Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 Presents: Single Shot HDR
In reply to _sem_, Apr 10, 2013

_sem_ wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

While there is clearly banding in the trees, it doesn't show up too strongly at 1600px across.  Nice composition.

Yep. Perhaps a touch-up with Dfine or Denoise would clean up the banding. Or one should revert to the D7000 for single-exposure HDR 

Nah, the D7100 definitely has more room for highlight recovery, and less splotchy chroma noise in shadows.   Not to mention the extremely accurate color reproduction (**drool!**).

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 10, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

_sem_ wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

While there is clearly banding in the trees, it doesn't show up too strongly at 1600px across.  Nice composition.

Yep. Perhaps a touch-up with Dfine or Denoise would clean up the banding. Or one should revert to the D7000 for single-exposure HDR 

Nah, the D7100 definitely has more room for highlight recovery, and less splotchy chroma noise in shadows.   Not to mention the extremely accurate color reproduction (**drool!**).

From comparisons online, I think the "less splotchy chroma noise in shadows" is not documented for the D7100, but rather the opposite is seen to be the case.

Here is a D7100 (left) vs D7000 (right) comparison of shadow noise on just a 2EV push (From http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/2013/04/nikon-d5200-and-d7100-band-aid.html):

D7100 vs D7000

I think its readily apparent, at least to my eyes, that the shadow noise AND banding is visible in the D7100 and not the D7000.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to AngryCorgi, Apr 11, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

_sem_ wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

From comparisons online, I think the "less splotchy chroma noise in shadows" is not documented for the D7100, but rather the opposite is seen to be the case.

Here is a D7100 (left) vs D7000 (right) comparison of shadow noise on just a 2EV push (From http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/2013/04/nikon-d5200-and-d7100-band-aid.html):

D7100 vs D7000

I think its readily apparent, at least to my eyes, that the shadow noise AND banding is visible in the D7100 and not the D7000.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Guess it depends on the situation.  Here's probably the best comparison image from my D7000:

1.  No NR

2.  Max NR possible in ACR

First image is processed the same way as the pic in the first post in this thread (very light chroma NR, no luma).  Second with a TON of noise reduction and color adjustment, including ACR moire reduction, which took almost 2 min to render in PS on my PC.  And my PC isn't a slouch (i7 2600K, GTX 570, 32GB RAM).  Still wasn't enough to fully quell the chroma noise, but much more usable.  Both are ISO 100 with major shadow lifting and highlight recovery.  By itself, the D7000 is very splotchy compared to how well behaved the D7100 was.  
Also, note that the D7100 pic is significantly cropped.  Here's the original vs crop:

Original vs Crop

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
howielenny
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 11, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

http://chrisfiorephotography.com/blog/upload/_DSC0678.jpg

D7100 + 17-55mm on the side of a freeway.

Been trying to enable hdr on my D7100 but yet to do so. Looking in the manual on page 115 seems easy to do. I have the camera on Aperture mode and when I go to the menu settings and try to choose HDR it says 
"This option is not available at current settings or in the cameras current state"

Any ideas?

howielenny's gear list:howielenny's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to howielenny, Apr 11, 2013

howielenny wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Been trying to enable hdr on my D7100 but yet to do so. Looking in the manual on page 115 seems easy to do. I have the camera on Aperture mode and when I go to the menu settings and try to choose HDR it says 
"This option is not available at current settings or in the cameras current state"

Any ideas?

In-camera HDR only works in full JPG mode, but if you know how to post process, using a RAW like above will give you a ton more flexibility and much higher image quality.  You absolutely need a tripod or a wide angle lens for in-camera HDR, since it won't align the photos for you, too.  And if anything's moving in the image, it won't turn out very well.

Good Camera
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?

That is one very very neat photo!!!!!!!!!!

howielenny
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

howielenny wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Any ideas?

In-camera HDR only works in full JPG mode, but if you know how to post process, using a RAW like above will give you a ton more flexibility and much higher image quality.  You absolutely need a tripod or a wide angle lens for in-camera HDR, since it won't align the photos for you, too.  And if anything's moving in the image, it won't turn out very well.

Cheers, just realised it only works in jpg mode. I doubt very much I'll use the hdr mode as I generally bracket images and run them through Photomatix but just couldn't work out why it wouldn't allow me to choose the setting.

Thanks.

howielenny's gear list:howielenny's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro +6 more
AngryCorgi
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

_sem_ wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

D7100 vs D7000

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Guess it depends on the situation.  Here's probably the best comparison image from my D7000:

1.  No NR

2.  Max NR possible in ACR

First image is processed the same way as the pic in the first post in this thread (very light chroma NR, no luma).  Second with a TON of noise reduction and color adjustment, including ACR moire reduction, which took almost 2 min to render in PS on my PC.  And my PC isn't a slouch (i7 2600K, GTX 570, 32GB RAM).  Still wasn't enough to fully quell the chroma noise, but much more usable.  Both are ISO 100 with major shadow lifting and highlight recovery.  By itself, the D7000 is very splotchy compared to how well behaved the D7100 was.  
Also, note that the D7100 pic is significantly cropped.  Here's the original vs crop:

Original vs Crop

Yeah, I'm pretty certain comparing two entirely different scenes probably isn't the most effective way to prove one's point.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

BlueBomberTurbo
Like?

AngryCorgi wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty certain comparing two entirely different scenes probably isn't the most effective way to prove one's point.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Not much else I can offer beyond my experience with the D7000, which I had since its launch till the D7100's launch.  Many of my daytime photos were pushed just as hard in post, and I did a lot of high ISO/low light shooting, including weddings.  The high ISO capabilities of Nikon's DSLRS are what drew me to them in the first place (starting with the D90), and I've definitely taken advantage of them in that time.

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo what software do you use for this single shot HDR technique?  I'm very intrigued and would like to dabble with it.

AngryCorgi
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Not much else I can offer beyond my experience with the D7000, which I had since its launch till the D7100's launch.  Many of my daytime photos were pushed just as hard in post, and I did a lot of high ISO/low light shooting, including weddings.  The high ISO capabilities of Nikon's DSLRS are what drew me to them in the first place (starting with the D90), and I've definitely taken advantage of them in that time.

I understand, I had a D90 and D7K as well.  But its hard to refute a test done between the two cameras with the same lighting and lens and scene, which is what I linked to.  I never got any real noise from a 2EV push with the D7K, but the D7100 sample from that link seems to behave differently from the D7K.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,315Gear list
Like?

Nice image!

Just an idea,...The green post in the middle of the foreground is a bit distracting, I tried cloning it out,  and the resulting composition worked much better IMO. Somehow your eye can travel over the image towards the main tree in a much freeer way when it's gone.

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?

Nexu1 wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo what software do you use for this single shot HDR technique?  I'm very intrigued and would like to dabble with it.

Adobe Camera Raw that comes with Adobe Photoshop.  You need Photoshop CS6 with the Camera Raw update 7.4 to be able to open D7100 files.

AngryCorgi wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I understand, I had a D90 and D7K as well.  But its hard to refute a test done between the two cameras with the same lighting and lens and scene, which is what I linked to.  I never got any real noise from a 2EV push with the D7K, but the D7100 sample from that link seems to behave differently from the D7K.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Were the camera settings exactly the same?  The exposure looks brighter on the right, and it also shows a good amount of amp glow, which can be hard to remove since it's all in the magenta and purple channels.  Also, the pic on the right is out of focus (at least in the background), so the noise would definitely look smoother without any detail to try to pick out.

potluck
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 12, 2013

Very nice photo!

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,414
Like?
Wow.... Great Shot &
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 12, 2013

I too like "juiced" images....

Well done!

bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,368
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 13, 2013

Not overdone, to me. Might have preferred if the image had been captured from slightly to the right. I’d loose the blown out area in the sky.

Pap

George Cifrancis
Regular MemberPosts: 391
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 14, 2013

That's a really cool shot!

-- hide signature --

George C.

Keyboard shortcuts: