Best Flash for the D7100

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
Bullseyejoe
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Best Flash for the D7100
Apr 10, 2013

Hi , I am new to Photography with dslr cameras and I am about to buy the 7100 and wondered which would be the best flash to buy for general use , I wont be using the camera to excess, just average general use I guess. I did own the 7000 for a short while and bought a second hand sb600 flash which seemed to over expose the pics! Anyway I sold both as I got my heart set on the 7100 shortly after it was released,

Thanks in advance Andrew

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JeffryZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,949
Like?
Re: Best Flash for the D7100
In reply to Bullseyejoe, Apr 10, 2013

The SB600 is a good flash.  If you think it is over-exposing you can adjust the settings of the flash or your camera settings- cheaper than buying a new one.  I own two SB600 flashes and will continue to use them when my D7100 arrives (Just shipped today!).  I am normally set for Rear Curtain Sycn in Aperature Priority mode and use the EV exposure controls to adjust my exposure.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffryZ
Like?
In reply to JeffryZ, Apr 10, 2013

Curious why you sold your gear.  Since you refer to yourself as "new to DSLR" photography it sounds perhaps like you hadn't yet learned how to use it and get the most out of it.  Familiarize yourself better with it and then you will be able to get better pictures.

-- hide signature --
Bullseyejoe
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to JeffryZ, Apr 10, 2013

Yes you are probably right that I didn't get the best out of the 7000 as I only had it for 4 weeks but I decided to twist rather than stick and get most of my money back whilst I could and get the 7100.So the 600 flash would of been good enough then? Is there no reason to get the SB 700 or the 910 ? Thanks

hirejn
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?

The SB-600 is good for playing around. It's an archived product, so I have no problem recommending the SB-700 as a replacement, and used is a good option. The SB-910 is a pro flash. Anyone can buy it, but it's designed to keep up with the needs of pros. Flashes are the same in that they don't change the physics of light or how to use it. They don't differ in quality of light. A more expensive flash won't improve your flash photography.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography
The secret to great photography is no more in the equipment than the secret to great painting is in the brush.

hirejn's gear list:hirejn's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +8 more
JoeR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952Gear list
Like?

Bullseyejoe wrote:

Hi , I am new to Photography with dslr cameras and I am about to buy the 7100 and wondered which would be the best flash to buy for general use , I wont be using the camera to excess, just average general use I guess. I did own the 7000 for a short while and bought a second hand sb600 flash which seemed to over expose the pics! Anyway I sold both as I got my heart set on the 7100 shortly after it was released,

Thanks in advance Andrew

If money is not an issue get the SB910. Otherwise get the most powerful Nikon flash your budget allows. Learn how to use it and your flash photography will improve.
joer56

http://www.pbase.com/joer

JoeR's gear list:JoeR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
stevegep
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
In reply to hirejn, Apr 12, 2013

hirejn wrote:

The SB-600 is good for playing around. It's an archived product, so I have no problem recommending the SB-700 as a replacement, and used is a good option. The SB-910 is a pro flash. Anyone can buy it, but it's designed to keep up with the needs of pros. Flashes are the same in that they don't change the physics of light or how to use it. They don't differ in quality of light. A more expensive flash won't improve your flash photography.

-- hide signature --

Joel Nisleit Photography
The secret to great photography is no more in the equipment than the secret to great painting is in the brush.

I have an SB-600 and use it a lot.  For what I do, I wish I had a more powerful flash like the SB-910.

rosiesphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bullseyejoe, Apr 12, 2013

Bullseyejoe wrote:

Thanks in advance Andrew

SB600 speedlight is a good flash for a beginner. Overexposure is not caused by the speedlight, its most likely inexperience of the photographer. I would recommend starting with aperture priorty and TTL when using a speedlight.

rosiesphoto's gear list:rosiesphoto's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
sr71
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to rosiesphoto, Apr 13, 2013

Learn to command your devices and take the correct setting (exposure control for flash).
If you plan to use multiple flashes I would recommend the SB-910. But anyway this premium flash
is perfect. I use the SB-800/SB-600. Both are good but on newer speedlights you have more controls.

... if you need. Depends what you need. SB-600 could be a good start. The internal flash can also be used as master on the D7100.

herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,491Gear list
Like?
In reply to JoeR, Apr 13, 2013

JoeR wrote:

Bullseyejoe wrote:

Thanks in advance Andrew

If money is not an issue get the SB910. Otherwise get the most powerful Nikon flash your budget allows. Learn how to use it and your flash photography will improve.
joer56

http://www.pbase.com/joer

Overkill for most photographers, he'd probably never get the use out of it. Probably best sticking with the 600 for now, learning flash photography or getting a 700 new or used. He could then decide what his flash needs are. Nothing wrong with having more than one.

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416
Like?
SB700.....
In reply to Bullseyejoe, Apr 13, 2013

Provides excellent exposure results on my D7000 and D300s.  That said, I liked me SB800 (which recently died) was the most pleasing flash I've ever used. Considering the 900/910.

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

HankK
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
SB-700 for my D7100
In reply to olynik969, Apr 13, 2013

I tried the smaller SB-400 and still have it but the SB-700 provides better coverage and is not that large size wise.  I just liked the flash output a lot more.  You can also set flash exposure compensation on the flash.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Nikon D7100, Coolpix A, Fuji XE-1, Samsung NX20 (former D800E, 5DM2, RX100, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

JeffryZ
Like?
Re: SB-700 for my D7100
In reply to HankK, Apr 13, 2013

HankK wrote:

I tried the smaller SB-400 and still have it but the SB-700 provides better coverage and is not that large size wise.  I just liked the flash output a lot more.  You can also set flash exposure compensation on the flash.

-- hide signature --

Hank K
Nikon D7100, Coolpix A, Fuji XE-1, Samsung NX20 (former D800E, 5DM2, RX100, GH2 Kit, and Fujifilm X100 shooter)

I could be wrong (don't own one) but I believe the SB 400 cannot be used as a slave unit.  What this means is that as you improve with using your flash, you can't use it off- camera and use the built in flash to trigger it.  The light can be more appealing when it doesn't come from straight ahead.

-- hide signature --
Sern
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bullseyejoe, Apr 16, 2013

Bullseyejoe wrote:

Thanks in advance Andrew

A D7000 and an SB700 would probably be about the same price as a new D7100 and would be totally worth the money. I don't have any experience with the D7100 but have been using a D7000 now for seven or eight months. It was a an upgrade from the D60 I had been using since 2008. The D7000 is a very good camera for the money and for most people may be all the camera they ever need (I'm not trying to sound like Ken Rockwell). If your just taking pictures of family and friends an SB400 does a great job; I used one for three years and now need to upgrade for business purposes. The SB400 is limited when you want to get creative or need to take an image portrait style, monkey hand your camera. If you want to get technical, read Joe McNally's book "the HOT SHOE DIARIES". Moose Peterson has a decent article (IMHO) that may help explain flash a little better. Here is the link

http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/flash.html#basics

Good Luck

B. R. Sorensen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads