D7100 Presents: Single Shot HDR

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
D7100 Presents: Single Shot HDR
Apr 10, 2013

http://chrisfiorephotography.com/blog/upload/_DSC0678.jpg

D7100 + 17-55mm on the side of a freeway.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
Re: D7100 Presents: Single Shot HDR
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Apr 10, 2013

BTW, how do I embed pics in posts, anyway?

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809
Like?

Slightly too juiced for my taste (a little too HDR'ish) but it's a nice shot.

What exactly is a one shot HDR?  Just processing done in camera?

mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,952Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Apr 10, 2013

Nexu1 wrote:

An HDR made by creating two or more pulled images from the original and then combining them using HDR techniques.  A-DL is a variant on this idea, and the D7100 has a 2-shot in-camera HDR as well. The D7000/D5100 is famous for having a dynamic range at ISO 100 large enough to permit this.  Some have worried that the extreme deep shadow weak pattern noise ("banding") of the D7100/D5200 would preclude such post processing tours de force, but apparently that isn't the case.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Apr 10, 2013

Nexu1 wrote:

Yup, that's a single image.  The main tree was pretty much black, and the skies close to white with the default rendering.  Pulled everything back in ACR.

And "juiced" is my style.  Even though most of my stuff isn't full out HDR, I don't really strive for realism.  I like lots of contrast, yet keeping detail in the extremes, along with lots of sharpness and saturation (though not to Ken Rockwell levels ).

Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

There are 3 icons on the right side of the ribbon just above the window where you enter your post. The 1st allows you to grab an image from the internet, the second from your computer, & the last from your DPReview gallery.

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,851
Like?
I don't mind the 'juice'

but I expected more trees....

lock

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Nexu1 wrote:

Yup, that's a single image.  The main tree was pretty much black, and the skies close to white with the default rendering.  Pulled everything back in ACR.

And "juiced" is my style.  Even though most of my stuff isn't full out HDR, I don't really strive for realism.  I like lots of contrast, yet keeping detail in the extremes, along with lots of sharpness and saturation (though not to Ken Rockwell levels ).

It's a cool image and definitley pops.  I like the composition.  Interesting foreground, leading line, tree in the middle, clouds and sunbeams...  fun image.  Nice job.

JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Nexu1 wrote:

When I read "too juiced" I was expecting the worst (think garish 2005-style, shudder), but I think the image is fine. Nice work!

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Breidablick
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?

I usually don't like overdone HDR either but this one is not too juiced for me - I like it, thanks for sharing! Maybe you could crop the very top of the picture - the larger part of the blown sunlight draws a bit too much attention. Great capture of those sunrays shining through the clouds. (As for "reality" I think many photopgraphers need to put that word into perspective and problematize it a bit.)

Breidablick's gear list:Breidablick's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +6 more
BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Apr 10, 2013

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

There are 3 icons on the right side of the ribbon just above the window where you enter your post. The 1st allows you to grab an image from the internet, the second from your computer, & the last from your DPReview gallery.

Bob in Baltimore

Awesome, thanks!  Thought it would be some kind of tagging system.  Could've sworn there was a list of how to do stuff in posts on an older version of the board...

lock wrote:

but I expected more trees....

lock

I'll see what I can do for you.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Nikolaï
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?

Nice job, I too think it has good balance as far as HDR goes

Nikolaï's gear list:Nikolaï's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,423
Like?

The pulled shadow area is really noisy... did you add grain in post processing or was it just there?

shuttervelocity
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?

When I opened the image, I went 'wow'.  Enuf said.    Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Sam

BlueBomberTurbo
Like?
In reply to blue_cheese, Apr 10, 2013

blue_cheese wrote:

The pulled shadow area is really noisy... did you add grain in post processing or was it just there?

It was there after processing.  Shadow slider maxed out, and the Black slider up a bit, too.  So shadow exposure increased a few stops.  Didn't use any luminance NR, since it killed all the fine detail.  Gonna shoot some calibration charts for Neat Image this weekend and see if I can smooth some stuff out without reducing detail.

DukeCC
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to Breidablick, Apr 10, 2013

I think it can work either way--cropped or not.  The blown highlight does pull my eye away from the center of the image, but the way the shot is composed it still works, for me anyway. Kind of a triangulated situation where I am looking at the tree, the sky, and the fence line to the left.  Plus, it shows the source for those streaks of light. Neat

What I do think I see is the need for a UWA lens.  When I think about the images I would take if I had one, this is a case where I think I would want it.  I could pull in closer on something of interest in the foreground (maybe the first post?) and still have the same overall shot.  At least that is what I think of when I consider purchasing one.

This shot works fine as-is, mind you.  The UWA could work, too, though?

Perfect application for HDR, too.

DukeCC's gear list:DukeCC's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
In reply to DukeCC, Apr 10, 2013

While there is clearly banding in the trees, it doesn't show up too strongly at 1600px across.  Nice composition.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,851
Like?
Smartphone issue
In reply to lock, Apr 10, 2013

Apparently my phone does not show the entire picture......

demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

http://chrisfiorephotography.com/blog/upload/_DSC0678.jpg

D7100 + 17-55mm on the side of a freeway.

I love this picture nice work.

-- hide signature --

My English is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,Nikon D3200 Samsung NX100 Fuji X10
Sony Nex3 Sony nex5n Sony hx100V
______

demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235
Like?
In reply to AngryCorgi, Apr 10, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

While there is clearly banding in the trees, it doesn't show up too strongly at 1600px across.  Nice composition.

Yep. Perhaps a touch-up with Dfine or Denoise would clean up the banding. Or one should revert to the D7000 for single-exposure HDR 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads