the stories about the dreaded peeling screen. Luckily the problem is less severe then I thought it was. I think that it's best to just peel off the damaged layer (without warping or scratching the screen underneath) and replace it with the plastic Sony PCK-LM1EA (you can order it directly from Sony) or any third party (glass or plastic) protector you like. There are several listed on eBay. It's not that hard to do and it can be done in minutes. You can also let Sony repair it for you. You'll probably be without a camera for several weeks though. My screen still looks fine but I put a Sony PCK-LM1EA on it. Maybe this will prevent the original layer from getting damaged.

This might be an interesting video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW724cngWk4

When I sent my NEX-5 to Sony's Dallas repair center to have the screen replaced, I had it back within a week. Are they that much slower now?

On my NEX-7, I replaced the LCD myself... but the touchscreen LCD for the 5N is a lot more expensive - looks like $70, versus about $35 for the non touchscreen version.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?
In reply to Emrik, 8 months ago

Emrik wrote:

Yes, i too would like to find out if the nex 6 and 7 have the same layer? Anyone with experience pls answer?

I have one scratch i would like to get rid of dead centre of screen on my 6. Would like to then use sony semi hard protector.

Can we buy the same anti glare film from sony and apply a new layer? The descriptions for all the screen protector range dont seem to mention Tru-black.

I've had many issues with this on NEX 7 bodies, and to my knowledge they do not have this layer or if they do it can't be peeled off...

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

Keit ll
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, 8 months ago

Marla2008 wrote:

Emrik wrote:

I've had many issues with this on NEX 7 bodies, and to my knowledge they do not have this layer or if they do it can't be peeled off...

That's what I used to think but the top layer is there & very well stuck on ! Replacement LCDs , however ,  do not have this ant-reflective layer.

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,687Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 8 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

Marla2008 wrote:

Emrik wrote:

That's what I used to think but the top layer is there & very well stuck on ! Replacement LCDs , however , do not have this ant-reflective layer.

The replacement LCD I got from DH Cameras was identical to the original and did indeed have the AR layer.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads