Sigma 4/3 Micro Lens Kit

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
esophoria
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Sigma 4/3 Micro Lens Kit
Apr 10, 2013

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Micro Four Thirds Lens Kit From B&H?

The price seems extroadinarily inexpensive ($199 US) for a two lens set.  I have used Sigma products for my Nikon cameras and have had great results.

esophoria's gear list:esophoria's gear list
Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4
rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 4/3 Micro Lens Kit
In reply to esophoria, Apr 10, 2013

There are numerous posts and threads about those two lenses. They generally get very good reviews. The only caveat is that f2.8 is on the slow side for primes but faster that most zooms. I have the 19mm and like it.

Interesting that they are back in stock at B&H. I may buy the set and sell the 19mm.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,821
Like?

esophoria wrote:

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Micro Four Thirds Lens Kit From B&H?

The price seems extroadinarily inexpensive ($199 US) for a two lens set.  I have used Sigma products for my Nikon cameras and have had great results.

I have the 30mm and I am quite enthusiastic about it. To me it is comparable with the 14/2.5 which is v. sharp too. I think I will use both as my travel/street kit.

Contrary to old hat opinion here I think that 2.8 is more than adequate for GP use, because of IBIS and the sensitivity of new sensors.

Therefore if you can find them at half the price, it's the deal of the century. The 30 is a v. solid lens, also in terms of true to life colours, lack of flare, and v. limited CA.

Am.

-- hide signature --
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,085Gear list
Like?

Grab them both. You will be happy with built quality and optical quality. And do not be anxious about some rattling inside lenses when they are  not powered by camera - this is normal for these lenses.

Just one thing that is not good: manual focus ring is kind of you would not like, so use AF only

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?
In reply to amalric, Apr 10, 2013

Pretty decent value for a reasonably good lens.

mfj197
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?

By all accounts good lenses, great for the price.  From memory of trawling through here though I believe any camera they are mounted on takes much longer to power up.  I think it's 2-3 seconds, versus less than a second for most cameras / lenses.

Michael

FredB
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
In reply to amalric, Apr 10, 2013

How do these differ from the new DN "A" versions that were released?

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
pegasus1457
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?

I bought the 30mm about 6 months ago, and am quite pleased with it.  It is sharp enough for my requirements, and it nicely fills the gap between my 20mm f/1.7 and my 45-200. The 2.8 is not a problem for me since I use it for street shooting and short DOF is not a requirement.

My only complaint is that I paid $150 for the one lens.  The package of 2 is a real bargain.

pegasus1457
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?
confirmed
In reply to mfj197, Apr 10, 2013

The OM-D with the 30mm requires about 2 seconds more to power up than the 20mm f/1.7.

I had not been aware of this difference until reading your post.

Not that this is a show stopper....

amalric
Like?
In reply to FredB, Apr 10, 2013

FredB wrote:

I tried to enquire, but it's probably too soon. Don't let yourself be discouraged by lamers who never tried the lenses. With the old version MF is delightfully damped, startup is negligible, and clicking noise more or less invention.

They are green with envy that having forked for the PL 25/1,4 and its rattlesnaking, you can have a lens as good at 2.8 for 1/5th of the price, with no rattlesnaking. That's the sad and funny truth

Am.

-- hide signature --
rsmithgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?
 rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Sudo Nimh
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to FredB, Apr 10, 2013

FredB wrote:

The difference is mainly cosmetic, and the new 30mm comes with a hood.

Sudo Nimh
Like?

mfj197 wrote:

By all accounts good lenses, great for the price.  From memory of trawling through here though I believe any camera they are mounted on takes much longer to power up.  I think it's 2-3 seconds, versus less than a second for most cameras / lenses.

There's little or no delay on my E-PL2. Maybe one second. It's inconsequential.

Sudo Nimh
Like?

esophoria wrote:

Yes, it's a great deal, I took it a couple months ago and fortunately was still able to return the copies of the lenses that I had just bought separately. I have no complaints about the lenses.

Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796Gear list
Like?

I recently purchased the 19mm/f2.8 lens for $124.   I found the lens to be surprisingly sharp, and have gotten some nice indoor shots - the 2.8 works for me!   Even at $124 the lens is an incredible bargain.

Enjoy!  I think you'll be quite pleased with both from what I've read about the 30mm/f2.8 also.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
sarlo100
Senior MemberPosts: 1,323Gear list
Like?
It's a steal

Best bang for buck you'll get in the m4/3 world.  If the 38 and 60mm focal length works for you, then this is THE deal to grab.

As long as you are happy with 38 and 60.  If you're not, then this has no value for you.

sarlo100's gear list:sarlo100's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +8 more
amalric
Like?
Re: It's a steal
In reply to sarlo100, Apr 10, 2013

sarlo100 wrote:

Best bang for buck you'll get in the m4/3 world.  If the 38 and 60mm focal length works for you, then this is THE deal to grab.

As long as you are happy with 38 and 60.  If you're not, then this has no value for you.

LOL. You just take two steps back and have a 35 and a 50mm respectively

Am.

-- hide signature --
KenBalbari
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

Yes, great deal.  Haven't had a chance to put mine to too much use yet, but impressed so far. I think anyone on a budget ought to snatch these up while they're available.  I'm not sure how long this deal will continue, they could be just clearing out stock to replace them with the newer version.

Basically, they do their job admirably.  They give you a decent step up in both sharpness and maximum apperture from any of the inexpensive zooms.  And only fall a bit short of the primes from Olympus and Panasonic which cost at least 3x as much.

I also think they look pretty decent:

E-PL2 with Sigma 30mm f2.8

KenBalbari's gear list:KenBalbari's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL2
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is a nice little lens

esophoria wrote:

I've never been a big fan of the 30mm focal length, but I recently picked up the 19mm on a whim. It's a great little lens, if you're willing to accept the f/2.8 aperture.

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Droogie45
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 19mm f/2.8 is a nice little lens
In reply to Elemental Photography, Apr 10, 2013

Got both lenses when they were running the $199 for the 19 and 30 special. Great lenses. Fast start up. And they both came with great cases and a hood for the 19.

Droogie45's gear list:Droogie45's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads