Don't drop your SX50. It's expensive. :-)

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
Andrew McP
Contributing MemberPosts: 585
Like?
Re: dont' drop your iphone
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 15, 2013

Fortunately for me I have never been tempted to spend so much on a phone, and I don't need a contract. So my Android phone cost me considerably less than my camera. In fact there's more credit on it than it cost as the moment.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andrew McP
Like?
Re: Don't drop your SX50. It's expensive. :-)
In reply to Andrew McP, Apr 27, 2013

Every story needs an ending, and in this case a pretty happy one. Thomas Camera Services in Kent scared me with their initial quote for a replacement lens assembly, but managed to repair rather than renew the lens. I now have a fully functioning SX50 back in my clumsy hands. It cost me 90ukp including postage both ways and VAT@20%, which seems like a fair price given the intricate work required to tackle this kind of kit.

Now all I need to fix is the darned sciatica which has kept me indoors for the last four weeks! I'd pay significantly more than £90 for an end to that.

Here endeth the cautionary tale.

Sue K
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrew McP, Apr 27, 2013

Glad you camera's "all better"  --  wish your back was too! 

-- hide signature --

Sue K

Sue K's gear list:Sue K's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX200 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Andrew McP
Like?
In reply to Sue K, Apr 28, 2013

Like the camera, my back problem was at least partly self-inflicted, thanks to working too hard in the hectic run up to Easter. My judgement hasn't been very good this year. :->

Stakeouttoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrew McP, Apr 28, 2013

as Murry mentioned... if you purchased the SX50 from Amazon with a Credit Card.. might be worth checking with the Credit Card company if they'll cover the repair since you did it already..

as an example..I used my Amex card to buy  my now old Xsi a few years ago... they extend the Canon warranty to double or up to 5 years... I now had a 2 year warranty one from Canon the other extended from Amex....a week before the two years was up I filed a claim .. Amex paid it  ..$206US   I always use my Amex card these days to buy major electronics like cameras.. computers..TV's  not sure if other credit card companies do the same..

-- hide signature --

Ray
my Canon 60d sure beats using that ol' Petri 7s

Stakeouttoo's gear list:Stakeouttoo's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Don Trust
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?
In reply to Andrew McP, Apr 28, 2013

Glad to hear your camera is fixed without breaking the bank.

I don't mean to change the course of this thread, but this may be interesting nonetheless....

The cameras of today, with all the sophistication, reliance on electronics, etc, and the relatively low prices compared to years past and you drop situation reminds me of my experience dropping a camera.  It was about 30-35 years ago.  The camera was a 35mm Nikormat ELW.  All metal body, had a 50mm lens attached, and not in any kind of case.  It was sitting in the backseat of my car, and when I reached in to get my child out of his car seat, I managed to catch my finger on the camera strap.  Picked the kiddo out of the car, bringing the camera with me.  The camera went done on the concrete driveway from about 3 feet, rolled about 20 feet down the driveway end over end, and came to rest against the garage door.

The only damage was only , remarkably, a scratch on the back door of the body, and a small dink in the edge of the front of the lens.  Didn't even affect screwing on a filter!  that camera worked perfectly for the next 25 years.

I can't imagine any camera of today surviving that kind of disaster intact.  Not that i want to give up any of the bells and whistles of today's wonder machines.  I have an SX40 and a 60D, and dread the day I ever drop either of them.

Andrew McP
Like?
In reply to Don Trust, Apr 29, 2013

I can't imagine any camera of today surviving that kind of disaster intact.

Neither can I. But then a camera with the same kind of basic abilities is significantly less expensive now than it was back then. So, on average, we probably come out ahead.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity though, and back in film days I was more worried about the films than the reliability of the camera!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads