Single-bay charger for EN-EL18 battery?

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,668Gear list
Like?
Single-bay charger for EN-EL18 battery?
Apr 10, 2013

I'd like to get an EN-EL18 battery for my D800 grip.   The cost of the battery is bad enough, but $400 for a MH-26 dual-bay charger is just too much, if there is an alternative.

Since I will only have a single battery for the foreseeable future, and I'd like to have a smaller charger for travel, is there an alternative charger for the EN-EL18?   One that someone here has personal experience with and can vouch for?

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,749Gear list
Like?
Re: Single-bay charger for EN-EL18 battery?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 10, 2013

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

[snip] but $400 for a MH-26 dual-bay charger is just too much, if there is an alternative.

First of all MH-26 sells for $300 not $400. However, I agree, that even $300 sounds ridiculously high for a charger.

You should try Craigslist (or any other local classifieds) as I have seen people selling their spare MH-26 for far less. Most of those ad's typically claim that they are selling their spare charger as each of their cameras came with a charger.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 10, 2013

Was looking yesterday, and say:

Samys $399

Then I saw somewhere else $378, and I was pretty sure I saw a similar price from B&H.

Today, $299 at B&H and Adorama.  Weird.

Regardless, it's not only too expensive, it's too big - too much!   With only one battery, I have no need for a dual-slot charger.

I can't believe someone doesn't make a separate charger and that you have to buy the Nikon one.    Come on, that's over $400 just to add a decent battery to the D800!

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Roy Kikuta
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?

The problem is that  the few sites that advertise mh-26 compatible single bay chargers don't inspire much confidence - here's an example: http://www.my-chargers.com/mh-26-nikon-charger.htm

Roy Kikuta
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roy Kikuta, Apr 10, 2013

Apologies for being slightly off-topic, but here's a new product for folks who use both D3 and D4 might be interested in: http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Power-Chargers/27112/MH-26aAK-Adapter-Kit.html

Now, why couldn't Nikon have released their D4 with this charger?  It would have reduced the number of complaints from those who use both bodies (EN-EL4a and EN-EL18).

lnaru78
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

I was on the same boat and was looking for a charger a few weeks ago. My camera bag got stolen with the charger in it along with a few lenses. Thankfully, I was shooting with the camera and thats safe. Cutting to the chase, I looked all over for a third party replacement and found none. I even called several b&m stores like batteries plus and they said they have a replacement battery but not the charger.

The sites that other people are referring to dont have this charger and you will get an error when you actually try to order one. Atleast, I did when I tried to order.

I ended up buying another mh-26 from ebay for around $260 and it seems to work great. Its an awful lot for a charger but left with no other choice, you have to get one for that price. Good luck.

ejw07
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roy Kikuta, Apr 11, 2013

Hey Prad...seen them for $$$399 here..so what u looking at.. Been trying to pick one for ages now..

-- hide signature --

E. j. W.

ejw07's gear list:ejw07's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
DigitalJay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?
I ordered one of these....
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 11, 2013

...from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Smatree-EN-EL18A-EN-EL18-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion/dp/B008VOP12Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365685356&sr=8-1&keywords=smatree+en-el18

It woks well, and has a built-in charger. Comes with AC and D/C cords. I have the EN-EL4a for my D700, but couldn't justify the increased cost for the big battery that doesn't increase my frame rate. Originally, I planned to use it just when cleaning the shutter, but have since reconsidered and just use it period.

Jay

DigitalJay's gear list:DigitalJay's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1
BlueHeron74
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Apr 11, 2013

The DSTE batteries come with a plugin battery charger and car charger.   All it is a small transformer that plugs into a hole in their battery.   It makes a compact traveling kit.

I went the DSTE route because I wanted the higher capacity battery.   There website says the battery is compatible with their battery grip and the original battery grip.   I read a post a couple days saying the battery worked in a D4, but if I had a D4, I doubt I use the battery in it.  All the normal warnings about attaching a cheap Chinese knockoff battery to an expensive camera.  But for a $40 battery (with accessories), I don't have anything to complain about.

BlueHeron74's gear list:BlueHeron74's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +22 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
Re: I ordered one of these....
In reply to DigitalJay, Apr 11, 2013

Hmm.  $40, versus $400-500.   I think I may at least give this a try!

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Alec
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?
In reply to BlueHeron74, 9 months ago

BlueHeron74 wrote:

The DSTE batteries come with a plugin battery charger and car charger. All it is a small transformer that plugs into a hole in their battery. It makes a compact traveling kit.

I went the DSTE route because I wanted the higher capacity battery. There website says the battery is compatible with their battery grip and the original battery grip. I read a post a couple days saying the battery worked in a D4, but if I had a D4, I doubt I use the battery in it. All the normal warnings about attaching a cheap Chinese knockoff battery to an expensive camera. But for a $40 battery (with accessories), I don't have anything to complain about.

I use a pair of these DSTE EN-EL18 batteries in my D800.

They're a great value and work well much of the time. I say "Much" because they introduce a stability problem when the camera is in a LiveView mode. The camera, if powered solely by the DSTE EN-EL18 in the grip, would lock up immediately or shortly after entering LiveView (stills or movie mode) if the battery is anything less than fully charged. Electronically, the battery presents itself to the camera in a simplified way as an AA pack, even though its output voltage is less. Ebay sellers of DSTE have confirmed as much after some evasiveness, after being confronted with the issue.

Setting the battery chemistry in the camera to NiMh helps somewhat. Leaving a fully charged EN-EL15 in the camera sidesteps the issue (even with the camera set to draw power from EN-EL18 first), though I haven't tested how much the camera ends up leaning on EN-EL15.

Alexander "Sasha" Karasev
principal photographer
Karasev Studio
http://karasevstudio.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads