Cache & RPM important for second internal drive?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
mrp1124
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
Cache & RPM important for second internal drive?
Apr 10, 2013

I upgraded to a SSD a while back and it has been awesome, to say the least. Computer loads programs much faster and I haven't had photoshop die on me with the large (36 MP) files of the D800. I basically use my computer (13" macbook pro - 2009) for editing.

However, I need more storage space than what I currently have available in my HDD (500 GB), which is currently in the computer, replacing the DVD drive. I have 32 GB open - which is exactly the size of my CF memory card for my camera. Sad. I've been looking at upgrading to a new HDD and have found some options. I have some questions for you, but first some background:

- I am currently running all applications and OS from my SSD.

- All of my photos (and data) are on my HDD (Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB Hybrid Drive) which is internal to the computer (13" macbook pro)

- So when I go to edit a photo, the program uses the SSD (and the scratch disk from that), but it talks to the HDD, where the photos/data are kept.

Ok so now some questions:

- Will I see a difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM? I currently have a 7200 RPM HDD.

- Will I see a difference between 8, 16, and 32 MB of cache for my applications?

- I know that if it were my main drive, all of these would be attractive features, but since all it does is store the information (which I understand needs to be read and written by the SDD), I'm not sure how important they are.

I'm not planning on getting a new computer for at least another year, and could really use this new hard drive soon (when I graduate!). I have found these three HDD that I think fit the bill:

- ($85) HGST Travelstar 1 TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache

- ($80) Seagate Momentus 1 TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache

- ($120) Seagate Momentus XT 1 TB 7200 RPM 64MB (which is the upgraded version of what I have now)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mrp1124
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
Re: Cache & RPM important for second internal drive?
In reply to mrp1124, Apr 11, 2013
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,459
Like?
Re: Cache & RPM important for second internal drive?
In reply to mrp1124, Apr 11, 2013

Honestly, even the most perfunctory search would start giving you the answers as to the pluses/minuses of 5400 vs 7200 and disk cache size.

Yes, 7200 is better than 5400

Yes, larger cache is better than smaller cache

No, don't bother w/ the 5400

Yes, at the end of the day, you're talking about a $30 difference between the HDD and the hybrid yet your camera is a D800.  Just sayin it's a 1% cost of the camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads